The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 4 April 2023, 11:50 PM   #1
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Time for Patek to catch up?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...uverify%20wall

Great idea!
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2023, 11:53 PM   #2
Partekular
"TRF" Member

London…

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crim...x=1680527127-1
Old 5 April 2023, 12:04 AM   #3
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I asked this question in the AP section but not gotten a reply.

While this is a great initiative itself, what happens if someone makes a police report claiming theft, submits the police report to AP to get another watch while retaining possession of the original watch? Committing fraud essentially. I am asking this question because I foresee some grey dealers doing this - reporting a watch as stolen, sells it to unsuspecting customers who aren't aware of this AP initiative, receive another watch to then resell.

Making a police report is fairly straightforward nowadays. Thousands of people make them everyday but unless its a severe crime involving fatality, it's unlikely the police would make an effort to investigate further, no?
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2023, 12:04 AM   #4
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
Disagree.

I want to decide for myself if and how I am going to be insured when it comes to watches just like everything else in life and according to my specific risk profile.

If AP roll out this service long term they will eventually charge the customer one way or another. I am not interested in carefree packages and/or paying for other peoples risk profiles.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2023, 12:06 AM   #5
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the link.

It seems it's only for 2022/2023 and I wonder what the conditions are (area restrictions, etc...). And usually it's not free (in the end).
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2023, 01:51 AM   #6
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Disagree.

I want to decide for myself if and how I am going to be insured when it comes to watches just like everything else in life and according to my specific risk profile.

If AP roll out this service long term they will eventually charge the customer one way or another. I am not interested in carefree packages and/or paying for other peoples risk profiles.
I think what happens one way or another is the price increase, so one might as well get additional services for that

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2023, 02:10 AM   #7
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I registered my pieces within 24 hours. Will have conversation with FHB when I am there this month and report back.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2023, 02:27 AM   #8
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearxj86 View Post
I registered my pieces within 24 hours. Will have conversation with FHB when I am there this month and report back.
Great! I look forward to reading your response.

As to fraudulent claims to the police, these would involve a crime in and of itself so only a fool or a criminal would make such a claim. I suspect that The reporting and proof of such a robbery would require reporting it to the police - in the UK one gets a crime number. But they are bound to make it difficult as do any insurers.
Old 5 April 2023, 07:38 AM   #9
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I am asking this question because I foresee some grey dealers doing this - reporting a watch as stolen, sells it to unsuspecting customers who aren't aware of this AP initiative, receive another watch to then resell.
Program is only available to the original buyer. If a grey dealer has some "in" with a boutique to get watches out of the back door they would have to be insane to jeopardize it for a one-off insurance fraud.

For regular buyers, it doesn't seem different than defrauding their regular insurance.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2023, 12:47 PM   #10
BayAreaTech
"TRF" Member

Think of the reduced cost of insurance. This is a pretty substantial savings.
BayAreaTech is offline   Reply With Quote