The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 April 2024, 03:38 PM   #1
raycover
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Trading a 116520 for a 116610LV?

Hello everybody. I’ve been thinking about trading my black dial 116520 Daytona for a 116610LV Submariner, or what I like to call the Double Green Submariner (Green dial and green bezel). My reasons for trading the Daytona for the Sub would be as follows -

1. Reading the Daytona in lowlight is pretty hard for me, and I have good eyes. It’s especially hard to read how long I’ve been timing something with those small sub dials. It could be easier to time my walks with the Sub and just forget about timing anything longer than an hour with my watch, which is a drawback.

2. I like to wear my watches everywhere, whether it be in the house or at work and a Sub is more of a work watch.

3. I really would like a watch with the chromalight lume

4. The glidelock clasp is fantastic for when it’s hot and humid out and you need to loosen up your bracelet to make it just right, much better than having just the half link adjustment available on the Daytona.

Those are my thoughts, what would you do? Do you think that’s a good decision? And I’m not factoring money into this because it would be a trade to someone who plans on selling their 116610LV (no box or papers - mint) so instead of them selling it I figured I’d offer to trade them my 116520 (box and papers - very lightly worn). They’re a close family member so all I care is that they make out on the deal, from my calculations they’d make a bit more selling the 116520 full box and paper, how right am I on that? Can I have everyone’s thoughts?

Last edited by raycover; 15 April 2024 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: Grammar
raycover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 04:45 PM   #2
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
I always recommend that you buy what you like and if you’ve got question marks against the Daytona then I’d suggest switching it out, at the end of it you are still getting a fabulous watch with hopefully a little cash coming your way
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 04:56 PM   #3
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

The points you make about reading the sub dials are the reason I own a Carrera Day Date. That and those silly pusher collars.

It compliments my awesome 116610LV very well. You do you.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 05:22 PM   #4
Bazil
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nicknames �
Go for it ..

Some people cause happiness wherever they go ; and others whenever they go ..
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 05:41 PM   #5
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Got a Few :)
I’d go for it. As a 116520 owner, myself - the Daytona is a letdown. Quite underwhelming when compared to other pieces like the Hulk, imo.

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 05:47 PM   #6
bluemamba
"TRF" Member

You should get the 116610LV, it's a fine rolex watch. I wear the hell out of my 116610LV Hulk every single day. Enjoy the timepiece, great choice if I may say so myself.
bluemamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 06:10 PM   #7
d33nastyle
"TRF" Member

I swim against the current 116520!
d33nastyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 06:27 PM   #8
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Neither, look at the 126610LV
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 06:31 PM   #9
Madman37
"TRF" Member

wow nobody likes the daytona anymore and i stil cant get one. Sell me yours for cheap lol. But i would not swap.
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 06:33 PM   #10
raycover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
The only problem I have with that is the issues that are coming up with the new movement.
Old 15 April 2024, 07:58 PM   #11
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I agree with your reasons for wanting to make the trade. I'd do it.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 09:23 PM   #12
ukwatchguy1
"TRF" Member

Interesting thoughts, I think as a sub owner myself you will prefer the comfort/ legibility of the sub, I was considering a swap to a newer daytona panda but thinking against it now. I have the normal black sub date, but now considering a "flashier" sub like Hulk/ mk2 Cermit or the full yellow gold bluesy
ukwatchguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 09:28 PM   #13
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Trading a complete SS Daytona for a naked Hulk is not a good trade or fair in my opinion. The value of the naked Hulk can be as low as 12-14k if not less, depending. Your Daytona, complete should be around 17-20K. It is not just about money until it is. I would call a few of our Trusted Sellers and ask them the value of your Daytona and the value of the naked Hulk. It will surprise you I am sure. Sell the Trusted Seller with the best offer on your Daytona the watch and take the funds and buy the Hulk from your family member. You should have enough for an Omega Speedmaster from the last generation left over, 1861. This is what is fair. If your family member does not want to do this then trade your complete Daytona to a Trusted Seller for a complete Hulk. I do prefer the Hulk to the Daytona. Good luck and let us know
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 10:35 PM   #14
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Trading a complete SS Daytona for a naked Hulk is not a good trade or fair in my opinion. The value of the naked Hulk can be as low as 12-14k if not less, depending. Your Daytona, complete should be around 17-20K. It is not just about money until it is. I would call a few of our Trusted Sellers and ask them the value of your Daytona and the value of the naked Hulk. It will surprise you I am sure. Sell the Trusted Seller with the best offer on your Daytona the watch and take the funds and buy the Hulk from your family member. You should have enough for an Omega Speedmaster from the last generation left over, 1861. This is what is fair. If your family member does not want to do this then trade your complete Daytona to a Trusted Seller for a complete Hulk. I do prefer the Hulk to the Daytona. Good luck and let us know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 10:58 PM   #15
Rolextellstime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
The Hulk is super awesome, I love it and wouldn't trade it for a daytona personally so I think you will be happy with the trade.

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk
Rolextellstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 11:32 PM   #16
raycover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukwatchguy1 View Post
Interesting thoughts, I think as a sub owner myself you will prefer the comfort/ legibility of the sub, I was considering a swap to a newer daytona panda but thinking against it now. I have the normal black sub date, but now considering a "flashier" sub like Hulk/ mk2 Cermit or the full yellow gold bluesy
The Daytona for me was a huge letdown, I think you’d be much happier with a flashier Sub like you’ve been wanting. Personally a 16610LV would be awesome, I love those mark 2 bezels colors as well. I had no idea there were so many little differences in that model which make it so infesting to me. Here’s a cool article about it if you haven’t seen.

https://www.watchclub.com/curated-by...ry-sub-decoded
Old 15 April 2024, 11:37 PM   #17
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
I would certainly sell a Daytona to purchase an LV Sub but would go about it differently. Mostly what William1 mentioned.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 11:49 PM   #18
raycover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks so much for your input. This is likely what I’m going to do - I’ll let you know how it goes.
Old 16 April 2024, 12:50 AM   #19
Marast-66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post

I would go for new ref as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marast-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 01:17 AM   #20
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:

Spot on.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 04:41 AM   #21
rolexandlange
"TRF" Member

Have owned both. If I had to buy one again I'd go black dial 116520 with the old button buckle. I really like how secure that guy was. Watch was super versatile, beach to boardroom unlike the Hulk.
rolexandlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 04:45 AM   #22
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I would def trade it towards a hulk but would go full set though.
Old 16 April 2024, 04:45 AM   #23
Srct
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
The LV is a great watch been my beater for the last 7 years . The Daytona is however worth a fair bit more so you are basically gifting the difference to your family member - who from what you saying is just going to sell the Daytona in any case - as others have noted better to get the best price on your Daytona and then buy the LV at a decent rate - everybody wins Good luck
Srct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 05:25 AM   #24
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I’d personally retain the 116520, but this is your decision and I think the reasons you state make the swap make sense. Good luck!
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 06:29 AM   #25
raycover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexandlange View Post
Have owned both. If I had to buy one again I'd go black dial 116520 with the old button buckle. I really like how secure that guy was. Watch was super versatile, beach to boardroom unlike the Hulk.
That’s the exact one I have now. You couldn’t yank that bracelet off it is oddly secure. When I unboxed it for the first time I was shocked there was a little button buckle type clasp, I think it’s pretty odd which does make me like the Daytona a little more. Also it’s something completely different.
Old 16 April 2024, 06:42 AM   #26
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
that's a tough choice, i would still keep the Daytona
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 06:45 AM   #27
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
It's a fine trade.

Depends on where you work though. the green sub is large and has a bit more flash. the 116520 daytona is pretty under the radar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycover View Post
Hello everybody. I’ve been thinking about trading my black dial 116520 Daytona for a 116610LV Submariner, or what I like to call the Double Green Submariner (Green dial and green bezel). My reasons for trading the Daytona for the Sub would be as follows -

1. Reading the Daytona in lowlight is pretty hard for me, and I have good eyes. It’s especially hard to read how long I’ve been timing something with those small sub dials. It could be easier to time my walks with the Sub and just forget about timing anything longer than an hour with my watch, which is a drawback.

2. I like to wear my watches everywhere, whether it be in the house or at work and a Sub is more of a work watch.

3. I really would like a watch with the chromalight lume

4. The glidelock clasp is fantastic for when it’s hot and humid out and you need to loosen up your bracelet to make it just right, much better than having just the half link adjustment available on the Daytona.

Those are my thoughts, what would you do? Do you think that’s a good decision? And I’m not factoring money into this because it would be a trade to someone who plans on selling their 116610LV (no box or papers - mint) so instead of them selling it I figured I’d offer to trade them my 116520 (box and papers - very lightly worn). They’re a close family member so all I care is that they make out on the deal, from my calculations they’d make a bit more selling the 116520 full box and paper, how right am I on that? Can I have everyone’s thoughts?
SLWoodster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 07:27 AM   #28
rockysw
"TRF" Member

its a tough one. If daytona is you only watch then it makes sense to get the hulk. Otherwise, I wouldnt do this trade. Daytona for me is awesome (jsut the fact that you have an automatic chrono for around 12mm thickness is incredible in itself, not the mention the overall awesomeness of the 4130 movement).
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 07:28 AM   #29
Mrngrz46
"TRF" Member

Non written rule: a daytona can be exchanged ONLY for another daytona OR for a patek.
Mrngrz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 11:13 AM   #30
StackLexus17
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I would keep your Daytona and simply buy the Sub from your family member.

This way:
- You have both watches
- The family member makes out OK on the deal
- You can sell your Daytona or the Sub later (if you choose)
- The family member could buy their watch back (IF they think they made a mistake and want it back at a later time)

I would be careful making sure your family makes out OK on the deal at your expense.

The above route I mentioned covers everyone.

Tags
116520 , 116610lv , daytona , submariner