The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 April 2019, 07:14 AM   #1
wbb2
"TRF" Member

5513 submariner spider dial -- tell me about my watch

Can someone with vintage knowledge tell me about the originality of my watch?
I bought this few years ago and don't know what i'm wearing :)
as you can see there is some yellowing on the hands near the center of the minute / hour hands - any ideas on this ?

This is a 1985.

Would be helpful to better understand and help describe and/or rate the following :
case -
hands -
dial -
crystal -
bezel -
lume -

fair value opinion - ???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4713.jpg (127.8 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4717.jpg (124.8 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4711.jpg (144.9 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4718.jpg (142.4 KB, 270 views)
wbb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 12:31 PM   #2
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Sorry OP - I’ve seen so many low post count threads like this that have less honorable or sinister intentions. I'm not suggesting its your case, it’s just that these types of threads are often then linked to in order to legitimize a sale, which later goes wrong for the buyer and TRF gets the rap...sorry to cast a shadow...
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 12:42 PM   #3
wbb2
"TRF" Member

Ok that is fine so i am assuming that then this thread will get no replies after your post.

if thats the case, if you are feeling helpful please DM me if you have any insights into my watch.

I've read some stickies on the vintage forum but my guesses on all these items are very amateur so would prefer someone with more knowledge.
Old 18 April 2019, 12:57 PM   #4
Vlad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
Sorry OP - I’ve seen so many low post count threads like this that have less honorable or sinister intentions. I'm not suggesting its your case, it’s just that these types of threads are often then linked to in order to legitimize a sale, which later goes wrong for the buyer and TRF gets the rap...sorry to cast a shadow...
+1

,,, see, you got another reply
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 01:02 PM   #5
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Very poor dial - needs replaced. Pearl is missing - needs replaced. Hands - unknown. Crystal - unknown. Watch case is average condition.

My opinion, some seller hyped a poor condition watch to someone- maybe you - and the buyer bought the seller's sales hype. Value, probably much less than what you are trying to promote it here for.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 01:11 PM   #6
Greg5512
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Big Block
You have a dial with cracked paint...does that help?
Greg5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 04:13 PM   #7
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

I have been wondering about those so-called "spider dials" that have been surfacing more and more lately and I cannot help but wonder if that sort of extreme damage happens naturally or if it is induced by some sort of action (microwave oven, UV lamp treatment) by sellers who are trying to pull a fast one...
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 04:55 PM   #8
wbb2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Very poor dial - needs replaced. Pearl is missing - needs replaced. Hands - unknown. Crystal - unknown. Watch case is average condition.

My opinion, some seller hyped a poor condition watch to someone- maybe you - and the buyer bought the seller's sales hype. Value, probably much less than what you are trying to promote it here for.

Thanks --
Don't agree with your statement on the dial however, spider dial or whatever you want to call it, i bought it knowing it was a "defect" but i do like it.

Pearl - if this is a vintage watch is the pearl reallly worth replacing ? I see so many without pearls.

Not trying to promote it on here for anything, just trying to see if anyone could tell me anything on here about why the hands are yellower on one side and look normal otherwise.

if it helps shed any disbelief on me trying to resell this watch, i bought it for about 5000 from a reputable dealer in 2016. that is what i paid for it and i know it has obviously gone up in value since then.

so i will continue to watch if any other constructive comments or insight regarding this watch, good or bad.
Old 18 April 2019, 05:27 PM   #9
wbb2
"TRF" Member

"Very poor dial - needs replaced. Pearl is missing - needs replaced. Hands - unknown. Crystal - unknown. Watch case is average condition. "

Thanks for response springer

I am aware of the spider cracking "defect" dial, i personaly like it but understand some dont.

Pearl - is it even worth replacing the pearl? wouldn't it look out of place with a new pearl?

PRice - if it helps to dispell any notion that I am here to promote this wtach, i bought it in 2016 for ~ 5000$. Obviously it has gone up in value but I am not looking to sell it. Go ahead and monitor FS forums if you're so inclined :)

I am just here 1. to see if anyone can tell me anything about the yellowing of the hands and why one section is more yellow than the other.
2. if anyone can shed any constructive comments about something I might not know about my watch. Since i would like to give accurate information if /when ever anyone asks about it.
Old 18 April 2019, 05:42 PM   #10
Amazing
"TRF" Member

I like the spider dials. It doesn't affect how legible the dial is and it's an interesting quirk in my opinion.
Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 11:09 PM   #11
Glosstritium
Banned

Spider dials are a part of history in my opinion and what happened when Rolex started making gloss dials at a transitional time starting 1984... They realized they had a defect in the formula and that was causing spider dials,fading and star like spots, so Rolex fixed the issue and swapped out dials free of charge...
Glosstritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 12:40 AM   #12
jwrosenthal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bulova 3818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glosstritium View Post
Spider dials are a part of history in my opinion and what happened when Rolex started making gloss dials at a transitional time starting 1984... They realized they had a defect in the formula and that was causing spider dials,fading and star like spots, so Rolex fixed the issue and swapped out dials free of charge...
The most helpful, informative, and least aggressive post came from someone with a lower post # than the OP.

I know there are a lot of scammers and sale hype seekers out there guys, but we all need to start somewhere and sometimes it's just a guy/gal with a Rolex that gets interested in knowing more.
jwrosenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 04:02 AM   #13
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbb2 View Post
"Very poor dial - needs replaced. Pearl is missing - needs replaced. Hands - unknown. Crystal - unknown. Watch case is average condition. "

Thanks for response springer

I am aware of the spider cracking "defect" dial, i personaly like it but understand some dont.

Pearl - is it even worth replacing the pearl? wouldn't it look out of place with a new pearl?

PRice - if it helps to dispell any notion that I am here to promote this wtach, i bought it in 2016 for ~ 5000$. Obviously it has gone up in value but I am not looking to sell it. Go ahead and monitor FS forums if you're so inclined :)

I am just here 1. to see if anyone can tell me anything about the yellowing of the hands and why one section is more yellow than the other.
2. if anyone can shed any constructive comments about something I might not know about my watch. Since i would like to give accurate information if /when ever anyone asks about it.
I am far from knowledgeable on these submariners and barely knowledgeable on my own Rootbeer GMT. that said, I am fascinated by the history of these watches and find myself looking at most of the new posts on this forum regardless of model. It's very interesting and the people here know their proverbial shizite. To your question regarding the discoloration on the hands, I have read in some of these posts that the yellowing may be caused by over-lubrication during servicing which gradually migrates out from the center and discolors the lume. That's all I got… it may have a few defects but it is quite old. If you enjoy the watch does it really matter what other think? I quite like it.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 06:30 AM   #14
wbb2
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=To your question regarding the discoloration on the hands, I have read in some of these posts that the yellowing may be caused by over-lubrication during servicing which gradually migrates out from the center and discolors the lume.[/QUOTE]

I like this explanation quite a lot. Not taking it for fact at all, but sounds feasible.