The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 30 January 2014, 01:54 PM   #1
strider-g3
"TRF" Member

Best way to ship and pay for watch from USA to Canada

Looking to buy a watch from a seller in California. He checks out on the forums who's who section and I'm wondering what the best way to do the transaction is for people in Canada that want to buy a watch across the border and avoid the taxes.. I mean i doubt they can tax me if its a private sale? and the watch is used.. i cant possibly get taxed, or can i? when it comes to taxing... The ontario government will tax the world tax for being used too many times -_- or maybe it just feels this way with the 13% tax we have to pay on EVERYTHING.. from gasoline to buying A USED CAR PRIVATELY. anyways i know border services differ from Ontario's tax laws but they still apply 13% im sure on retail goods. would this apply?

thanks in advance.
strider-g3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2014, 02:09 PM   #2
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
If the seller agrees to not declare the contents and the true value to customs then you wont pay any tax.
You take the risk then if the package is lost or stolen then you are out the money, because you cannot insure it.
The only way you can insure the package without declaring the value on the package is if its insured with parcelpro

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
AbsolutelyROLEX! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2014, 02:22 PM   #3
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Yes tax will apply
Old 31 January 2014, 01:51 AM   #4
roach7
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by anderl712000 View Post
If the seller agrees to not declare the contents and the true value to customs then you wont pay any tax.
You take the risk then if the package is lost or stolen then you are out the money, because you cannot insure it.
The only way you can insure the package without declaring the value on the package is if its insured with parcelpro
Please explain how that works with ParcelPro
roach7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2014, 02:19 AM   #5
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

I have a parcelpro account, when I ship from Canada to US I ship without declaring the contents or value on the package, this is how Parcelpro wants it shipped, it is still fully insured because they know what is in the box and value, and this way there is no danger of the watch being confiscated.
I dont know how it works when shipping from US to Canada, there are no restrictions, so I assume Parcelpro would require you to declare the contents and value for customs? I dont know this for sure, you would have to ask parcelpro.
Still, the seller has to agree to ship the watch without declaring value or contents so the buyer gets out of paying taxes or duty, many will not do this (for obvious reasons)

Old 31 January 2014, 02:22 AM   #6
roach7
"TRF" Member

Interesting... Every time I ship with ParcelPro from the USA to international it always warns me that the declared value must match the insured value. I guess ParcelPro has different policies outside the USA...
Old 31 January 2014, 02:37 AM   #7
roach7
"TRF" Member

This is Parcel Pro's warning:

Valuation Discrepancy / Non-transit Delay
Please note that our system has identified a discrepancy between the value declared for insurance and customs. Any delay that is a direct result of concealment from customs of the content of the package and/or inaccurate or under-declaration of value is not part of the normal course of transit and coverage will be terminated as it is excluded under our insurance policy. Please note that acts of concealment or under-declaration for customs purposes may result in fines or seizure of your package. Parcel Pro is not responsible for the payment of these fines or coverage in the event of seizure.

By proceeding with the shipment, you acknowledge that you have read and understand the above terms and are hereby in agreement with the stated coverage conditions..
Old 31 January 2014, 03:31 AM   #8
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

That Must only be for shipments from US to rest of the world.
Remember too that only ROLEX being shipped INTO the US are affected, any other brands are OK

Old 31 January 2014, 05:58 AM   #9
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
My advice - pay the tax and be done with it.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2014, 07:53 AM   #10
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach7 View Post
Interesting... Every time I ship with ParcelPro from the USA to international it always warns me that the declared value must match the insured value. I guess ParcelPro has different policies outside the USA...
That is correct!
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2014, 08:06 AM   #11
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Best advice right here. Don't lie and pay the tax......
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2014, 08:33 AM   #12
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

I guess its different from a canadian point of view, we are already taxed up to our eyeballs compared to the US.
As the OP stated, we even pay tax (13%) on used cars sold PRIVATELY! and the list goes on.....
We certainly do not support illegal activities here, everyone can do whatever they want.

Old 31 January 2014, 09:48 AM   #13
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
I guess its different from a canadian point of view, we are already taxed up to our eyeballs compared to the US.
As the OP stated, we even pay tax (13%) on used cars sold PRIVATELY! and the list goes on.....
We certainly do not support illegal activities here, everyone can do whatever they want.
The same happens down here, except you are supposed to file a use tax return on anything bought out of state. So all the people buying on TRF that live in states that have a sales tax, are technically supposed to still pay the tax.

FYI, I am dual Canadian and US citizen so I know of what you mean about Canada. Unfortunately for me I am now in NYC, which is actually worse than many parts of Canada.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2014, 09:54 AM   #14
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Also duty. That is another 6% on top of the 13%.

Finally, the current exchange rate is worst it has been in 3 years... so anything coming from the US costs 10% more in Canadian $.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2014, 10:25 AM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It's not worth the risk.

I've looked at buying in the US and once you add the currency exchange, tax, duty ( which is 5% on Rolex) I find I actually get better prices from my local AD. No offence to the fine sellers here on trf
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2014, 10:34 AM   #16
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Us canucks get shafted with everything
Everything is cheaper in the US, cars,car parts, tires, electronics, you name it

Old 31 January 2014, 10:39 AM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Us canucks get shafted with everything
Everything is cheaper in the US, cars,car parts, tires, electronics, you name it
It's all relative.

You gotta pay to play, so just look for the best deal you can get, whether it be buying from the US, overseas, or locally
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2014, 10:04 PM   #18
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
"I mean i doubt they can tax me if its a private sale? and the watch is used.. i cant possibly get taxed, or can i? "

Yep.

I've purchased a number of Rolex watches from the U.S. The fees are 5% import duty based on the appraised value of the item (a realistic seller's invoice will do) on any item not originating in Canada, USA, or Mexico (NAFTA), plus applicable PST/GST, plus $5 processing fee.

The 20% Canadian import luxury tax was abolished in April 2007.

Be advised that if you acquire a non-Canadian Rolex through "creative" means, as in smuggling it in and not paying the applicable duty and taxes, said watch will probably NOT be insured by any Canadian insurance company who require you to provide proof that the product was "legally obtained". Legally obtained includes proof that all applicable import fees were paid.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2014, 05:32 AM   #19
owen5150
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post

Agreed 100%. I've brought about a dozen watches into Canada from the US. Playing by the rules is always the best route.
owen5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2014, 12:50 PM   #20
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
"I mean i doubt they can tax me if its a private sale? and the watch is used.. i cant possibly get taxed, or can i? "

Yep.

I've purchased a number of Rolex watches from the U.S. The fees are 5% import duty based on the appraised value of the item (a realistic seller's invoice will do) on any item not originating in Canada, USA, or Mexico (NAFTA), plus applicable PST/GST, plus $5 processing fee.

The 20% Canadian import luxury tax was abolished in April 2007.

Be advised that if you acquire a non-Canadian Rolex through "creative" means, as in smuggling it in and not paying the applicable duty and taxes, said watch will probably NOT be insured by any Canadian insurance company who require you to provide proof that the product was "legally obtained". Legally obtained includes proof that all applicable import fees were paid.
This is interesting. What if you have owned a watch that was given to you by your father and you have owned it for 20 years........and now you have determined that it is a DRSD and it is worth $25,000 and you want to insure it. Nobody is going to have this sort of proof in this situation. Would you still be able to insure it in Canada??

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2014, 07:22 AM   #21
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
This is interesting. What if you have owned a watch that was given to you by your father and you have owned it for 20 years........and now you have determined that it is a DRSD and it is worth $25,000 and you want to insure it. Nobody is going to have this sort of proof in this situation. Would you still be able to insure it in Canada??
My insurance company does not even ask where my watches came from, they couldnt care less, as a matter of fact, they ask me how much i would like to insure each model for. All they do want is an appraisal (always higher than real value) This is state farm btw.

Old 4 February 2014, 12:22 AM   #22
Megatron
"TRF" Member

Canadian here. Unless it's some obscure brand, it makes much more sense to buy it here rather than the U.S. Especially because of the weak Canadian dollar. Also, if you're in Ontario and say you want to buy from an AD in BC, you can always call them and ask if they will ship to you. Some will say no but most will be happy to oblige.

Also, haggle. Most ADs here offer discounts.

I bought something from AB and avoided the Ontario sales tax. So if you can find someone there, that's even better. Keep in mind that Ontario ADs offer really great deals despite the sales tax.
Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2014, 08:39 AM   #23
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
Canadian here. Unless it's some obscure brand, it makes much more sense to buy it here rather than the U.S. Especially because of the weak Canadian dollar. Also, if you're in Ontario and say you want to buy from an AD in BC, you can always call them and ask if they will ship to you. Some will say no but most will be happy to oblige.

Also, haggle. Most ADs here offer discounts.

I bought something from AB and avoided the Ontario sales tax. So if you can find someone there, that's even better. Keep in mind that Ontario ADs offer really great deals despite the sales tax.
Very good suggestions here!