The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 May 2019, 10:23 PM   #61
Brew
"TRF" Member

Fascinating, and a fact pattern worthy of Professor Kingsfield . . . .
Old 5 May 2019, 10:42 PM   #62
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Fascinating, and a fact pattern worthy of Professor Kingsfield . . . .
And many are now folding paper airplanes from a magazine’s pages.
Old 5 May 2019, 10:55 PM   #63
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
And many are now folding paper airplanes from a magazine’s pages.
Old 5 May 2019, 11:19 PM   #64
mailman
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Steve you are as always a class act. Clearly you are going above and beyond as someone else should be doing the reimbursing.
I agree on both counts my brother
Old 6 May 2019, 01:22 AM   #65
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinWatch View Post
I got this forwarded message from a fellow member and was asked to share this message with the whole community.
It seems that Gerardo just don’t care. He is not here making the compensation that he IMO should be doing, but instead he is planning more events. Or is this just a creative way breaking the rules of TRF? I would be more than happy to give Gerardo a chance to make things right and go on after that. But maby just too soon for him to organize events before cleaning up all the mess he created just a week ago? I don’t know... but honest, open dialogue needed...
Honestly, I don't think he should be able to post anything in his signature or otherwise on the forum that could even be misconstrued as advertising for future events.

The moderators of this forum have a tough job to do and seem to hold to the rails when people try to bend the rules, which people try to do sometimes to their advantage and sometimes for other purposes. I've seen other examples in the past and the mods hold the line, which I applaud.

The moderators have to limit their liability and exposure to the kind of negative press demonstrated in that previous thread.

The fact the organizer isn't being called upon to expose the expense sheet is baffling. The fact he plans to somehow continue to organize and promote these events in some shape or form despite the pushback and the disaster that was that meal - I'm speechless.

I'd contemplated going myself but honestly after seeing what's happened I feel like I dodged a bullet. And on the topic of money, yes, I own two Rolex watches; but I have saved scrupulously and purchased only preowned at the absolute best prices I could manage.

Just my two cents.
Old 6 May 2019, 02:04 AM   #66
Jocke
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
At least there is one rule to follow IMHO, never post a private email in public whatever it contans. That give me bad taste in my mouth.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Old 6 May 2019, 02:16 AM   #67
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haven_seeker View Post
Honestly, I don't think he should be able to post anything in his signature or otherwise on the forum that could even be misconstrued as advertising for future events.

The moderators of this forum have a tough job to do and seem to hold to the rails when people try to bend the rules, which people try to do sometimes to their advantage and sometimes for other purposes. I've seen other examples in the past and the mods hold the line, which I applaud.

The moderators have to limit their liability and exposure to the kind of negative press demonstrated in that previous thread.

The fact the organizer isn't being called upon to expose the expense sheet is baffling. The fact he plans to somehow continue to organize and promote these events in some shape or form despite the pushback and the disaster that was that meal - I'm speechless.

I'd contemplated going myself but honestly after seeing what's happened I feel like I dodged a bullet. And on the topic of money, yes, I own two Rolex watches; but I have saved scrupulously and purchased only preowned at the absolute best prices I could manage.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 May 2019, 03:04 AM   #68
2024 Pledge Member

Good on you, Steve.
Old 6 May 2019, 03:20 AM   #69
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Wow Steve is all I can say.
Old 6 May 2019, 05:41 AM   #70
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
At least there is one rule to follow IMHO, never post a private email in public whatever it contans. That give me bad taste in my mouth.
Agree. Terrible form.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 6 May 2019, 06:58 AM   #71
ltmgeller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Old 6 May 2019, 10:43 AM   #72
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’m confused as to why the $150 NRD’s can’t be reimbursed to those who didn’t get a seat at dinner ... am I missing something in all of this?
Old 6 May 2019, 11:18 AM   #73
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Great gesture Steve. Sad to hear all that one more time.
Old 6 May 2019, 12:18 PM   #74
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’m confused as to why the $150 NRD’s can’t be reimbursed to those who didn’t get a seat at dinner ... am I missing something in all of this?
I’m equally confused why it should be. There were empty seats at the table I was at. All of this seems to me like whining and piling on.

My bar tab was higher at the Wynn than the money I pitched in at the dinner. I agree the dinner was supposed to be covered by the NRD. I also agree this event should not be advertised on the forum. But shouldn’t that also mean the opposite?

Many of the complaints are from members that didn’t attend. TBO, I’m more taken aback by the reaction of the dinner invoice here, that night and by the piling on here. Perhaps next year will be bliss when it’s not advertised on this forum. Too bad though since this is where it all started. Don’t forget, this is not a few of us getting dinner and drinks and that’s it, this is a full blown hosted event.
Old 6 May 2019, 04:24 PM   #75
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_1 View Post
I’m equally confused why it should be. There were empty seats at the table I was at. All of this seems to me like whining and piling on.

My bar tab was higher at the Wynn than the money I pitched in at the dinner. I agree the dinner was supposed to be covered by the NRD. I also agree this event should not be advertised on the forum. But shouldn’t that also mean the opposite?

Many of the complaints are from members that didn’t attend. TBO, I’m more taken aback by the reaction of the dinner invoice here, that night and by the piling on here. Perhaps next year will be bliss when it’s not advertised on this forum. Too bad though since this is where it all started. Don’t forget, this is not a few of us getting dinner and drinks and that’s it, this is a full blown hosted event.

Event with the elements of a fraud. This is not a matter of opinion or how do I feel. When something like this happens and the event organizer is not answering to any of our questions, he is not letting us know what happened to all the money... This is very scary. All these accusations and questions and the organizer is hiding—writing only about his emotional reactions. Transparency is the key word here. It is not about the one dinner on Friday, it is all about what has been happening for the last 5 years. Tens of thousands of dollars. Fraud or not? Acting according to laws&rules or not?

Old 6 May 2019, 06:01 PM   #76
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
I totally agree with this. Not cool.

Also Steve you did not have to do this but you did. You are a good man.
Old 6 May 2019, 07:29 PM   #77
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
I’m with you Jocke
Old 6 May 2019, 09:54 PM   #78
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
I agree on both counts my brother
Likewise fine job Steve.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 6 May 2019, 10:41 PM   #79
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:

...not always that black&white. If there is a reasonable doubt that something fishy/illegal is going on—it is not a private matter anymore. It seems that there are plenty of things to hide from all regarding to WisCon events...

Old 7 May 2019, 02:27 AM   #80
Alexwwjd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Wow, a lot of people taking this too personal, people who didn't even go and saying they wanted to go.

There was never this level of complaint before. There were misunderstandings but some people waited a couple years until now to express their feelings.

I have attended other GTG's organized by Gerardo in Houston (at least 3), in McAllen (1), and never had to pay an NRD. Always a lot of fun. I think this goes beyond the NRD or the 100 USD. I agree, this year was a little messier than years before because we were a lot of people.

Feelings are coming to surface, people complaining about the organizer's posts. You know under the Thread's name you can see who is posting, feel free to not opening it if you don't like the person creating it.

Again, I applaud Steve for reimbursing the complaining member. TRF is the best forum ever but we are not free of jealousy and people throwing rocks behind a keyboard.

My two cents.
Old 7 May 2019, 08:40 AM   #81
ltmgeller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexwwjd View Post
Wow, a lot of people taking this too personal, people who didn't even go and saying they wanted to go.

There was never this level of complaint before. There were misunderstandings but some people waited a couple years until now to express their feelings.

I have attended other GTG's organized by Gerardo in Houston (at least 3), in McAllen (1), and never had to pay an NRD. Always a lot of fun. I think this goes beyond the NRD or the 100 USD. I agree, this year was a little messier than years before because we were a lot of people.

Feelings are coming to surface, people complaining about the organizer's posts. You know under the Thread's name you can see who is posting, feel free to not opening it if you don't like the person creating it.

Again, I applaud Steve for reimbursing the complaining member. TRF is the best forum ever but we are not free of jealousy and people throwing rocks behind a keyboard.

My two cents.
Well said Alex
Old 7 May 2019, 10:13 PM   #82
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Steve that is a fine gesture to make a person happy after all the complaining that has gone on. I also respect the fact that as the admin of this site you hold yourself accountable for what transpires here.

So Steve that was above and beyond, but to all the others you have ruined something that worked very well for a lot of members and by it no longer being able to be advertised on TRF you have taken away the opportunity for future members to join the experience.

I hope you all are happy that you have taken down the notorious big bad Gerardo’s event
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
Old 7 May 2019, 11:57 PM   #83
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HERITAGE82 View Post
I hope you all are happy that you have taken down the notorious big bad Gerardo’s event
As an outsider looking in it seems as if no one took “big bad Gerardo” down. Members who attended were very polite with their feedback and appreciative for the most part regarding what he planned BUT asked a simple question about the NRD that still was never answered or addressed and probably will never be which is unfortunate. If the organizer had said I charge a $150 admin fee for my time it seems like most of the attendees would’ve been fine with it but that wasn’t the case. Some members have made the argument that these guys who paid $150 plus additional money for overages have plenty of money since they own expensive watches so they should just accept it and not speak up which I disagree with. Just my 2cents

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
Old 8 May 2019, 12:26 AM   #84
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
You are so polite Mike. Thank you for trying to explain what the issue is. None of us who attended have complained about the events. In fact everyone has thanked the organizer for them. The issue, for three years has been the NRD and the fact that it covered food for dinner Friday night. There were huge complaints last year on this forum for the same thing.

All the people who want to protect the organizer should actually look at the facts and wonder why he has been so quiet and secretive about explaining what the NRD is for and why a bill for over $6K was dropped on three tables for all those who attended to cover. Once there is transparency, there are no more questions.

Old 8 May 2019, 05:54 AM   #85
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
You are so polite Mike. Thank you for trying to explain what the issue is. None of us who attended have complained about the events. In fact everyone has thanked the organizer for them. The issue, for three years has been the NRD and the fact that it covered food for dinner Friday night. There were huge complaints last year on this forum for the same thing.

All the people who want to protect the organizer should actually look at the facts and wonder why he has been so quiet and secretive about explaining what the NRD is for and why a bill for over $6K was dropped on three tables for all those who attended to cover. Once there is transparency, there are no more questions.

Old 8 May 2019, 06:35 AM   #86
Bosbevok
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date 40 GMT II
I searched WISCON 2018 and had a good read...man it is a long thread. Ok ok I’m jet lagged and had a lot of time on my hands when I woke up at 2am last night. Unless someone deleted all the negative comments, it appears that WISCON 2018 was a blast, no?

See me at Bosbevok on YouTube
Old 8 May 2019, 08:22 AM   #87
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosbevok View Post
I searched WISCON 2018 and had a good read...man it is a long thread. Ok ok I’m jet lagged and had a lot of time on my hands when I woke up at 2am last night. Unless someone deleted all the negative comments, it appears that WISCON 2018 was a blast, no?

See me at Bosbevok on YouTube

Wiscon 2019 was a blast as well

Old 8 May 2019, 10:23 AM   #88
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_1 View Post

I thought I read that there were folks who paid but didn’t get a seat ... perhaps I’m mistaken.

Anyway, I’m not piling on, and I’m not for or against the organizer. I am genuinely curious as to why things can’t be made more transparent.

Lastly, no I didn’t attend but as we are all members here, anyone should be able to participate in the discussion.
Old 8 May 2019, 10:30 AM   #89
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
Been following this with great interest, as was hoping to maybe attend next year depending on leaves etc.

Seemed like a great weekend apart from the Friday night dinner thingy.

Has the lad who organised this been banned? Just wondering why he has not commented on this thread, esp as the forum head-shed has refunded the NRD. Mighty fine of LoL x Steve i must say.
Old 9 May 2019, 02:00 AM   #90
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by BisonHead View Post
Been following this with great interest, as was hoping to maybe attend next year depending on leaves etc.

Seemed like a great weekend apart from the Friday night dinner thingy.

Has the lad who organised this been banned? Just wondering why he has not commented on this thread, esp as the forum head-shed has refunded the NRD. Mighty fine of LoL x Steve i must say.
Nope - he's still here...
https://www.rolexforums.com/member.php?u=189
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Closed Thread