The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 4 March 2016, 01:42 PM   #1
Rolexdaydateii
"TRF" Member

Analytical Personality

Once thought to myself what's up with an entire forum just about Rolex watches,
Now I'm here daily. I'm the type to be able to look at things and put together their function or purpose. Always thought most people where able to do the same but it's not how everybody thinks.
Some have skills getting along and reading people naturally, example People in sales jobs, actors. Some people are empathetic and emotional good social worker or care givers. Others like to follow rules like accountants,and others do what they want at moments notice like musicians actors.

I'm a Property Manager by profession so I'm always anylizing things working to make things better or more efficient. Being a Rolex owner and having the personality I have it I realise it was only a matter of time I'd be on the TRF and into Rolex watches., Rolex watches are mechanical masterpieces after all.
I think it's awesome Rolex produces efficiently with both Man and machine whichever does the best assembly task.

Most would just buy a watch, put it on and forget about it.

How many of you on the TRF are highly analytical? Come on know you who you are.
Rolexdaydateii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2016, 01:48 PM   #2
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
I'm very analytical. I have to be because I'm in sales.

However I buy Rolex watches because chicks dig them.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2016, 02:02 PM   #3
TimeRookie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Most successful people are excellent time managers. Time management is just analysis put to action. I do analyze everything but I love the thought of a magical, miniature, machine performing it's purpose silently, relentlessly while on my arm, all while looking amazing.....
Pelagos 42mm
Explorer II 226570
TimeRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2016, 03:37 PM   #4
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Amiable, Analytical, Driven or Expressive - all personality types are able to succeed and appreciate Rolex timepieces equally. But each type may succeed in different ways. And appreciate a Rolex for different reasons.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2016, 08:26 PM   #5
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Now there's an interesting study hypothesis - certain personality types are more likely to be owners of quality/expensive watches. But what types? A or B types? Jung's 8 types? Maybe use the Myers Briggs? MBTI?

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2016, 09:29 PM   #6
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1953 pre explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Now there's an interesting study hypothesis - certain personality types are more likely to be owners of quality/expensive watches. But what types? A or B types? Jung's 8 types? Maybe use the Myers Briggs? MBTI?
Could be an interesting study but I would hypothesize that the results will be all over the board. Someone who is less likely to buy one may still own one from a gift or being heir to it. Many narcissistic types will buy for show, others may buy for the interest in mechanics and engineering. I would say many more buy on impulse. The fact is, that quality timepieces appeal to so many types of people for so many reasons, even if it's sentiment, that such a study would be hard to quantify.
jmiicustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2016, 11:22 PM   #7
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I'm extremely analytical and to a great fault, actually, as it drives some people crazy.

I'm not the kind of guy who likes to disassemble mechanical things, but when my interest in something is piqued, I immerse myself into it as deeply as I am able.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2016, 11:52 PM   #8
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiicustomz View Post
Could be an interesting study but I would hypothesize that the results will be all over the board. Someone who is less likely to buy one may still own one from a gift or being heir to it. Many narcissistic types will buy for show, others may buy for the interest in mechanics and engineering. I would say many more buy on impulse. The fact is, that quality timepieces appeal to so many types of people for so many reasons, even if it's sentiment, that such a study would be hard to quantify.
I would have to agree with this.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2016, 11:57 PM   #9
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
I'm adhd. How does that rank?

I've always taken things apart and usually get them back together too. I was rebuilding engines before I could drive. Now I'll do the occasional turbo diesel and of course watches.

I enjoy the challenge of the small scale and I don't usually get as dirty as I do with a greasy old diesel and the tools are smaller (but no less expensive!)

Anyway, I enjoy it.

"There's no wrong way to eat a Reese's"
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2016, 11:58 PM   #10
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiicustomz View Post
I don't think it would be hard to quantify the types who own Rolex or anything else. Sure the results would be all over the map, but there would be some trends.

Doing such a study would be expensive and time-consuming, but given enough money, a large enough sample, and proper instruments and methods, it could be accomplished.

I doubt that anyone is going to put up the money for such a study, as there is money to made in the mystique, not the reality.

Old 5 March 2016, 12:00 AM   #11
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
On Myers Briggs I am INTJ.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2016, 12:07 AM   #12
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
On Myers Briggs I am INTJ.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-fad-won-t-die

Old 5 March 2016, 12:50 AM   #13
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
One thing I've learned in my years of sales and management is that the behavior of self described personality types typically don't match observed behavior traits. This is backed up by using personality profiling when hiring key positions.

I would guess that 90+% of people consider themselves analytical thinkers but when you stack up all personality traits, they really aren't. It's just the one they identify most with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2016, 01:35 AM   #14
Boothroyd

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Reading a broad range of posts of TRF, I would say Rolex (who sells somewhere between 850K to 1M watches per year) has buyers across all personality types. I think that is reflected on TRF as well.
Old 5 March 2016, 01:46 AM   #15
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
I find myself doing a lot of agreeing with Renato lately...

People lie to themselves, moreover perception is not reality when we're talking about self evaluation. So few of us can be truly objective or unswayed by bias. All analysts understand this!

What do you think an "analytical personality" is? The definition isn't clear so how can so many claim that A. they know what that means and B. they are one, not scientific in the least.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2016, 05:50 AM   #16
sitka39
"TRF" Member

Very analytical. Usually it works out for me in a positive way. Sometimes it's not that great (thinking of all sorts of **** instead of trying to sleep).
sitka39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2016, 10:56 AM   #17
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
I find myself doing a lot of agreeing with Renato lately...

People lie to themselves, moreover perception is not reality when we're talking about self evaluation. So few of us can be truly objective or unswayed by bias. All analysts understand this!

What do you think an "analytical personality" is? The definition isn't clear so how can so many claim that A. they know what that means and B. they are one, not scientific in the least.
Totally true Marc.

I have an analytical personality

I have always analyzed everything and everyone constantly (my mother says I'm being too critical ). I do a lot of analysis, investigations, and RCA at work and analytical thinking plays a major role in performing those roles effectively. I enjoy that work (it feels natural) and my employer tells me I'm very good at it. Which, I use as an independent assessment of my own opinion stated above. I have taken a few personality tests that agree with my skill set, and a few that don't (seems to be a coin toss on testing).

Most people that tell me they are analytical thinkers don't analyse or problem solve very effectively at all. The label seems to offer them some sort of security, though I don't see a particular advantage to self promoting an analytical thinker label.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2016, 12:33 PM   #18
mmutte

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitka39 View Post
Very analytical. Usually it works out for me in a positive way. Sometimes it's not that great (thinking of all sorts of **** instead of trying to sleep).

I do the same...but I like to think of it as being thorough, not so much as analytical.
IMO I think the majority of folks here (including myself) can be summarized by saying that we 'pay attention to detail' and in many and most instances this is a good thing, but bad in others.
mmutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2016, 12:06 AM   #19
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
I have always been of the opinion that self-assessment instruments are not worth the paper upon which they are written. People have all sorts of delusions about themselves and how they function. These are rarely supported by independent observation.
I have worked with a lot of deeply self-deluded people during my long working life and do not doubt that they would say that I am equally delusional.
Analytical - what does that mean.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2016, 04:06 AM   #20
Ticknaway
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Let's do this everybody send me some money and I'll buy a Daytona, Then we'll figure out why I did it!!!
Ticknaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2016, 06:16 AM   #21
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I used to be analytical but made a 7 point plan to stop.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2016, 06:33 AM   #22
77T

Analytical Personality

My rule of thumb...
Ask any new Corvette or Rolex owner this question: "Why did you buy it?"

Man, woman, senior, or tweeter, you'll usually get one of 3 answers...

1. It looks so great (interpreted - I look so cool with it)

2. My ______________ fell in love with it (interpreted - I'm whipped)

3. I got such a great deal (interpreted - I'm embarrassed you asked)

1-2-3
Diamond-Circle-Square

Leaders-Followers-Analyticals

If you get more that one answer then borderline split personality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2016, 06:09 AM   #23
Dyim
"TRF" Member

I have been told I am a nit picking perfectionist.

Judging by the number of posts where people talk about minor imperfections on their watches, I guess I am not alone?

And I don't even own loupes and don't want to.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2016, 03:41 PM   #24
Rolexdaydateii
"TRF" Member

Very informative I have to agree with every reply. My original post was not meant to tout being analytical as far as success in life or owning watches.. I have a brother in sales and he was calling me a analytical long before I even realized it myself. I can never take a compliment without looking for reasons behind it, my brother said its part of that personality as most would just take the compliment. It's true it's also about self perception effecting outcome of tests. I've done a lot of hiring and those test do assist in weeding out high risk personalities for certain positions. After employees are hired more often than not they are exactly as tested and I adjust my comuniication style. People who score high risk taking and emotional not good for Maintenance position. Risk Excellent for sales though. Before anyone gets upset I'm not knocking sales as my brothers house is the size of an apartment building.

I myself have to time manage these days because I like to research and get into information details little too much. Slower on the trigger.. If there's is an issue I will lose sleep thinking about it. I analyze conversations from days past. Like I said not tauting being analytical I just recognise there must be like minded individuals I could go on. Most would just put the watch on and forget about not read on a forum do research and comment. I like my watch cause it shines and the girls like it
Rolexdaydateii is offline   Reply With Quote