The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 May 2018, 07:45 AM   #1
Marcel10
"TRF" Member

Watch: Waiting list..
Major Pen help needed

Hi all,

I was thinking about getting my brother a really nice pen. He is going to be my best man at my wedding this summer and I think this is a pretty good gift as he’s just finishing up school to become an architect.

He does a lot of writing and signing of documents.

I was thinking of spending $500 as I have other gifts planned.

I see a ton of you guys use Montblanc and love them. What pen do you guys recommend ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marcel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 10:10 AM   #2
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Does he like fountain pens or roller balls or ball points?
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 11:56 AM   #3
Marcel10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
Does he like fountain pens or roller balls or ball points?

Honestly I have no clue. I just went to the store and I tried model number 698096 $450 and 678910 was $675. The first being ball point and second being a fountain. I much preferred the fountain pen. It is a little over the original budget.

Would you recommend one over the other? They both feel great. I don’t know anything about pens but just trying these made me see what a quality pen was.

Old 6 May 2018, 01:13 PM   #4
floraneg
"TRF" Member

I have around 200 pens in my collection.....mostly Montblanc. I prefer the rollerball.
floraneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 09:16 PM   #5
Marcel10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floraneg View Post
I have around 200 pens in my collection.....mostly Montblanc. I prefer the rollerball.

What’s your favourite model number? This is a whole new world to me. There’s so many options it’s crazy

Old 6 May 2018, 09:32 PM   #6
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel10 View Post
Honestly I have no clue. I just went to the store and I tried model number 698096 $450 and 678910 was $675. The first being ball point and second being a fountain. I much preferred the fountain pen. It is a little over the original budget.

Would you recommend one over the other? They both feel great. I don’t know anything about pens but just trying these made me see what a quality pen was.

I use 99.99999999999% fountain pens so any info from me should include that bias. I will use a roller ball if someone hands one to me but shall always return it as soon as possible.

In fountain pens I place Montblanc in the nice category but not near the top in most cases. It is a well advertised and marketed mid-range pen.

In your budget I would suggest you look at some Japanese pens, Sailor 1911, Pilot 743, Platinum President or a mid size Eboya. If you check eBay and Amazon you can often find the Sailor King of Pen Profit right around your price point and it is an amazing pen.

Sailor King of Pen Profit(top); 1911 larger; 1911 standard

Montblanc 147 (same size as 146) and Platinum President

From Top: Pilot 743, 742, 74; Sailor 1911 L; Platinum #3776; Sailor 1911S

Eboya Houju in Kunpuu
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 09:50 PM   #7
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
There are a lot of great pens on the market and the price range is all over the place. I would go with the Classic Mont Blanc Rollerball. Best writing pen available for the money and cache, in my opinion. I have given several over the years to friends and colleges. I would also buy him a box of refills, 4-6, as many first time owners run out of ink and when they go get a refill the price sets them back. This way he will get hooked on it and be willing to pay later.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 12:17 AM   #8
2024 Pledge Member

Find out what he's interested in regarding designs. An architect might want stainless or silver rather than gold, or a more 'Bauhaus' style of pen design rather than your typical MB or Parker style.

I'd personally recommend finding a Rotring 600 fountain pen with knurled section. It's unique and was discontinued over 10 years ago. He's far less likely to run into someone else with one. An 'F' nib would be a good starting point if he's new to fountains. 'M' is a fairly safe bet as well. You can also find Rotring 600s in 14K gold 'M' nibs relatively easily and they're still in the sub $500 range if you look hard enough. Stainless nib versions range from about $250 on up depending on condition and would be a very good way to go. Avoid any "Newton" models as these aren't true 600s.

Good luck!

037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 04:36 AM   #9
Burlington
"TRF" Member

I can certainly recommend this:

https://store.carandache.com/uk/en/7...-ligne-rh.html

He will NOT be disappointed ! Probably much better made and certainly less ubiquitous than MB.

If you go Rollerball, good tip above about gifting a good few refills with the pen.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 04:37 AM   #10
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Forgot to mention, you can get fibre tip refills too which may be useful for technical drawing in his line of work.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 05:10 AM   #11
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Get this:

http://www.montblanc.com/en-us/colle...Fineliner.html

1) We have no idea if he likes pens in any way.

2) Fountain pens are a labor of love and a big PITA. If Question #1 is no, then 100% pass on foutain pens.

3) Get a Montblanc. It is the Rolex of pens. People know the brand and think it's the best so get that because otherwise you will spend equal money and there will be less respect for it because of ignorance.

4) The Rollerball and fineliner is great. Precise writer and fuss free.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 05:48 AM   #12
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
I have the Legrand rollerball in all 3 colors and like it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 05:53 AM   #13
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 06:10 AM   #14
floraneg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What’s your favourite model number? This is a whole new world to me. There’s so many options it’s crazy

I've always liked the Meisterstück Classique Rollerball. I use that model every day. I also have several of Meisterstück LeGrand Rollerball. If was looking at Montblanc as a gift for someone, I would go with the Meisterstück Classique.
floraneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 10:57 AM   #15
Marcel10
"TRF" Member

guys thanks for all the advice I'm going to go with the Rotring 600 fountain pen, I like the look and I feel he will too. It's something different and like 037 said you won't see this one out in the wild.

thanks again everyone!
Old 8 May 2018, 01:53 PM   #16
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Within your budget you can get him a flagship Montblanc.

A 149 fountain pen. Ebay is your source and give us a shout if you have questions.
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 08:20 PM   #17
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Find out what he's interested in regarding designs. An architect might want stainless or silver rather than gold, or a more 'Bauhaus' style of pen design rather than your typical MB or Parker style.

I'd personally recommend finding a Rotring 600 fountain pen with knurled section. It's unique and was discontinued over 10 years ago. He's far less likely to run into someone else with one. An 'F' nib would be a good starting point if he's new to fountains. 'M' is a fairly safe bet as well. You can also find Rotring 600s in 14K gold 'M' nibs relatively easily and they're still in the sub $500 range if you look hard enough. Stainless nib versions range from about $250 on up depending on condition and would be a very good way to go. Avoid any "Newton" models as these aren't true 600s.

Good luck!

I have a Rotring 600 mechanical pencil that I love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
I can certainly recommend this:

https://store.carandache.com/uk/en/7...-ligne-rh.html

He will NOT be disappointed ! Probably much better made and certainly less ubiquitous than MB.

If you go Rollerball, good tip above about gifting a good few refills with the pen.
I had a Caran d'Ache Ecridor that I thought was garbage and sent back the next day. Maybe it's just that line, but not a fan after that experience.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 01:10 AM   #18
Marcel10
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys I’m in the process trying to find a mint pen with the box should be a fun hunt.

On another note I lied and told him I just bought a Montblanc, just to see his response and found out he has one fountain pen he uses daily. I can’t recall the brand but it was a 250$ Japanese pen.

So I’m sure he will be surprised/excited when I get him one.

I really appreciate everyone for the help, thanks guys!

Old 10 May 2018, 07:13 AM   #19
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I have a Rotring 600 mechanical pencil that I love
Excellent. I have two vintage and two recent production 600 pencils in black and silver. Each have different leads (plus one with light blue) for various jobs. Can't beat 'em.
Old 10 May 2018, 07:13 AM   #20
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks guys I’m in the process trying to find a mint pen with the box should be a fun hunt.
If you need any help during your hunt, PM me and I'll be glad to lend a hand. I have a small arsenal of Rotring 600 fountains and know them rather well.

Quote:
On another note I lied and told him I just bought a Montblanc, just to see his response and found out he has one fountain pen he uses daily. I can’t recall the brand but it was a 250$ Japanese pen.
Pilot or Platinum would be my guess. If you can find out what nib size he prefers in a Japanese pen, subtract one size to match it in a German nib. As in, a Fine Japanese nib is nearly identical to an Extra Fine German nib.

Speaking of Japanese pens, if you still have some budget left then a Pilot Vanishing Point is a great pen as well. It's a click pen, which is unique to this design, and has a rhodium-plated gold nib for smooth writing. They run about $148 through most dealers. It's another pen you won't see often in the wild but very fun to use and many FP enthusiasts own at least one. Jet Pens carries every color and ships free. https://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Vanish...andard/ct/1225 I'd personally skip the Matte Black color as it's a soft-touch paint and will brass easily with heavy use.

Another "architectural" style fountain pen would be a Lamy 2000. They're a bit on the thicker side but if you get a good nib or have it tuned, they write rather smooth. Last time I looked they were in the $160 range. They're also available in pencil and rollerball.
Old 10 May 2018, 08:55 AM   #21
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post

Another "architectural" style fountain pen would be a Lamy 2000. They're a bit on the thicker side but if you get a good nib or have it tuned, they write rather smooth. Last time I looked they were in the $160 range. They're also available in pencil and rollerball.
Speaking of Lamy, I have a blacked out Lamy Safari that I think is incredible for the price. Practically the best 'budget' pen I own.

This one:

https://www.jetpens.com/Lamy-Safari-...um-Nib/pd/7011
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2018, 12:47 PM   #22
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Speaking of Lamy, I have a blacked out Lamy Safari that I think is incredible for the price. Practically the best 'budget' pen I own.

This one:

https://www.jetpens.com/Lamy-Safari-...um-Nib/pd/7011
Ha! That was my first Safari but in an EF nib. The color is actually a dark, dark brown to the point of looking charcoal. It's probably made from recycling every other pen color to reduce waste.

Lamy finally released one in true matte black. https://www.gouletpens.com/lamy-all-...-edition/c/744

I just counted and have seven Safaris with two more on the way. Darned things are addictive. The price makes it too easy.

My other favorite budget fountains are Parker 25s made in England. I have five in various vintages and a couple with rare nibs. At the time they were under $25. Lamy Z27 converters fit them perfectly.
Old 18 May 2018, 07:55 AM   #23
murtuzah
"TRF" Member

What do you guys mean when you say the pens need work?
murtuzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 03:48 AM   #24
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murtuzah View Post
What do you guys mean when you say the pens need work?
Late seeing your post here but this typically means the nib needs work due to writing scratchy or not flowing properly. Not all pens work well with all inks so the pen could need the nib tuned for more or less flow to compensate for a highly pigmented ink or wet ink.

Most just say 'the pen needs work' as a shortcut.