The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 13 March 2017, 07:40 PM   #301
waspy1
Banned

Just saw this on IG:
May have to give Kari a call myself...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 07:52 PM   #302
KarlS
Banned

@waspy..just brace yousrelf for the price on this one. Think the Kaen was a once off CHF 220 000 bargain or about GBP 160 000
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 08:01 PM   #303
waspy1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
@waspy..just brace yousrelf for the price on this one. Think the Kaen was a once off CHF 220 000 bargain or about GBP 160 000

Ouch, ok thanks KarlS. I won't waste his time then! Beautiful movement though, what's the dial like?

Old 13 March 2017, 08:06 PM   #304
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waspy1 View Post
Ouch, ok thanks KarlS. I won't waste his time then! Beautiful movement though, what's the dial like?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2941-ciil-1024x683.jpg (88.7 KB, 298 views)
Old 13 March 2017, 08:17 PM   #305
waspy1
Banned

Quote:

Thanks for that. Nicely done but rather flashy. I'll ask for similar design on the movement and a more sobre dial when I come to order mine...

Old 13 March 2017, 08:21 PM   #306
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for that. Nicely done but rather flashy. I'll ask for similar design on the movement and a more sobre dial when I come to order mine...

sadly uniques get more say on the movement decoration - the unwashed masses get stripes, frosting, ruthenium - let us know how it goes
Old 13 March 2017, 08:25 PM   #307
waspy1
Banned

Quote:
sadly uniques get more say on the movement decoration - the unwashed masses get stripes, frosting, ruthenium - let us know how it goes

Will do!! Have to unload several pieces first!

Old 13 March 2017, 09:36 PM   #308
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Will do!! Have to unload several pieces first!

Are you intent on getting a Voutilainen? That would be great. It's a really cool experience getting a watch exactly like you want, apart from the hands, case and movement you basically choose what you want, what sealed the deal for me was the officers case back with unique engraving, always loved those things
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 09:38 PM   #309
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Are you intent on getting a Voutilainen? That would be great. It's a really cool experience getting a watch exactly like you want, apart from the hands, case and movement you basically choose what you want, what sealed the deal for me was the officers case back with unique engraving, always loved those things
how are the nymphs?
Old 13 March 2017, 09:51 PM   #310
waspy1
Banned

Quote:

I wouldn't say I'm intent on it, just letting it gestate in my mind. This would be a big purchase for me and there are many other pieces vying for the same funds. I'd have to liquidate several pieces and my collection is pretty close to how I want it at the moment.

Old 13 March 2017, 10:20 PM   #311
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
I wouldn't say I'm intent on it, just letting it gestate in my mind. This would be a big purchase for me and there are many other pieces vying for the same funds. I'd have to liquidate several pieces and my collection is pretty close to how I want it at the moment.

Thats the issue...when they start at CHF 72 000 a lot of other watches at other brands come into play
Old 13 March 2017, 10:29 PM   #312
waspy1
Banned

Quote:
Thats the issue...when they start at CHF 72 000 a lot of other watches at other brands come into play

Exactly, and while i can feel comfortable spending that on (say) a pre-owned platinum datograph, a custom voutilainen is a harder decision.

Old 14 March 2017, 09:07 AM   #313
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Watch xchange sold it for £151,700 (asking price) a few months ago. I think it's rather stunning in its own way. OTOH, you could get both an FPJ tourbillon and the Quantieme Perpetuel for similar money, and I think know what I'd do.

https://www.acollectedman.com/collec...nt=20739456003
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 11:32 AM   #314
ELITEVIDEOGAMES
"TRF" Member

Watch: me sell games
Lapince whats the update on the piece unique ?
ELITEVIDEOGAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 01:23 PM   #315
KarlS
Banned

QP I think is great except for the printed numerals. A watch at that price point should have applied or at least cut away numerals like the CS!
Old 15 March 2017, 03:29 AM   #316
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
QP I think is great except for the printed numerals. A watch at that price point should have applied or at least cut away numerals like the CS!
I'd like a small seconds on it, but it's no biggie. The numerals are fine from my perspective.
Old 15 March 2017, 03:53 AM   #317
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
I'd like a small seconds on it, but it's no biggie. The numerals are fine from my perspective.
You don't think for a guy who spends so much effort on detail and quality that printed numerals are a quick and easy short cut on an expensive watch?
Old 15 March 2017, 04:40 AM   #318
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
You don't think for a guy who spends so much effort on detail and quality that printed numerals are a quick and easy short cut on an expensive watch?
Well, actually no I don't, it's not something I'd give a moment's thought to. There must be a reason why he does this, and I would hazard a guess that he's merely imitating his horological hero, Breguet (the man, not the resurrected brand).

You can find applied indices on a Seiko 5, so I don't really agree with you that they are a metric of the "high end".
Old 15 March 2017, 07:50 AM   #319
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
how are the nymphs?
They're doing fine, being slowly engraved, talked with the engraver and he said he started the work, but as I understand it will take a long time, not so easy job

Quote:

Well I wasn't sure until I knew that I could get the officer's case back and unique engraving from the guy who engraved all the Voutilainens, and must say I love many of the ones he did

Quote:
sure, what stands out here in my case is that it's really a unique piece, not just a Vingt-8 slightly customized, that really sealed the deal for me, plus getting a unique piece from a master watchmaker is also kind of cool

Quote:
Exactly, and while i can feel comfortable spending that on (say) a pre-owned platinum datograph, a custom voutilainen is a harder decision.

Well I hesitated between 4 watches, a pt or wg datograph perpetual, which is way above the normal Datograph, a RM 035 or 055, or getting a unique watch where almost everything was how I would want it to be, and I went for the Voutilainen, I mean how cool is it to have a watch exactly how you would imagine the coolest watch, of course I didn't pay 72.000 CHF but a little more, but it should really be a piece of art, some will probably not like the engraved officer's case back, but hey the subject is very personal and not made to please the masses, always loved greek mythology reminds me of my dad who used to tell me the battle of Troy, and Ulysse's quest back home when I was a kid, plus always loved high horology watches with erotic things on the back, for some it might remind them of corny peplums or things like that and they will think it's stupid, but you don't get a piece like that for approval of the others, you really get it for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELITEVIDEOGAMES View Post
Lapince whats the update on the piece unique ?
Like was said before, probably end of May, it was supposed to be June but since I told him my birthday was beginning of June and asked him if I could get it for my birthday, he said he'll do it, so I expect they're on time, I think they will start making it in April, the engraver already started

Quote:
I have a problem with watches using printed as well, at a certain level I expect applied but not printed...
Old 15 March 2017, 07:53 AM   #320
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
I have a problem with watches using printed as well, at a certain level I expect applied but not printed...
Yeah, at the Seiko 5 level. It's not that hard, guys.

Old 15 March 2017, 07:57 AM   #321
Hollister
Banned

Quote:

Well I wasn't sure until I knew that I could get the officer's case back
That case back would be a deal-breaker for me. We're all different.
Old 15 March 2017, 08:54 AM   #322
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That case back would be a deal-breaker for me. We're all different.
Yep, I knew that many wouldn't like, but not a watch for TRF approval, really a personal thing, I love the case back of the MP7 which is the same style as mine will be, for me it adds a huge interest to the watch, but can understand some don't like
Old 15 March 2017, 09:11 AM   #323
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Yep, I knew that many wouldn't like, but not a watch for TRF approval, really a personal thing, I love the case back of the MP7 which is the same style as mine will be, for me it adds a huge interest to the watch, but can understand some don't like
Well at least you have applied dial indices, so it's not all bad.
Old 15 March 2017, 09:17 AM   #324
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well at least you have applied dial indices, so it's not all bad.
Old 15 March 2017, 01:59 PM   #325
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Well, actually no I don't, it's not something I'd give a moment's thought to. There must be a reason why he does this, and I would hazard a guess that he's merely imitating his horological hero, Breguet (the man, not the resurrected brand).

You can find applied indices on a Seiko 5, so I don't really agree with you that they are a metric of the "high end".
Didnt say it was teh metric of "high end"... I stated that you would think someone who spent so much effort manufacturing his dial around a movement, finished the movement beautifuly, goes to all th effort to make sure everything switches over immediately at midnight, should take a note from a $ 500 Seiko's book and use applied numerals rather than the printing. If it was done by hand I would be even more impressed...good news each of us have different things we look for in a watch and as they say "one mans meat is another mans poison!" so lets agree to disagree rather than hijack the thread. cheers
Old 15 March 2017, 09:01 PM   #326
Credor911
Banned

Quote:
Didnt say it was teh metric of "high end"... I stated that you would think someone who spent so much effort manufacturing his dial around a movement, finished the movement beautifuly, goes to all th effort to make sure everything switches over immediately at midnight, should take a note from a $ 500 Seiko's book and use applied numerals rather than the printing. If it was done by hand I would be even more impressed...good news each of us have different things we look for in a watch and as they say "one mans meat is another mans poison!" so lets agree to disagree rather than hijack the thread. cheers
I understand that you prefer applied indices over printed but it would be wrong to think that fpj is cutting corners or taking the easy route when he does printed indices. He does his movements in gold just because he believes his customers should get the highest quality and get something precious for their money. Im sure there is a reason why he prints on some models.
Credor911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2017, 02:34 PM   #327
lapince
"TRF" Member

I don't think FPJ cut corners at all when you see their movements and all, but like Karl I much prefer applied numerals rather than printed, for me it gives something more, but on some watches printed might look better with the overall design
Old 16 March 2017, 04:10 PM   #328
GreenRust
"TRF" Member

Wow, can't wait to see the finished article.

Re the applied vs painted. I don't know; I love both. In a pinch, if pushed I might have to side with applied (more depth / dimension). However, saying that painted numerals look great on enamel and I love enamel dials - again such depth

I'm a huge fan of FPJ, especially the CB. The only thing that bothers me with that watch is the hands - not the shape or color, but the fact that they look stamped, without any added finesse or work to elevate them. Just my opinion based on increasingly poor eyesight.
GreenRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2017, 07:09 PM   #329
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
That Seiko is < £70.

But if inked numerals are a no-no for you, that's the way it is. It seems a weird thing to have a hangup about, but hey.
Old 16 March 2017, 07:28 PM   #330
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
That Seiko is < £70.

But if inked numerals are a no-no for you, that's the way it is. It seems a weird thing to have a hangup about, but hey.
Round and round we go....it's not a hang up.... on a $70k watch it's an expectation...on the CB it's expected but he didn't in the CS...I am sure there is a reason now if someone can explain the why...can we go back an enjoys Arnaud and his nymphs??? It's his thread!