The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 6 July 2020, 05:52 AM   #1
mrscuderia
Banned

Watch: ing the market
Glashutte VS. A Lange

Derived from the same company but split up into 2 different entities when given the chance.

2 very different price points, anyone have any experience owning a glashutte might pick one up soon, they seem extremely well made and worth every dollar.
mrscuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 08:10 AM   #2
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I have had both. Glashutte Original offers exceptional value and Lange & Sohne is a step up, but you'll be paying for it.

The finishing is probably the most noticeable difference, but there are some things I preferred on my panomatic lunar like how the date discs were level instead of offset like on my Lange 1.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 09:46 AM   #3
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

at one point I owned 3 GOs and then slowly got into Lange.. Now I own 3 Langes and one GO... The GO I still have and like is the GO Senator Observer I sold. the GO Senator Chronometer and eventually sold the GO Panoreserve. The Senator Chronometer was not comfortable on my wrist.
GO is a nice brand and relatively priced well. But the finishing and some of the complications Lange offers are unmatchable
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 11:27 AM   #4
Pongster
"TRF" Member

I own one GO (a senator perpetual) and two ALS (a grand lange moonphase and a zeitwerk).

A GO is great. In every respect.

But when compared side by side to an ALS, you would readily see why there is a signficant difference in the price points.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 12:37 PM   #5
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Watch: Journe, AP & Lange
GO makes some great watches, so does Lange. Big difference is that GO has most models in Steel whereas Lange generally does precious metal, plus the finishing is better on Lange.

I think GO has more interesting watches from a aesthetic standpoint, Lange is very conservative in their styling. GO does make some very high end watches, but Lange certainly is more comfortable in the high complication sphere.

Personally, I prefer Lange watches, as I value the finishing, value precious metals and have a more conservative style.

They are really different watches that don’t really have many models that directly compare with another. Probably more useful to compare specific model than brands, as you are just buying a watch, not a brand.
Slider817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 02:54 PM   #6
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

GO makes incredible watches.

ALS is three steps up from there. At least.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 11:40 PM   #7
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Among Glashütte manufactures, what’s heirarchy?

Is it a clear 1 - ALS and 2 - GO?
Old 7 July 2020, 12:17 AM   #8
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
I have had both. Glashutte Original offers exceptional value and Lange & Sohne is a step up, but you'll be paying for it.

The finishing is probably the most noticeable difference, but there are some things I preferred on my panomatic lunar like how the date discs were level instead of offset like on my Lange 1.
You see, I really love the 'offset' of Lange's dates. The three-dimensionality of their complications give the superficially simple dials a depth that is pretty unique among its peers. You can get lost in a Lange dial - I often do.

No disrespect to GO, but the two companies are not playing in the same ballpark.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 01:08 AM   #9
Cayenne06
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: VC Overseas DT
I have a GO Senator Perpetual and it is a fine piece. I do not/have not owned Lange, but have seen them in the flesh, and they are a step (or 2) above. For the money and options (SS, WG, RG) in almost all their models GO is hard to beat (especially pre-owned).
Cayenne06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 01:53 AM   #10
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscuderia View Post
Derived from the same company but split up into 2 different entities when given the chance.

2 very different price points, anyone have any experience owning a glashutte might pick one up soon, they seem extremely well made and worth every dollar.
Just to clarify on your first point, the story of the birth of these two companies is quite a messy one.

The original A. Lange & Söhne was first founded in 1845, and they were the first company to set up in the town of Glashütte. In the years that followed, a community of watchmakers grew, and it became a real watchmaking hub in Germany.

The story gets difficult post WW2. Glashütte is about as far East as you can go in Germany (it's about the same distance from Dresden as it is from Prague), so after the culmination of the war, the town was situated in the newly created GDR. As happened with many businesses, all of the watchmaking companies in Glashütte were seized and run collectively, becoming known as GUB. In terms of the Lange family, after losing the family business and property, Walter Lange fled to West Germany to pursue his own interests in watchmaking. Whilst he could have continued the A. Lange & Söhne name, he took a vow to revive the brand in its rightful home of Glashütte if and when Germany was reunited.

He had to wait until 1990 to realise that dream, reincorporating the company 145 years to the day that his great grandfather FA Lange founded the original company. Here's the rub - the modern A. Lange & Söhne is a new company. Walter Lange was unable to get the rights to the original company from GUB, so essentially a gentleman's agreement was met. GUB would become Glashütte Original, and be able to (correctly) say they have been making watches since 1845. A. Lange & Söhne would be able to celebrate their own brand heritage and reclaim their own identity.

These days, the two brands are totally separate entities. Lange falls under the umbrella of the Richemont group of brands, and Glashütte Original are part of the Swatch Group. Still, I think it's fair to say that both brands have the right to be proud of their respective stories and heritage, and they both produce superlative products for their price points.

Chris
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 01:55 AM   #11
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
Just to clarify on your first point, the story of the birth of these two companies is quite a messy one.

The original A. Lange & Söhne was first founded in 1845, and they were the first company to set up in the town of Glashütte. In the years that followed, a community of watchmakers grew, and it became a real watchmaking hub in Germany.

The story gets difficult post WW2. Glashütte is about as far East as you can go in Germany (it's about the same distance from Dresden as it is from Prague), so after the culmination of the war, the town was situated in the newly created GDR. As happened with many businesses, all of the watchmaking companies in Glashütte were seized and run collectively, becoming known as GUB. In terms of the Lange family, after losing the family business and property, Walter Lange fled to West Germany to pursue his own interests in watchmaking. Whilst he could have continued the A. Lange & Söhne name, he took a vow to revive the brand in its rightful home of Glashütte if and when Germany was reunited.

He had to wait until 1990 to realise that dream, reincorporating the company 145 years to the day that his great grandfather FA Lange founded the original company. Here's the rub - the modern A. Lange & Söhne is a new company. Walter Lange was unable to get the rights to the original company from GUB, so essentially a gentleman's agreement was met. GUB would become Glashütte Original, and be able to (correctly) say they have been making watches since 1845. A. Lange & Söhne would be able to celebrate their own brand heritage and reclaim their own identity.

These days, the two brands are totally separate entities. Lange falls under the umbrella of the Richemont group of brands, and Glashütte Original are part of the Swatch Group. Still, I think it's fair to say that both brands have the right to be proud of their respective stories and heritage, and they both produce superlative products for their price points.

Chris
It's a great story, Chris. And quite a testament that two marques can now rightfully lay claim to their positions at the top of their respective trees.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 03:25 AM   #12
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
Among Glashütte manufactures, what’s heirarchy?

Is it a clear 1 - ALS and 2 - GO?
I’m not sure it can be put in such terms. If you don’t compete on the same track, you don’t end up on the same podium.

GO makes great industrial watches, as do many Swiss brands. Think of the quality as between JLC at the lower end and Blancpain at the upper end (though the latter only on isolated pieces), all of which at mostly fair prices.

Lange on the other side makes hand finished watches, not comparable with any industrial manufacturer. They exist in a world that starts with Breguet at the very bottom. Their competitive landscape among the big brands is populated by Vacheron, Patek, etc. or by talented independents.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 04:01 AM   #13
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Love them all. See my signature ;-)

Will rate ALS slightly above Patek. There is something about high-end German engineering you cannot beat.

GO is a solid watch for daily wear or for those occasions where ALS is a bit too much. Finishing on the lower end models is okay. The most noticeable difference is the degree of beveling or lack of thereof. The date mechanism is probably the best in the industry. The digits are in the same plane and dates change almost right away at midnight. The Chronometer has some super cool functionality.

Don't debate, get both.
Old 7 July 2020, 08:12 AM   #14
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
I found GO very thick on the wrist and certainly Lange’s slimmer case, movement finishing are noticeably better. For the price GO is a super watch but Lange is also worth its price point of entry.
ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 09:36 PM   #15
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
I’m not sure it can be put in such terms. If you don’t compete on the same track, you don’t end up on the same podium.

GO makes great industrial watches, as do many Swiss brands. Think of the quality as between JLC at the lower end and Blancpain at the upper end (though the latter only on isolated pieces), all of which at mostly fair prices.

Lange on the other side makes hand finished watches, not comparable with any industrial manufacturer. They exist in a world that starts with Breguet at the very bottom. Their competitive landscape among the big brands is populated by Vacheron, Patek, etc. or by talented independents.

So ALS is Premier League and GO is First Division?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 July 2020, 02:13 AM   #16
ZeGerman11
"TRF" Member

I had a GO (see signature) for about a year, several years back. It was a bit thick, but other than that it was a great watch. Excellent timekeeping, pano date was cool, and quality was there in spades. I used the micro adjustments in the clasp almost daily. Such a nice feature that I miss from time to time. Very well executed with the logo being a button to loosen the adjustment.

No issues when I sold it. I tend to get bored with watches after a year or so and move on to something different. Damn nice watch though, and I have been entertaining the idea of the new Sea Q pano date for a while now. Haven’t found one at a price I like, but if I do, I have no reservations about owning GO again.
ZeGerman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 05:14 AM   #17
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Nice summary

Quote:

Chris
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 05:19 AM   #18
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:

Chris
Good to see you here, Chris
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 05:55 AM   #19
mrscuderia
Banned

Watch: ing the market
Quote:

Chris
Thanks for clearing it up the history behind it is pretty cool
mrscuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 10:51 PM   #20
themast
"TRF" Member

Many insightful posts already.

I don’t have much to add. I own a Panomatic Lunar and I have tried on few Lange watches. As others have stated, GO represents a great value but movements are not finished to the level of Lange. Another aspect that I think is important is that beyond some off-center dial designs, the two companies have distinct design languages with GO leaning a bit more on the casual side.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 10:56 PM   #21
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Chris
Interesting. I think this is the best explanation I've met.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 03:33 AM   #22
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Chris
Great info Chris
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 01:59 PM   #23
le_baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post

I own a watch from each company and agree with the above-quoted sentiments.

GO makes what I consider to be the best-finished sub-$20,000 steel watches—in both dress and sport categories. Lange, on the other hand, makes the best-finished watches on the entire market (perhaps exceeded only by a handful of independents) and primarily offers them in the dress category.

Out of the three watches in my collection, I wear my GO the most; but I feel the most excited when I wear my Lange.