The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 11 June 2019, 12:46 AM   #31
psv
"TRF" Member

Sorry, still cannot take that model seriously. I think it is a huge miscalculation and will be discontinued soon.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 01:56 AM   #32
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcheroo View Post
I tend to view it as a hybrid between a dress watch and a sports watch. A new category? :)
Absolutely.

It's a "fashion" watch.

There have been watches with this styling cranked out by the billions,but only with "Fossil, Michael Kors, Guess and can't leave out MVMT on the dial. The build quality is atrocious and they are terrible values when compared to Seiko, Citizen..etc.

WIS have treated these kinds of watches with extreme prejudice....but for some reason AP decided they wanted to go that route, but with their build quality.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 02:42 AM   #33
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Interesting ...still so polarizing in people's opinions.

I'm going to go with my heart on this one. I like it :)

I'm also using it as the relationship starter with the BH boutique- so we'll see if I get my ROI over the long run. I'm asking to get a 15500st blue so perhaps I will get my cake and eat it too.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 03:07 AM   #34
JCC296
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
I "ordered" the white gold blue dial 3 hander sight unseen (I saw the rose gold black dial and blue dial chrono). The SA said that I could change my mind to another if I don't like it in the flesh. However he did mention that the WG blue dial 3 hander has been the most popular and requested one (outside of the perpetual calendar) which is why they didn't have it on hand.
You should check out the black dial WG. I saw the black and blue side by side, and the piano black looks much better than the blue. Not sure about blue 3 hander being most popular. Visited a boutique couple weeks ago and they had 3 blue WG 3 hander, no black WG in stock.
JCC296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 03:09 AM   #35
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC296 View Post
You should check out the black dial WG. I saw the black and blue side by side, and the piano black looks much better than the blue. Not sure about blue 3 hander being most popular. Visited a boutique couple weeks ago and they had 3 blue WG 3 hander, no black WG in stock.
Thanks for the feedback JCC, will bear that in mind when I decide
Old 11 June 2019, 03:24 AM   #36
tng11
"TRF" Member

Had a chance to try all of the RG/WG variations of the chronograph and time only when I was in Hong Kong recently. The case is interesting, and the movement is quite nice, well fitting for the watch. But the dial and hands just spoil it for me - I simply cannot get behind them. Legibility is not great and in person they look cheap. I stand by my initial thoughts that the styling is reminiscent of generic watches like Fossil, Boss, Armani, MVMT, etc. Some of the individual parts of this watch are great, but when put together, it is disappointingly generic, especially for the price tag.

As an aside, I did see a WG black dial for sale at a grey in Tokyo last week. It was offered at a pretty deep discount to MSRP. Keep that in mind as I don't see this one lasting long.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 03:53 AM   #37
ILikeTacos
Banned

I was offered a moderate ($800) discount on one last month in Miami Westime boutique when I was picking up my Ceramic 44 offshore. I didn’t ask for it but they seemed pretty desperate to sell. I’m sure you could get some room if you are an existing customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ILikeTacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 03:59 AM   #38
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Had a chance to try all of the RG/WG variations of the chronograph and time only when I was in Hong Kong recently. The case is interesting, and the movement is quite nice, well fitting for the watch. But the dial and hands just spoil it for me - I simply cannot get behind them. Legibility is not great and in person they look cheap. I stand by my initial thoughts that the styling is reminiscent of generic watches like Fossil, Boss, Armani, MVMT, etc. Some of the individual parts of this watch are great, but when put together, it is disappointingly generic, especially for the price tag.

As an aside, I did see a WG black dial for sale at a grey in Tokyo last week. It was offered at a pretty deep discount to MSRP. Keep that in mind as I don't see this one lasting long.
I’ve been wondering about secondary market prices for these. Looks like it’s Royal Oak or nothing for AP.
Vipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 04:01 AM   #39
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
I’ve been wondering about secondary market prices for these. Looks like it’s Royal Oak or nothing for AP.
Consider also that it seems to be readily available at AP boutiques around the world. I saw them in all of the boutiques in Hong Kong and the one in Tokyo. Anything that's readily available in showcases = discount on grey.

It's incredible considering one of my friends was told by someone at AP that it was "sold out", which is clearly not the case and in fact it seems they may be desperate to sell them. I have a feeling quite a few of them are going to be leveraged to sell Royal Oaks as a bundle (i.e. buy a Code 11:59, you get a SS RO).
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 04:06 AM   #40
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I'm also using it as the relationship starter with the BH boutique- so we'll see if I get my ROI over the long run. I'm asking to get a 15500st blue so perhaps I will get my cake and eat it too.
Don't feed the trolls. They should get you what you want, not have you buy something you seem to be selling yourself on in order to get what you really want. Buy the 15500 from a gray and you will be better off. Code is a dud.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 05:28 AM   #41
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I kind of like the case but that's about it. Will wait for the next generation. Doesn't sing to me for now.
Old 11 June 2019, 05:46 AM   #42
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Don't feed the trolls. They should get you what you want, not have you buy something you seem to be selling yourself on in order to get what you really want. Buy the 15500 from a gray and you will be better off. Code is a dud.
Thanks for the advice bro.

It's pretty crazy, I've been trying on Langes and Breguets and Patek 3 handers for years and they never sang to me (I only own the 3970 PCC, Nautilus, and Aquanaut) - I always felt I was supposed to like them as opposed to actually liking them. The Code 11:59 actually sang to me (am I F*&^ed up?). I was actually one of the trolls joking when it first came out and I also LOLed the most at the following thread:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ght=code+11.59

I also made fun of the legibility by saying "For a nineteen year old - go with the black enamel dial with silver indices. No one older than 20 can read that dial so it can be a point of youthful pride". I now know that the damn dial is actual 8 layers of lacquer and not enamel (enamel is only on the higher end pieces like the tourbillon).

I'll leave it at that. Really weird. Lots to think about. I'll the WG blue dial in flesh this Thursday and will let everyone know what I decide :), I also like the rose gold black dial.
Old 11 June 2019, 05:54 AM   #43
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I kind of like the case but that's about it. Will wait for the next generation. Doesn't sing to me for now.

Ben makes a good point, I would expect the next generation to be stunning as the case & movement are already there imo. If the Code had a dial more representative of AP then I don’t believe there would be so much negativity.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 06:13 AM   #44
tcheeco
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
If they make the Kevlar or rubber strap for this model, I’m afraid I’ll get the RC black dial. I live only once and I get what I want not what the mass likes
tcheeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 07:03 AM   #45
ts3
"TRF" Member

The pics in this thread were enough of a reminder for me that this is such a weird piece. Of those I actually like the top view shots best, but IMO the piece looks horrible in the side view wrist shot.

Enough has been said about the dials. For me the case design is worse - a timid play w the ROs octagonal shape visible only from the side, weird lugs, a special crystal. It looks as if the design goal was just to be different, no matter if it all comes together and if pretty or ugly. Unfortunately a lost "case" I think.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 07:15 AM   #46
Burlington
"TRF" Member

With upgraded dials and hands I’m sure they would be a really great collection of watches which would have a far broader appeal / exude more AP design DNA.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 07:43 AM   #47
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
The pics in this thread were enough of a reminder for me that this is such a weird piece. Of those I actually like the top view shots best, but IMO the piece looks horrible in the side view wrist shot.

Enough has been said about the dials. For me the case design is worse - a timid play w the ROs octagonal shape visible only from the side, weird lugs, a special crystal. It looks as if the design goal was just to be different, no matter if it all comes together and if pretty or ugly. Unfortunately a lost "case" I think.
Based on pics, I’m not a fan of the case either. Looks too thick. I’m still interested in seeing it in person though.
Vipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 08:10 AM   #48
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
It’s a SHITTER, as Archieluxury would say lol
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 08:25 AM   #49
sgfortino
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nerd
I too liked the idea of a less classic dress watch. I had a traditional dress watch and it just didn’t really have a place for me in my collection. When I saw the Rolex Cellini Moonphase though, I had the same idea as what you were articulating....a dressier watch that isn’t a formal dress watch or a sports watch but somewhere in between. I bought that one 8 months ago or so and love it...and wear it with suit and tie down to shorts and a T-shirt.

Haven’t seen the Code 11:59 in person.
sgfortino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 09:58 AM   #50
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiesh View Post
Patiently waiting for the SS model........

Same here, but can’t find any information about the release of such ???

I love the case design due to its mechanical perspective.
Old 11 June 2019, 10:28 AM   #51
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Enjoy it! Lovely piece.

And let me personally thank you for doing your part to keep the Swiss watch industry afloat in these troubled times.
Old 11 June 2019, 12:14 PM   #52
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:

Why are u wearing gloves?
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 01:03 PM   #53
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...Your Thoughts
I saw an 11.59 display case at the AD on Saturday and I quickly passed it by due to lack of interest.
I'll look more carefully next time I go in, but it did not get my attention at all.
Pictures of the watch seem to miss AP's primary DNA IMO, kinda like the Rolex Cellini.
I don't see a "Rolex" when I look at a Cellini, just as I do not see an AP looking at a 11.59.
If you took the AP logo off the dial and crown, can anyone seriously say it looks like an AP?? Looks more like a Blancpain to me.
brmeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 02:05 PM   #54
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Saw the 3 hander and chrono in a boutique and was underwhelmed.
Old 12 June 2019, 02:54 AM   #55
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Although not a fan of the watch, but I admittedly have not seen them in person, I do think of the three handers the wg with blue and rg with black are better looking. I think you may have expected a tad more love for this piece and although you haven't gotten it, I hope it doesnt sway you from your true feelings when you go in to see it again. If you like the watch and want to wear it, then thats the only thing that matters. Hopefully an incoming thread soon!

On a side not, I wouldn't completely trust that "promise" of a 15500, especially coming from that boutique with all the stories about them.
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 04:19 AM   #56
eiesh
"TRF" Member

OP, please keep us updated if the boutique ends up selling you the blue dial 15500 after purchasing the code 11.59

eiesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 08:44 AM   #57
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Quote:
It's full ask, but the boutique manager is promising me a 15500 within the year so I do get a natural cost hedge.

What dial color for 15500?
blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 08:45 AM   #58
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Quote:
Who has bought one? Of the whole collection which one would you prefer?

I went to the boutique earlier this week and I really like the case shape and buckle. Dials are pretty nice in person too.

I'm torn between which 3 hander to get. At 41mm it's a sporty dress watch.

To be fair, I already have a 15202st, a 5711, a Ceramic Daytona panda, and a 5164a, so I'm not looking for another steel sports watch but something distinctive to wear :)

I prefer the rose gold and black dial version.
blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 10:27 PM   #59
BlueRoyaloak
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP - Rolex - JR
WG/blue or RG/black
BlueRoyaloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 07:03 AM   #60
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Ok guys an update. I went in on Thursday and saw the WG dial in the flesh. Still was torn between the RG black dial and the WG blue dial but went with the blue. Probably would have gone with the flying tourbillon if I had unlimited funds lol. The boutique Manager made a good point that in the long run when the line expands to ADs; the blue will be boutique only so if tied that is the way to go. I also think with how aggressive the side profile and 41mm dial, the white gold is more discrete and elegant.

I will admit; the blue is ugly in photos and with shrink wrap on it. It does look amazing in the flesh. I think the special concave glass really doesn’t help with angles.

Also had a chance to play with a life size AP movement - so much fun and folks the rotor isn’t all gold (I asked). Also tried on a random diver: yeah 42mm offshore too big.

Pics below.