The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 22 July 2019, 12:01 AM   #1
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
For those that own a Speedmaster and a Rolex Sub /GMT, please chime in

What are your thoughts when comparing the Speedmaster vs. a Rolex Sub /GMT? Do you gravitate more towards one or the other? Do they hold equal status in your collection, or if you HAD to ditch one, which would it be?

If you do answer, please take away the historical context of the moonwatch; I'm more looking at your thoughts on the piece itself, not the history associated with the watch.

I currently have a 16710 and a Hulk, along with a DD40, and I'm looking at possibly adding the Speedmaster, either FOIS or the moonwatch (after all these years of hate!). I just want to make sure that I'm not buying something that will just sit in the case when compared to the Rolexes.
Old 22 July 2019, 01:36 AM   #2
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

I wear my GMT more than my FOIS, but that’s just because it feels more delicate, and lacks the water resistance. Aesthetically, I prefer the FOIS, but I prefer the way the GMT sits with the oyster bracelet on my wrist. I also prefer that the GMT has a date. I love the feel of winding the Speedy to bring it to life...

Both amazing watches; there is space in every collection for both.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 01:46 AM   #3
1210tech
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
What are your thoughts when comparing the Speedmaster vs. a Rolex Sub /GMT?
Do you gravitate more towards one or the other?
Do they hold equal status in your collection, or if you HAD to ditch one, which would it be?

If you do answer, please take away the historical context of the moonwatch; I'm more looking at your thoughts on the piece itself, not the history associated with the watch.
In response to the questions above I tend to wear my GMTII more than my Speedy. I think the main reasons for this are date function & automatic winding so if it came to the crunch the Speedy would prob be first to go. BUT I much prefer wearing the Speedy now it’s on one of Erikas MN straps as it feels much more comfortable & fits better than the crocodile leather it came with.
Having said that I don’t think I could part with my Speedy because it completes my Land, Air, Sea, SPACE collection and I love the history associated with the piece, in fact with the Apollo 11 anniversary this week I haven’t taken the Speedy off, I’m still wearing it now...
Ω Omega Speedy Moonwatch
1210tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 04:32 AM   #4
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I love wearing my Speedy as much as the 16710 & 16610 LV. Can’t decide which I prefer out if the 3 but I like the diversity out of wearing them thru the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 July 2019, 04:38 AM   #5
FTX I
"TRF" Member

The Speedy is thicker and larger, so for someone with small wrists the difference is very noticeable.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 04:52 AM   #6
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Every collection should have a moonwatch..........I have a few and wear them in rotation with a Rolex occasionally added to the mix. Varying between brands and models is all part of the fun I think
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 05:30 AM   #7
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
The Speedy is thicker and larger, so for someone with small wrists the difference is very noticeable.
I have a Breitling Chrono Superocean that I'm selling because of its thickness. The Hulk fits fine on my wrist, but that's about the biggest I'd want to go. Used to wear Panerai as well, but got over that quickly...
Old 22 July 2019, 05:32 AM   #8
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedssd View Post
Every collection should have a moonwatch..........I have a few and wear them in rotation with a Rolex occasionally added to the mix. Varying between brands and models is all part of the fun I think
I think so too; thus the JLC, Grand Seiko and others! It's just taking me a very long time to come around to both the Omega brand (too many LE's, like Panerai) and the watch itself. Wasn't a huge fan of it but slowly, it's looking kind of enticing...especially at the price.
Old 22 July 2019, 06:36 AM   #9
ttomczak
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Beach
I have a moonphase (new style) and the ST 1 and 2. And a blro (2019). I wear whatever I feel like that day, I think I would wear my moonphase more if it had a bracelet, since I don’t want to get the leather wet...

But my daily is my Kermit.

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 06:59 AM   #10
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I’ve had a Coke 16710 for 22 years, my first nice watch. I was choosing between it and a Moonwatch and at the time felt that the GMT sat better and was more prestigious. It’s durable and I love the GMT hand and bezel. I switched the bezel to black for a time. It gets worn the least of my watches.

I finally got a Moonwatch 5y ago. I like the dial a lot. I like that it is not blingy. I like that it’s not valuable. I switched to a brown leather strap. So it’s not like every other. Since then, I’ve bought a SpeedyTuesday, a vintage tropical Speedy, and am waiting for the 50th Apollo.
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 07:05 AM   #11
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

I generally don't have a daily watch and I wear everything pretty regularly (watches in Sig).

What I will say is your average Rolex is of higher quality than your average Speedy (that much is undeniable). But the Speedy is no slouch in regards to finishing and reliability. Importantly, I think you'll find the Speedy to be the most adaptable watch you can have. Want it on a bracelet, throw one on it looks great. Want it to wear dressy, black gator... looks great. Vintage? Brown suede or calf, also looks great. The beauty of the Speedy, in my eyes, is the timeless design that lends itself to be worn on literally any strap or bracelet, for any situation. If you get tired of the look, you can easily change it up. It's a chameleon, in the best possible way.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 07:06 AM   #12
F83
"TRF" Member

I have a Speedy Professional ”Moonwatch” , a Pepsi GMT and a Hulk (Submariner). I love my Speedy Professional but it’s not on the same level as my two Rolexes. Hard to force rank the Rolexes but I’d probably go

1) GMT Master II
2) Submariner
3) Explorer II (Don’t have one but I’d rank it there)
4) Speedy Professional
5) Explorer I
F83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 07:52 AM   #13
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F83 View Post
I have a Speedy Professional ”Moonwatch” , a Pepsi GMT and a Hulk (Submariner). I love my Speedy Professional but it’s not on the same level as my two Rolexes. Hard to force rank the Rolexes but I’d probably go

1) GMT Master II
2) Submariner
3) Explorer II (Don’t have one but I’d rank it there)
4) Speedy Professional
5) Explorer I
We would have the same collection if I do pickup the moonwatch, though it looks like you have the 6-digit GMT based on your profile pic, while I have the 5.

You're the 2nd person to say that it's not on the same level as Rolex. Can you elaborate?
Old 22 July 2019, 08:05 AM   #14
Flying Clog
"TRF" Member

I love all my watches for different reasons and do have both right a Rolex GMT and Speedy Pro right now.

To answer your question thinking of functionality only and not the history of both watches, as I travel a lot for work across continents, the GMT has far more use to me than a chronograph. I don’t think I have ever used my chrono but use the GMT function at least once a month.

So if I had to loose one of them - it would unfortunately be the Speedy Pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flying Clog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 08:06 AM   #15
F83
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You're the 2nd person to say that it's not on the same level as Rolex. Can you elaborate?
Well let’s see... Keep in mind I love my Speedy (and have money down on a 50th Anniversary two tone Speedy) but...

1). Rolex fit and finish is impeccable. Now in fairness, Omega is also really good - I have a Planet Ocean as well and the fit and finish is excellent. But to my eye the Rolexes are a cut above the PO - and the PO is a cut above the Speedy

2). Rolexes are indestructible. Speedys are not. Play tennis or golf, go through airport security 10 times and then swim in the ocean all day. The GMT Master II and the Sub are still keeping perfect time. My Speedy wouldn’t be.

3). Rolex has much more badge value. You can decide if you like that or not but they do. It’s not even close.

4). Rolex (especially Steel) has dramatically better resale. The damn things are almost like putting money in the bank as long as you keep care of them. Not so with Speedys.

5). My Rolexes keep better time. Speedy isn’t bad but the Rolexes are ridiculous. Only my Grand Seiko Snowflake (Spring Drive) beats them on accuracy.

It sounds like I’m hating on the Speedy - I’m not. I wear mine and love it mostly because of the iconic nature of the dial, and the fact that it works in so many different situations.

But I do consider my Rolexes to be a cut above - just as I consider my AP Royal Oak 15400 to be a cut above the Rolexes. There’s a tiering to these things that (to me) is pretty obvious when you have them side by side.
F83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 08:54 AM   #16
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

I've got a serviced by Omega Apollo 20th anniversary Speedy that's my favorite watch. Keeps better time than my old Sub. Wouldn't part with either though.....
AlTinkster92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 10:31 AM   #17
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
I own both and they get pretty equal wrist time. I try and rotate often between those two and others. If you do pick up a Speedy, I recommend the original Moon watch - 1861, Hesalite. Omega is going to go to all co-axil movements soon for all moonwatches and the 1861 will be no more, so now is the time to just buy the original and enjoy it. It'll be a nice addition to your collection and won't break the bank.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 11:23 AM   #18
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Have owned my Sub 16610 since Jan 1995 (bought it new) and had owned several Speedmasters on the last couple of years, currently own an Apollo 11 numbered edition 3592.50 (both below)

They are different watches and if would have to choose just one would be the sub. I think adding one to your collection is a good idea, good thing is no crazy over msrp prices or waiting lists unless you want a Snoopy (used) or a 50th anniversary Speedy (just released).

Most of them don’t hold MSRP value, just buy a nice pre-loved piece!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 10:14 PM   #19
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Have owned my Sub 16610 since Jan 1995 (bought it new) and had owned several Speedmasters on the last couple of years, currently own an Apollo 11 numbered edition 3592.50 (both below)

They are different watches and if would have to choose just one would be the sub. I think adding one to your collection is a good idea, good thing is no crazy over msrp prices or waiting lists unless you want a Snoopy (used) or a 50th anniversary Speedy (just released).

Most of them don’t hold MSRP value, just buy a nice pre-loved piece!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That's the goal! I typically don't buy new and I'm all about value retention. Thanks for the pics!
Old 22 July 2019, 10:34 PM   #20
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I have 9 watches in rotation, and my sports watches are the 16710, 116500, and pp5711. I wear my speedmaster most often. I just love it
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 10:44 PM   #21
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I have a 16610 and speedy. I use the date function and need to measure elapsed time for my job, so sub gets most wrist time during the week, but speedy fri-sun when I don’t need the date. I also like the strap options, makes is very versatile and will fit into any collection for that reason. I have a small wrist (6 1/2 inch) and both wear just fine. For what it’s worth, I have a Daytona and my speedy gets far more wrist time as it’s actually legible, less shiny, and does not have the screw down pushers which can be a pain.

There is a comment above about the Rolex being tougher, which is pure BS. Let me remind folks the speedy passed all nasa tests where the other watches failed after the first 2 tests, rolex failed these test miserably. There was a recent article on watchville about a welder they wore his 69 Speedmaster and needed to be serviced and was absolutely punished, I mean punished and worked just fine.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 10:58 PM   #22
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
I have owned at one point a GMT2 and a Speedy. I have another Speedy Pro on the way as we speak, a little over a year since letting the last one go. They are both very different but wearable watches. I too have an elusive Daytona C and still can't help wanting a Speedy in the group...its just that cool.

In reference to a comment Chester1 made about Rolex being tougher. I think this is debatable on many levels. Rolex failed the NASA test over 50 years ago with an early Daytona. I would like to see a modern Daytona go through the same tests an see how it fairs.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 11:05 PM   #23
MORA
"TRF" Member

I sold a 114060 and wear a Speedmaster 3570.50 almost daily. While the build quality of the modern Rolex watches is very good I never warmed to the glossy ceramic bezel and glossy dials. They're finger print magnets and not the most legible. I also tried a 16600 Sea Dweller for a while and while I really like the older 5-digit (or even better 4-digit) models I seemed to enjoy the Tudor Pelagos more than the Sea Dweller. So I opted for the Speedmaster over the Sub & Sea Dweller and added a Pelagos. It's all a matter of preference - all of these watches are so well made.

There's not a more tested watch in the world than the Speedmaster. It doesn't have all of the modern materials and precise machining that go into both modern Rolex & Omega watches - it's a bit of a time capsule. That doesn't mean the watch isn't incredibly well made - mine is going on 20+ years without a service and keeping good time.

I tend not to base my watch choices on build quality alone - that's just a game of leapfrog that will change every year as technology progresses - you'll never be happy if that's your goal. The Speedmaster is a classic and there's just something special about it. I enjoy winding it up and putting it on my wrist far more than I enjoyed the Sub - but the next guy might not feel the same. It's like driving a classic car - there's a certain 'romance' to it that you won't get from driving a new one off the lot.

So for me, the Speedy put my Rolex in the box.
MORA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 11:19 PM   #24
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
I’ve got a couple of speedies and my 16710 on holiday. I love the speedies (esp the Apollo 8), but the Rolex gets the most time on account of its water resistance. During this holiday I’ve come to realise just how good Rolex are as tool watches. The 16710 can do anything I chuck at it.

If I could only every have one watch, the gmt would be it.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 12:58 AM   #25
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
I’ve got a couple of speedies and my 16710 on holiday. I love the speedies (esp the Apollo 8), but the Rolex gets the most time on account of its water resistance. During this holiday I’ve come to realise just how good Rolex are as tool watches. The 16710 can do anything I chuck at it.

If I could only every have one watch, the gmt would be it.
My 16710 isn't going anywhere; it's getting passed down to my son in the very far future! I agree, it's the go-to for me for everything.

The Speedmaster would hit the "daily" box though.
Old 23 July 2019, 01:00 AM   #26
kevlar
"TRF" Member

I have both, for me the speedy was my daily watch it was so easy to live with, I bought it first and fell in love with it big time.

I then bought the sub and on value alone I only use this on special occasions to me they are different beasts and like them both for different reasons, the speedy has got some comments wearing it at work, but no one really knows what it is.

Feel very lucky to have both, since buying the value of the Tin Tin speedy has gone up a fair bit so i'm retiring off my speedy I do worry about the value now...time to buy a Black Bay 58 for my new daily...wonder if i can get that past the wife...
kevlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 10:10 PM   #27
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
So many times we talk about watches for what they are not, not what they are. The Speemaster, in its many forms, is a fun, classic watch that can be purchased pre-owned for about a third of what some of the SS Sport Rolexes can and about an 8th of a new SS Daytona-C. You can wear it on a bracelet, NATO, leather, just take your pick on the day of the week. Buy it with a plastic crystal or sapphire, automatic movement or hand wound. Exhibition case back or solid. You get the point. I have no issue worshiping at the feet of the Rolex gods and am a huge fan of the brand and it is where I aspired to be all those years ago. But it is more complicated than that and it really comes down to what can co-exist in a collect and get some wrist time. I would say go get a Speedy, buy it pre-owned or with a significant discount and give it a good wear. I think you will find it complements your other watches and for the money is a lot of fun.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 01:25 AM   #28
Takonwong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What are your thoughts when comparing the Speedmaster vs. a Rolex Sub /GMT? Do you gravitate more towards one or the other? Do they hold equal status in your collection, or if you HAD to ditch one, which would it be?

I currently have a 16710 and a Hulk, along with a DD40, and I'm looking at possibly adding the Speedmaster, either FOIS or the moonwatch (after all these years of hate!). I just want to make sure that I'm not buying something that will just sit in the case when compared to the Rolexes.
I was in the same situation as you, didn't hate but couldn't understand the moonwatch. Having bought a different manual wind watch I came round to the idea of manual wind and added a FOIS a couple of weeks ago. It's very versatile for day to day and relatively low key compared to the Subs I own I have found myself wearing it more often than not. Don't think I would ditch either of them though, different occasions, different choices.
Takonwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 01:47 AM   #29
erne75
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB
The Moonwatch, specifically the hesalite one, combines the right amount of coolness, horological significance and bargain pricing that it should be a staple in any watch aficionado's collection. Along with the Zenith's El Primeros, they are both great bargains currently available in the gray market. I paid $3399 for mine last year, brand new with box, papers, full set.
Besides, when was the last time you got a watch in honor of the biggest hoax perpetrated on humankind...
R135
└┼┼┤ Save the manuals!
erne75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 01:53 AM   #30
jer276
Banned

I love both my Speedy and my Rolex but the Rolex has more of my time than the speedy.
jer276 is offline   Reply With Quote