The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 April 2019, 01:44 PM   #1
Rain49king
"TRF" Member

Estate sale find 5512

Hoping to get some help identifying what I have here...I have a lot of modern Rolex watches but I have never owned or had much experience with anything vintage. I picked this up in an estate sale it’s a 5512 from 1975 from what my serial number research tells me. The watch is keeping excellent time the case dial and bezel are in what I would consider very good condition for a watch over 40 years old. It also had the box that appears original to the time period. Inside the box was two very stretched bracelets a 93150 that I am familiar with and seen on thousands of subs. The other bracelet was A very tin like oyster bracelet that says Rolex usa at first glance that sent off alarms as to the watch being authentic until I researched and found that the band was actually common to watches sold in the states. Anyway that’s my story any feedback would be appreciated as to what is good about this watch or what is bad. Before someone ask I don’t know the history so no idea if it’s a service dial or if bezel has been replaced that’s kinda the reason for the post. Feel free to enlighten me lol. Thanks for looking!
Rain49king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 01:44 PM   #2
Rain49king
"TRF" Member

More pics coming if I can get resized. Sorry
Old 19 April 2019, 01:54 PM   #3
Rain49king
"TRF" Member

Another
Old 19 April 2019, 01:56 PM   #4
Rain49king
"TRF" Member

Another pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4F05C720-FF0E-4A41-B538-CE0A64496404.jpeg (225.9 KB, 427 views)
Old 19 April 2019, 02:07 PM   #5
Rain49king
"TRF" Member

Both bracelets
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0937DE0D-F36E-475E-A611-9DE2BC791AF0.jpeg (37.7 KB, 417 views)
Old 19 April 2019, 02:09 PM   #6
Rain49king
"TRF" Member

Sorry this is about all I can resize....user error I’m sure
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D49FE189-E326-4E10-9E0B-8BA19EB0867E.jpeg (35.1 KB, 414 views)
Old 19 April 2019, 02:12 PM   #7
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

A more crisp and better focused photo of the face of the watch would be of great help to the local experts here.
Old 19 April 2019, 02:23 PM   #8
Rain49king
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogdogg View Post
A more crisp and better focused photo of the face of the watch would be of great help to the local experts here.
If I could figure out how to get all these photos to upload l would...Anyone who would like better pics I would be happy to email. Thanks
Old 19 April 2019, 10:37 PM   #9
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Bezel insert is clearly service, and at first glance I suspect that the hands and dial are also service parts, but less blurry photos would help.

The case looks pretty rough in the photo that shows the movement. I wonder if someone has been using a file or grinding tool on the case between the lugs and on the tips of some of the lugs. Also, at least one of the lug holes is very close to the end of the lug, which can be a tipoff for overpolishing.

Probably not a collectible piece, but something you can have fun wearing.
Old 19 April 2019, 11:16 PM   #10
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
If one is going to assume the caseback is correct (though, I’ve never seen a fourth quarter 1966 Sub caseback that DIDN’T have the incorrect inverted “VI”: this one has “IV”) then the dial should also be from 1966. This one, clearly, is not.
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 11:29 PM   #11
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Hands look luminova, dial looks luminova or relumed...still a steal at that price
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 11:35 PM   #12
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Hands look luminova, dial looks luminova or relumed...still a steal at that price
i must have missed where the price was posted?
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 11:49 PM   #13
Rain49king
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
If one is going to assume the caseback is correct (though, I’ve never seen a fourth quarter 1966 Sub caseback that DIDN’T have the incorrect inverted “VI”: this one has “IV”) then the dial should also be from 1966. This one, clearly, is not.
Thanks for posting can you explain this a lil more clearly regarding the caseback? I am not following 100%. Thanks
Old 19 April 2019, 11:56 PM   #14
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Bezel insert is clearly service, and at first glance I suspect that the hands and dial are also service parts, but less blurry photos would help.

The case looks pretty rough in the photo that shows the movement. I wonder if someone has been using a file or grinding tool on the case between the lugs and on the tips of some of the lugs. Also, at least one of the lug holes is very close to the end of the lug, which can be a tipoff for overpolishing.

Probably not a collectible piece, but something you can have fun wearing.
Perfect description.

It's nice there's the two bracelets and box.

A shame the original parts aren't with it, but definitely a fun piece to have and hopefully not overpaid for.

Personally I'd sell a bracelet to recoup some of the cost.

I have a 1968 5513 with both bracelets and sold the rivet one years ago to put towards gold bullion to diversify with using "found money." I never wore it and it pinched hair, but now regret it since it was my grandfather's and adds to the originality. So if the poster wants to sell his!

Cool piece though to find at an estate sale. If the watch could talk. Enjoy Rain49king!
SunTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 11:59 PM   #15
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain49king View Post
Thanks for posting can you explain this a lil more clearly regarding the caseback? I am not following 100%. Thanks
Sure. Casebacks from that period had the date stamped in two-digit form, 64, 65, 66, etc. preceded by which quarter of that year it was produced, in Roman Numeral form, "I, II, II, IV" (III.65 would be third quarter of 1965).
BUT, for some curious reason, possibly a massive accidental stamp-setting, in 1966, the "IV" was inverted to read "VI". I believe it's specific to that year only.

The caseback you have says 66, but has "IV"...which is very odd.

Here's a correct one:
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-04-19 at 9.56.20 AM.png (64.7 KB, 258 views)
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 12:17 AM   #16
Rain49king
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Sure. Casebacks from that period had the date stamped in two-digit form, 64, 65, 66, etc. preceded by which quarter of that year it was produced, in Roman Numeral form, "I, II, II, IV" (III.65 would be third quarter of 1965).
BUT, for some curious reason, possibly a massive accidental stamp-setting, in 1966, the "IV" was inverted to read "VI". I believe it's specific to that year only.

The caseback you have says 66, but has "IV"...which is very odd.

Here's a correct one:
Cool information!! I appreciate the lesson.
Old 20 April 2019, 12:23 AM   #17
Rain49king
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
Perfect description.

It's nice there's the two bracelets and box.

A shame the original parts aren't with it, but definitely a fun piece to have and hopefully not overpaid for.

Personally I'd sell a bracelet to recoup some of the cost.

I have a 1968 5513 with both bracelets and sold the rivet one years ago to put towards gold bullion to diversify with using "found money." I never wore it and it pinched hair, but now regret it since it was my grandfather's and adds to the originality. So if the poster wants to sell his!

Cool piece though to find at an estate sale. If the watch could talk. Enjoy Rain49king!
I may end up selling a bracelet or sending both out for overhaul haven’t decided yet. It is a cool piece like I said never really ventured into the vintage world but I definitely see the appeal!