The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 May 2016, 10:30 AM   #1
Litespeed11
"TRF" Member

Inherited an Explorer 1016 - Service advice needed

Hi all, I recently inherited a late 60's Explorer 1016. The watch currently does not work. I reached out to a repair service that specializes in Rolex repair. Below is a list of what their service entails. I want to ensure I am not devaluing the watch in any way. Thank you in advance

Overhaul of movement: dismantling and cleaning of components, replacements of worn-out components*, assembly, lubrication, adjustment and timing. The case and bracelet are disassembled and, where possible, all major marks are removed.

The case and bracelet are then polished and refinished to as near original condition as possible.
Litespeed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2016, 01:39 PM   #2
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeed11 View Post
Hi all, I recently inherited a late 60's Explorer 1016. The watch currently does not work. I reached out to a repair service that specializes in Rolex repair. Below is a list of what their service entails. I want to ensure I am not devaluing the watch in any way. Thank you in advance

Overhaul of movement: dismantling and cleaning of components, replacements of worn-out components*, assembly, lubrication, adjustment and timing. The case and bracelet are disassembled and, where possible, all major marks are removed.

The case and bracelet are then polished and refinished to as near original condition as possible.
You will de-value the watch significantly if the original dial and original hands are replaced, especially depending on how good/bad a condition they are in. The trend today in the value of vintage watches is a bit tough to comprehend if you are new to this- sometimes the worse the condition physically appears the more the watch is worth- because it's all about originality. Same for polishing the case and bracelet, too much and/or the wrong orientation and the value goes down.

Best advice: Post photos here, get some feedback. Unless the dial/hands are in really bad shape (or were already replaced in the last 40 years) you'll want to make sure they are not replaced or refinished in any way.

Many believe the 1016 is the best Rolex ever made, and it sounds like this one is passed-down which brings priceless sentimentality. Treat it well it will last a lifetime and will continue to appreciate in value.
speedolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2016, 10:14 PM   #3
Litespeed11
"TRF" Member

This is exactly why I came here for advice! I know a bit about watches, but it seems like the trend nowadays is to preserve as much as possible and that is what helps to retain the value. I think the watch is in overall good condition, with the exception of it not working... Here is a quick picture. Would love everyone's feedback on what I should do. Thank you!
Old 10 May 2016, 03:56 AM   #4
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Polishing case is like touching up a Picasso. Replacing the dial is like tossing out the original motor of a 60s corvette. All you do is have the movement oiled. Nothing else. Maybe the tube. That is it
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2016, 04:42 AM   #5
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
This is exactly why I came here for advice! I know a bit about watches, but it seems like the trend nowadays is to preserve as much as possible and that is what helps to retain the value. I think the watch is in overall good condition, with the exception of it not working... Here is a quick picture. Would love everyone's feedback on what I should do. Thank you!
Do not touch the dial or hands, they look very good, nice patina which shows the age of the watch gracefully and tastefully.

Do not touch the case, even if it's a bit scratched do not have it polished. To my eyes, and it's just one photo, it looks like an unpolished untouched case which is a major win. Others can chime in here, and you can post up more photos, but I'd leave that alone. Very valuable if it's an unpolished case with thick lugs and sharp edges.

The bracelet is a very valuable early model with rivets. Now, there are some who would say to leave that untouched and original but for me, I couldn't wear a watch with a bracelet that beat up, I'd have it gently and professionally polished so as to restore its grandeur.

The crystal should not be replaced under any circumstances, it looks like an original dome, not easy to find. The good news? You can remove the scratches very easily yourself at home with a bit of Brasso and an old t-shirt (search for threads about how to do that here). Note the removing of scratches is okay, it's not like leaving them will add value to the watch at all, you need to buff those out, but do it yourself, takes 30 minutes and some elbow grease.

If it were my watch, I'd buff the scratches out of the crystal myself with Brasso, I'd have the bracelet scratches very gently polished out, and I'd leave everything else cosmetically untouched. As for getting it working again, I'd make 200% sure I had a very good Rolex-experienced watchmaker handling this and make 400% sure he didn't touch the dial, hands, crystal, bracelet, or case under any circumstances. No removing of parts, no refinishing of the dial, etc.

And give this strong consideration: If your intention is to sell it, it's worth more in its present condition than after you've cleaned it up a bit. Sort of like a barn-find Porsche for some who want one in original untouched condition vs. one that's been restored. If you want to keep it and treasure it as a family heirloom, buff your crystal, clean up the bracelet, and get it working again but nothing more.
Old 10 May 2016, 05:15 AM   #6
samuelhuntington
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167, 16570, 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedolex View Post
Do not touch the dial or hands, they look very good, nice patina which shows the age of the watch gracefully and tastefully.

Do not touch the case, even if it's a bit scratched do not have it polished. To my eyes, and it's just one photo, it looks like an unpolished untouched case which is a major win. Others can chime in here, and you can post up more photos, but I'd leave that alone. Very valuable if it's an unpolished case with thick lugs and sharp edges.

The bracelet is a very valuable early model with rivets. Now, there are some who would say to leave that untouched and original but for me, I couldn't wear a watch with a bracelet that beat up, I'd have it gently and professionally polished so as to restore its grandeur.

The crystal should not be replaced under any circumstances, it looks like an original dome, not easy to find. The good news? You can remove the scratches very easily yourself at home with a bit of Brasso and an old t-shirt (search for threads about how to do that here). Note the removing of scratches is okay, it's not like leaving them will add value to the watch at all, you need to buff those out, but do it yourself, takes 30 minutes and some elbow grease.

If it were my watch, I'd buff the scratches out of the crystal myself with Brasso, I'd have the bracelet scratches very gently polished out, and I'd leave everything else cosmetically untouched. As for getting it working again, I'd make 200% sure I had a very good Rolex-experienced watchmaker handling this and make 400% sure he didn't touch the dial, hands, crystal, bracelet, or case under any circumstances. No removing of parts, no refinishing of the dial, etc.

And give this strong consideration: If your intention is to sell it, it's worth more in its present condition than after you've cleaned it up a bit. Sort of like a barn-find Porsche for some who want one in original untouched condition vs. one that's been restored. If you want to keep it and treasure it as a family heirloom, buff your crystal, clean up the bracelet, and get it working again but nothing more.
Very good advice. Op great watch you have there, what's the story?
samuelhuntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2016, 09:40 AM   #7
Litespeed11
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the sage advice! I figured it would be something close to that in regards to servicing it. The story around the watch is fairly mundane. My grandfather bought it when he retired and after he passed away about 30 years ago, it went to my father who never wore it. It sat in a box on his dresser and I used to look at it as a kid. He gave it to me last year and I've been dragging my feet about getting it fixed as I already own my own Daytona and usually wear that or my Apple Watch. Not quite as exciting as finding a barn find, but I do appreciate the interest!
Old 10 May 2016, 12:43 PM   #8
bzabodyn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek / AP / Rolex
Quote:
Thank you for the sage advice! I figured it would be something close to that in regards to servicing it. The story around the watch is fairly mundane. My grandfather bought it when he retired and after he passed away about 30 years ago, it went to my father who never wore it. It sat in a box on his dresser and I used to look at it as a kid. He gave it to me last year and I've been dragging my feet about getting it fixed as I already own my own Daytona and usually wear that or my Apple Watch. Not quite as exciting as finding a barn find, but I do appreciate the interest!
It still definitely has an aura about it though as any watch that's been untouched for decades has. I strongly agree with everything that's been mentioned regarding leaving everything untouched - including the bracelet. The 1016 looks far better on vintage leather straps anyways so just remove it and put it away somewhere safe if it's in poor condition. I'm not a huge fan of old Oyster bracelets in most cases and if you have a Daytona it will make a great change of pace on a leather strap. Brasso was mentioned above by I use and swear by Polywatch - a few drops on the crystal, 2-3 minutes of elbow grease and that dial will pop again.

Beautiful example you have an congrats on inheriting a family heirloom.

BZ
bzabodyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2016, 10:50 PM   #9
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Wow. Stunning piece.
Old 10 May 2016, 11:10 PM   #10
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Awesome watch and story. As suggested, only have the movement serviced by a qualified watch maker, buff out the crystal, and put it on a nice vintage strap. Might need to look at those spring bars as they are sticking out.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2016, 11:45 PM   #11
speedolex
Banned

Quote:

If it's your grandfather's watch and you're already at Rolex aficionado, I'm sure I speak for thousands of Rolex fans who wish we were in your shoes. My grandfather's (and father for that matter) never had the financial means or interest in wristwatches to leave me in such a position, I wish I had such a family heirloom.

Assuming you want to keep it and cherish it and pass it on to the next generation, you may want to do as I've done and use a more modern Oyster bracelet that's more comfortable and more affordable. Put the original riveted bracelet away for safekeeping in its undisturbed state and install a 78360 bracelet and 580 end pieces, both easily available on the internet. Retains the original vintage look yet is infinitely more comfortable and keeps wear off the rivets.

As far as your Daytona goes, there is something very special about a black dial vintage Explorer, I think it's the perfect changeup watch to my chronographs and my Submariner. Still a Sport watch, not chunky, not complicated, sleek and low, just looks fantastic, still unmistakably a Rolex, completely retro and completely current at the same time. Most (all) vintage Rolex fans mark the 1016 as an all-time favorite as it is just so well balanced, especially on an Oyster bracelet.

It's your grandfather's watch and you can be completely on-trend and wear it now, pass it on 50 years from now. I wish my grandfather gave me a 1016, I don't think I'd ever take it off. Get some Brasso, buff that crystal, I think you'll be instantly in love.
Old 11 May 2016, 12:24 AM   #12
Black Bay Dan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Here is my late father's Explorer which he wore pretty much every day for most of my life. He very much viewed it, and indeed used it, as a tool watch (certainly not a piece of art as has been suggested), and thought nothing of having Rolex service the watch, albeit only twice that I was aware of. About 25 years ago he had it serviced and had the dial and hands replaced which he was very pleased with, not for a second caring that it might devalue the watch in the future, long after he was gone. The watch came back from RSC as new and he continued wearing it everyday for the rest of his life. After he died I had the watch serviced by Bexley including having a new bracelet fitted. The original bracelet I still have in a draw. What ever you do, remember it's your watch and if you choose to have it restored, no matter how lightly, don't be put off. Good luck.

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex Explorer 1016.jpg (58.6 KB, 536 views)
Black Bay Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2016, 12:32 AM   #13
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Great looking piece!
Agree with others above. Movement service and nothing else. All the best
Old 11 May 2016, 12:33 AM   #14
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air King Dan View Post
Here is my late father's Explorer which he wore pretty much every day for most of my life. He very much viewed it, and indeed used it, as a tool watch (certainly not a piece of art as has been suggested), and thought nothing of having Rolex service the watch, albeit only twice that I was aware of. About 25 years ago he had it serviced and had the dial and hands replaced which he was very pleased with, not for a second caring that it might devalue the watch in the future, long after he was gone. The watch came back from RSC as new and he continued wearing it everyday for the rest of his life. After he died I had the watch serviced by Bexley including having a new bracelet fitted. The original bracelet I still have in a draw. What ever you do, remember its your watch and if you choose to have it restored, no matter how lightly, don't be put off. Good luck.

Dan
Simply gorgeous, great story too.
Old 11 May 2016, 12:40 AM   #15
Aceldama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dads Omega Cal 601
And be careful to vet the repair person. There are some that just don't get it and insist on polishing and replacing parts even though you left clear instructions.
Aceldama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2016, 01:07 AM   #16
tomilg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513, SD4K
Even though it's across the country, take a look at ABC Watch Werks in Beverly Hills. They do amazing work and specialize in restoring or maintaining vintage Rolex.

I agree with the crowd, get a good service and leave the rest alone....then throw it on a leather strap or a newer oyster bracelet.
tomilg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2016, 02:15 AM   #17
Black Bay Dan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedolex View Post
Simply gorgeous, great story too.
Thanks Speedolex

Dan
Black Bay Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2016, 07:14 AM   #18
roll9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 & 16700
That is a great looking watch you have there. I bet it would look great on a leather strap.
roll9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2016, 08:11 AM   #19
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll9 View Post
That is a great looking watch you have there. I bet it would look great on a leather strap.
I thought the same thing before buying mine, intended to put it on a leather strap.

But then I put it on my wrist, that Oyster bracelet just sitting perfectly, the balance of bezel/case/bracelet sheer perfection, the 1016 is probably the most pure and perfect Rolex ever created as a whole. The integration of watch and bracelet is its best attribute, the apex of Rolex achievement in that regard.

On a strap I find the 1016 reduced to mere average, could be a Datejust with a smooth bezel, loses its bright and clean tool appeal, loses its integration with the Oyster bracelet it was born for.
Old 11 May 2016, 10:44 PM   #20
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Certainly a beauty!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2016, 01:29 AM   #21
Lord
"TRF" Member

Watch: the watch watchers
Very very nice! You lucky chap!!

Were it me in your position, as stated by others; clean up the crystal yourself but have a full under-the-hood service by a really good watchmaker.

I know just the man, but he's in the UK... if that's any use to you?
Old 12 May 2016, 11:09 PM   #22
statsman
"TRF" Member

I have my dad's old 1016, beautifully maintained with original dial and hands by Phillip Riddely. Honestly, I am giving a lot of consideration to the idea that, at the next maintenance point (3-5 years?) having a replacement (new) 1016 dial and hands put on (and storing the original dial and hands, for posterity and value). I would leave the case as is. That way, I would have a watch that looked fresh and new (and would have numbers and hands that glowed in the dark).
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2016, 12:22 AM   #23
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
I have my dad's old 1016, beautifully maintained with original dial and hands by Phillip Riddely. Honestly, I am giving a lot of consideration to the idea that, at the next maintenance point (3-5 years?) having a replacement (new) 1016 dial and hands put on (and storing the original dial and hands, for posterity and value). I would leave the case as is. That way, I would have a watch that looked fresh and new (and would have numbers and hands that glowed in the dark).

I did the exact same thing though not with the 'dad' part, sadly no hand me down's possible as he wasn't a WIS.

What I wanted was to wear a brand new 1016 as a daily driver, just love the size and form factor, just don't like the current edition with the white gold blingy dial. So I sought out an example that had a service replacement dial, hands, and bracelet which, as a bonus, had a bit of patina and a nice gently domed crystal. It's movement and serial date it to 1960 but I don't care, I treat it like it's a 2016.

I could not be happier. I think Rolex is missing the boat, now that they have a 39mm blingy Explorer they should go retro with the 36mm and bring back the 1016.
Old 13 May 2016, 01:18 AM   #24
statsman
"TRF" Member

Yeah, it's a great watch. It's an "Explorer", for crying out loud. It is the nicest and best looking watch in the office 99% of the time (I let a TAG owner think his watch and mine are peers, but really- we know- mine has seniority), and I can wear it on a hike, too. Since it's a maintained Rolex, I don't have to baby it.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 01:30 PM   #25
crbinnzz

Inherited Explorer 1016...Need advice on where to start first.

I inherited this about a month ago. I want to get it in better condition, increase its value and keep forever. How can I get some info on it? Where/What should I do first? I live in Georgia. Will be in Augusta and ATL area soon, so if there’s someone in those cities I should take it to, I can. Any guidance is much appreciated.
crbinnzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 12:48 AM   #26
Cantab
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your 6
There are a number of highly qualified watchmakers mentioned often on TRF. I have had extremely successful work done by Rik Dietel of Time Care Inc. http://timecareinc.com/index.html
I'm certain that others will add their recommendations. Beautiful watch and enjoy it.
Cantab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 01:30 AM   #27
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
I have the exact same watch and had it service with Philip Ridley:
http://www.watchmakers.com/

They specialize in vintage Rolex and know the do’s and don’t. They are one of the top shop in the U.S ( probably the top actually)for this kind of work and very well known in the Rolex vintage watch community... If you do a search you will see they are extremely respected. You have an extremely valuable watch and you need a specialist. Georgia isn’t the place to have it fix...

The only use original Rolex parts and they take care of everything from the shipping to nd from their shop, fedex insured for the full value.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 02:17 AM   #28
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
Rolliworks in campbell california also do great work.. but are rather far from you.

That's an amazing gilt 1016.
Juhuatai is offline   Reply With Quote