The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 April 2019, 05:30 AM   #1
Rolexfax33
"TRF" Member

1680 Bezel removal help?

Hi everyone,

I'm going to have to pop off the bezel to my 1680 for an insert change pretty soon.

I've seen the videos and have a couple of questions if you don't mind?

1) Does the 1680 bezel have a spring? (I doubt it since it doesn't click but just thought I'd ask.)

2) Any other parts (tiny or otherwise) I should be aware not to lose while popping the bezel off?

3) I can do this right? Seriously. I can do this right?
Rolexfax33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 06:43 AM   #2
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
The 1680 has a flat circular spring. It's curved and provides upward pressure on the bezel. It's non-directional. In case you don't know, you're suppose to push down on the bezel before rotating it. When the flat spring pushes the bezel back up (when you let go), it's suppose to friction lock it in place (although if you apply enough force, you can still turn it but I don't recommend doing that as it obviously wears the friction points)

Depending on how loose the fitment is on your particular 1680, you should be able to lift it directly off. My 1680 Red was easy to remove initially but once I had a new OEM crystal installed, it became more difficult. No other parts that I can recall. It's a very simple setup.

Be careful on the insert removal/insertion. The area where the pearl sits is very, very weak. You can easily crack or bend the insert at that location. The way I removed and inserted the insert is to start opposite of the pearl so I start to pop out the existing insert at the 6 o'clock position. When inserting a new one, I insert the pearl section into the bezel first then work my way around both sides until I meet at 6 o'clock. I'm no expert so this may not be the right/best way but it's worked for me.
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 06:45 AM   #3
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Getting the bezel off? Yup, you can do it. No problem. Just don't be aggressive. And yes, there's a flat, flexible, tension "spring" under the bezel.

Now...as for the insert change...well, that's a whole other kind of potential frustration.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 10:01 PM   #4
Rolexfax33
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys!!

I actually had no idea you should push the bezel down to turn. I guess you do learn something new everyday.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolexfax33 is offline   Reply With Quote