The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 September 2018, 06:29 AM   #61
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keadog View Post
What is a Chief People Officer? She's leaving as well, but I have no ida how or if that hurts more or less than if she stayed.
HR...... I would say thats pretty big as well but the CAO leaving after a month is a sign something is up. The HR woman took a leave of absence after 15 months and then said she was not going to return. Now Musk is on camera smoking pot with Joe Rogan..... you cannot make this stuff up.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 06:34 AM   #62
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I just read about this on Bloomberg, crazy stuff.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 06:40 AM   #63
Star Ferry
Banned

I think it's becoming clear that Musk is a world-class engineer but not a good CEO. He's not a people person and he struggles with balancing the interests of his countless stakeholders against his narrow personal interests, e.g. exploring Mars.

I am forwarding this thread to his email and hope that he chimes in. Based on his recent interview, we know he enjoys clocks, so we all have at least one thing in common
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 08:15 PM   #64
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Considering Elon's situation, imho it would be best if he STFU and let's experts do what they do best. Because as it stands now, it is obvious he can't professionally and properly 'handle' the situations surrounding him.

Has he decided on a roof tile design yet?

Does his business model work in the short / medium / long term without government subsidies?

Elon has potential, yet seems he is his own worst enemy at the moment.... and just throwing more money and PR people at the situation is not a real solution.

Look, am a big fan of SpaceX and am not at liberty to say too much more there other than a few weeks back I was personally in attendance at the Kennedy Space Center when we announced the return to producing USA-made crafts to aid in America's next generation of astronaut exploration. So love his ideas and work to some extent, yet being a creative idea guy IS FAR FROM being great at all the 'many facets and inner workings' that make a company successful.

Sometimes a Creative Director (or whatever title one chooses to give themselves) needs to understand their place WITHIN the overall scheme to reach their goal(s). Have the right people in the right places doing the right tasks and all that.

JMHO YMMV
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 09:45 PM   #65
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
HR...... I would say thats pretty big as well but the CAO leaving after a month is a sign something is up. The HR woman took a leave of absence after 15 months and then said she was not going to return. Now Musk is on camera smoking pot with Joe Rogan..... you cannot make this stuff up.

Musk is toast. Tesla???? Betcha Tesla is as well.

Just saying...….

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 10:08 AM   #66
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Link to Musk interview with Joe Rogan: https://youtu.be/ycPr5-27vSI
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 12:53 PM   #67
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
When I heard he was going to go on Joe Rogan the first thing I wondered is if he would smoke weed. I wasn’t let down. As a shareholder I’m cool with it.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 01:04 PM   #68
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
When I heard he was going to go on Joe Rogan the first thing I wondered is if he would smoke weed. I wasn’t let down. As a shareholder I’m cool with it.
I think weed should have been legalized long ago.

However it’s my understanding shares suffered because of this, are you Ok with that as well

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 9 September 2018, 01:20 PM   #69
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
I think weed should have been legalized long ago.

However it’s my understanding shares suffered because of this, are you Ok with that as well
Weed is legal in Southern California where they filmed the show.

As for the price drop, for me it’s a long term speculation so changes now I don’t mind because I’m holding it.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 01:33 PM   #70
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Weed is legal in Southern California where they filmed the show.

As for the price drop, for me it’s a long term speculation so changes now I don’t mind because I’m holding it.
Yeah, but I doubt what he has done will be temporary. Pretty stupid and irresponsible if you ask me. I guess we’ll see.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 9 September 2018, 01:38 PM   #71
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, but I doubt what he has done will be temporary. Pretty stupid and irresponsible if you ask me. I guess we’ll see.

Maybe a long play on trying to convince folks to dump shares and move towards private? I personally have no issue with the pot. But, he’s a loose cannon and not something you want to see from a CEO that is bleeding cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 01:45 PM   #72
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Maybe a long play on trying to convince folks to dump shares and move towards private? I personally have no issue with the pot. But, he’s a loose cannon and not something you want to see from a CEO that is bleeding cash.

I doubt most know or even care whether it was taped where it was legal or not. How long before he tries to apologize or they try to remove him to save the company? Anyone care to guess?

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 9 September 2018, 01:47 PM   #73
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I doubt most know or even care whether it was taped where it was legal or not. How long before he tries to apologize or they try to remove him to save the company? Anyone care to guess?

Would that be considered a hostile takeover? I wonder if that’s possible. It’s certainly conceivable.

Old 9 September 2018, 01:51 PM   #74
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Would that be considered a hostile takeover? I wonder if that’s possible. It’s certainly conceivable.

Frankly have no idea how solid his position is, but it wouldn’t be the first time the founder was cast aside in an attempt to save the company. I think it just depends on how much of the actual company one truly controls.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 9 September 2018, 01:58 PM   #75
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Frankly have no idea how solid his position is, but it wouldn’t be the first time the founder was cast aside in an attempt to save the company. I think it just depends on how much of the actual company one truly controls.

I compare musk to T.O in his prime as a receiver. Brilliant receiver, maybe one of the best to ever play. But, he needs adult supervision at all time and should not talk in public. Elon is brilliant. He speaks extremely well but he needs someone to keep him on a leash.

Old 9 September 2018, 02:12 PM   #76
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I compare musk to T.O in his prime as a receiver. Brilliant receiver, maybe one of the best to ever play. But, he needs adult supervision at all time and should not talk in public. Elon is brilliant. He speaks extremely well but he needs someone to keep him on a leash.

Ah well, then maybe he”ll do Ok after all. Stupid behavior tends to play better now than it did decades ago. LOL

Kidding aside, stupid behavior doesn’t always work and has caught up to more than a few lately. Sounds like he needs to grow up. May very well be too late for Tesla however. But that’s just my guess.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 9 September 2018, 02:26 PM   #77
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
The video resonates with me.
Most of the time when I have summoned up the courage to actually "have a go" I have been able to have a win with a variety of these 'DIY' type tasks.
Sure, you sometimes need a lot of time to do some research on the net, identify experts who will share their knowledge, and chase parts all over the place, but stuff is often able to be fixed by the average bloke. The trick is to know when you lack key tools to do it.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 02:36 PM   #78
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
The video resonates with me.
Most of the time when I have summoned up the courage to actually "have a go" I have been able to have a win with a variety of these 'DIY' type tasks.
Sure, you sometimes need a lot of time to do some research on the net, identify experts who will share their knowledge, and chase parts all over the place, but stuff is often able to be fixed by the average bloke. The trick is to know when you lack key tools to do it.
Yeah, but I doubt that plays well with the majority of people nowadays. Isn’t the goal to sell as many as possible?

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 9 September 2018, 02:40 PM   #79
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Of course. Just a personal observation.
I wouldn't be too pleased to have to do continual maintenance on a new car, even a high mileage one like that bloke's Tesla.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 02:48 PM   #80
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Of course. Just a personal observation.
I wouldn't be too pleased to have to do continual maintenance on a new car, even a high mileage one like that bloke's Tesla.
Understand, and I would think where as most have a different mindset when buying into a vintage car they would find it more of a pain to have to do so with a new car. Especially if we are talking about a new car which is unreliable or problematic which this one appears to be to some degree.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 9 September 2018, 09:26 PM   #81
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
He’s an a**, but a rich one so he gets away with it.

Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2018, 04:22 AM   #82
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Haven’t gotten through the entire podcast, but they talk about some interesting things. I’m a fan of Joe Rogan and he is great at interviewing people like this.

But what Musk did on the show was irresponsible. Sorry, but when you’re the head of a corporation and have achieved the sort of celebrity status that he has, you’re held to a different standard than other people. It’s just the way that it is. Along with his Twitter announcement on going private, a subsequent interview the NYT painted the picture of a guy struggling with the responsibility of running the company. I know it’s legal, but publicly drinking and smoking weed isn’t going to give your shareholders a lot of confidence.

Link to the NYT article: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/16/b...iew-tesla.html
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2018, 04:41 AM   #83
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
Quote:
I personally have no issue with the pot. But, he’s a loose cannon and not something you want to see from a CEO that is bleeding cash.

This. He's been a dick by doing it in front of a camera,a totally lame dick
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2018, 05:42 AM   #84
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE 6 View Post
Haven’t gotten through the entire podcast, but they talk about some interesting things. I’m a fan of Joe Rogan and he is great at interviewing people like this.

But what Musk did on the show was irresponsible. Sorry, but when you’re the head of a corporation and have achieved the sort of celebrity status that he has, you’re held to a different standard than other people. It’s just the way that it is. Along with his Twitter announcement on going private, a subsequent interview the NYT painted the picture of a guy struggling with the responsibility of running the company. I know it’s legal, but publicly drinking and smoking weed isn’t going to give your shareholders a lot of confidence.

Elon is a pretty smart guy. He sees beyond the horizon. He's doing everything a smart guy would do to be bought out by the company. I would not be surprised to see a deal that allows him to leave without losing much value. How the board finances it with Tesla's current troubles is the question.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2018, 05:49 AM   #85
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE 6 View Post

I listened to the podcast during my run this morning, it was probably the hardest podcast from Rogan to listen to... Super clunky, he might be a genius but his communication skills need some polishing.

I don't have a problem with the marijuana as I'm an occasional user as well but I can definitely see why it upsets some people. Legal or not, it was not his smartest move...
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2018, 06:05 AM   #86
smak
Banned

whether he smoked weed or not (I didn't see an inhale, more of a cigar puff) the only transgression I saw was the amount of ice with that whiskey.

he conducted himself fine.. nobody got stupid.

I knew it was a nixie clock he was fascinated with before I looked into the manufacturer.. those things are cool.. and I got money on the fact that his mom was the "friend" that made him promise not to curse.

I think a lot of members here should loosen up a bit.. executives are human too, a bit of personality is only a detriment in fragmented corporations.. if thats the case you got bigger troubles that some off cuff remarks.

it was a bit gloomy how he mentioned the constant thoughts and ideas he had as if he wished he could turn them off.. in his position I dont see how he couldent be having fun with every one of them, even playing devils advocate against the bad ones.

and its really interesting how he often responds to questions by elaborating on the concept but stopping short, sometimes by a few notches from actually answering.. kind of like a painting with a title but no explaination from the creator, the beholder draws the ultimate conclusion this way.

joe picked up on an inconistancy in philosophies, biological space travel vs a.i. or integrated cybernetics as the path ahead.. I think with the ease and influence of social media it will be distopian future in any event.. way too much greed and insecurity out there and it proliferates with ease.

playing with ideas I think alternate philosophies are constantly in play.. its in our nature to have dualities and maintaining integrity is the challenge with it all.

funny the mention of transition from horse drawn carriage to automobiles came up.. back in the day if a horse got spooked by a fancy new car approaching the car owner was not only to pull over, but completely dissasemble the car to appease the horses sensebilities if it refused to proceed.

things arent changing so rapidly, the electric cars are still held back by old tech.

I dont get how someone spreading positive messages like he did at the end is accounted for the pedo accusations and controversy that seemed to rely on derivative logic, heresay and deductive reasoning.
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2018, 06:11 AM   #87
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I listened to the podcast during my run this morning, it was probably the hardest podcast from Rogan to listen to... Super clunky, he might be a genius but his communication skills need some polishing.

I don't have a problem with the marijuana as I'm an occasional user as well but I can definitely see why it upsets some people. Legal or not, it was not his smartest move...

It did seem that there were longer than normal intentional pauses to think about questions. If you watch him deliver the hour long introduction for the Tesla semi, he’s much more fluid IMO.

Old 10 September 2018, 06:16 AM   #88
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I think Elon is getting derailed. He should take a break and bring in an auto industry President and remain as CEO.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2018, 11:27 AM   #89
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I rather enjoyed the podcast.
Old 10 September 2018, 02:39 PM   #90
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
I'm on the fence but they are clearly doing a few things right.
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/09/09...car-in-the-us/
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote