The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 May 2020, 08:10 AM   #1
Barra1023
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Starting my collection. Need some suggestions on next watch

Hey guys,

I want to start a watch collection with a variety of watches from different brands that will somewhat hold their value over time. I currently have a Sub 116610LV "Hulk" and im looking to add the next watch. For this next watch im thinking of either purchasing a an Explorer II White dial or a speedmaster moon watch. Another option would be to wait a bit and try to get a pepsi GMT. I would love to hear any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks!
Brandon
Barra1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 09:06 AM   #2
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
I say this after being an enthusiast purchasing mechanical watches for the past 15 years, currently own 10 pieces and I’m not rich by any means. Please don’t think these comments are directed at you... just wanted to share my experience, reflections and corrections I would make and ymmv...

1) Collections are for people with deep pockets or started 30 years ago... owns 1 of every sub or gmt ever made, travels to watch fairs to find the 1of20 ever made with a bart simpson cornet, etc.

2) What is considered hot always changes. 2016 to now SS... remember when 16710s sat on AD shelf’s and Bubble Back’s were hot? My point is don’t chase value since it’s relative to a given market and changes every 5-10 years, generally speaking.

3) I don’t buy more than 1 watch per year. Researching what to acquire takes time and is a lot of fun, I feel sad for the people (not really) who buy a watch then 5-days later are asking, what next! How about enjoying your new timepiece for the merits of why you purchased it. Live with it on your wrist for 3-6 months and see if you bond and what works and doesn’t work... this leads to discovery on what to look for in your next time piece.

4) I like your approach of wanting to try other brands... but research everything about the companies... post purchase experience, quality and accuracy of movements, history of the model, resellable (I’ve never sold a watch), local quality AD, etc.

5) What type of complication’s do you like... I’m a bit odd but hate setting my GMT hand and never wear it, I tend to actually use my diver bezel daily but never time with my chronos, I love big power reserves.

6) Having more than 5 watches is a PITA, for me, due to security concerns... I use a SDB and insure all my pieces, plus service. Too much risk for me to sell down, but I wish I would have focused harder on a 5 piece collection vs thinking I should become a collector buying a watch every year. Additionally, you become numb to the chase and the purchasing high unless you keep going bigger... one has to become comfortable with that.

7) Your taste will change... enjoy 1-2 pieces that fit your lifestyle today. No crystal ball for the future. I previously liked leather straps, couldn’t give me one now (sweat too much).

8) There’s things to do in this hobby besides spending thousands of dollars. I purchased a watch building class and assembled a manual wind mechanical movement... this was more fun than purchasing a couple watches.

9) People love to talk up the watch they own. Asking complete strangers on a watch fora will get you to either a GMT or Daytona (great watches, not knocking them, but the herd mentality is strong with those pieces).

10) Remember this is only a hobby and enjoy it! I can not begin to think how boring it would be to consider these as stocks, which has be done a lot since 2016.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 09:14 AM   #3
ecuares2011
"TRF" Member

Get the speedy, then you'll have the two most iconic watches to start your collection
ecuares2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 11:23 AM   #4
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
I say this after being an enthusiast purchasing mechanical watches for the past 15 years, currently own 10 pieces and I’m not rich by any means. Please don’t think these comments are directed at you... just wanted to share my experience, reflections and corrections I would make and ymmv...

1) Collections are for people with deep pockets or started 30 years ago... owns 1 of every sub or gmt ever made, travels to watch fairs to find the 1of20 ever made with a bart simpson cornet, etc.

2) What is considered hot always changes. 2016 to now SS... remember when 16710s sat on AD shelf’s and Bubble Back’s were hot? My point is don’t chase value since it’s relative to a given market and changes every 5-10 years, generally speaking.

3) I don’t buy more than 1 watch per year. Researching what to acquire takes time and is a lot of fun, I feel sad for the people (not really) who buy a watch then 5-days later are asking, what next! How about enjoying your new timepiece for the merits of why you purchased it. Live with it on your wrist for 3-6 months and see if you bond and what works and doesn’t work... this leads to discovery on what to look for in your next time piece.

4) I like your approach of wanting to try other brands... but research everything about the companies... post purchase experience, quality and accuracy of movements, history of the model, resellable (I’ve never sold a watch), local quality AD, etc.

5) What type of complication’s do you like... I’m a bit odd but hate setting my GMT hand and never wear it, I tend to actually use my diver bezel daily but never time with my chronos, I love big power reserves.

6) Having more than 5 watches is a PITA, for me, due to security concerns... I use a SDB and insure all my pieces, plus service. Too much risk for me to sell down, but I wish I would have focused harder on a 5 piece collection vs thinking I should become a collector buying a watch every year. Additionally, you become numb to the chase and the purchasing high unless you keep going bigger... one has to become comfortable with that.

7) Your taste will change... enjoy 1-2 pieces that fit your lifestyle today. No crystal ball for the future. I previously liked leather straps, couldn’t give me one now (sweat too much).

8) There’s things to do in this hobby besides spending thousands of dollars. I purchased a watch building class and assembled a manual wind mechanical movement... this was more fun than purchasing a couple watches.

9) People love to talk up the watch they own. Asking complete strangers on a watch fora will get you to either a GMT or Daytona (great watches, not knocking them, but the herd mentality is strong with those pieces).

10) Remember this is only a hobby and enjoy it! I can not begin to think how boring it would be to consider these as stocks, which has be done a lot since 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 11:30 AM   #5
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

I'm going to suggest something completely random - go for a late model 36mm turnograph with the red writing.

Unloved, discontinued and rare.
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 11:36 AM   #6
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

While I think one can collect and deeply enjoy the hobby without necessarily being very wealthy (in relative terms, at least), you made some very good points and presented a very thought out response.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 11:42 AM   #7
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
Quote:

What a terrific response, Made me think a lot. We need more of this on the forum. Thanks!!
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 12:17 PM   #8
RXAPPP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5
Quote:

What he said
RXAPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 12:29 PM   #9
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktehtank View Post
What a terrific response, Made me think a lot. We need more of this on the forum. Thanks!!
I thought so too. His words made me think a lot.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 12:46 PM   #10
Trouble15
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedwatcher View Post
I'm going to suggest something completely random - go for a late model 36mm turnograph with the red writing.

Unloved, discontinued and rare.
Wow turnograph, haven't heard that suggested some time. I don't disagree!
Trouble15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 12:50 PM   #11
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyProExplorer1
JJ's post is awesome.

My philosophy is buying whatever appeals to me as an individual, I could care less about future value or fashion trends, or treating them as a long term investment. Take care of them yes, but I buy watches to wear and enjoy.

Mechanical watches are a responsibility, so factor in servicing costs down the road. Less is more in this regard.

That said, a Speedmaster belongs in every watch enthusiasts collection, it's a wonderful timepiece.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 12:51 PM   #12
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble15 View Post
Wow turnograph, haven't heard that suggested some time. I don't disagree!
I've only recently started coming around to them. Look at how unique it is - white gold bezel, turnable, red writing on the dial, a variety of dial colors and a roulette date wheel.

I'm not too much for 'investment' watches, but if you consider the short run, how unpopular it is / was, it's a recipe for something that in 20 - 30 years will be a real gem. It is my favorite datejust by far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex_Datejust-5D3_9714-3-Edit.jpg (115.5 KB, 265 views)
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 01:34 PM   #13
campfire
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Very nice.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 01:48 PM   #14
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
only watches that hold value are rolex.

but you said you want different brands.

a good 2nd rolex would be a gmt or a datejust.

i prefer a datejust because you already have a sports watch
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 03:38 PM   #15
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Great advice from JJ above.

A mistake I made when I first set out collecting was thinking I needed a diver/dress/chrono/field/etc type watch. I realised shortly after heading down this path this was wrong and I should only buy what I like regardless of whether or not that means I’d end up with a collection full of dive watches for instance.

Rolex are best when it comes to value retention but if you’re looking at other brands, Omega in your case, then shop around and do your research to find the best price. I did this when purchasing a new Seamaster a few years back and now I wouldn’t lose out if I needed to move it on.

Of your choices, for me you have the Hulk with it’s oyster case and ceramic bezel which will both be similar to a GMT. The speedmaster would offer you better variety.
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 03:49 PM   #16
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:

Excellent insights. Your level headed comments with respect to the hobby, especially the retrospective 'look back' at your motivations are really something to think about.

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 04:03 PM   #17
DGB
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thank you!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 06:24 PM   #18
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
OP follow JJs advice nothing more needs to be said.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 07:06 PM   #19
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra1023 View Post
Hey guys,

I want to start a watch collection with a variety of watches from different brands

Thanks!
Brandon

Watch styles and your taste will change over time, but there seems to be a few classics that rise above said changes.

) Submariner/Explorer
) Speedmaster Professional (original)
) Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso

IMO, an affordable and useable collection for a lifetime.

Old 5 May 2020, 07:15 PM   #20
bp1000
"TRF" Member

If you have to ask what to buy it isn’t a true collection.

You have to buy what you love, you buy with emotion.

Part of the enjoyment is the discovery. Just read, research, try and buy.

It doesn’t matter what you collect, chances are, some of the pieces you pick also have an emotional affect on others and therefore will hold or gain value. That’s a bonus.

On a side note, the fact that most decent watches hold their value if bought well is a slight comfort to spending so much money. To know that all you did is convert some numbers on a screen into something tangible and beautiful you can look at daily; know that you can always convert it back again to roughly the same amount.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 07:30 PM   #21
RLXFRM
Banned

Quote:

Beautiful write up..thank you sharing.
RLXFRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 08:44 PM   #22
Barra1023
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:

Thanks for this JJ. Not what I was expecting but definitely got me thinking!
Barra1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 08:50 PM   #23
Kirsty87
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date 36mm
Quote:

Well said
Kirsty87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 08:57 PM   #24
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Post #2 is a good 'un.

All I would add, or reiterate, in view of everything covered in post #2, is that it's your collection. It's not anyone else's collections. I could tell you what I would buy for my collection. But do you want to own your collection or my collection?

Get what you want when you can. Don't be impulsive, and always find some way of trying a watch on before you buy it, if you possibly can. I've bought some beautiful watches which are comparatively uncomfortable on my wrist and don't get worn much. I've bought two that just didn't sit right on my wrist, no matter how I adjust the bracelets. One went to a family member and the other I sold. I still regret selling it. I didn't buy it to sell it, it was a beautiful watch, but it was getting zero wrist time.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 09:19 PM   #25
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Key words: "somewhat hold their value over time"

If that's the case then be prepared to shell out alot money. My advice is to not focus just on Rolex. You will be cheating yourself.

Omega makes some great watches. A Speedmaster Moon Watch is a must for every collector. Their Seamaster line has pretty cool models as well and are every bit as good if not better than any Rolex Sub or Sea Dweller.

Don't discount Seiko, Steinhart and other lesser makers easily. Best part about these watches is if they stop working, just buy another one! They are meant to be used and enjoyed.

I've enjoyed every single watch I've owned. I've enjoyed more non-Rolex watches than I care to recall.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 09:24 PM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'd get the PepC with your LVc, will probably be a wait so for other brands the Omega SMP and Breitling Premier.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 09:26 PM   #27
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Well I’ve seen posts calling one watch a “collection” so I guess you already have one ...

Seriously though, it’s a fun hobby and really doesn’t require overthinking or deep pockets.

Buy what you like and if the love fades, move it on simple as that. Value is an often overused term IMHO.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 09:33 PM   #28
MillyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 126710BLNR
Quote:

Really well said, and a very thought provoking reply. Every relatively new person to luxury watches (like myself) should read this.
MillyS is offline   Reply With Quote