The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 25 October 2020, 10:20 AM   #31
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Standing ovation
Old 25 October 2020, 10:27 AM   #32
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I like it. But I don’t think it’s for those who can’t get other watches, it has enough merit on its own to be a desired watch.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 11:05 AM   #33
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdnb View Post
Why is everyone quoting that the 5711 is $20k? Haven’t been following Patek that long but now they are 33.7? Was there a 150% price hike over the recent years? I know about the 10% hike from last year.
I go back to when the PP Naut was ~$10k used. Just not much there compared to the price being asked imho. Here's something equal to the PP imho at about 1/3rd the price......

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=771343

https://www.bulgari.com/en-us/103431.html
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 11:16 AM   #34
Fort Rolex
"TRF" Member

Kinda wish it had minute markers
Fort Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 11:48 AM   #35
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
I go back to when the PP Naut was ~$10k used. Just not much there compared to the price being asked imho. Here's something equal to the PP imho at about 1/3rd the price......

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=771343

https://www.bulgari.com/en-us/103431.html

Thanks ETM! Wow didn’t realize the used 5711s used to be $10k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 06:37 PM   #36
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Back in 1997, when I bought my first Rolex Sub a Nautilus was 6 K ... NEW :-)
The Sub I bought in 1997 was 2.5K ... NEW

I remember this cause it was my first Rolex
Old 25 October 2020, 08:46 PM   #37
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
I don't think you have to be a watch snob to like 5711s and RO's. They are great watches. Doesn't mean the Octo isn't also a great watch. I had the great joy of getting to try every single Octo variant made on in the Boutique in Instanbul. Absolutely fantastic watches. I believe them to be a future classic.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 09:01 PM   #38
Tongyk
"TRF" Member

Waiting for the 37 or 38mm, tried the 40mm wears big and with the thin case - found it really hard to pull it off

Tongyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 09:34 PM   #39
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Old 25 October 2020, 09:36 PM   #40
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tongyk View Post
Waiting for the 37 or 38mm, tried the 40mm wears big and with the thin case - found it really hard to pull it off

Agree. A slightly smaller size would be great, as the 40mm wears a touch too large and wide for me. I think it would be a tough undertaking though, not a lot of wiggle room with that movement.

I really, really would love a time only carbon version. I tried the carbon MR about a year ago, I honestly couldn't stop smiling from how mind blowing it felt on the wrist.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 09:50 PM   #41
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
LOL! Obviously you know we're talking the Naut model from years ago, so yeah not that specific model. Not much has really changed either from PP imho. Obviously the 5177 is far over-priced given today's basic PP quality and customer support/warranty as compared to other offerings in the marketplace. Am sure PP flippers don't like hearing the above, yet many of us here are not newbie / flippers.

Did you check out the Bvlgari ref 103431? Your thoughts?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 25 October 2020, 09:59 PM   #42
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
A great looking watch and I will give it a look if I ever come across an AD.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 10:00 PM   #43
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Looking at the pricing for this absolutely stunning watch really goes to show you just how overpriced the 15500 is and especially the 5711 are. The 15500 and 5711 should be 15k-18k max. Neither are worth a dime more than that.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 08:05 AM   #44
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
That is a totally badass watch! Looks great. I think the blue dial really goes well with the watch. Wear in good health.
Old 26 October 2020, 08:35 AM   #45
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Lf you can't get the overhyped Nautilus or Royal Oak ...

That watch and it’s tourbillon sibling are great looking alternatives.

But brand consciousness around PP & AP limits many from Bvlgari.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 11:50 AM   #46
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Excellent point. The Bvlgari is a good value, obviously. In fact today I called a couple of ADs I regular enquiring about the 103431. While I've been hoping for the AP on occasion, the best value and great style goes to the Bvlgari imho. Am also a bit of a thin fan, as have a vintage rose gold Patek that uses the Piaget 9P movement.

Old 26 October 2020, 06:04 PM   #47
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
That watch and it’s tourbillon sibling are great looking alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Quote:
Excellent point. The Bvlgari is a good value, obviously. In fact today I called a couple of ADs I regular enquiring about the 103431. While I've been hoping for the AP on occasion, the best value and great style goes to the Bvlgari imho. Am also a bit of a thin fan, as have a vintage rose gold Patek that uses the Piaget 9P movement.
Agree 100%
When you're long enough into watches and took the time to really learn a bit more about this ... It's sad to see 90% of the so called watch collectors only look at the big names.
Rolex and Patek. And since the AP Royal oak is hot today you can add that too.

I have these brands and they are nice but there is so much more out these.

Honestly, when wearing and comparing my Octo Finissimo and Patek 5711 I really can't tell which one is better.
on the wrist the Bvlgari is better its just too comfortable
The finishing go the movement ... almost the same. The movement in a 5711 is a bit overrated, I mean it's not the same as the one in my 5070P

Knowing that the 5711 is euro 30.000 at list and the Bvlgari about 12.500 .... People are freaking insane they would even hesitate

Bu as you said ... Most unfortunately think the Rolex, Patek and AP are always the one to get.

I wouldn't even dare to think how much Patek would ask for a steel Nautilus with an ultra thin movement like the Bvlgari. Ultra thin movements are so difficult to make
Old 26 October 2020, 06:16 PM   #48
MrJKLFoams
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaJLC
This or the Harrods with green dial rather than the over hype AP and Patek
MrJKLFoams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 07:50 PM   #49
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Love this conversation. Similar to the ones that Greek collectors had in 500BC concerning whether a krater painted by Euphronios was worth the multiples in price over a similar piece by another artist almost as skilled.
Having the most coveted and having your friends know it is still what it's about.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 10:11 PM   #50
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

People will always be influenced by "Wow a Patek/Rolex/AP" or "That's too much money for something that's not a Patek/Rolex/AP"
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 11:29 PM   #51
ts3
"TRF" Member

Very unique design and cool movement - it may well be a future classic as others have suggested. And it may or may not be an alternative to the Nautilus and Royal Oak depending on where you are coming from. For me? No. While I like thin watches this one is just too thin for how large it wears on my small wrists of just above 6.5 inches. Also undecided if I really like the design. Some elements are great, others not so much in my eyes.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 12:40 AM   #52
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraTheExplorerII View Post
People will always be influenced by "Wow a Patek/Rolex/AP" or "That's too much money for something that's not a Patek/Rolex/AP"
Good point. Imho that's a 'problem' for the newbies only for the time being as things are indeed changing. To be fair, i also suffered that fate as well long ago, yet the passing years and experience have taught me well. Have experienced the ebb and flow of brands coming and going over the decades, and quality/service either improving or going downward. Many here on TRF know the brands that are moving upward, and those that are diminishing (so better flip them asap, isn't that right flippers).

Of course grey sellers and flippers hate this type of truth....... (read on).

Seems quite a few seasoned collectors have migrated away from Patek (for obvious reasons) and into other brands. Yes Rolex is and will always be a strong contender due to their excellent and consistent efforts, great warranty, and wonderful customer service. Good thing we have F.P. Journe and, to some extent, Bvlgari and others picking up the pieces from (what was at one time) prestigious brands that are now self-immolation with now-basic quality, horrible service times, and lackluster warranty (for example).

FYI: The Bvlgari comes with a three-year warranty, and they extend it for two more years when you register it on their website.

jmho

Old 27 October 2020, 01:52 AM   #53
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
These are just fantastic - love what they did with this line. Micro rotor - ultra thin - perfect.
Old 27 October 2020, 08:00 AM   #54
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
What would really make this a killer watch for me is if they had a Quick Change system with the bracelet to change it to a leather strap easily. With my Blue 15400 I know whenever I wear it to the office I always feel the bracelet is so shiny it draws too much attention when I roll up my shirt sleeves & I can see this Bulgari may have a similar problem, altho I agree the watch is stunning
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 09:58 AM   #55
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Good point about bracelet / strap quick change, it's one of the things I love about my PAM01033. The only other is bracelet pins instead of screws, but with it being slim maybe pins are smaller so work better ???

Old 27 October 2020, 06:41 PM   #56
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
Many congratulations- wear it in the best of health. Your post is spot on and could not agree more. The movement looks sublime especially with the platinum micro rotor as does the whole package really.

Thank you for bringing to my attention, I am certainly looking forward to trying this one on and hope it fits my small 6.5” wrist!

There are so many gems out there from quality brands, I don’t understand the hype over a few brands/models and can only think it is more for fashion lovers rather than the watch enthusiasts which lets be honest is a niche group in comparison.

It’s good for us however as we get some amazing timepieces that are not restricted in their availability and the prices relatively compared to these over hyped pieces are acceptable.
ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 07:04 PM   #57
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Another impressive feature is an ultra thin case with 100 m WR, that is a first AFAIK, and a major selling point for me at least.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 02:23 AM   #58
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Have some news.... will post in 48 hours or so and start a new thread :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
Another impressive feature is an ultra-thin case with 100 m WR, that is a first AFAIK, and a major selling point for me at least.
100% agree, and they got the normal integration right, yet it's also how the deployant clasp bits fit 'into' the bracelet's recess for comfort. This timepiece really is a no-brainer IMHO. Get one before the mad rush does what it usually does nowadays.

Old 29 October 2020, 06:46 AM   #59
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Quote:
LOL! Obviously you know we're talking the Naut model from years ago, so yeah not that specific model. Not much has really changed either from PP imho. Obviously the 5177 is far over-priced given today's basic PP quality and customer support/warranty as compared to other offerings in the marketplace. Am sure PP flippers don't like hearing the above, yet many of us here are not newbie / flippers.

Did you check out the Bvlgari ref 103431? Your thoughts?

The 103431 back side is amazing; pt rotor is bad Ass. I think the case would have been nicer if that extra piece of metal on each corner of the case was removed; but maybe it just looks odd because I am not looking at the watch in the metal. On the dial side, I think if the markers were applied it would be great but understand that at the price this is hell of a value.

pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2021, 08:58 PM   #60
mjm944
"TRF" Member

I have been wearing my new 103431 blue octo finissomo for a few days and can confirm ,,,,this is a future classic...
Looks amazing on the wrist, because of the thin profile it is not easy to scratch and avoids bumping into other objects.....
It is light but after a few days ,one feels just enough weight to know it is substantial and well made.
I have an AP RO and the octo bracelet comes a close second in comfort and looks.

Bulgari have recently had 2 price increases for this watch ,so it looks like others are appreciating this stunning watch.

I have just ordered the Octo L'Oringinale in rose gold on a rubber strap ,after falling in love with it at the Bulgari boutique.
mjm944 is offline   Reply With Quote