The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 16 December 2019, 11:39 AM   #1
axnjackson
"TRF" Member

A year in with the 214270 MKII

The watch is simply part of my arm now. I hardly notice it on there much anymore but when I do, I still take pause and give it good looking over. It's still quite the beauty.
The outer side of the bracelet has some minimal scratching and whatnot while the case has a couple flea bites and hairlines due to normal stuff. My right arm is good at sniffing out door handles and corners of metal tables. Not sure what super power that is and what it's good for but I have it in spades. I don't baby the watch but I do take it off for mountain and road bike rides but that's because I think it looks ridiculous to be wearing a watch in those situations. Other than that, it's on wrist all the time. Heck, I forget to take it off most times at night. I will also mention that swims with me and is present for every day-to-day activity I'm involved in. I'm not a lumberjack or jackhammer operator but I'm not laying on the couch or sleeping behind a desk either.....well, sometimes the former.
Only one person has noticed it so far-a fellow Rolex wearer at work. She noticed from pretty far off too as most watch nuts are prone to do. We both wear our Rolexes while wearing scrubs because frankly, they look good with anything. She wears a 34mm vintage Air-King with a white dial.
It is by far the most comfortable watch I've worn. Even though the bracelet is made of cold, hard steel it somehow feels silky on the wrist. it centers perfectly and the weight is just enough to have a presence. I've thought about trying it on a strap but nah, not worth the effort as it looks and feels great the way it is.
As I mentioned above, the dial is still mesmerizing. I stare at it in traffic or slow times at work. It's legibility and simplicity is what makes it sublime.
It has settled in at about plus 2 to 3 seconds a day which is perfectly fine by me.

Previous review: The watch is simply part of my arm now. I hardly notice it on there much anymore but when I do, I still take pause and give it good looking over. It's still quite the beauty.
The outer side of the bracelet has some minimal scratching and whatnot while the case has a couple flea bites and hairlines due to normal stuff. My right arm is good at sniffing out door handles and corners of metal tables. Not sure what super power that is and what it's good for but I have it in spades. I don't baby the watch but I do take it off for mountain and road bike rides but that's because I think it looks ridiculous to be wearing a watch in those situations. Other than that, it's on wrist all the time.
It is by far the most comfortable watch I've worn. Even though the bracelet is made of cold, hard steel it somehow feels silky on the wrist. it centers perfectly on the wrist and the weight is just enough to have a presence. I've thought about trying it on a strap but nah, not worth the effort as it looks and feels great the way it is.
As I mentioned above, the dial is still mesmerizing. I stare at it in traffic or slow times at work.
It has settled in at about plus 2 to 3 seconds a day which is perfectly fine by me.

If your on the fence about getting one, get off the fence because it's creasing your butt. Go grab one as you will be happy you did.

Previous review:https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=714037
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0972 2.jpg (210.9 KB, 1795 views)

Last edited by axnjackson; 16 December 2019 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: forgot link
axnjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 04:16 PM   #2
robbyrolex
"TRF" Member

nice review and explorer. enjoy it.
I’ve owned mine for 2.5 years, it’s
a super watch.
robbyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2019, 04:38 PM   #3
djona
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by axnjackson View Post
even though the bracelet is made of cold, hard steel it somehow feels silky on the wrist. It centers perfectly and the weight is just enough to have a presence. I've thought about trying it on a strap but nah, not worth the effort as it looks and feels great the way it is..
100%
djona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2019, 07:12 AM   #4
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Agree on just about everything you said, most comfy (balanced on the wrist) Rolex I've owned. Mine stays on at all times unless I'm sleeping or riding!
TheWatchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2019, 07:15 AM   #5
RHJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mk1
Quote:
Originally Posted by djona View Post
100%
Same here, part of my arm. Only noted when missing
Old 4 January 2020, 05:46 PM   #6
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for sharing the review
EdwardC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 10:40 AM   #7
Doc Savage
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
Excellent review, OP! It is reports like this one that helped convince me to get this watch. I really dig it a lot. And one of the best things to me is that the Explorer I doesn't scream "Rolex" when you wear it. I prefer for my watches to fly under the radar, so the 214270 is perfect.

It doesn't bother me in the least that it might get upgraded with a new movement in the near future (or not). I doubt that movement could be much more accurate than this one, and what good is a long power reserve when you wear it almost every day?

Thanks again for your review. It was nice seeing your one month and one year reviews. The fact that you love it as much or more now than when you got it speaks volumes.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 10:15 AM   #8
John Gartzios
"TRF" Member

Top review
Congratulations!
John Gartzios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 12:17 AM   #9
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Nice review. Enjoy.
Old 16 January 2020, 06:27 PM   #10
gordonite
"TRF" Member

Nice review, I've owned 36mm Explorer 114270 and it's been 1 year and never missed a beat. Explorer is so versatile and actually worth being a one-watch we ever need. Great!
gordonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 01:06 PM   #11
axnjackson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
Excellent review, OP! It is reports like this one that helped convince me to get this watch. I really dig it a lot. And one of the best things to me is that the Explorer I doesn't scream "Rolex" when you wear it. I prefer for my watches to fly under the radar, so the 214270 is perfect.

It doesn't bother me in the least that it might get upgraded with a new movement in the near future (or not). I doubt that movement could be much more accurate than this one, and what good is a long power reserve when you wear it almost every day?

Thanks again for your review. It was nice seeing your one month and one year reviews. The fact that you love it as much or more now than when you got it speaks volumes.
Congrats and welcome to the club. It's not a formal, flashy club. Just a great understated club.

Enjoy!
Old 28 January 2020, 01:08 AM   #12
AustinTech
"TRF" Member

Understated beauty.

Understated beauty is, in my humble opinion, a higher level of beauty.

Add to that it's versatility and comfort, and wow, it's something special.
AustinTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 06:20 PM   #13
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Nice review, timeless piece that is made to live on a wrist.
I'm with you on not wearing my mechanical watch during sports activities, specially these days where for such activities we have a world of fantastic smartwatches to chose from for the task. My Garmin Fenix got me covered during my biking, running, hiking or skiing activities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by axnjackson View Post
The watch is simply part of my arm now. I hardly notice it on there much anymore but when I do, I still take pause and give it good looking over. It's still quite the beauty.
The outer side of the bracelet has some minimal scratching and whatnot while the case has a couple flea bites and hairlines due to normal stuff. My right arm is good at sniffing out door handles and corners of metal tables. Not sure what super power that is and what it's good for but I have it in spades. I don't baby the watch but I do take it off for mountain and road bike rides but that's because I think it looks ridiculous to be wearing a watch in those situations. Other than that, it's on wrist all the time. Heck, I forget to take it off most times at night. I will also mention that swims with me and is present for every day-to-day activity I'm involved in. I'm not a lumberjack or jackhammer operator but I'm not laying on the couch or sleeping behind a desk either.....well, sometimes the former.
Only one person has noticed it so far-a fellow Rolex wearer at work. She noticed from pretty far off too as most watch nuts are prone to do. We both wear our Rolexes while wearing scrubs because frankly, they look good with anything. She wears a 34mm vintage Air-King with a white dial.
It is by far the most comfortable watch I've worn. Even though the bracelet is made of cold, hard steel it somehow feels silky on the wrist. it centers perfectly and the weight is just enough to have a presence. I've thought about trying it on a strap but nah, not worth the effort as it looks and feels great the way it is.
As I mentioned above, the dial is still mesmerizing. I stare at it in traffic or slow times at work. It's legibility and simplicity is what makes it sublime.

Previous review: The watch is simply part of my arm now. I hardly notice it on there much anymore but when I do, I still take pause and give it good looking over. It's still quite the beauty.
The outer side of the bracelet has some minimal scratching and whatnot while the case has a couple flea bites and hairlines due to normal stuff. My right arm is good at sniffing out door handles and corners of metal tables. Not sure what super power that is and what it's good for but I have it in spades. I don't baby the watch but I do take it off for mountain and road bike rides but that's because I think it looks ridiculous to be wearing a watch in those situations. Other than that, it's on wrist all the time.
It is by far the most comfortable watch I've worn. Even though the bracelet is made of cold, hard steel it somehow feels silky on the wrist. it centers perfectly on the wrist and the weight is just enough to have a presence. I've thought about trying it on a strap but nah, not worth the effort as it looks and feels great the way it is.
As I mentioned above, the dial is still mesmerizing. I stare at it in traffic or slow times at work.

If your on the fence about getting one, get off the fence because it's creasing your butt. Go grab one as you will be happy you did.

Previous review:https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=714037
Old 1 February 2020, 03:11 AM   #14
Zackary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Speedmaster
Thanks for the review, makes me want one even more!

I think it's still underrated and one of the best no-date Rolex (114060 is tied for me) models.
Zackary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 04:57 AM   #15
HORNBLOWER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1 OR 2
Very cool clean watch. Wears really comfortably.
HORNBLOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2020, 07:38 AM   #16
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
My first Rolex, 214270 Mk2. I think it is simple, elegant, beautiful and fits the wrist extremely comfortably. A lifetime keeper already promised to my 1 yr old grandson.
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2020, 01:15 AM   #17
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Wearing mine today. It’s a beautiful watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 12:47 AM   #18
zorinindustries
"TRF" Member

Watch: It varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post

Agree 100%!

I love this watch! It’s become my daily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
zorinindustries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 08:07 PM   #19
SFmedic13
"TRF" Member

Watch: None Currently
I enjoy my MKI.....Good review.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Explorer 1_5396.jpg (93.3 KB, 1132 views)
SFmedic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 02:30 PM   #20
Sinanamus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Awesome review. I picked up my first Rolex, also a 214270, a couple months ago, and I feel the same way. I am simply thrilled with it. I will probably never wear it off the bracelet too. Thanks for the great review.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sinanamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 07:00 AM   #21
mrpaw
"TRF" Member

Bought this watch a few months ago, trepidatious about the fact that I usually prefer a date window. A buddy, who noticed that the fence was also creasing my butt, said "if you need the date ask a friend"
mrpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 06:04 PM   #22
desk jockey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinanamus View Post
Awesome review. I picked up my first Rolex, also a 214270, a couple months ago, and I feel the same way. I am simply thrilled with it. I will probably never wear it off the bracelet too. Thanks for the great review.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I have worn mine on the Marine National strap and it looks absolutely fantastic and the comfort is superb. After a while, though, I miss just the tactility and general quality of the oyster bracelet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MN_Strap_resized.jpg (246.8 KB, 945 views)
desk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 06:53 AM   #23
Tjp730
"TRF" Member

Was there ever a point in time when any of you felt like it simply wasn't visually stimulating? I guess its simplicity is a double edged sword. On one hand, it flies under the radar, looks clean, and is efficient at what it's meant to do. On the other, however, I can't tell if it will "speak" to me if that makes sense. I am afraid it's not going to make me excited to put it on my wrist!
Tjp730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 08:45 AM   #24
forty
"TRF" Member

As someone whose been eyeing these thanks for sharing your thoughts. Sounds like an amazing watch :)
forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 08:46 AM   #25
forty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desk jockey View Post
I have worn mine on the Marine National strap and it looks absolutely fantastic and the comfort is superb. After a while, though, I miss just the tactility and general quality of the oyster bracelet.
How difficult is it to swap out the bracelet?
forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 01:55 PM   #26
axnjackson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty View Post
How difficult is it to swap out the bracelet?
I have to say I've never considered swapping the bracelet for a strap as the bracelet suits me fine. I'm guessing you'd need curved springbars though. The lug holes are awfully close to the case.
Old 18 August 2020, 11:39 PM   #27
Ricky Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjp730 View Post
Was there ever a point in time when any of you felt like it simply wasn't visually stimulating? I guess its simplicity is a double edged sword. On one hand, it flies under the radar, looks clean, and is efficient at what it's meant to do. On the other, however, I can't tell if it will "speak" to me if that makes sense. I am afraid it's not going to make me excited to put it on my wrist!
I thought this until I bought one and I'll be honest it's a real collection killer.

It's just one of those watches that grows on you more and more. I have a Sub date, GMT Coke and a DJ and I have worn the Sub once in the last year and the others are in my safe or on my sons wrist.

It just does the job and looks fantastic.

♛GMT II Coke 16710♛ ♛DateJust 16030♛ ♛Explorer 214270 mk2♛ Submariner 116610LN♛ 126711CHNR ♛
Ricky Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2020, 03:03 AM   #28
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
If I wasn’t a watch addict the explorer would be my only watch.
Old 19 August 2020, 03:18 AM   #29
RollinMoses
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. Robert View Post
if i wasn’t a watch addict the explorer would be my only watch.
+1
RollinMoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 02:04 AM   #30
AlanH
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by desk jockey View Post
That's a nice strap!
AlanH is offline   Reply With Quote