The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 26 July 2018, 10:22 AM   #1
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Just arrived- SBDC063

I just got the Seiko SBDC063 and want to share some of my impressions. It caught my eye online and was captivating the moment I opened the box. What makes it to me, the most stunning and noticeable draw, is the somewhat slim, blue bezel. it is an intriguing blue too…

As of now, this is a JDM. I ordered it from Japan.

There is also is a noticeably higher level of quality in this one, reminding that “you get what you pay for”. The quality and value from Seiko is incredible. This is somewhat higher priced than many in the Seiko line, and has a noticeably higher level of craftsmanship than the lower priced models I have owned.

The dial is simple and plain and understated, but has a quiet, confident quality to it. The indices and surrounds look finer. The hands do as well; they look strong, not flimsy. The chapter ring is plain but does not look cheap. And the bezel lines up perfectly! I get a feeling of more care, attention and quality here.

Then again, at about $800, a level of quality is to be expected.

The case is cool and sculpted, sort of a variant of the turtle, not round all the way around.

Size is about the same as other popular Seiko divers, meaning it is substantial but not oversized. It wears smaller than its dimensions of H51mm x W44mm x D13.1mm.

The specs indicate “Dia shield” coating to the case, supposedly keeping the case scratch resistant. I will be curious to see how it reacts.

Consistent with their better watches, this one is powered by the 6R15 movement. I have had some very good luck with these. This one has gained 11 seconds over the last 3-4 days or so. Incredible!

I chose the silicon band. I fear it would be too heavy for me on a steel bracelet, and indeed it is a heavy watch, I have it at 4.15 ounces. The silicon is a high quality, very soft, generously sized for large wrists, very nice…

The lume is off the charts, very bright. The overall legibility is pretty good too, important to me.

One complaint, and this is one of my personal little peeves, is the size of the crown. It is large. I don’t like to feel the crown on my hand. I didn’t think I could deal with it and was considering selling or returning the watch. But I am so impressed with this watch that I decided to give it a try. It is an offset crown, so is somewhat out of the way, and with the band adjusted I do not find this to be an issue. Just from observation, the crown strikes me as larger than some of the others on Seikos.

So far, I am certainly enjoying this watch…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1874.jpg (149.3 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1877.jpg (184.1 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1878.jpg (183.7 KB, 254 views)
Tbonewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2018, 10:45 AM   #2
nbsheeran
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Great watch. I got last year's 42mm version, the SBP053, also in blue. I absolutely love this watch. The dial and bezel in bright sunlight are incredible.

I also ended up getting the Seiko bracelet from the 051 black version. In this case, I found the bracelet a tad heavy and now wear it on leather. I would have pulled the trigger on this year's model and gotten the black version, but since they share the same handset I figured they were too similar.

Congratulations on your watch. I think they are both a tremendous value.
nbsheeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2018, 10:56 AM   #3
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbsheeran View Post
Great watch. I got last year's 42mm version, the SBP053, also in blue. I absolutely love this watch. The dial and bezel in bright sunlight are incredible.

I also ended up getting the Seiko bracelet from the 051 black version. In this case, I found the bracelet a tad heavy and now wear it on leather. I would have pulled the trigger on this year's model and gotten the black version, but since they share the same handset I figured they were too similar.

Congratulations on your watch. I think they are both a tremendous value.
Thank you! A friend got that model too and I came very close to getting it as well. Funny, but my friend hates the offset crowns on Seikos, while I like 'em. The two sure seem very very similar in many ways and in quality. And I have had great luck w the 6R15.
Old 31 July 2018, 01:31 PM   #4
tahitianmoon
Banned

Watch: AP 15400ST
I have the opportunity to pick one up on a bracelet for $680--any thoughts?
tahitianmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 01:33 PM   #5
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
This one is high on my list of Seiko wants right now.
Old 31 July 2018, 02:24 PM   #6
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahitianmoon View Post
I have the opportunity to pick one up on a bracelet for $680--any thoughts?
that's a good price! For me, ebay offered me a 15% coupon, and I will generally buy something when they give me one of those. I also had just earned some pretty hefty ebay bucks; those are earned though, and not a gift. I like Premium-Japan and have bought from them before and checked them out. I hadn't looked at their inventory for a lil and this suddenly seemed to appear. Evidently it is a brand new model, I think it hit the streets in June, 2018. Again, the cool, slim, blue bezel really caught my eye, so I made the move. I still had some anxiety though and hoped I'd like it, and again, when I opened it I was very pleasantly surprised. BTW, these guys Premium-Japan, I don't know how they do it, but it shipped on a Friday and arrived on Monday I think, a real pro operation. I paid $820, but my coupons reduced it. I think that was the sticker price too, of 90,000 JPY. I see it is now $750 on silicone. My feeling was I felt I could sell it if unhappy and not get hurt too bad. I'm pretty finicky and picky and have been wearing it a whole lot for the last week plus. Let us know, good luck!
Old 31 July 2018, 02:27 PM   #7
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
This one is high on my list of Seiko wants right now.
Seems to be in your wheelhouse and right up your line!
Old 31 July 2018, 02:53 PM   #8
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Even thought the lug 2 lug is 51mm I want to try one of these out soon.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 03:47 PM   #9
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
Even thought the lug 2 lug is 51mm I want to try one of these out soon.
I have a big wrist, 7 1/2", it fits me perfectly, so I guess it never occurred to me. I do feel it wears smaller, but that is in terms of the face and diameter. The lugs curve somewhat downward and I think the Monster is 47.5, so just a little bit longer. Be careful.
Old 1 August 2018, 02:04 AM   #10
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
Nice piece!!! Congrats!
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 02:28 AM   #11
jdmi32
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Congrats! I'm very tempted myself. Those ebay coupons that knock off a hundred dollars really make it tough to resist, especially if Chino has one available at $728.
jdmi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 02:55 AM   #12
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
Nice piece!!! Congrats!
thanks Genaro!
Old 1 August 2018, 03:01 AM   #13
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmi32 View Post
Congrats! I'm very tempted myself. Those ebay coupons that knock off a hundred dollars really make it tough to resist, especially if Chino has one available at $728.
Indeed Ky! That's a nice little incentive. I knew Premium-Japan was a lil higher than some others, but I had dealt with them before and knew they were very reliable. I am still a little bit nervous about buying from overseas on ebay, but I have done it a few times now with a few sellers, the other being Creationwatches. Your price is excellent, you're pretty safe if you decide to part with it later. Good luck and let us know how you make out...
Old 1 August 2018, 03:24 AM   #14
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
I like these, but I have the SBDX017 MM300, so this might be a bit redundant. That dark blue is really nice, though... Great find at that price, too.

I also had one of the SBDC051 from last year, but I sold it to fund my MM300. I might buy the PADI version eventually, as I really liked how that one wore on my wrist. The one complaint I had was that the chapter ring wasn't printed correctly, so it didn't align right. I sent it to Seiko and they blew me off; terrible CS. Kind of soured me on it. But I'm still a Seiko lover.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 03:39 AM   #15
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
I like these, but I have the SBDX017 MM300, so this might be a bit redundant. That dark blue is really nice, though... Great find at that price, too.

I also had one of the SBDC051 from last year, but I sold it to fund my MM300. I might buy the PADI version eventually, as I really liked how that one wore on my wrist. The one complaint I had was that the chapter ring wasn't printed correctly, so it didn't align right. I sent it to Seiko and they blew me off; terrible CS. Kind of soured me on it. But I'm still a Seiko lover.
Jon, I've had many monsters, some have lined up pretty close to perfect, some don't. Is it usually the chapter ring? I think I've had a few, including a Turtle I just parted with, where the bezel seemed to have some play too. That's a drag on any watch, but the SBDC051 is not a cheap watch. I'd think there'd be more attention to detail. On my new SBDC063, it lines up perfectly.
Old 1 August 2018, 02:37 PM   #16
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Looks very nice.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 02:42 PM   #17
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Looks very nice.
thanks CJ!
Old 1 August 2018, 02:48 PM   #18
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

I think these pics show the color a little bit better. I don't know what you'd call it, some kind of unusual blue, toward green... maybe some kind of turquoise... and what it looks like on the wrist, 7 1/2"...

it gained 12 seconds over about 6 days and has stayed there for the last 2 days. I am very inactive and haven't wound it since I put it on 8 days ago. I find that remarkable!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1890.jpg (147.6 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1891.jpg (154.8 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1892.jpg (226.2 KB, 116 views)