The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 November 2019, 07:23 AM   #271
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
It appears that Breitiling is having trouble selling the 1959 watches in this limited edition release. They are for sale in AD cases and available for purchase online through Breitling.com. Was this a flop for Breitling? Based upon the novelty of this piece and limited availability, one would expect it to have sold-out and be difficult to obtain. The opposite seems to be true. Thoughts?

"Nothing is to too beautiful, nothing is too expensive" Ettore Bugatti.
MoosicPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 07:28 AM   #272
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Super nice.
Old 21 November 2019, 10:07 AM   #273
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoosicPa View Post
It appears that Breitiling is having trouble selling the 1959 watches in this limited edition release. They are for sale in AD cases and available for purchase online through Breitling.com. Was this a flop for Breitling? Based upon the novelty of this piece and limited availability, one would expect it to have sold-out and be difficult to obtain. The opposite seems to be true. Thoughts?
I think it’s a great watch but there’s always the issue at buying a Breitling at full retail being hard to swallow for most buyers. I’ve contemplated selling a Datejust 2 for this watch several times but can’t seem to pull the trigger.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 12:37 PM   #274
cajerseyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: me find "the one"
New Breitling Navitimer Re-Edition

Talked w my AD who spoke to Breitling after I raised online sale concern. He was told it’s basically a marketing ploy designed to get you to “order” and plug in your info but no product is actually available. Panerai does the same thing w limited pieces. Not saying this is accurate just passing on what my AD has told me.

Has anyone actually tried to order this piece online?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 November 2019, 01:14 PM   #275
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

There were quantities set aside for online ordering but I don’t know just how many.
Old 21 November 2019, 06:21 PM   #276
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Ladies and Gents, what is the expected discount on that piece? My dealer initially said 15-20–% plus VAT refund, but now they are pulling back
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 10:23 PM   #277
dlhussain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmi View Post
Ladies and Gents, what is the expected discount on that piece? My dealer initially said 15-20–% plus VAT refund, but now they are pulling back
I've manged to secure 11.4% off!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8925.jpg (88.4 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8920.jpg (69.1 KB, 377 views)

Last edited by dlhussain; 21 November 2019 at 11:32 PM.. Reason: add pics
dlhussain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 04:26 AM   #278
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

I think part of the reason why this watch is sitting at stores is that they took too long to release the watches and a lot of the initial buzz has died now that the watches are actually being delivered. They also seemed to have botched the distribution as certain ADs can't get enough of them to meet demand and are turning customers away, while others have them sitting in the case.

That being said, none of this should really matter. I personally really like the watch and am still looking forward to getting mine even if it's not hard to get. In fact, it's refreshing to be able to get a piece that I really want without having to beg an AD or play any waiting list games.
SSCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 03:13 PM   #279
Oat Willy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 116610LV
There is some game playing and shenanigans still happening for sure. I called two boutiques last week and both had one available. The first one told me it had been purchased (paid for), but since the customer hadn't picked it up yet he would be willing to sell it to me lol!! I asked if I could put a 1K deposit down on it to hold it, and he said yes. Then said the sooner I paid the balance the better to insure they didn't sell it to someone else! LOL. So I said so it really wouldn't be held for me then right? And he babbled something that didn't make sense, so I countered with would it help if I put more down on it, like half? And he goes Oh Yeah! That would do it! Needless to say I didn't do business with them. Second boutique I called also had one, and they were more straightforward with me. I put 1700 down to hold it and paid it off 2 days later, and now have the watch.

Originally I had pre-ordered it with a non-boutique AD back in March the day after it was announced on their website. They asked for 100% in full plus tax down to place the order which I paid. A couple weeks ago I called them to follow up and was told it would be arriving that coming Fri. Didn't get the call on Fri so I called them, and was told Breitling had told them they were shipping it to them, but then changed their mind and shipped it to a boutique to fill an order there instead. But that they were still working on getting me one. I was only finding this out btw because I called them, they couldn't be bothered to call me I guess. It was at that point I decided to call boutiques and score one that way if I could, as described above. I then called the AD to tell them to forget it and get a refund. 20 minutes after I did that, I got a call and an email from the owner or manager of the AD telling me they actually had the watch there and it was ready for pickup! LOL. So, they actually had it the whole time, but for some reason kept it a secret from me. I don't know what to make of that, but my guess is whoever told me it was going to be arriving Fri wasn't supposed to tell me that. Maybe they wanted to offer it up as bait to some of their 'better' customers first, and if they didn't bite, then let me have it? In any event, it's sitting there unsold and available for sale at Ben Bridge Jewelers in Seattle if anyone's looking for one lol
Oat Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2019, 04:13 AM   #280
gsg
"TRF" Member

Man, enough with the sketchy ADs... worst than the "used car salesman" stereotype.
gsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2019, 12:42 AM   #281
bjlev
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM 305
Fresh take on a classic model, I really like it.

bjlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2019, 01:24 PM   #282
Skyrider01
"TRF" Member

For those who have received the watch, is the engraving on the case back lined up horizontally? I know someone who got one and the engraving isn’t horizontal to the watch case. I’m guessing when the case is put on it does not necessarily line up?
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2019, 02:13 AM   #283
Skyrider01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCosmo View Post
I’m not sure you can. Unlike other watches in the site, you only get the option to “Call to Buy” for the 806 Re-Edition.

I know the wait can be frustrating, but as someone who waited for the first Speedy Tuesday after months of delays, as well as alllocations with other brands, it’s not unusual to have to wait many months to receive your allocation. Unlike certain Rolex, AP, Patek, and Omega watches these days, at least these are relatively obtainable.
I just called Breitling USA to find out if they actually have those which they advertise for sale on line. She said yes, they have a few left.
Old 28 November 2019, 09:35 AM   #284
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I was intrigued by this re-edition when I read about the announcement at Basel. About two weeks ago, I checked into the forum and came across this thread. Since some ADs had begun to deliver, I called Polacheck’s in Calabasas, not far from my home, on the off chance they might have one.

Indeed they did. It had only just arrived a couple of days before my call. The salesman kindly put it aside for me. I stopped by later that afternoon, took one look at the watch, still wrapped up in its shipping carton, and if a watch can sing to you, this one positively serenaded me.

It’s a handsome, classic watch and I prefer its classic case dimensions to the larger models.

I’m very happy with the watch and thank all those in this thread for their comments. Reading the thread prompted me to call the AD when I did—and luck was with me. I might not have come across one otherwise.

And yes, I paid full retail. When a watch is just right, it’s just right. And, I’m delighted with this old school chronograph.
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2019, 12:32 PM   #285
Skyrider01
"TRF" Member

So I took my Aerospace to the Breitling boutique to get serviced and they had an 806 re-edition available for sale.

And with no interest financing for 36 months, a slight discount equal to the sales tax, and an extra brown strap, I couldn't pass this one up!

They also had the gold version available. Limited to 159 pieces.

Here is the steel and the rose gold side by side.
I asked them to put the brown strap on the steel version to see how it looks.

Old 28 November 2019, 04:01 PM   #286
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Well done!
Old 28 November 2019, 10:11 PM   #287
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Archer View Post
I was intrigued by this re-edition when I read about the announcement at Basel. About two weeks ago, I checked into the forum and came across this thread. Since some ADs had begun to deliver, I called Polacheck’s in Calabasas, not far from my home, on the off chance they might have one.

Indeed they did. It had only just arrived a couple of days before my call. The salesman kindly put it aside for me. I stopped by later that afternoon, took one look at the watch, still wrapped up in its shipping carton, and if a watch can sing to you, this one positively serenaded me.

It’s a handsome, classic watch and I prefer its classic case dimensions to the larger models.

I’m very happy with the watch and thank all those in this thread for their comments. Reading the thread prompted me to call the AD when I did—and luck was with me. I might not have come across one otherwise.

And yes, I paid full retail. When a watch is just right, it’s just right. And, I’m delighted with this old school chronograph.

Great watch, Lew. Congrats.

Old 29 November 2019, 05:25 AM   #288
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

Nice pics, guys. Congrats to the lucky ones.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2019, 07:39 AM   #289
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabaiguan View Post
Great watch, Lew. Congrats.

Thank you! Definitely something to be thankful for...

And, speaking of thankfulness,

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Old 30 November 2019, 07:58 PM   #290
Helmi
"TRF" Member

After almost 7 months of hunting...she is finally here and boy she is lovely. Got it from the most unexpected dealer among all those I asked.

Happy Thanksgiving to you All.

Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2019, 06:11 PM   #291
jezza17
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD
Congrats to all the new 806 owners. I had a chance to see one for myself today at an AD that had one already sold to a client but were kind enough to show me. Wow. Breitling really hit a home run with this. It looked amazing.
jezza17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2019, 05:29 AM   #292
mckinleystephe
Banned

Does anyone know if a polished Navitimer bracelet will fit on this re issue?

mckinleystephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2019, 06:39 AM   #293
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinleystephe View Post
Does anyone know if a polished Navitimer bracelet will fit on this re issue?

From what I was told by the guy who helped design this watch, there is no bracelet option. The only period correct bracelet for a 1959 would be a mesh option.
Old 4 December 2019, 03:40 PM   #294
Oat Willy
"TRF" Member

What do you guys think about this: I was thinking about swapping the strap on mine out for one of Breitling's standard Navitimer straps (in the right lug size for the 806 reissue of course) with deployant buckle. I understand these are very thick straps. Anyone know if they are thicker than the 806 reissue strap? If they are, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a great match for the watch aesthetically as the 806 reissue is thinner than the standard Navitimer.

Here's a pic of the strap I'm talking about:

Old 5 December 2019, 06:33 AM   #295
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat Willy View Post
What do you guys think about this: I was thinking about swapping the strap on mine out for one of Breitling's standard Navitimer straps (in the right lug size for the 806 reissue of course) with deployant buckle. I understand these are very thick straps. Anyone know if they are thicker than the 806 reissue strap? If they are, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a great match for the watch aesthetically as the 806 reissue is thinner than the standard Navitimer.

Here's a pic of the strap I'm talking about:

I would guess the standard straps would be thicker. Breitling just added all their straps on their website so you can buy directly from them.

https://www.breitling.com/us-en/stra...arch%5Bref%5D=
Old 6 December 2019, 08:37 AM   #296
hduck1
"TRF" Member

Indices

Picked one up yesterday. I’m familiar with the use of the slide rule. I use it on my other Navitimers. However the indices at the 3,6, and 6 marks on the minute counter baffle me
hduck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 04:23 PM   #297
Oat Willy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hduck1 View Post
the indices at the 3,6, and 6 marks on the minute counter baffle me
it's some sort of pilot thing
Old 6 December 2019, 09:58 PM   #298
hduck1
"TRF" Member

Nah I’m a pilot and had to learn how to use the aviation slide rule. With that being said I can’t recall anything significant about 3,6, or 9
Old 7 December 2019, 02:32 AM   #299
Skyrider01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hduck1 View Post
Picked one up yesterday. I’m familiar with the use of the slide rule. I use it on my other Navitimers. However the indices at the 3,6, and 6 marks on the minute counter baffle me
Those longer marks at 3, 6 & 9 were actually for timing telephone calls. Back in the early days when people used pay phones, you had to add coins every 3 minutes. So they used those indices on the chronograph to know when to add money before the call was cut off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat Willy View Post
it's some sort of pilot thing
It's not related to aviation, but a lot of the vintage chronographs had them.
Old 7 December 2019, 07:25 AM   #300
hduck1
"TRF" Member

Thanks! I am a pilot and know the slide rule functions. These markings were baffling me