The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 16 October 2018, 01:22 PM   #61
Mousehunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: AK, SD43, Hulk
Had way to many friends mugged over far less. One did take a pipe to the head over his wallet and sub. Brother of a college roommate is permantly blind due to a pipe to the head over his bicycle
Old 16 October 2018, 01:32 PM   #62
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I’m sorry to hear about your friend. I hope he heals well and quickly.

I’ve never felt unsafe in MTL and I’ve stumbled around there drunk many times. Heck I was there a few months back and know that location well. It’s smack in the middle of old port!

I have to say I’m not sure I’d be comfortable wearing a PM Rolex out at a late night venue. It’s just not worth it sadly.
Old 16 October 2018, 01:39 PM   #63
Tzachi
2024 Pledge Member

Sad , best wishes for speedy recovery
Old 16 October 2018, 01:43 PM   #64
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
Was helping all morning with my best friend who is on a business trip in Montreal. He was at a meeting last night and ended it at a bar and left by himself. Soon after he exited he was jumped and beat pretty seriously. He is now in the hospital with broken ribs, jaw, a closed eye and numerous scrapes and bruises. Luckily he left his passport in his hotel and also had an extra phone there that he uses for work. His personal iphone, wallet and gold GMT were all stollen. Sad situation and just a reminder to always be mindful of where you are, who you are with and what you are wearing.
This is precisely why I don't go to bars by myself
or hardly ever anymore.
Liquor store pretty much anywhere if I want a drink
to enjoy in the privacy of my own home...
If I want a drink outside I always make sure I'm not
alone or at least at a cheap place no none knows or
recognizes the goodies I/we wear...

sorry about your friend , hoping he gets well soon...
Old 16 October 2018, 01:44 PM   #65
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Damn sorry to hear, hope your friend a speedy recovery. But as others have said, perhaps the mugging had nothing to do with wearing the watch. Could have been any number of other reasons.
Old 16 October 2018, 01:47 PM   #66
scarabei
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Had similar thing happen to me in San Fran downtown. Good thing I was only wearing a Seiko SPB051 at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 16 October 2018, 01:52 PM   #67
cajerseyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: me find "the one"
We will never know the true motivations of the perps but it is highly likely that they choose specific targets with the best ROM (return on mugging). Someone said that Rolex is like a currency. That is very true. Several commented that when alcohol consumption is involved late night at a bar where you depart alone it increases the likelihood of being mugged. Also true.

My wife wears a 36mm gold day date that I purchased for her on our 10th wedding anniversary. This makes me think she shouldn't wear it out. I don't think I could live with myself, with her being injured or worse due to a watch that I gave to her.

The world is changing or social media allows us all to hear the crimes that have been going on for all of human history. Not sure which one is true but it's not fun to hear. I may have to cancel my order for a WG Oysterflex Daytona. Simply not worth the risk...

Sorry for your friend. I hope he has a full recovery and thank you for sharing.
Old 16 October 2018, 01:55 PM   #68
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDL7 View Post
Gold Rolex...+ bar... late at night...+ booze...well...
This is a terrible thing to say on many levels.

Hope you’re friend has a quick recovery. Sorry to hear about this.
Old 16 October 2018, 01:59 PM   #69
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Stuff happens......I got mugged, and my 5513 stolen many years ago by City Hall in San Francisco, not that late in the evening, luckily I wasn’t beaten, like I said stuff happens, and it happens all over, sad state of affairs, no respect for one of the 10 commandments, don’t steal.
Old 16 October 2018, 02:03 PM   #70
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerbot View Post
No, and obviously no one deserves this happening to them but there are some steps we should probably all take to avoid similar:

1) Don't wear a gold Rolex in an unfamiliar city
2) If you do wear a gold Rolex in an unfamiliar city don't wear it to a bar
3) If you do wear it to a bar don't do it at night
4) If you do do it at night don't leave alone
5) If you do leave alone just hand over the watch and let insurance make you whole, it's not worth the injury
Just hand over your watch?! It sounds like this poor guy was jumped. Don’t think there was much of a negotiation. Bottom line is that regardless of whether your steps could or could not prevent such a crime, the victim has no fault in this and did nothing wrong.

Whether you and the person who made the other comment realize it or not, Coming on here and posting a list of things not to do, implies it was the victims failt. I know you started by saying he didn’t deserve it, so I know it’s not your intention but it still comes across the wrong way IMO. A small part of you must know that since you felt the need to preface your post by stating the obvious.
Old 16 October 2018, 07:49 PM   #71
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
The gold part makes no difference, esp in this world of gold-plated watches. No, if someone knows a Rolex, and most robbers will, they will happily take your SS one which is still worth a ton of money. Don't be fooled into complacency thinking a PM watch makes you more of a target than SS, they both are now targets, and everyone needs to be on their guard.
Old 16 October 2018, 07:52 PM   #72
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcus View Post
We will never know the true motivations of the perps but it is highly likely that they choose specific targets with the best ROM (return on mugging). Someone said that Rolex is like a currency. That is very true. Several commented that when alcohol consumption is involved late night at a bar where you depart alone it increases the likelihood of being mugged. Also true.

My wife wears a 36mm gold day date that I purchased for her on our 10th wedding anniversary. This makes me think she shouldn't wear it out. I don't think I could live with myself, with her being injured or worse due to a watch that I gave to her.

The world is changing or social media allows us all to hear the crimes that have been going on for all of human history. Not sure which one is true but it's not fun to hear. I may have to cancel my order for a WG Oysterflex Daytona. Simply not worth the risk...

Sorry for your friend. I hope he has a full recovery and thank you for sharing.
Why cancel? I mean yours is even in WG so looks just like SS, and if you are worried a robber can distinguish that then they will rob you of your DJ or Milgauss as they are clearly clued up on Rolexes, so that means no Rolex at all for you.

Don't let the thieves win, be cautious and on alert, but don't cave in to them. Live your best life, not their worst.
Old 16 October 2018, 08:09 PM   #73
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
The gold part makes no difference, esp in this world of gold-plated watches. No, if someone knows a Rolex, and most robbers will, they will happily take your SS one which is still worth a ton of money. Don't be fooled into complacency thinking a PM watch makes you more of a target than SS, they both are now targets, and everyone needs to be on their guard.
Agree to a point but a YG model is definitely more incentivising. It's a sad state of affairs but enter a pub/bar and people will weigh you up. Including the likelihood of your stuff being inexpensive and gold-plated.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Old 16 October 2018, 08:25 PM   #74
cajerseyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: me find "the one"
Mugged and in the hospital in Montreal for a GMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Why cancel? I mean yours is even in WG so looks just like SS, and if you are worried a robber can distinguish that then they will rob you of your DJ or Milgauss as they are clearly clued up on Rolexes, so that means no Rolex at all for you.

Don't let the thieves win, be cautious and on alert, but don't cave in to them. Live your best life, not their worst.

I hear you. There’s more to my story. I was in my AD when it was robbed by 3 masked men. They came in with sledge hammers to break the glass and pepper sprayed a few of the employees. Pretty scary stuff. Didn’t go for anything but the Rolex. This brand attracts thieves, bad people and besides my best life has nothing to do with my watch.....it has to do with my race cars! Ha ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 October 2018, 08:36 PM   #75
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Having spent 30 years as a LEO, cases like this are somewhat common, even in the best of cities or neighborhoods. The part that is disturbing to most is the randomness of some of the events. The basic precautions that have been discuss here are the first step in being safe and not having an event but it can and does occur. The best way to stop it is to remember there are three things that are required for a crime of this nature. Victim, perpetrator and opportunity. Remove anyone of them and you do not have an incident. My experience is that most events are crimes of opportunity. Time of day, location and the perpetrator weighing risks and goin for it. I hope your friend has a complete and total recovery both physically and mentally and the suspects are caught and brought to justice.
Old 16 October 2018, 08:44 PM   #76
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Wow, in Montreal! I am shocked.
Old 16 October 2018, 08:46 PM   #77
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I am very sad to hear this and I hope your friend recovers quickly.
Old 16 October 2018, 09:53 PM   #78
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcus View Post
I hear you. There’s more to my story. I was in my AD when it was robbed by 3 masked men. They came in with sledge hammers to break the glass and pepper sprayed a few of the employees. Pretty scary stuff. Didn’t go for anything but the Rolex. This brand attracts thieves, bad people and besides my best life has nothing to do with my watch.....it has to do with my race cars! Ha ha.

Sure, take some time, but keep the sentiment and I'm sure you will have that Daytona on your wrist when the time is right.
Old 16 October 2018, 10:10 PM   #79
77T

Mugged and in the hospital in Montreal for a GMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Having spent 30 years as a LEO, cases like this are somewhat common, even in the best of cities or neighborhoods. The part that is disturbing to most is the randomness of some of the events. The basic precautions that have been discuss here are the first step in being safe and not having an event but it can and does occur. The best way to stop it is to remember there are three things that are required for a crime of this nature. Victim, perpetrator and opportunity. Remove anyone of them and you do not have an incident. My experience is that most events are crimes of opportunity. Time of day, location and the perpetrator weighing risks and goin for it. I hope your friend has a complete and total recovery both physically and mentally and the suspects are caught and brought to justice.

So true - and we all tend to analyze each occurrence for fitment to our notions shaped by statistics. Like your Mom always said, nothing good happens after midnight on a street corner. She shaped her perception from history. But there is no guarantee anywhere opportunity strikes.

I think we tend to see the news that way - when we hear of a crime in a certain neighborhood, or during hours when we believe bad things happen.

The truth is that stats don’t matter when you are facing a perpetrator.

Your wits, and situational awareness, when a perp is menacing you with a weapon - or even strong-arm threats - will be your best asset to reduce the likelihood of long-lasting physical damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 17 October 2018, 12:19 AM   #80
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
It’s shocking that that happened in Montreal.

Wish your friend a speedy recovery
Old 17 October 2018, 02:18 AM   #81
gabrielnovar
"TRF" Member

Terrible, but I always felt Montreal was very safe.

Just some caution tips. I always Uber to where i am going/leaving. Direct in/out of building. Very rare will I walk around (NYC I feel fine in some areas)

If I am in another city always go direct to where I need to go unless I am with a lot of people.
Old 17 October 2018, 08:51 AM   #82
drgoro
"TRF" Member

Sucks. I leave the gold at home when I go out at nights, but even w SS the bastards know their watches. Hopefully he recovers, make sure he gets his jaw fixed by an oral surgeon over ENT if possible! All the best to him.
Old 17 October 2018, 10:01 AM   #83
nick c
Banned

Wow sorry to hear about this,Usually Montreal is a safe place,Speedy recovery to your friend.
Old 17 October 2018, 11:53 AM   #84
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Bummed for your friend and very sorry to hear about these kinds of unfortunate events. Reminds me I need to get my concealed carry permit ASAP for my new state. Not that it would help me after leaving a bar but you never know when you might be a target...
Old 17 October 2018, 12:02 PM   #85
LittlePud
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
It happened outside a bar called La Voute
Wow, that's not known to be a dangerous area (at all).
Old 17 October 2018, 12:06 PM   #86
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master ll
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Yikes, I am in Montreal quite often and never encountered such brutal violence. Where did this happen?

I used to be in Montreal almost every other week and I have to say that it's a lot different than Toronto as much as it's a nice city I find certain areas you really have to be careful in more so than in Toronto or most other Canadian cities. I mean don't get me wrong crime happens everywhere but I have to say these are just my personal thoughts
Old 17 October 2018, 02:13 PM   #87
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
Bummed for your friend and very sorry to hear about these kinds of unfortunate events. Reminds me I need to get my concealed carry permit ASAP for my new state. Not that it would help me after leaving a bar but you never know when you might be a target...
Not sure about your state but in mine you can’t use it in defense of property regardless of the value. I suppose the lines are blurred here with an attack as well though.
Old 17 October 2018, 02:17 PM   #88
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax21 View Post
I used to be in Montreal almost every other week and I have to say that it's a lot different than Toronto as much as it's a nice city I find certain areas you really have to be careful in more so than in Toronto or most other Canadian cities. I mean don't get me wrong crime happens everywhere but I have to say these are just my personal thoughts
I use to feel that way too then I stayed at a VRBO in the east end and I saw a much different part of TO

I still love it most all cities have their safe and not so safe neighborhoods. My city is littered with areas you don’t want to be caught dead walking period.
Old 17 October 2018, 02:51 PM   #89
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Not sure about your state but in mine you can’t use it in defense of property regardless of the value. I suppose the lines are blurred here with an attack as well though.
I think that's the same in most states. But this guy was severely beaten and could have been killed. Are you going to take that chance if you think someone is just after property and won't hurt or kill you? I just read an article in the Seattle Times about two kids who shot another kid in the head for a bag of weed. If my property is on my body and I'm being attacked I will defend my life...property isn't on my mind.

Granted I'll be risking further injury or legal issues but I'm not rolling over, ever.
Closed Thread

Tags
mugging , stolen