The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 June 2020, 09:35 AM   #1
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Picked up this guy for $1.00

and it runs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 10:46 AM   #2
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Picked up this guy for $1.00

Swiss Made!

Very cool! Reminds me of my childhood one.

Get yourself a new strap. Is it a plastic crystal? If so you can polish it. The case and bezel can be polished too. Looks to be all uniform finish.

You can restore it!

Sent from Crapatalk
Old 21 June 2020, 10:54 AM   #3
lamfactor
"TRF" Member

This is very cool
Bradley and Disney have a pretty strong partnership in 70s. Pretty cool design and contemporary pieces these days -

“... One of the most collectable and functional Swiss Movement Mickey Mouse Watches has to be the ubiquitous and retrospective Bradley Pie Eye Mickey Mouse Watch of the early 70s, the earliest design as displayed above. The packaging and presentation was consistently similar to the Timex/Ingersoll design, with the broad black strap and lined black plastic box displaying the legend 'Bradley' on the top of the lid and 'Bradley Times' logo with 'Mickey Mouse' and copyright Walt Disney Productions inside.
The design of the watch face consisted of a retrospective Mickey Mouse styling with white face, long snout, slim body and with 'Pie Eyes', a feature of the early Mickey Mouse illustrations of 'Steam Boat Willie'.
There were two main types of 'Pie Eye' Mickeys introduced, the earlier version was leaner with the right foot treading on the Nº7 numeral, with spindly hands and the sole of this shoe displaying a lined tread. The second version sometimes referred to as 'Fat Boy' displays a shorter rounder Mickey clearly centred on the dial with clean sole and similar or larger hands (depending on assembly)....”

lamfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 10:56 AM   #4
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
Swiss Made!

Very cool! Reminds me of my childhood one.

Get yourself a new strap. Is it a plastic crystal? If so you can polish it. The case and bezel can be polished too. Looks to be all uniform finish.

You can restore it!

Sent from Crapatalk

Took some polywatch to it and it came out great! I think the lugs are 16mm. Might look for a red leather strap. I’m strange like that.

I’ve had it on for a couple hours and it’s still to the minute. Once this Covid calms down, I might take it to a local watchmaker to service it. From the research I’ve done, it’s from the early 70s.

Old 21 June 2020, 11:33 AM   #5
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

This is a bargain find. Nice work.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 01:26 PM   #6
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
Took some polywatch to it and it came out great! I think the lugs are 16mm. Might look for a red leather strap. I’m strange like that.

I’ve had it on for a couple hours and it’s still to the minute. Once this Covid calms down, I might take it to a local watchmaker to service it. From the research I’ve done, it’s from the early 70s.

I wouldn’t even bother to service it! It would cost you a small fortune for that! You can probably dab some oil on it. It’s probably zero or maybe one jewel movement.

Sent from Crapatalk
Old 21 June 2020, 11:27 PM   #7
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamfactor View Post
This is very cool
Bradley and Disney have a pretty strong partnership in 70s. Pretty cool design and contemporary pieces these days -

“... One of the most collectable and functional Swiss Movement Mickey Mouse Watches has to be the ubiquitous and retrospective Bradley Pie Eye Mickey Mouse Watch of the early 70s, the earliest design as displayed above. The packaging and presentation was consistently similar to the Timex/Ingersoll design, with the broad black strap and lined black plastic box displaying the legend 'Bradley' on the top of the lid and 'Bradley Times' logo with 'Mickey Mouse' and copyright Walt Disney Productions inside.
The design of the watch face consisted of a retrospective Mickey Mouse styling with white face, long snout, slim body and with 'Pie Eyes', a feature of the early Mickey Mouse illustrations of 'Steam Boat Willie'.
There were two main types of 'Pie Eye' Mickeys introduced, the earlier version was leaner with the right foot treading on the Nº7 numeral, with spindly hands and the sole of this shoe displaying a lined tread. The second version sometimes referred to as 'Fat Boy' displays a shorter rounder Mickey clearly centred on the dial with clean sole and similar or larger hands (depending on assembly)....”

Thanks for the information! From what you provided, I seem to have the latter model.

Old 22 June 2020, 02:03 AM   #8
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

WOW! Great score and hope you get her restored.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 03:46 AM   #9
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Awesome! $1 that is great. It's a fun watch for sure. Enjoy!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 07:17 AM   #10
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
and it runs!

I owned this same watch when I was 6. Great pick-up! Man, you can't even buy a candy bar for $1 any more, so well worth it.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 01:30 PM   #11
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Mine says hi

Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote