The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 16 October 2020, 11:26 PM   #1
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Birth year watches

Thinking about getting a birth year watch (1983). Would prefer to keep it under 15k (closer to 10k ideal). Really like my Snowflake and would rather not get rid of it, but I'd probably move it for a birth year Rolex if needed...I think. Everything else in my collection stays.

I saw this from the Davidoff brothers, but it's a bit pricey for me:

http://www.db1983.com/vintage/rolex-...1983?imageID=0

Anyone have opinions on birth year watches? And if you have one, show 'em and give me your thoughts / how you acquired!

Pics of my Tudor for tribute.

Old 16 October 2020, 11:40 PM   #2
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Birth year watches are stupid. Saying from experience so please don’t feel offended. Firstly no one knows when things were made and more importantly; it’s a weird way of prioritizing what to get. Very rarely model, year etc matches your preferences. And lastly; once you actually have a match from your birth year you need to find that perfect example. How often does that happen?

I did get the best possible watch in awesome condition from my birth year. Only problem was that it didn’t do anything for me once I had it.

Old 16 October 2020, 11:45 PM   #3
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Birth year watches are stupid. Saying from experience so please don’t feel offended. Firstly no one knows when things were made and more importantly; it’s a weird way of prioritizing what to get. Very rarely model, year etc matches your preferences. And lastly; once you actually have a match from your birth year you need to find that perfect example. How often does that happen?
Not offended at all and I do appreciate the insight, especially from someone that has had one in the past.

All good points.
Old 16 October 2020, 11:46 PM   #4
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
I don't like the concept of birth-year watches for a couple of reasons, but if you do pursue one from '83, I wouldn't make it that 1665. It's not a great example. That case has been badly polished. Look at the lower-right lug and crown guards. Not good.

In general, I'd suggest selecting a reference that interests you, and then pursuing the best-condition example you can find (and is within your budget).

Trying to pinpoint a year, which can be futile anyway, greatly restricts the examples you would be able to consider.

Good luck!
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2020, 11:51 PM   #5
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
I did get the best possible watch in awesome condition from my birth year. Only problem was that it didn’t do anything for me once I had it.

Didn't see this until after I replied - that is a gorgeous watch!! Surprised it did nothing for you when you received it, but that's why we're all different I suppose.
Old 17 October 2020, 12:08 AM   #6
rmagoo57

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
It would be nice to have but I don't want a watch that old!!

If you like the idea, go for it! The hunt for a pristine piece from 1983 sounds like a fun challenge. No need to rush it either. I would opt for a Rolex with a 1983 serial number. Here's your chance to pick up a 16013 TT DJ on jubilee and join the club!!
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 12:10 AM   #7
brockburst
2024 Pledge Member

I have had a similar experience. I typically only bought watches for milestones in my life, and as my collecting, chase, and passion grew, I found myself making up reasons to get them. Enter the birth year discussion here. Interestingly, I also am 1983. As my eye evolved and my tastes cemented, I found myself justifying why I needed to keep the birth year versions, and at one point I owned several:

Circa 1983 Rolex 16800 Submariner
Circa 1983 Rolex 5513 Maxi MK5 Sub - Full Set, acquired basically brand new with MEGA pumpkin patina
Circa 1983 Tudor 94110 Snowflake
Circa 1983 Rolex Datejust White Buckley Dial
1983 Omega Speedmaster

Those are the ones i have owned and consequently sold or am in the process of selling. Per is exactly right, dates are not exact at all. One sub was prob closer to 82 than 83, and the maxi was closer to 84 than 83. Overall I ended up sticking a bunch of cash into an idea and forcing myself to add a reason to collect something. That has never been how I arrived at ownership, so after awhile I have abandoned the idea that I need to own a birth year watch. This has led to a more important and fulfilling collection, especially when some of my most meaningful pieces (gilt 5512 and gilt 1675) have required larger budgets.

Many different opinions no doubt, but unless you really love the model, save for your dream watch no matter when it was made. Condition is more important than any other facet.
brockburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 12:16 AM   #8
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

I have owned a few birth year pieces and once the novelty wore off they carried no sentimental value so they were sold.

Having something as old as you is a fun reason to buy a watch though :)

I think it’s a cool idea to buy a birth year watch for a milestone birthday like 40 or something.
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 12:26 AM   #9
JParm

Thanks for the input, gents. Sounds like people that have actually gone through the process of owning one have, in the end, not felt that it was worth it.
Old 17 October 2020, 12:27 AM   #10
brockburst
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
Thanks for the input, gents. Sounds like people that have actually gone through the process of owning one have, in the end, not felt that it was worth it.
Yeah, although since you love the snowflake you could scratch both by swapping yours to birth year which would also "upgrade" you to a quick set date
brockburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 01:35 AM   #11
rmagoo57

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
Quote:
Imagine hanging out with your grandchildren one day, checking the time on your beautiful watch and thinking, damn, this is as old as me!!
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 01:41 AM   #12
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
I have two birth year watches (16800/16750) from the same era you are seeking. Honestly, I like the concept of having a mechanical watch that has been ticking for approximately the same amount of time that I've been alive.
btinl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 01:41 AM   #13
mcch2233
"TRF" Member

I actually had fun looking for a birth year sub and still love mine. Seemed like a good way for me to focus my search for a single vintage sub to go with my modern one!
mcch2233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 01:52 AM   #14
SDREW22
"TRF" Member

Watch: TOG
Purple dial " Bluesy". This will be my birth year watch
SDREW22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 01:54 AM   #15
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

When I have bought watches from my birth-year, there has been a brief enjoyment from the novelty of it. But it quickly wears off, and ultimately the condition and overall appeal of the watch is the only thing that matters.
Old 17 October 2020, 02:02 AM   #16
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Go for it. I have a BY rolex. But just a 6694.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 02:31 AM   #17
JPMickB83
"TRF" Member

I’m also a 1983 baby; the closest I could get was a couple 1984 Tudor 76100 Subs (one still has the Lollipop handset). I never wear them, yet I’m tempted to “upgrade” them to a Rolex. This thread is helping to put that idea to bed, and to either learn to appreciate what I have, or sell and get out of the investment.

And a blue one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JPMickB83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 03:06 AM   #18
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMickB83 View Post
And a blue one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That denim Blue is stunning. Definitely don’t sell it. Lol
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 03:07 AM   #19
pierson
"TRF" Member

I looked into my birth year watch and fell in love with the 1675, but the one I wanted was a couple years off. I switched to finding my Birth Decade Watch and bought it. Couldn’t be happier.
pierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 07:51 AM   #20
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I know this one is no big deal, but I got it in Vienna in 2005 at a nice vintage watch shop that no longer exists there. It was made in 1969 for the italian market only. Fast forward to 2013, I join TRF and I found out birth year watches were a thing. I was born in 1969, so hey I have a birth year watch lol. I love this one for many reasons but the birth year thing means nothing to me. It's just a sales gimmick IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22.jpg (116.8 KB, 580 views)
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 10:22 AM   #21
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
It’s forced sentimentality, and a weak excuse to buy a watch. Just buy a watch you like.....why would the fact that it was sold the year you were born make it special?
Old 17 October 2020, 10:27 AM   #22
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
A lot of people like birth-year watches, and I can see the appeal. It's nice to wear a watch that has been ticking along the same time as you all these years. How about a nice Seiko dive watch or chronograph? They're more affordable, reliable, and you can tell the exact year, and month, of production from the serial number.
Old 17 October 2020, 10:35 AM   #23
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
A lot of people like birth-year watches, and I can see the appeal. It's nice to wear a watch that has been ticking along the same time as you all these years. How about a nice Seiko dive watch or chronograph? They're more affordable, reliable, and you can tell the exact year, and month, of production from the serial number.
that's not a bad idea at all!

Maybe looking outside the Rolex name for this would be the smarter (cheaper) route.
Old 17 October 2020, 10:39 AM   #24
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
I want a 16660 birth year, 1983, watch myself in a bad way!
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 11:19 AM   #25
Andad

Watch: A few.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8E7F5824-42B4-4057-86F7-32CB26496C37.jpeg (170.7 KB, 555 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 11:32 AM   #26
Sherbie
"TRF" Member

Of course some companies will provide extracts from their archives ( some free, some for a hefty fee, ahhem, cough cough, Omega!)

But if you birthday matches their production date, i could see that would be attractive

I have 2 speedmasters from 1983, both with EoA - pity i was born in 1962 !!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sherbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 11:48 AM   #27
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

I did have a birth year watch (a 5513). It was neat to have a watch the same age as you. However, I would rather have a watch (a Grail) I really coveted.

So in the end I traded it in for something I really wanted, a 1680 Red Sub. No regrets.

If you really like your Tudor Snowflake, I wouldn’t trade it just to get a birth year watch (unless you really like and want the watch irrespective of the year of production). I think you’d regret it.

Just my two cents.

Really nice blue Snowflake by the way! I personally wouldn’t trade that away, unless it was for something better.
Old 17 October 2020, 12:40 PM   #28
zapokee
"TRF" Member

I have a few "birth year" watches from earlier in my collecting career (1600, 1675, 1680 spring to mind).

I've since realized it's not worth hunting down birth-year models. It's better to have the best possible version of the watch, regardless of year.

If you're limiting yourself to a particular year, you're more likely to end up with something sub-optimal. It's the most unnecessary criterion.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 01:47 PM   #29
petehk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just Rolex
My birth year watch purchase is a happy story. I saw this 1675 GMT at the Phillips HK Auction 4 in 2017. I put in an absentee bid at an amount which was a big deal and abit beyond my means at the time. This was my first ever try at buying from auction. With the auction over, I nervously checked the hammer price and saw that the final amount was slightly higher than my bid. I was extremely disappointed at the near miss and turned my mind to other things. About 2 weeks later, I got a call from Phillips politely asking why I did not collect the watch I bidded for! It turned out that the hammer price I saw was my bid price + auction commission and not a higher bid from another buyer. I am now the happy owner of this 1964 1675 gilt pcg with original gilt hands and dome cyclops and hammered at a price equivalent now in 2020 to just a decent Long E 1675.

Sent from my SM-N9860 using Tapatalk
petehk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 11:02 PM   #30
Ignorant1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Speedking
just happened upon this watch around my 50th, and picked it up for pennies on the dollar, Model: 6605 with the 1065 Movement . . .

[IMG][/IMG]