The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 31 December 2013, 04:53 AM   #1
Brit78
"TRF" Member

Terrible to hear this. Sorry to all who have been affected by this scammer. There are some quality members and sellers on this site for sure. It's a shame that a scammer like this can ruin it for everyone.

Also, FWIW, Alex contacted me on December 13th for a trade of the alleged Patek for a watch I have listed plus $7000. I politely declined.
Old 31 December 2013, 04:56 AM   #2
Audemars Piguet
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Why not to stop since the request is made by the sender! I mean I paid for the shipping so I can do what ever I want.
Old 31 December 2013, 05:26 AM   #3
afnios1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: IWC 371503 gst.
this is Alex,all his details/records are available,even his arrest for drugs.Enough for now.
Old 31 December 2013, 05:23 AM   #4
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
If fedex refuse to stop the parcel the OP can ask for customs value modification ,lets correct the value to USD 40k , i hardly beleive Tony will pay the EU duties -about 40%-

Just my 2cents

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Old 31 December 2013, 07:43 AM   #5
hcd90
"TRF" Member

I bought a watch from alex
After 3 days i receive the watch ....
I could look where i sent the money
Old 31 December 2013, 08:05 AM   #6
RobinW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcd90 View Post
I bought a watch from alex
After 3 days i receive the watch ....
I could look where i sent the money
An account number would be greatly appreciated!
Old 31 December 2013, 08:18 AM   #7
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
You guys don't mess around, I love it!
Old 31 December 2013, 10:10 AM   #8
Kashmo1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub/DJ/BLNR/Coke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex Dude View Post
You guys don't mess around, I love it!
+1! Forget the FBI, call TRF!! Sucks to hear this and I really hope this all get resolved. I got scammed about 7 yrs ago so I know how the op and others feel. Good luck.
Old 31 December 2013, 08:31 AM   #9
Porsche958
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
Despite having a successful deal with Alex prior, he has taken me for $2,000.00 as well. I sent an initial payment for a Rolex Explorer II 216750 which was supposed to have shipped last Monday, and as of today no package is in route to my address via any carrier. He's been somewhat responsive but vague at best, and most recently he told me that all of his accounts were hacked and some of the deals made were not conducted by him.
Old 31 December 2013, 09:23 AM   #10
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche958 View Post
Despite having a successful deal with Alex prior, he has taken me for $2,000.00 as well. I sent an initial payment for a Rolex Explorer II 216750 which was supposed to have shipped last Monday, and as of today no package is in route to my address via any carrier. He's been somewhat responsive but vague at best, and most recently he told me that all of his accounts were hacked and some of the deals made were not conducted by him.

How convenient......
Old 31 December 2013, 09:17 AM   #11
Touring

Wow! Received a heads up from hcd90 about this thread.

Alex initially contacted me about purchasing his 14060m, and then trading my 5513 for it + cash. His references checked out but the deal stalled when he was unable to provide better photos and clarify the LNIB status.

Glad I avoided the deal(s) but it would have been tough to foresee the events described in this thread given his multiple references.

Best of luck to those affected.
Old 31 December 2013, 09:47 AM   #12
kooltzar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 5512
If the watch is indeed stuck with Fedex at OTOPENI airport in Bucharest, than it should really be possible to get it returned to the sender. Good luck.
Old 31 December 2013, 10:55 AM   #13
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
How in the world did some of you guys get Rolexes shipped to the US before Alex decided to go rogue?

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 31 December 2013, 11:10 AM   #14
bungcarlo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
It's 3 am (31st) in Romania as I post. The package is supposed to be re-delivered today with estimated delivery time at 6 pm. They're obviously not open yet but there's still a possiblity for the OP to contact FED EX to stop delivery and explain the situation. Contact http://www.fedex.com/ro/contact/ ASAP.
Good luck and hope everything gets sorted out.
Old 31 December 2013, 11:27 AM   #15
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Is it possible that this will turn out ok?
Old 31 December 2013, 11:37 AM   #16
zbrock06
Banned

It will turn out ok because we will not give up until it does. Someone will be held accountable for this. Many of us are working hard to stop, fight, and get our money back.
Old 31 December 2013, 11:42 AM   #17
zbrock06
Banned

Is it possible to get IP addresses from past sessions? Tony1 claims that his account was hacked (bullshit), his tone, language has not changed. I have emailed him directly and through PM, which the language has not changed.

If we can get IP addresses from past sessions, we can verify the IP address from past successful transaction time frame to the newly hacked time frame and determine if his account was really hacked.
Old 31 December 2013, 11:43 AM   #18
bmpwatch
"TRF" Member

I really hope the OP can contact fedex and get the package rerouted....would be amazing news
Old 31 December 2013, 12:24 PM   #19
Lucky777
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmpwatch View Post
I really hope the OP can contact fedex and get the package rerouted....would be amazing news
When I realized I got scammed last year I tried having the package re routed, but FedEx told me only the sender can change this...not sure if things have changed
Old 31 December 2013, 12:05 PM   #20
Porsche958
"TRF" Member

His accounts were definitely not hacked, he was the same person I negotiated the first deal with; He knew about the Datejust that I traded him for my wife, he knew that he shouldn't use EMS/USPS this time as the Datejust took weeks to arrive, he knew quite a few things that while you could gather from email, one wouldn't be able to easily recount it verbatim and as quickly as he did if he were truly a victim of hacking/social engineering, I just highly doubt that entire scenario. What I do know is that I'm going to do everything I can to get my money back and after I do, I'm going to buy the damn 216750 in polar white like I originally planned.
Old 31 December 2013, 12:07 PM   #21
zbrock06
Banned

That is exactly as I thought!! We will get him. His world is getting smaller and smaller with less places to hide.
Old 31 December 2013, 01:10 PM   #22
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: None
It appears that a lot of scammers lately have a new MO. Deal with reputable sellers to get their feedback, make a few good sale (small dollar item) then take a few people and disappear. My only advise is never wire money to a different name. if you are dealing with Alfred, then wire money to Alfred or Alfredo. If you are dealing with a guy with a company, as for the name of the Beneficiary.

Watches:
Patek 5205G | Patek 5167A | 16613 Serti | 116718 Green | 216570 Black | 16700 Pepsi

Wish list:
Patek 5726/1 | AP RG Ceramic | Patek 5712 | Patek 5130
Old 31 December 2013, 03:09 PM   #23
Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNFZ4 View Post
It appears that a lot of scammers lately have a new MO. Deal with reputable sellers to get their feedback, make a few good sale (small dollar item) then take a few people and disappear.
While I understand there are more expensive brands, Alex did trade and sell watches valued at several thousand dollars each (e.g. Rolex, IWC...etc), which in most cases, would be reassuring. These events are definitely surprising, though perhaps less so in light of the unearthed previous run-ins with the law.
Old 1 January 2014, 12:13 AM   #24
Porsche958
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring View Post
While I understand there are more expensive brands, Alex did trade and sell watches valued at several thousand dollars each (e.g. Rolex, IWC...etc), which in most cases, would be reassuring. These events are definitely surprising, though perhaps less so in light of the unearthed previous run-ins with the law.
Right, keep in mind I had a successful trade with him regarding a Rolex which he did send just a few months back, this wasn't my first deal with him. So in short, this could have happened to anyone and at this point I would consider the current system we have here to be compromised. There needs to be a trusted intermediary party that facilitates the transaction, like an escrow house. This will protect both sides, because as of now I am reluctant to deal with anyone but an AD, which is a shame.
Old 1 January 2014, 02:13 AM   #25
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Right, keep in mind I had a successful trade with him regarding a Rolex which he did send just a few months back, this wasn't my first deal with him. So in short, this could have happened to anyone and at this point I would consider the current system we have here to be compromised. There needs to be a trusted intermediary party that facilitates the transaction, like an escrow house. This will protect both sides, because as of now I am reluctant to deal with anyone but an AD, which is a shame.
The system as you call it is anything but compromised. The fact is that Tony1 had 6 transactions here over 1 year. He was not a well known, well established trusted seller. There are plenty of people who have had thousands of successful transactions over the years without a glitch. We allow people to buy and sell watches here as an accommodation. As for a 3rd party or escrow service that is quite silly IMHO and will never happen. How about dealing with the likes of a true trusted, established and very well known seller with nothing but pages upon pages of great feedback? What always gets people in trouble is when they shop price and go off the reservation. For every one time someone decides to ship a watch or send a wire to Romania from here in the US there are thousands of great transactions with great people who WE ALL KNOW that have taken place without a glitch! If it makes you more comfortable to deal with an AD...Cool to for it! As for this happening yes it is a bummer but it is also the exception not the norm...fact. People have choices to make and the less risk in that choice the better as far as I am concerned. Let's keep things in perspective. There are plenty of ways to minimize ones risk and plenty of us can attest to that. Why has this not happened to most of us? Think about it.....With that may everyone's 2014 be better than 2013!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 1 January 2014, 02:44 AM   #26
afnios1

Watch: IWC 371503 gst.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
The system as you call it is anything but compromised. The fact is that Tony1 had 6 transactions here over 1 year. He was not a well known, well established trusted seller. There are plenty of people who have had thousands of successful transactions over the years without a glitch. We allow people to buy and sell watches here as an accommodation. As for a 3rd party or escrow service that is quite silly IMHO and will never happen. How about dealing with the likes of a true trusted, established and very well known seller with nothing but pages upon pages of great feedback? What always gets people in trouble is when they shop price and go off the reservation. For every one time someone decides to ship a watch or send a wire to Romania from here in the US there are thousands of great transactions with great people who WE ALL KNOW that have taken place without a glitch! If it makes you more comfortable to deal with an AD...Cool to for it! As for this happening yes it is a bummer but it is also the exception not the norm...fact. People have choices to make and the less risk in that choice the better as far as I am concerned. Let's keep things in perspective. There are plenty of ways to minimize ones risk and plenty of us can attest to that. Why has this not happened to most of us? Think about it.....With that may everyone's 2014 be better than 2013!
well said Ken,
in 1997 i paid an ad for a bn audi,few days later i saw him on tv news as he had scamm many buyers including me.I do understand the feeling of loosing money for nothing,the pain it gives but,in this alex case i can only tell that my feeling is on a happy end.
Old 1 January 2014, 04:03 AM   #27
Porsche958
"TRF" Member

Quote:
All valid points, I suppose my perspective is biased in that 1 of my 3 deals here went sour, but I understand that I am statistically an anomaly in the grand scheme. My suggestion of an online escrow could be facilitated by one of the many trusted members you touched on, and they could even charge for this service, I don't see why it is totally out of the realm of possibility, specially for less known sellers and buyers to utilize. With that said, ditto, I hope 2014 will be a much better year than 2013! :)
Old 1 January 2014, 03:16 PM   #28
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:

How true.

TRF works very well. You just have to do your homework. Make sure to buy from a real trusted TRF seller. (saved me thousands!)
Old 1 January 2014, 03:22 AM   #29
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There needs to be a trusted intermediary party that facilitates the transaction, like an escrow house.

This will protect both sides, because as of now I am reluctant to deal with anyone but an AD, which is a shame.
Like Escrow.com?

You are all welcome to use such a party but there's an obvious "I received a brick in the post" loophole to skew the balance too far in one direction.
Old 1 January 2014, 04:03 AM   #30
southtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
Like Escrow.com?

You are all welcome to use such a party but there's an obvious "I received a brick in the post" loophole to skew the balance too far in one direction.
Not if a trusted seller here was willing to act as escrow agent (for a percentage of the sale; a flat fee; something to make it worth his time and risk?) for the watch itself while the funds are transferred and confirmed as received. I can see problems with this concept as well, but it's a thought.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
Closed Thread