The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 July 2019, 11:25 AM   #91
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan81 View Post
If the imperfection is going to bother you, then ditch the loupe. If you fully expect the imperfections and are OK with them, then keep the loupe and enjoy.

True. Good point.
Old 20 July 2019, 11:26 AM   #92
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinghunter View Post
Most especially if you were to chose that method to examine your wife's face...both your habit and perhaps nose would be broken.

Then she takes the loupe and finds her diamond wedding ring has more flaws than you and it's off shopping for a D color, F clarity rock at Tiffanys, then the cost of facial plastic surgery (hers, not yours) and pretty soon this loupe costs starts getting out of hand.
You've hit the nail on the head here. I wonder how many of these Loupe addicts have ever looked at a genuine diamond with one.

Nothing is perfect......except for the fake instasham world that they mistake for the real one.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 12:10 PM   #93
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrown55 View Post
I have a new BLRO and under a loupe there is a defect in the paint on the GMT hand. Someone on a FB forum who has a BLNR noticed a similar defect in the GMT hand. Anyone else have anything similar to report on the painted GMT hands of the newer models? Its the only defect I've ever been able to detect on my Rolexes.
Why are you looking for faults? Look hard and long enough at something - anything, and you’re likely to find an imperfection.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 08:14 PM   #94
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
I have no idea and never will.

I guess ignorance is truly bliss.

I have never, ever considered taking a loupe and reviewing my watches.

God bless those that have the time and interest.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jamie1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 08:15 PM   #95
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m too much of a watch enthusiast to not closely examine every watch I come in contact with. To each his own i guess.

Probs should have louped before you purchased them.....

Old 20 July 2019, 08:15 PM   #96
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m too much of a watch enthusiast to not closely examine every watch I come in contact with. To each his own i guess.

Every one you come in contact with...strangers who wear wristwatches must not like you lol

Old 20 July 2019, 08:30 PM   #97
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
I must admit to using a loupe to look for the etched crown when they first came out. Limited myself to that.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 08:34 PM   #98
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Icon13

Quote:
..go stay under your rocks. ...go screw yourselves.. ..go to another forum... ..dominated by idiots.... these forums are full of jerks..
Wow.. what a horrible attitude.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 08:44 PM   #99
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So to all who said put the loupe away and enjoy the watch on the wrist: I would never have parted with hard earned cash if I didn’t know how to enjoy my purchases. I enjoy examining watches to a fine detail, with rolexes i often go into my lab and look at them under extreme magnification and marvel at the detail and craftsmanship. So all of you who said that rolexes should never be examined under a loupe, go stay under your rocks. as far as haute horology is concerned Rolex is at the top of the game. I have 7, my wife has 5 and my children have several and i enjoy examining them under fine scrutiny. So go screw yourselves if you want to disparage Rolex quality, go to another forum. I was asking a question if anyone had noticed any quality issues on a particular model and dozens thought that they could chime in with very uninformed opinions. EVERY mass produced product have flaws and its the flaws that make them unique. I love going to my friends garage and looking at his 69 Ferrari and i look at it with the curiosity of a police detective. We love exploring the things done right and the things that slipped through. I will look at my Rolexes under high magnification, i will document the things done perfect and the things that could have been done better. This is horology. I’m about done with forums because they are dominated by idiots.

Please go back to your “lab” angry man

Old 20 July 2019, 11:07 PM   #100
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
If you want those truly hand-crafted details you have to pay Patek prices. Rolex parts are mass produced and there are bound to be minor flaws. That's the difference between a $12,000 watch and a $25,000+ watch. But to my eye, without a loupe, Rolex quality is very good. Not perfect, but good. Good enough, and the difference in quality between Rolex and Patek (insert any super premium brand) is not worth the price difference. I'm a tool watch kind of guy so I'm not looking for perfection.
Exactly this
Rodrigo082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 12:35 AM   #101
Fredcohiba
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 126334
Got my First Rolex in Dec. Looked at it a few days later under a loupe and saw a very small scratch - albeit on the case side that was not visible to my naked why. That was the first and last time I will use a loupe. Got a Tudoe GMT in Feb and it is perfect, no flaws with the naked eye and no restless nights.
Fredcohiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 12:36 AM   #102
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
If like me when I turn on my fireTV, click youtube you're bombarded with recommended videos of bad homage reviews you'll understand why Rolex should be setting the standard here.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 01:06 AM   #103
faldoc
"TRF" Member

I’d be annoyed after parting with $10,000+ for a watch and finding the cosmetic quality to be substandard. However, I’d probably give Rolex the opportunity to get it right before going to a forum.

You do have to wonder about the stuff you don’t see on the inside when there are issues like this on the visible parts.

That said, I’ve never used any magnification other than my iPhone photos to look at my SubC. I learned that the dust on it looks a lot worse that way!
faldoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 01:47 AM   #104
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wristwatcherboy View Post
Rolex is not “haute horology”. It is mass produced. AP and Patek are Haute.
Indeed. Which is why all the fools paying such marked up prices are so amusing. People never seem to learn. These are still still tool watches, pigs if you will, that have had some lipstick applied in the form of gold surrounds and such and have had out of whack price inflation throughout the decades as a result. People paying near Patek prices for a Rolex have me chuckling. I'll order a 114060 from an AD soon and I'll pay not one penny above the already much too inflated msrp for it.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 08:08 AM   #105
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Be glad it’s only paint. I’m more concerned that adjusting the hour hand on a 3186 feels like a $6 watch that’s about to bust at any moment. But back on subject; to the OP, yes, the painting of the 24 hour hand is substandard.
I’ve wondered about this too. I’m beyond thrilled with my BLNR and it’s my one and only 3186, but my impression of the tin-iness of jumping the hour hand is the same as yours.
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote