The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 June 2021, 12:24 PM   #1
7sins
"TRF" Member

Recommendations for Greece??

Hoping to ask for advice from all of those that have visited Greece. I've traveled extensively through Europe and Asia but this will be the first time to Greece here in August for roughly three weeks. Our itinerary is so far:

Athens: Arrive tues leaving Sunday, staying central, walking distance to Patheon, focus on exploring the historical sites
Syros: Sunday through Thursday
Mykonos: Thurs - Sunday
????? - Sunday through Thursday

After Mykonos would love recommendations on where we should spend the last 4 days? We were thinking maybe Crete due to the culture and history. Or maybe Santorini but our concern is Santorini experience will be too similar to Syros and Mkyonos. Or perhaps Folegandros? We will be with friends in Mykonos and Syros then will just be my gf and I the rest of the trip.

Also any restaurant and or adventures/experiences that are a must in any of the cities would be greatly appreciated?

We plan to go scuba diving when we are in Syros, that appears where most of the dive sites are but open to suggestions, prefer drift and reef dives.

For context, the two of us are in our younger 30s, love history, culture, food, exploring, scuba diving, nightlife, hiking and the beach.

Thank you to everyone in advance for your advice and insight.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 05:58 PM   #2
330ci
"TRF" Member

Always been a fan of Loutraki/Corinth myself. You can't go anywhere in Greece without there being something historical around. Corinth is where St Paul spent a few years(where the book Corinthians comes from) so alot of rich ancient ruins/history there. There's also the Monastery of St Patapio which is a pretty cool place to visit, and can be a fun mountain hike if you so choose. Beyond that Loutraki has an amazing night life, clubs, restaurants and coffee houses line the Mediterranean the natural springs there are supposed to be holistic and are frequented by people all over the world. Cheaper than most of your typical tourist destinations. No matter where you're at, make sure to take advantage of the fresh seafood.

Enjoy your trip, I might be heading out there at the end of July for a wedding, wasn't planning on until next year, but I won't be complaining if it comes sooner
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 07:36 PM   #3
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Oh the land of cigarettes and cash.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 10:04 PM   #4
MDMH
"TRF" Member

I felt the same way. IMO if you haven't been to Greece before and it might be a while before returning?... Santorini should be on your list.... yes it's 'touristy' and therefore probably the most expensive all round of the islands but if your into scenery and history Santorini has to rank right up there. Where else can you stay in a hotel or city perched on the edge of the caldera... Not to mention anytime you see any Greece tourism adverts 8 of 10 X its shots of Santorini or city of Athens. "See" to say you "saw" it. It is gorgeous scenery. Also the airport in Santorini has lots of flights back to Athens and such negating the long ferry rides... longer than you'd expect. Lots to do there. Red, White, Brown and Black sand beaches to hit and spectacular sunsets at Oia. Fira is bustling at night places to eat every 20ft and lots are perched on the edge of the caldera. We rented a bigger CC (for the hills) ATV for the week to get around more or less beach hopping.
MDMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 10:23 PM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Santorini is a destination location unto itself IMHO. It has a great mix of shopping, history, and low key places to explore.

I wasn't all that impressed with Athens but that may have changed since I was last there.

Another outlier for me was the island of Kythira.

P1000242.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2021, 04:17 AM   #6
Cazador60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 5513
I have never been to Athen unfortunately but during our cruise I had the opportunity to visit Mykonos which I thought was one of the most beautiful towns I have ever visited. I especially liked the Island of Rhodes and exploring the old fortified city. Santorini was beautiful but I liked the above two islands more. Katakalon was interesting.
Cazador60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2021, 06:59 AM   #7
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Enigma hotel in Fira on the island of santorini.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2021, 07:06 AM   #8
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Try the Ionian Islands, probably some of the best and most dramatic beaches in all of Greece. I've been going there since the 70's, more times than I can count. Kefalonia or Zakynthos. Check them out.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2021, 11:42 PM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Try the Ionian Islands, probably some of the best and most dramatic beaches in all of Greece. I've been going there since the 70's, more times than I can count. Kefalonia or Zakynthos. Check them out.
This ^^^ Kythira
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2021, 12:27 AM   #10
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
I’ve heard Kavos in Corfu is beautiful. Many watch shops and Michelin restaurants too.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2021, 12:37 AM   #11
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I’ve heard Kavos in Corfu is beautiful. Many watch shops and Michelin restaurants too.
Corfu is beautiful, not great on beaches but lots to do.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2021, 01:04 AM   #12
kearez
"TRF" Member

I recently returned from a three week work trip to ATH. Maybe since my trip wasn’t for pleasure and I was flying solo. I found three weeks was too long. ATH is great but you will do all the tourist things in about two days as I did over the weekends. I would recommend the “New Hotel” roof top bar was a nice place for a drink.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2021, 01:48 AM   #13
Sjmoore11
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp II - old & new
I travelled around the Peloponnese peninsula in 2019 and was really impressed. Scenic little towns, nice beaches, some hiking, and even small but tasty vineyards. Naflpio and Kardamyli were highlights. Had five days in Athens at the beginning which I found a good amount.
Sjmoore11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 03:17 AM   #14
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Highly recommend Sani Club or Sani Dunes in Halkidiki.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 03:46 AM   #15
7sins
"TRF" Member

Thank you everyone, appreciate your comments and help. We decided on Santorini for the last leg of the trip.

Would love any restaurant or adventure/activity recommendations for Athens, Syros, Mykonos and Santorini?
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 04:24 AM   #16
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I hear it's beautiful in Greece. Enjoy
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 04:40 AM   #17
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Greece and the Greek islands are beautiful. I spent some time in Athens when I was younger and loved the history - ancient capital of the world before Rome I think.

In Mykonos we did a kayak tour run by a family and it was amazing. One of the best days out we’ve had. Fantastic food as well, all real Greek local cheeses, breads etc. Top trip on TA.

As for Santorini bring your camera. One of the most photographed places on the planet. As we’re on a Rolex forum . . . . . I remember going into a tiny Rolex and Patek shop in one of the villages (subsidiary of the Athens AD) and they had a hulk in the window. With the exchange rate to the £ it was around £4,800!!!! Was. 2014/15 but still even then it was extremely cheap.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 05:20 PM   #18
Prov9
"TRF" Member

That’s a lot of time for Athens but if you need time to recover from jet lag, then it should be adequate. Not a lot to do in Athens from the two times I went there. A memorable experience was the Open Air Cinema THISION - rooftop cinema with amazing views.
If you run out of things to do in Athens, maybe a day trip via ferry to Hydra. Very small town but charming, quiet and relaxing.
Prov9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 07:37 PM   #19
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

I’ve just booked approx 2 weeks in Greece starting with 3 nights in Athens (staying in Kolonaki) and then 9 nights in Santorini. I’d advise booking Santorini ASAP as places are quickly selling out. Some were selling out as I was searching.

So, I’d recommend Santorini for your final leg. I haven’t yet been but I can’t wait. We’ve chosen a smallish boutique hotel that’s a little more out of any town so we can enjoy some peace, quiet and the crowds.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 08:46 PM   #20
winst
"TRF" Member

Kefalonia is our favourite Greek Island, a lot lusher and greener than most of the others.
winst is offline   Reply With Quote