The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 17 June 2019, 07:48 PM   #31
zuber
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Ok, I have got the response from RSC St James's Square:

"...we are unable to offering servicing facilities for this watch owing to the fact that it has been heavily modified. The original dial, hands and insert have been removed from this watch and replaced with those that would be found on 16610."

What do you think should I do with Watchfinder now?
Should I claim my money back as the watch has been modified? I bought is as 16610 and I have got Watchfinder's certificate saying it is 16610.

RSC confirmed that the watch was born as 16610LV.
zuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 08:31 PM   #32
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I think you have confirmation that the watch is infact an LV and is a genuine Rolex watch.
If it were me, I would try source the correct dial, hands and bezel insert and convert it back to an LV which is a far more expensive watch.. you have won a watch there (as they say).

Others may see this differently.. but I would go with the above, that's me..
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 08:56 PM   #33
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuber View Post

"...we are unable to offering servicing facilities for this watch owing to the fact that it has been heavily modified. The original dial, hands and insert have been removed from this watch and replaced with those that would be found on 16610."

Should I claim my money back as the watch has been modified? I bought is as 16610 and I have got Watchfinder's certificate saying it is 16610.

I’d push them on that. Sounds ridiculous to me. They ‘heavily modify’ subs every day from original tritium dials and hands to luminova stuff and fit incorrect bezel inserts!

I’d hold out for a while and try and push Rolex as WF May well be keen to get it back anyway.
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 08:56 PM   #34
antrolexsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Tell Rolex to return the watch to original specifications.
antrolexsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 08:58 PM   #35
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antrolexsub View Post
Tell Rolex to return the watch to original specifications.
Of course.. this! That would be far more cost effective than sourcing parts yourself.
Old 17 June 2019, 08:59 PM   #36
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:

Why did the RSC not give you a price to return this watch to original?

Aren’t dials , hands and inserts often replaced during servicing?

Were there other issues?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 09:55 PM   #37
zuber
"TRF" Member

First I asked for service quote. They replied with the quote indeed but the watch has been recognized as 16610.

Then I sent them a photo of the watch with papers and the green tag, that says 16610LV.
They inspected the watch again and confirmed that it is modified 16610LV to 16610.

I have asked them again, is it really not possible to bring the watch to its initial state and here is a reply:

" Regrettably, the black maxi dial and green bezel insert for a 16610LV are supplied on a strict Geneva exchange basis only, therefore we are unable to obtain these components unless we have the originals to return.

We would suggest taking this matter up with your point of purchase"

So, any chances? What do you think?
Old 17 June 2019, 10:18 PM   #38
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

I think that is understandable. You have two options: return it to WF or go with my plan above..
Old 17 June 2019, 10:19 PM   #39
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Simple questions
Presuming all The changed parts are Rolex genuine.
If the watch had not come the LV hang Tag would you
1) have known
2) cared
You obviously bought a LN based on looks?

Now in my opinion if you feel cheated, just ask watchfinder for a full refund or swop
To an LV.

WHAT MODEL do you really want??
Old 17 June 2019, 10:20 PM   #40
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Or option 3.. do nothing.
Old 17 June 2019, 10:21 PM   #41
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

I think part of the problem the OP has is, he has a watch that RSC have shunned and will not service.
Old 17 June 2019, 10:38 PM   #42
zuber
"TRF" Member

I bought is as black and I was looking for black. I just wanted to have it authenticated by RSC and most likely get it serviced and have warranty under my name.

When RSC said the watch has been heavily modified I was confused and I just wanted RSC to bring it back to the original state (green) and have warranty under my name.

Knowing the prices of 16610LV now I could sell it, but I would rather keep the watch (green) after service.

I wanted to have geniune one (not modified) and ended up with frankenwatch.

Now, what would happen if I get all original parts (dial, hands and bezel) replaced? Would RSC be happy to serivice it then?
Old 17 June 2019, 10:40 PM   #43
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Yes I think they would.
Old 17 June 2019, 11:49 PM   #44
rolexinfl
"TRF" Member

Find an independent watchmaker, have them source real Rolex bezel/hands/dial - and you basically profit and now own a highly more sought after watch than the 16610 you originally wanted?

Whats the issue?
rolexinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 12:03 AM   #45
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
FYI.

Hi OP. There is a set of 16610lv hands in the for sale section.
Old 18 June 2019, 12:03 AM   #46
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I bought is as black and I was looking for black. I just wanted to have it authenticated by RSC and most likely get it serviced and have warranty under my name.

When RSC said the watch has been heavily modified I was confused and I just wanted RSC to bring it back to the original state (green) and have warranty under my name.

Knowing the prices of 16610LV now I could sell it, but I would rather keep the watch (green) after service.

I wanted to have geniune one (not modified) and ended up with frankenwatch.

Now, what would happen if I get all original parts (dial, hands and bezel) replaced? Would RSC be happy to serivice it then?
do you want black or green?

Send watch back to WATCHFINDER for full refund and buy what you want.

You are NEVER going to be happy with this watch and it will NEVER be original.
Old 18 June 2019, 01:07 AM   #47
forcinitijp
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 14060M/214270
Take out the bezel, the hands and the dial with a watchmaker ... sell them ... and take the watch to Rolex so that they can add the original components ... and solve the problem ...
forcinitijp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 01:25 AM   #48
zuber
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcinitijp View Post
Take out the bezel, the hands and the dial with a watchmaker ... sell them ... and take the watch to Rolex so that they can add the original components ... and solve the problem ...
Is it possible to do that? When they (RSC) are saying:

“…therefore we are unable to obtain these components unless we have the originals to return.”
Old 18 June 2019, 01:33 AM   #49
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:

“…therefore we are unable to obtain these components unless we have the originals to return.”
Correct.
Old 18 June 2019, 02:36 AM   #50
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
That won‘t work as Rolex would not work on a watch that has no dial.
How do I know? I‘ve tried it.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 02:59 AM   #51
forcinitijp
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Go to Rome RSC in Rome everything is possible ! From UK 1.20 hours of plain, drink a good coffee and eat well !
Old 18 June 2019, 04:32 AM   #52
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Here’s a question (you might want to ask Rolex) do they blacklist stuff like this?

So they’re refusing to work on it now, what if you did the work with an independent and then the next owner sends it to Rolex in 5 years for a service and they write back saying “sorry this Watch is a bitsa, we refused work before blah blah”

Mind you, people saying get it done by a watchmaker... how’s an independent watchmaker going to get hold of a Kermit dial if the owner of the watch (that originally came with one) isn’t even allowed one!
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 04:48 AM   #53
zuber
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleluck View Post
Here’s a question (you might want to ask Rolex) do they blacklist stuff like this?

So they’re refusing to work on it now, what if you did the work with an independent and then the next owner sends it to Rolex in 5 years for a service and they write back saying “sorry this Watch is a bitsa, we refused work before blah blah”
This is something I have not considered. Good point. I would like to avoid such case.
I will reply to RSC once again with that question.

I need some time to think about it. Should I go with replacing necessary parts with an independent watchmaker or should I get in contact with Watchfinder.

The most important for me is to have the genuine watch, without any modifications. If RSC will service the watch with replaced parts I would be happy with that, if not, I am returning it to Watchfinder.
Old 18 June 2019, 05:06 AM   #54
PRSWILL
"TRF" Member

If you wanted a black watch- you have a black watch. just because is WAS a green watch, doesn't make it LESS than what you agreed to purchase does it? All of the parts are genuine I assume?

This just sounds like you're looking for a way to take advantage of the situation- which- even if you could get the parts, isn't going to be cheap. IDK- i'd leave it alone and wear it- unless you're just going to "collect" the watch and flip it later- if that's your thought, I'd ask for a refund. my .02.
PRSWILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 05:17 AM   #55
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRSWILL View Post
If you wanted a black watch- you have a black watch. just because is WAS a green watch, doesn't make it LESS than what you agreed to purchase does it? All of the parts are genuine I assume?

This just sounds like you're looking for a way to take advantage of the situation- which- even if you could get the parts, isn't going to be cheap. IDK- i'd leave it alone and wear it- unless you're just going to "collect" the watch and flip it later- if that's your thought, I'd ask for a refund. my .02.
Yep - mighty strange thread.
OP buys a watch based on what he sees.
Later finds its modified from a similar model - he basically now has a marriage watch

Now he wants it back to original which looks nothing like what he bought?

Why he does not return the watch - get a refund and then buy what he wants - which I guess was a black bezel LN

Seems OP now wants to buy a dog and convert it to a cat.
Old 18 June 2019, 05:18 AM   #56
antrolexsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is something I have not considered. Good point. I would like to avoid such case.
I will reply to RSC once again with that question.

I need some time to think about it. Should I go with replacing necessary parts with an independent watchmaker or should I get in contact with Watchfinder.

The most important for me is to have the genuine watch, without any modifications. If RSC will service the watch with replaced parts I would be happy with that, if not, I am returning it to Watchfinder.
Replace the dial hands and insert with an LV set. You should be able to source used but good condition hands, dial and bezel insert for around the £2k mark, which still makes it a bargain buy. New blistered parts will be slightly more. Give ‘ViperB’ a shout, he usually has a few LV bits.

They will service it once it’s back to factory spec. It’s all about parts control, hence the one in one out policy on the LV parts.
antrolexsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 05:38 AM   #57
tvad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
Yep - mighty strange thread.
OP buys a watch based on what he sees.
Later finds its modified from a similar model - he basically now has a marriage watch

Now he wants it back to original which looks nothing like what he bought?

Why he does not return the watch - get a refund and then buy what he wants - which I guess was a black bezel LN

Seems OP now wants to buy a dog and convert it to a cat.
^This. I'm confused about the difficulty making a decision, which seems obvious to me.
tvad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 06:00 AM   #58
zuber
"TRF" Member

Yes, I wanted black, and bought black.
It turned out it was in fact green, so I thought it might be a good chance to have green Kermit for a fraction of its price. So, what is wrong with that?

I like both 16610 black and 16610LV green.

I have asked ViperB for parts and also asked RSC about blacklisting the watch. Tomorrow I should have the answer and will let you know. It will be beneficial for everyone here.
Old 18 June 2019, 06:05 AM   #59
forcinitijp
2024 Pledge Member

the simplest thing is to return it and get the refund, or sell it to someone who knows how to make the changes ... think that there is a big difference between the price of the watch that you bought and the one that tries to restore ... but, as Gladietor says ... you will never be happy with your modified watch, even if it is direct from rolex ... you find out if the watch has any report of theft or loss in rolex?
Old 18 June 2019, 06:07 AM   #60
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
the simplest thing is to return it and get the refund, or sell it to someone who knows how to make the changes ... think that there is a big difference between the price of the watch that you bought and the one that tries to restore ... but, as Gladietor says ... you will never be happy with your modified watch, even if it is direct from rolex ... you find out if the watch has any report of theft or loss in rolex?
Correct.
I get the impression OP wants to make a "cheap" LV

Seems easier to buy any cheap LN and convert it anytime.

Each to his own
a