The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 July 2019, 07:59 PM   #1
DSplash
"TRF" Member

1675 crown guards shape/finish

Hi

I’ve searched all over for a recap on 1675 crown guard history without success...

I’m specifically interested in post-PCG gilt crown guard shapes. As I’m aware the word « unpolished » is very frequently misused, I have trouble figuring what was/were the crown guards factory shape/finish.
I’ve seen some with very squared CG, others more rounded. Some are brushed on the top, others are polished like the sides.

Square ones :

More « rounded » ones :

So I’m wondering : are the rounded CG a result of over polishing original squared ones or were there 2 different shapes to begin with?

Thanks for the help

If someone has truly unpolished examples, it would be great!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
DSplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 01:20 AM   #2
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
The shape changed somewhat during the 1970s. I can't say exactly when but there was a thread here a few years ago that discussed the differences between the GMT 1675 crown guards with the later ones being a little more rounded.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 03:18 AM   #3
DSplash
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your answer!
Actually, the first picture I posted to illustrate those rounded CG (with the black insert) is my 66 gilt with a 1.22 serial
My underlying interrogation is to know if it was originally supposed to have square CG and was incredibly badly polished to turn into rounded ones or if it was the original shape.

Did Rolex make the cases themselves or did they have other companies do them like for the dials?

Old 21 July 2019, 05:05 AM   #4
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSplash View Post
Thanks for your answer!
Actually, the first picture I posted to illustrate those rounded CG (with the black insert) is my 66 gilt with a 1.22 serial
My underlying interrogation is to know if it was originally supposed to have square CG and was incredibly badly polished to turn into rounded ones or if it was the original shape.

Did Rolex make the cases themselves or did they have other companies do them like for the dials?

Your Gilt Crown Guards have been polished and rounded,They didn’t start like that IMHO.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 04:42 PM   #5
DSplash
"TRF" Member

If so, that would mean at some point it was polished by someone who didn’t know the original shape and thought it should be round because there isn’t that much steel removed and the lugs aren’t that thin...It’d be weird

Should I try to have the top slightly brushed and « squared » back? Or at this point I should leave it as is?
Thanks!

Old 22 July 2019, 10:17 AM   #6
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSplash View Post

Should I try to have the top slightly brushed and « squared » back? Or at this point I should leave it as is?
Thanks!
I'd leave it as it is. It's a beauty, and you can get into a world of hurt if you start messing around unnecessarily with old stuff. It aint broke...
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 01:47 AM   #7
DSplash
"TRF" Member

It might indeed be wiser...I’m not ready yet for a case refinishing although that would be aesthetically the best option