The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: so?
NO, better NOT to introduce a steel new similar 5711 73 49.32%
YES, introduce a new one 75 50.68%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 January 2021, 05:59 PM   #1
unknown
"TRF" Member

Should they make a new STEEL simple Nautilus ?

Easy question , the 5711/1A is discontinued

What would be the best FOR PATEK NOT FOR YOU
So if you don't have one but would like to get one , sorry but I don't care

So only thinking would it be good or bad for Patek if doe do or don't make a new one ?
Old 23 January 2021, 06:04 PM   #2
unknown
"TRF" Member

I would say DON'T
for these kind of reasons

1/ the Nautilus line is too wide and is cannibalizing the rest of their products
2/ make them only available in gold
3/ when only in gold, more profit for Patek
4/ focus on more complicated watches
5/ ...
Old 23 January 2021, 09:35 PM   #3
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Watch: pp and only pp
I would say no. make them available in precious metals.
huydoan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 09:56 PM   #4
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Strategy should be as follows:

1) Make a replacement 5711 in WG with different tone of blue dial and improved (5740) clasp (=more profit to PP and getting out of the steel watches steal all demand trap)
2) As a result the price for the discontinued 5711/1A skyrockets even further, with the "halo-effect" affecting secondary prices for other Patek models (especially other steel Nautilus and Aquanauts)
3) Watch hype, FOMO and brand value increase to new heights
3) Wait a few years, re-introduce a limited production/edition steel 6711 (2-part case like ref. 3700, no second hand and improved clasp) at a materially higher retail price. Use this as a reward piece for big PP collectors. Reap the rewards of even further hype and brand value surrounding PP.
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 10:04 PM   #5
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
I think they should continue with a steel Nautilus. It’s 45 years old now and part of their history. Killing off an iconic watch makes no sense to me, unless they have something better to replace it.

The Nautilus has brought Patek a lot of brand recognition and got more people interested in the brand. If the Nautilus goes, then I believe interest in the brand will decline.

Some of the slow moving lines only get sold as part of a bundle with a Nautilus. Well I’m afraid those watches would just sit on the shelves unsold.

Discontinuing a watch because it’s too popular and cannibalising other watches makes no sense to me - they are different watches with a different appeal. Discontinue the nautilus and people won’t all of a sudden be after a calatrava, they will just go to AP for a 15202.

If it really is cannibalising other products, well focus on making those more desirable rather than just saying we can’t compete with one of our own products.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 10:05 PM   #6
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

If Patek follows their current trajectory, they need a new limited edition with red hands to celebrate something. Then six months later another limited edition, with blue hands to celebrate.... Then six months later after that another limited edition with orange hands to celebrate....

So make it only for limited editions, yet only use old movements still hanging around the factory, and stick to an industry worst two-year warranty to avoid the liability / company overhead in future service costs.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 10:13 PM   #7
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Aye for me, for the simple reason this watch is too beautiful for Patek to kill. I understand the Sterns have a deep appreciation for arts and handicraft. While the construction of the simple Nautilus does not involved enamelling, marquetry, engraving, or guilloché, the case design and bracelet of the Nautilus are so curvaceous, intricate and sexy. They would make wonderful gifts for VIP as reward for their support of the brand.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 10:35 PM   #8
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
An updated 5711 would be great and I think PP leaves a lot on the table if it is not replaced.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 11:05 PM   #9
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
I think they should continue with a steel Nautilus. It’s 45 years old now and part of their history. Killing off an iconic watch makes no sense to me, unless they have something better to replace it.

The Nautilus has brought Patek a lot of brand recognition and got more people interested in the brand. If the Nautilus goes, then I believe interest in the brand will decline.

Some of the slow moving lines only get sold as part of a bundle with a Nautilus. Well I’m afraid those watches would just sit on the shelves unsold.

Discontinuing a watch because it’s too popular and cannibalising other watches makes no sense to me - they are different watches with a different appeal. Discontinue the nautilus and people won’t all of a sudden be after a calatrava, they will just go to AP for a 15202.

If it really is cannibalising other products, well focus on making those more desirable rather than just saying we can’t compete with one of our own products.

100% agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 11:08 PM   #10
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
If Patek follows their current trajectory, they need a new limited edition with red hands to celebrate something. Then six months later another limited edition, with blue hands to celebrate.... Then six months later after that another limited edition with orange hands to celebrate....

So make it only for limited editions, yet only use old movements still hanging around the factory, and stick to an industry worst two-year warranty to avoid the liability / company overhead in future service costs.
I love this idea! Make it regional, as Patek tends to do. Hong Kong only edition, limited to residents of Hong Kong, Macao only edition, Santa Fe only edition.
Price it stratospherically high so that it sells at a discount in the gray market and the only people who are complaining are the one's who bought it at MSRP.
OR, make it so ugly that no one wants it and it lingers in the cases of ADs and all the whining about availability and wait lists ends.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 12:10 AM   #11
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I think it’s best for PP to continue the simple Nautilus- its iconic for the brand, and its presence likely gets a lot of customers into the brand, even if they cannot obtain one. Keep production low, to keep the hype up and give people “hope” they can one day obtain one. That “hope”’will keep them engaged in the brand and likely lead them to one day purchase other PP watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 12:47 AM   #12
soundserious
"TRF" Member

They have to get out of the steel Nautilus business. It has destroyed demand for their complications. Annual and perpetual calendars have been gathering dust for years now!

I wouldn’t have traded my blue 5711 for a 5270 a year ago. Now I wouldn’t even trade my white one. And therein lies the whole problem.
Old 24 January 2021, 01:16 AM   #13
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
They have to get out of the steel Nautilus business. It has destroyed demand for their complications. Annual and perpetual calendars have been gathering dust for years now!

I wouldn’t have traded my blue 5711 for a 5270 a year ago. Now I wouldn’t even trade my white one. And therein lies the whole problem.
Care to expand, can’t understand your logic?
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 01:29 AM   #14
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I think he's referring to some of the secondary price approaching 5270p secondary pricing already..... Really is quite comical.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 01:32 AM   #15
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I think what he meant is that Patek is sooner or later going down the AP route of being known only for their Nautilus and Aquanaut lines. Which is why he wouldn’t trade his 5711 for a 5270 although the 5270 being a PCC is so much more of a watch than a 3 hand 5711. The state of the market nowadays makes it such that wealthy client walk into the Patek boutique to ask for a 5711 or 5167 instead of a 5270 or a 5370. Though TS has said time and again he wants to limit the Nautilus production to avoid the focus being taken away from the grand complication and complication line up... his strategy seems to be the exact opposite to what he is saying tbh ...
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 01:36 AM   #16
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
I love this idea! Make it regional, as Patek tends to do. Hong Kong only edition, limited to residents of Hong Kong, Macao only edition, Santa Fe only edition.
Price it stratospherically high so that it sells at a discount in the gray market and the only people who are complaining are the one's who bought it at MSRP.
OR, make it so ugly that no one wants it and it lingers in the cases of ADs and all the whining about availability and wait lists ends.
Am glad you loved my idea, yet it's really just the same as has been done since the kid took charge. I disagree with you about pricing tho, yes it needs to be high, yet not too much to factor in grey market profit.

Oh, also friendly disagree as none will linger at AD, no matter what it really looks like or if the limited edition case back said 2020.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 01:38 AM   #17
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Without the Nautilus, the AC and the PC would still be gathering dust. Maybe more dust. Like Breguet perhaps?
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 01:55 AM   #18
Xerxes77
Banned

I don’t know what they do..... but certainly the 5711 or 6711 or however they will name it will continue to exist..... it’s one of the watch that have a special place in Patek history and I can say 100% they can’t and also don’t want to renounce at this piece....
If 2 years ago they don’t renounce to 5726 and discontinued grey and white dial and replaced with blue dial..... for sure they will not discontinue THE LEGEND.....
About some who say they don’t want to become AP and to be associated only with Nautilus or Aquanaut..... I say till 5 years ago few people are interested like now on other Patek watches..... now because of interest for Nautilus discover and other interesting piece on Patek collection.....
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 01:58 AM   #19
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
I think it’s best for PP to continue the simple Nautilus- its iconic for the brand, and its presence likely gets a lot of customers into the brand, even if they cannot obtain one. Keep production low, to keep the hype up and give people “hope” they can one day obtain one. That “hope”’will keep them engaged in the brand and likely lead them to one day purchase other PP watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You're right! Patek should bring back the beloved, but discontinued, 5711/1a.
Old 24 January 2021, 01:59 AM   #20
Pateks
Banned

Quote:

AP called. They want their marketing strategy back.
Pateks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 02:06 AM   #21
Xerxes77
Banned

Icon6

Quote:
Am glad you loved my idea, yet it's really just the same as has been done since the kid took charge. I disagree with you about pricing tho, yes it needs to be high, yet not too much to factor in grey market profit.

Oh, also friendly disagree as none will linger at AD, no matter what it really looks like or if the limited edition case back said 2020.
Yap.... good idea..... can they personalize and to town?
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 02:15 AM   #22
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I know that you are correct about all your points, here, I was being somewhat facetious with my arguments. However, if the issue with the 5711 is that it's too popular and unobtainable and there is envy amongst those who are unable to get one at MSRP which causes bad feelings towards PP and that that is at least part of the reasoning for cancelling it then the logical answer is to make it so expensive at retail that almost no one wants to pay up for it (a function now performed by the gray market) or to make it so ugly, when it is reissued, that no one wants to buy it at all.
Ichiran makes a terrific point, too, that discontinuing the 5711 isn't going to help sell watches that already don't sell.
Old 24 January 2021, 02:20 AM   #23
Pateks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
I know that you are correct about all your points, here, I was being somewhat facetious with my arguments. However, if the issue with the 5711 is that it's too popular and unobtainable and there is envy amongst those who are unable to get one at MSRP which causes bad feelings towards PP and that that is at least part of the reasoning for cancelling it then the logical answer is to make it so expensive at retail that almost no one wants to pay up for it (a function now performed by the gray market) or to make it so ugly, when it is reissued, that no one wants to buy it at all.
Ichiran makes a terrific point, too, that discontinuing the 5711 isn't going to help sell watches that already don't sell.
No matter how expensive the retail, if it’s a popular watch, Gray market will up the prices. Look at the prices of the 40th anniversary watches. 300k asking. It’s nuts.
Pateks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 02:21 AM   #24
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Should they make a new STEEL simple Nautilus ?

The notion that anyone is going to start buying AC/PC/PCC because they discontinue the nautilus is absurd imho.

It’s not cannibalism. Customers just want the sport pieces. They would otherwise just buy Rolex or AP etc
Old 24 January 2021, 02:57 AM   #25
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I don’t think the popularity of the steel Nautilus has had any impact on the ACs or PCs. I have mostly steel Nautiluses and Aquanauts and a few ACs/Calatrava on straps. I have young kids and am pretty active, so the steel pieces fit my lifestyle better. My 5146 and my 5524 are probably my two favorite watches, but I need to think consciously about what I’m doing before I head out. Not the case with my 5711/5164/5168/5726.
UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 02:58 AM   #26
dannyp
Banned

Yes. Just not right now. As long as people are willing to pay $50-60k for a PP sports watch, let them pay it to PP (by selling PM versions with that as MSRP). Basically, this is the way to kill the hyper-inflated grey market now that stainless is no longer an "affordable" entry point.

Once that hype is under control, and everyone is paying MSRP +/- 10-15%, then release stainless version, perhaps in 37mm (original was 37, right?).

That assumes the TI version doesn't tank... If so, then it'll be more imperative to create a SS replacement.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 03:02 AM   #27
dannyp
Banned

Oh, and here's an alternative scenario (if the "hype" is actually helping the rest of the line):

PP contacts its dealer network, takes count of the number of "serious" waitlist requests for a 5711, then releases a "limited edition" stainless piece in just enough quantity to satisfy those who have already been waiting for a now-discontinued piece. Almost identical to 5711, but some very slight variation, like blue dial-blue date wheel.
Old 24 January 2021, 03:46 AM   #28
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMartiny View Post
Strategy should be as follows:

1) Make a replacement 5711 in WG with different tone of blue dial and improved (5740) clasp (=more profit to PP and getting out of the steel watches steal all demand trap)
2) As a result the price for the discontinued 5711/1A skyrockets even further, with the "halo-effect" affecting secondary prices for other Patek models (especially other steel Nautilus and Aquanauts)
3) Watch hype, FOMO and brand value increase to new heights
4) Wait a few years, re-introduce a limited production/edition steel 6711 (2-part case like ref. 3700, no second hand and improved clasp) at a materially higher retail price. Use this as a reward piece for big PP collectors. Reap the rewards of even further hype and brand value surrounding PP.
Sounds like a plan! Launch an electric blue or black 5711/1G (and possibly 1J) this spring and release a new simple steel Nautilus only at the 50th anniversary.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 03:49 AM   #29
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
you're joking right? i mean unless i misread your post.

the nautilus is the watch that put them on the map with the more mainstream watch enthusiats.

it would be a terrible decision to kill the 3 hander.

that is like the rolex killing the sub or AP the 3 hander royal oak. look how people went ballistic over the CODE 1159 3 handers. imagine had they killed the 15400 and not replaced the 15500.

look at how well the 3 hander VC overseas (4500v) with less pedigree has done.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 03:52 AM   #30
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
you're joking right? i mean unless i misread your post.

the nautilus is the watch that put them on the map with the more mainstream watch enthusiats.

it would be a terrible decision to kill the 3 hander.

that is like the rolex killing the sub or AP the 3 hander royal oak. look how people went ballistic over the CODE 1159 3 handers. imagine had they killed the 15400 and not replaced the 15500.

look at how well the 3 hander VC overseas (4500v) with less pedigree has done.
I don't think it was a question of killing the style completely (unless I similarly misread). But there's another thread with supposedly leaded photos of the new, non-PM Nautilus and it's titanium, not steel. So, the question becomes: Should there be a new SS variant, too?