The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 29 August 2009, 11:02 PM   #181
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
I would like to say thank you to everyone that has followed this thread and helped with their advice. Its been a long road but I am completely happy with the end result. I hope all of you weren't disappointed by the photos. I stopped the hands to make sure they didn't cover any of the text on the dial. You were all so patient (cough). There is one question about the watch that I am surprised nobody has asked. Its not shown on any photos because its hard to capture the text but it has an engraving with his signature on the back that has worn over the years. It was engraved with one of those engraving pens by the original owner. The engraving wasn't like a "Comex" engraving as those are machined and deep. If Rolex service center had polished the back on mine it would probably have been taken off completely. I think they did polish it lightly even though it was not indicated on the service papers. If you look carefully you can see the text.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 075.jpg (205.4 KB, 982 views)
DadsWatch72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2009, 11:08 PM   #182
DadsWatch72
Banned

Close up with bezel included.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0004.jpg (81.0 KB, 961 views)
Old 29 August 2009, 11:22 PM   #183
DadsWatch72
Banned

Extreme closeup of text.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0004.jpg (32.6 KB, 553 views)
Old 29 August 2009, 11:28 PM   #184
DadsWatch72
Banned

Helium Valve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 114.jpg (176.6 KB, 559 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 116.jpg (193.3 KB, 559 views)
Old 30 August 2009, 12:33 AM   #185
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Looks great! What a beauty, enjoy it!
Scott

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2009, 12:39 AM   #186
mike
"TRF" Member

Stunning.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2009, 08:59 AM   #187
Paulie
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII and OP!
Awesome!
Old 30 August 2009, 09:19 AM   #188
Lowflight
Banned

Looks Great.

If it were mine, I would sell it and buy a regular white 1665 and a car...but that is just me. I never understood the double or triple in price for red letters on an otherwise identical watch.
Lowflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2009, 09:32 AM   #189
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflight View Post
Looks Great.

If it were mine, I would sell it and buy a regular white 1665 and a car...but that is just me. I never understood the double or triple in price for red letters on an otherwise identical watch.
Harold,
I sold my DRSD box papers whole package for 45k in 2006 and never looked back. I bought it for $1500 in 1994 and that was allot than.I loved the watch but I figured I could by 10-20 nice watches and thats what I did.I agree on your advise but to each his own.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2009, 02:21 PM   #190
T5AUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the time go by
Great story DW, what a long winded saga it has been, very entertaining, almost as good as a Monty Python skit. I was sure you were gona say at the end of it all "sorry guys, there's no watch, just having a bit of fun with you all ( I guess you could still say that now )
But boy, it was worth the high drama and suspense cause that is one hell of a watch you have there, a classic beauty, good luck to you
Old 30 August 2009, 02:30 PM   #191
Beaumont Miller II
"TRF" Member

I will chime in because I didn't see your question answered earlier. It is a Mk III dial... and it looks perfect. I have a Mk IV dial DRSD. The easy way to tell is the size of the print and the way the L sits under the coronet. I am sure by now you looked at the Doubleredseadweller.com website. Your watch is beautiful. As to value, what you have to remember is, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay. The ones you see that are scratched up are only a polish away from looking shiny and new. Its only by looking at the size/width of the lugs and crown guards that you can tell the condition of the case. Values for these watches have dropped considerably this last year. I hope you will not have the urge to sell it until the market improves as it is an heirloom. Congratulations you have what many people consider a grail watch and would rightfully be the centerpiece of a Rolex collection.
Beaumont Miller II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2009, 07:36 PM   #192
The GMT Kid

Watch: what you say!
That watch looks incredible!

It looks brand new. I don't know what to say. Given the value, I hope you have the courage to fully enjoy it. As much as it deserves to be in a museum where the whole world can enjoy it, it should be on your arm.

You deserve it. Congratulations.
The GMT Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2009, 09:32 PM   #193
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5AUS View Post
Great story DW, what a long winded saga it has been, very entertaining, almost as good as a Monty Python skit. I was sure you were gona say at the end of it all "sorry guys, there's no watch, just having a bit of fun with you all ( I guess you could still say that now )
But boy, it was worth the high drama and suspense cause that is one hell of a watch you have there, a classic beauty, good luck to you
I think I would have been hunted down and shot. But that would have been the ultimate joke. As of now, the watch is unsized and unworn. It will probably stay in its box since I don't plan on wearing it any longer. I will buy a Sub for an everyday watch. Here is one more picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 026.jpg (66.9 KB, 481 views)
Old 30 August 2009, 10:16 PM   #194
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsWatch72 View Post
I think I would have been hunted down and shot. But that would have been the ultimate joke. As of now, the watch is unsized and unworn. It will probably stay in its box since I don't plan on wearing it any longer. I will buy a Sub for an everyday watch. Here is one more picture.
So what will be it's fate then? I guess you will pass down to a Son or Daughter? If you buy a Sub from an AD, you should at least wear it to go watch shopping in. I couldn't resist wearing it once in a while, but I understand wanting to preserve it.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.

Last edited by Brushpup; 30 August 2009 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: spell
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2009, 10:25 PM   #195
DadsWatch72
Banned

I wonder what my father would say about the watch if he were still alive. Probably....."Give it back". He would probably tell me to wear it or he might say something like "Everything that you own, owns you".
Old 31 August 2009, 02:00 AM   #196
therolexguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Ok. Please screw in the crown. I know you're taking pictures but I'm worried about it! That is A W E S O M E!
BTW, I've been to that AD in Elkhart and that's not typical behavior for them. They're actually very friendly and family owned. But I understand your opinion, I just wanted to give fair balance. CONGRATS!
therolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2009, 02:33 AM   #197
DadsWatch72
Banned

The Elkhart store was put to the test when there wasn't "a buck" to be made. They showed me their true colors that day. They are a "fair weathered friend". Only there when things are going smooth and the sun is shining. I expect more from an AD. But if they are selling and your buying, I'm sure they love ya.
Old 31 August 2009, 10:39 PM   #198
shaggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLUE ARAB DAYTONA
so
are you going to sell and buy more new rolex's?
or even put the cash into something else?
at the begining you thought this watch was not worth much and was a headache to you i just wonder how you feel about it now?
cheers for the beautiful pictures
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2009, 11:36 PM   #199
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumont Miller II View Post
I will chime in because I didn't see your question answered earlier. It is a Mk III dial... and it looks perfect. I have a Mk IV dial DRSD. The easy way to tell is the size of the print and the way the L sits under the coronet. I am sure by now you looked at the Doubleredseadweller.com website. Your watch is beautiful. As to value, what you have to remember is, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay. The ones you see that are scratched up are only a polish away from looking shiny and new. Its only by looking at the size/width of the lugs and crown guards that you can tell the condition of the case. Values for these watches have dropped considerably this last year. I hope you will not have the urge to sell it until the market improves as it is an heirloom. Congratulations you have what many people consider a grail watch and would rightfully be the centerpiece of a Rolex collection.
Thanks for checking into the dial for me. Your the only one that answered the question. I actually asked the question pages ago but nobody responded. Then I asked again recently. The probably couldn't tell from my poor pictures and thats why it wasn't answered the first time I asked. I did go to the website but until I got the watch back and had some close up pictures, I couldn't tell. I went back to the website and compared the dials. I wasn't looking at the L under the coronet, I was looking at the position of the D in Dweller and how its positioned over the first R in Submariner. With the mark 2, the position of the D is pretty far to the right of being over the Sub R. Actually, the D is more over the I in SubmarIner. In the mark 3, the position of the D is not so far to the right but still not directly over the R. With the mark 4, the D is pretty much right over top of the R with the "spine" of the letters aligning. And the mark 5, the D is now to the left over the R. That only leaves the very obvious dials. Mark 6 is Sea Dweller only and mark 7 is just so unique it needs no mention. There are also some unique letters on my dial. The crown has something unique and common with other mark 3's. I'm not talking about the bottom of the crown and if its flat or not. Look at the top of the crown. Can you spot it? If you look really close at the mark 3 on the DRSD website and toggle back to my close up picture of my dial you might spot it.
Old 1 September 2009, 12:12 AM   #200
DadsWatch72
Banned

Ok, I will just post it. The crown has a little blank spot on the second spike from the left. Double Red website has a close up picture of the text but not the crown. If you look closely though, you can see a little blank spot on their Mark 3 dial also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 025.jpg (2.4 KB, 563 views)
Old 1 September 2009, 12:51 AM   #201
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
Ok, I will just post it. The crown has a little blank spot on the second spike from the left. Double Red website has a close up picture of the text but not the crown. If you look closely though, you can see a little blank spot on their Mark 3 dial also.
Here is a picture of my Mark 3 DRSD ..... hard to tell in the pic if there is that blank spot on the second spike. Maybe your eyes are better than mine. I will take a closer look when I get home from work.

onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2009, 01:25 AM   #202
DadsWatch72
Banned

I don't see it. Maybe its the angle or maybe its not there. Humm I see some difference of the crown of them all. Those letters and figures are small small small. It looks like the text didn't become close to perfect and uniform until the Mark 7's.
Old 1 September 2009, 02:13 AM   #203
DadsWatch72
Banned

I have a very good question. I have the watch in the box that I received from the service center. Do you think that leaving the watch on the round foam thing inside of the band could cause it to strech the band over time?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 057.jpg (244.4 KB, 588 views)
Old 1 September 2009, 02:53 AM   #204
Davvan
"TRF" Member

Watch: out..make way!!
Which is harder.... plastic foam or Rolex Stainless steel........I´d say no damage what so ever....not even after a zillion years!!!!

Now enjoy that beautiful watch of yours, it can take almost everthing you throw at it........stop beeing a wuz

Cheers

David
Old 1 September 2009, 03:11 AM   #205
achova
"TRF" Member

Watch: it vary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyo View Post
Here is a picture of my Mark 3 DRSD ..... hard to tell in the pic if there is that blank spot on the second spike. Maybe your eyes are better than mine. I will take a closer look when I get home from work.

Here is a close-up of the DRSD I'm considering. I consider it a Mark III dial and it also does not have the thin spoke noted by DW and the DRSD site.

Old 1 September 2009, 03:43 AM   #206
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davvan View Post
Which is harder.... plastic foam or Rolex Stainless steel........I´d say no damage what so ever....not even after a zillion years!!!!

Now enjoy that beautiful watch of yours, it can take almost everthing you throw at it........stop beeing a wuz

Cheers

David
How do they get stretched? I don't understand. I thought it was tension over time. Maybe its actual wear on the metal.
Old 1 September 2009, 03:52 AM   #207
DadsWatch72
Banned

I would like to see that watch without the hands in the way. Seems to me that if someone had a Double Red (like me for example) they would want to show off the lettering and not cover it up with the hands in their picture. The number 2 in white 2000 looks fishy to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _D2H2621.JPG (82.3 KB, 573 views)
File Type: jpg 0004.jpg (32.6 KB, 572 views)
Old 1 September 2009, 05:48 AM   #208
Davvan
"TRF" Member

Watch: out..make way!!
Quote:
How do they get stretched? I don't understand. I thought it was tension over time. Maybe its actual wear on the metal.

I´d say a combination...but not from a non moving foam pillow. Wear on metal is the quite common on older bracelet types. Hers´s a pic of my 93150 bracelet from 1991. You can clearly see that metal against metal will eventually take small chunks of the bracelet links...look at the corners.

Old 1 September 2009, 05:52 AM   #209
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
I have a bracelet on my 1983 Rolex GMT 16750 that has very minimal stretch and I wore it every day.I think it has to do with how loose somebody wears it more than tension.I bought a 1999 Submariner off of this really heavy set man that wore it very loose and it was all stretched out.In less than 9 years.Whipped would be a better word.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2009, 06:57 AM   #210
DadsWatch72
Banned

I wonder if some oil would help with the wear? Perhaps some high speed bearing oil. Bones Speed Cream maybe, or do they use some sort of lubricant when they install the bracelet from the factory/service center?

Bones Speed Cream™ is a high temperature, low viscosity synthetic skate lubricant specially formulated by Bones to reduce friction, and provide a durable micro film of lubricant to protect against corrosion. We have found this lubricant to be superior to Teflon® based lubricants in skate environments. Speed Cream™ makes your bearings faster and is very long lasting.