The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 6 March 2015, 12:08 PM   #1
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Questions about the aquanaut

So I'm interested in the 5167 as a possible option as the next watch and have a few questions about it...

1) It's 40mm- anybody with 6" wrists care to chime in on if it looks too big or not? I've heard this wears bigger than 40mm

2) Tropical strap- how durable is it? Does it last as long as a leather strap? Does it get sticky where lint collects on it? Does it crack after awhile? Any problems or complaints with it?

3) I've read around that the rotor is loud. How loud? I don't want my wrist to be making a noticeable whizzing sound during a meeting or something

4) Is it easy to find a leather strap from say, Camille Fou and easy to put it on the aquanaut? What about adding on the clasp onto a leather strap?

5) What does the dial look like- in some pics it looks like a fairly straight foward black dial and other picks it almost looks like it's got a black Rolex sunburst type look to it?

AND regarding the 5167R...

1) how dark is the brown strap?

2) Is it easy to match up with clothes, for some reason I feel that the SS version is more versatile with other clothes...
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2015, 12:24 PM   #2
mike_bronco
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/Rolex
I don't own either, but I recently looked at both these watches in person.
5) The dial is actually beautiful in person. It does have an iridescent quality and it is dynamic as you move it through different lighting angles.
5167R - the band is sort of a rich, dark chocolate color.
My opinion is, the SS 5167 goes with all colors of clothing except browns, and the 5167R goes with everything except grey/black. I think both of these watches are absolutely beautiful in person, if you can get over the fact that they are on a rubber strap that looks like tire treads. I personally don't love the SS bracelet for the 5167, although it's a huge improvement over the one they made for the 5065.
mike_bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2015, 12:28 PM   #3
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
As far as looks and size your best option is to find one to try on.

Re the composite strap, after more than a year of onwing...it is flawless and amazing.
No smell/ not sticky and not worn Looking.

Easy to find a leather strap, would not bother with the clasp, too much effort.

FYI I am currently waiting for an espresso brown custom strap to be delivered.
Old 6 March 2015, 12:28 PM   #4
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Had my 5167 about a year now, and wear it at least half the time.

1) My wrist about 7-1/2 but I can say the watch wears large for a 40mm
2) No durability complaints so far. Most comfortable watch strap I've ever worn
3) Can hear it very infrequently but would not call it loud, would say perceptible when it spins
4) No experience with other straps on it
5) Dial amazing, can look dark black, starburst greyish and can show subtle brown or gold hues in bright sunlight. Love the dial - underrated IMO

Good luck. I'm obviously biased for this watch!
kneedeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2015, 12:42 PM   #5
soya
"TRF" Member

Do not own one, but ever considered the SS version, with the idea of getting a custom antique look brown croc strap for it; the combo looks fantastic in my mind

As to using the original clasp, you will need to provide the watch or at least the clasp and strap to the strap maker to ensure it will be a good fit. Else there is always the option of aftermarket plain clasp.
soya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2015, 01:18 PM   #6
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I'd agree with most everything already stated above...the tropical strap is extremely comfortable and durable...I'd guess it will last longer than any other leather strap you might wear. Also, replacement tropical straps are reasonably priced...I think around $200...not cheap, but probably less than a good leather strap will cost you. I have a couple leather straps I ordered from Camille fournet that I sometimes wear (my favorite is dark grey), but really any 21mm strap will work. It's a bit more difficult to take off and put on the rubber strap due to two anchors in the case, but by no means is it really difficult. I also had a custom strap made that incorporates the clasp...the maker already had all of the measurements (lug width and clasp width) from a local client, I just had to measure the length of my wrist for a perfect fit, as it will not be adjustable if you incorporate the oem clasp. IMO, I'd say hold off on the custom strap, and see how you like the look of various leathers before you go through the trouble.
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2015, 01:19 PM   #7
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
As far as looks and size your best option is to find one to try on.

Re the composite strap, after more than a year of onwing...it is flawless and amazing.
No smell/ not sticky and not worn Looking.

Easy to find a leather strap, would not bother with the clasp, too much effort.

FYI I am currently waiting for an espresso brown custom strap to be delivered.
I'm anxious to see how the strap looks!
Old 6 March 2015, 01:23 PM   #8
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I posted some options a while back...

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=373457
Old 6 March 2015, 03:44 PM   #9
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
My wrist is 7.25 but I do not feel it wears bigger than 40mm at all. Wears as is imho...but lighter and thinner.

Tropical strap beats leather in wear and tear. Good quality.

Not that loud. Non-Issue

Straps can be done for sure but I do not like it or recommend it because the strap/dial combo makes the watch imho

THE DIAL IS FANTASTIC! One of the best. 3D but thin package with a dial that changes from smoke to black to brown. LOVELY

Do not own the RG :(
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2015, 06:00 PM   #10
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll the Lex View Post
So I'm interested in the 5167 as a possible option as the next watch and have a few questions about it...

1) It's 40mm- anybody with 6" wrists care to chime in on if it looks too big or not? I've heard this wears bigger than 40mm

2) Tropical strap- how durable is it? Does it last as long as a leather strap? Does it get sticky where lint collects on it? Does it crack after awhile? Any problems or complaints with it?

3) I've read around that the rotor is loud. How loud? I don't want my wrist to be making a noticeable whizzing sound during a meeting or something

4) Is it easy to find a leather strap from say, Camille Fou and easy to put it on the aquanaut? What about adding on the clasp onto a leather strap?

5) What does the dial look like- in some pics it looks like a fairly straight foward black dial and other picks it almost looks like it's got a black Rolex sunburst type look to it?

2) Is it easy to match up with clothes, for some reason I feel that the SS version is more versatile with other clothes...
Dial is amazing, the strap excellent. The noise is real but only once you know what it is, people would never pick the sound, but if you tell them people with good hearing can hear it as well. It is not a bad sound but it is just something to deal with. Despite being one of the posters on noise, I dont regret the ownership experience.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2015, 06:06 PM   #11
Melvin_arnold
"TRF" Member

Watch: TV
5167 is a lovely piece. The rubber strap is the best rubber strap by far on any watch. It does not sit big on the wrist at all, best probably to try one on I guess. Rotor noise is there but srsly I don't even notice it.
Just wanted to add, the 5167R is actually fairly heavier than the 5167A.
Melvin_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2015, 06:50 PM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
My wrist is 7.25 but I do not feel it wears bigger than 40mm at all. Wears as is imho...but lighter and thinner.

Tropical strap beats leather in wear and tear. Good quality.

Not that loud. Non-Issue

Straps can be done for sure but I do not like it or recommend it because the strap/dial combo makes the watch imho

THE DIAL IS FANTASTIC! One of the best. 3D but thin package with a dial that changes from smoke to black to brown. LOVELY

Do not own the RG :(
Agree with Tom, I think it wears right on 40mm, the Nautilus with the bigger lugs and extra ear wears a little bigger. And the dial is wonderful and varied, grey sunburst to dark black, much like a Rolex dial.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2015, 10:04 PM   #13
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
As far as sound I strapped mine on yesterday in the rotation and did not notice it at all.

Sometimes I do hear it, sometimes I don't.

I find the dial at its peak in indirect light situations when the Arabic numerals pop most.
Old 6 March 2015, 11:44 PM   #14
jd57
"TRF" Member

My 5167r is a great (dressy) sport casual watch - perfect for resort environment, shorts, jeans, even out to dinner with a sportcoat or blazer. Water resistance makes it OK for swimming or the beach. In short, my favorite weekend watch.

I personally dont think the brown rubber strap works very well with blue or gray suits but perhaps I am old fashioned - I prefer black reptile straps for business/dress. Black strap on the stainless steel model probably would be a bit better, but still an obviously rubber strap.

I think it does wear a bit small, the rubber strap is very comfortable, and I dont hear or notice the rotor. Have thought about ordering a croc strap but haven't pulled the trigger.
jd57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2015, 11:44 PM   #15
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
It is one of the best watches I have ever purchased (5164)! Comfy, durable with an amazing dial. The tropical strap is one of the best, I have never given it a thought about changing it to leather.
Old 7 March 2015, 01:22 PM   #16
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm a bit torn on what to do- I'm a fan of RG but that brown strap- I just can't see it going well whatever I decide to wear. The price is obviously an issue as well... because I could get the SS version and a used DD and get the gold fix that way.

I've got an explorer I and bluesy and I'm considering trading one in to add the Patek.
Old 7 March 2015, 02:04 PM   #17
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Get the 5167r and swap out the brown rubber for black if it's that much of a concern
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2015, 02:13 PM   #18
mikeceee
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,Patek,Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Get the 5167r and swap out the brown rubber for black if it's that much of a concern
That sounds fantastic. Terrific idea

Would love to see pics of that combo.
Old 7 March 2015, 10:35 PM   #19
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm a bit torn on what to do- I'm a fan of RG but that brown strap- I just can't see it going well whatever I decide to wear. The price is obviously an issue as well... because I could get the SS version and a used DD and get the gold fix that way.

I've got an explorer I and bluesy and I'm considering trading one in to add the Patek.
I think the chocolate sunbursts brighter on the DDII than on the 5167R so I would consider the SS and a used DDII.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2015, 12:32 AM   #20
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeceee View Post

I'll have to photoshop that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I think the chocolate sunbursts brighter on the DDII than on the 5167R so I would consider the SS and a used DDII.
Yeah I've been thinking along those lines- rolex does a great job with the sunburst dials.

But that would mean flipping my collection for both. I'll just have to try all of them on. Pictures can only do so much- but I am certain that I'm getting a Patek sometime.

Sent from my iPhone 9S using Tapatalk
Old 8 March 2015, 01:43 AM   #21
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeceee View Post

Here you go- a quick photoshop RG on black strap:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5167.jpg (29.9 KB, 402 views)
Old 8 March 2015, 04:22 AM   #22
mikeceee
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,Patek,Rolex
Quote:
That's awesome and you can wear with pretty much any clothing. Best of both worlds.
Old 8 March 2015, 04:23 AM   #23
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I will second this … I have a small wrist as well -- a bit under 6.5. I think the size is just right for me. BTW.. In terms of rotor noise… I have a Patek 5990 and with the original adjustment-- it wore a little loose (like mine tight) and I took out one more link… One thing I noticed is that the rotor made noticeable noise (or music based on your opinion) until i tightened it. I think that may account for some of the variable responses on here regarding if one can hear the rotor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
It is one of the best watches I have ever purchased (5164)! Comfy, durable with an amazing dial. The tropical strap is one of the best, I have never given it a thought about changing it to leather.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2015, 06:08 AM   #24
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
Quote:
That does not look right at all IMO - what's wrong with the way it is? It's not like it's a light brown, it goes with the dial very well.

Pic from patek.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.9 KB, 358 views)
ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2015, 09:54 AM   #25
thlax
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:

N/A
Very durable. No lint. No cracks. Complaints - because of it I have not worn any other watch in my collection for more than 24hrs because the comfort of the 5167 on tropical strap is untouchable.
You can hear it wiz around the movement every now and then through the day. Unless you work in a silent office, only you will notice every now and then and it is a nice surprise. In silent meetings it is not loud enough to hear beyond you if noticed.
The little bit of research I've done into straps has shown getting a strap with curved edges to align with the case is a lot harder than thought, but its been done by others.

N/A
See pictures above

2020 Green OP41 124300 (Sold), 2020 114060 ND Sub (Sold) Tudor BB58 Blue (Sold), CHNR (Sold), 126603 TT SD43 (Sold) 116500 Black Daytona (Sold), 5512 vintage ‘69 (Sold) 114060 (Sold), AP15202ST (Sold) AP15500 Grey (Sold), 126710 BLRO Pepsi (Sold), 2018 39MM White OP (Sold), SD43 (Sold), ALS 1815 WG (Sold), 116520 White Daytona (sold), DSSD (Sold), 116655 RG YM (Returned), 116619LB Smurf (Sold), PP 5167A (Sold), AP Diver (Sold), PAM112 (Sold)
thlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2015, 01:36 PM   #26
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Thlax, lovely pics- definitely making a case for the SS version there!
Old 8 March 2015, 04:26 PM   #27
hotshot888
"TRF" Member

I used to wear my Daytona SS black dial or GMT 2 as daily wear until I acquired the 5167 SS last month. 5167 SS looks great in suit and sportswear in cooler weather. I haven't gotten a chance to wear with shorts and tees yet. I think it's quite versatile match with any colour but brown may be tougher (ex. A brown bomber leather jacket)
hotshot888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2015, 05:37 PM   #28
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
How much enabling do you need........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PP3.jpg (80.7 KB, 249 views)
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2015, 02:49 AM   #29
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zama View Post
How much enabling do you need........
Oh, about $19,000 wired to DavidSW and to tell him to ship a 5167 in SS to me!

I think I'm going to wait it out a bit- ultimately what I pick whether it's a 5167 in SS or RG or even the 36mm DD depends on where my wife will move me for her grad school. Her top spot is NYC- if that's the case, then my choice clears up real quick- flip the bluesy and pick up a 5167 in SS. Personally I prefer something less showy in NYC. Just my style.

I also have to try it on before I buy and in the spring I'll go check them out in NYC.