The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 February 2023, 06:53 AM   #1
mrmahdi
"TRF" Member

Perfect 0.0 Accuracy After One Month: Rolex Amazingness

Greetings,

I’ve written several posts on the accuracy of my Datejust 41 (3235 movement) and I decided to see how accurate my watch can be after a month.

After 30 days, it is 0.0 accuracy. Not a second gained or lost.

To be transparent, when I wear my watch, it can gain anywhere from 0.3-1 second a day (which is absolutely amazing). At night, in its resting position, it often wipes away what the watch lost during the day. Hence, after a month, perfect timing.

I mentioned in previous posts that I had my watch regulated by a watchmaker after the RSC failed (twice) here in Beverly Hills in making it accurate. I do believe with regulation and resting positions, the watch can get as close to 0.0 accuracy or even attain it like I did.
mrmahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 06:54 AM   #2
MinMay
Banned

That’s great.

Rolex >> patek.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 06:56 AM   #3
swexlin
"TRF" Member

My 32xx experience:

2021 DJ41: much like yours
2021 DSSD: was -1 or 2 from new, until 2 weeks ago, when it started slowing dramatically, just sent in to RSC NY (they received yesterday and I'm waiting to hear from them)
2023 SD43: so far, knock wood, about -1/+1, still pretty new
swexlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 06:59 AM   #4
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
3 watches now with the 3235. All have started our spot on and 2 have gotten way out of spec around the 1 year mark (losing 10+ sec/day). 1 of those watches has been back to RSC twice in 4 years. The third I’ve had for 4 months now and it was spot on first month and now at -1.25 sec a day. I’ll just wait until way out of spec and send it in like the others.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 07:16 AM   #5
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Have had tremendous experience with 9 different 32xx.
Old 11 February 2023, 09:59 AM   #6
mrmahdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swexlin View Post
My 32xx experience:

2021 DJ41: much like yours
2021 DSSD: was -1 or 2 from new, until 2 weeks ago, when it started slowing dramatically, just sent in to RSC NY (they received yesterday and I'm waiting to hear from them)
2023 SD43: so far, knock wood, about -1/+1, still pretty new
Hopefully the service from the RSC in NYC will be a lot better than the one I had in Beverly Hills. From what I heard, the RSCs in Dallas and NYC are pretty good.

Just some advice: once you get watch back from the RSC, if it’s running 2 seconds or more a day, it can be regulated to be better. Although two seconds a day is “technically within specs” (and for many people that’s perfectly fine), if you want better accuracy, newer movements like the 3235 can attain extreme accuracy. Either you can go back to the RSC or go to a reliable watchmaker to regulate it.
Old 11 February 2023, 10:18 AM   #7
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Was it ticking?
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 10:48 AM   #8
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Was it ticking?
Harsh
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 11:00 AM   #9
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
Have had tremendous experience with 9 different 32xx.
Could be you didn’t wear one long enough for a bad one?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 11:05 AM   #10
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

My over a year old now LVc is at 0 seconds in almost 1.5 months now and counting. No problem with over 7 different 32 series movements. These movements don’t deviate much if at all in varying resting positions. Maybe I can squeeze 0.25-0.50 seconds a night in their most extreme overnight resting position.

Here was an earlier pic.
Old 11 February 2023, 11:42 AM   #11
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
Harsh
Hey! 0 seconds deviation can mean it wasn’t working. You know it. I know it. The Forum knows it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 11:45 AM   #12
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Could be you didn’t wear one long enough for a bad one?
I mean over a year, who knows.
Old 11 February 2023, 12:18 PM   #13
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
126610LN

Averages:

wear + dial down overnight = +1s
Wear + Crown up = -1s
Wear + Dial up = 0.5s

Play around with position = 0.0s

Only 5 months old ,so Master 3135 will be the judge .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 12:30 PM   #14
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I know some of you guys demand precision out of your fine Rolex watches. I’m really only concerned I can set them each time I wear one and it will continue to run and tell me what time it is until I take it off. Less stress for sure.
Old 11 February 2023, 12:32 PM   #15
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmahdi View Post
Greetings,

I’ve written several posts on the accuracy of my Datejust 41 (3235 movement) and I decided to see how accurate my watch can be after a month.

After 30 days, it is 0.0 accuracy. Not a second gained or lost.

To be transparent, when I wear my watch, it can gain anywhere from 0.3-1 second a day (which is absolutely amazing). At night, in its resting position, it often wipes away what the watch lost during the day. Hence, after a month, perfect timing.

I mentioned in previous posts that I had my watch regulated by a watchmaker after the RSC failed (twice) here in Beverly Hills in making it accurate. I do believe with regulation and resting positions, the watch can get as close to 0.0 accuracy or even attain it like I did.

My DJ 41 is running the same as yours. Just confirmed it this afternoon. Running great. And I really love wearing the 41. So comfortable.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 01:16 PM   #16
mrmahdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
My DJ 41 is running the same as yours. Just confirmed it this afternoon. Running great. And I really love wearing the 41. So comfortable.
The Datejust 41 for many people can serve as their one watch collection since it’s so versatile. No wonder why is the best selling model Rolex there is.
Old 11 February 2023, 01:20 PM   #17
mrmahdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
126610LN

Averages:

wear + dial down overnight = +1s
Wear + Crown up = -1s
Wear + Dial up = 0.5s

Play around with position = 0.0s

Only 5 months old ,so Master 3135 will be the judge .
Very similar to what you have. During the day, I can lose up to a second. Resting position at night, gain a second. So everyday it ends in a watch.

Over extended period, some of my quartz watches can lose or gain time. So a Rolex watch can be as accurate if not more accurate than a quartz if worn and rested in the same pattern for an extended period of time.
Old 11 February 2023, 01:26 PM   #18
mrmahdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
My over a year old now LVc is at 0 seconds in almost 1.5 months now and counting. No problem with over 7 different 32 series movements. These movements don’t deviate much if at all in varying resting positions. Maybe I can squeeze 0.25-0.50 seconds a night in their most extreme overnight resting position.

Here was an earlier pic.
I really am impressed at the 32xx movements. I know early on many complained of so erratic issues that some of the watches were experiencing but for the most part, the movements are almost as accurate quartz or at least the Spring Drive movement in Grand Seiko watches.

I tell people that if you have a 32xx movement watch and you’re getting over 2 seconds a day, then get it regulated or even an overhauled if need be. If you get it back from a RSC and it’s getting right or a little over 2 seconds a day, go to an independent reliable watchmaker to get it regulated.
Old 11 February 2023, 02:06 PM   #19
Kenny G
"TRF" Member

Glad to hear your DJ 3235 is running great! I personally wouldn’t hesitate to buy a 32xx. Your watch is running even better than my 31xx movements.

I’ve now been wearing my sub for almost ~2 months straight and I’m +5 sec (3130 movement). My 3135 DJ seems to run a bit better than that over the same timespan.

It’s interesting to me that the +2/-2 sec/day rating could mean that after a month you could be running +1min or -1min and still be considered within tolerance but the reality (in my experience) is that these watches run so much more accurate than that if worn daily.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 08:16 PM   #20
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Just because a 32xx watch runs very accurately it does NOT mean that there isn't a problem with its movement.

It has been shown so many times that the caliber amplitudes, especially in the 3 vertical positions, can drop below specs and the watch still keeps very good time but then, after a little longer, timekeeping goes really bad.

Two concrete examples: an absolute timekeeping of +0.1 and 0.0 was easily achievable over several months for these two 32xx watches:

BUT, both watches (shown above) had the 32xx "virus" already at that time and were sent to RSC due to very low amplitudes in vertical positions, i.e., less than 200 degrees after full winding!

@OP, do one simple experiment: get your watch measured on a timegrapher and post the results in this thread.
saxo3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 09:08 PM   #21
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
I know some of you guys demand precision out of your fine Rolex watches. I’m really only concerned I can set them each time I wear one and it will continue to run and tell me what time it is until I take it off. Less stress for sure.
Perhaps this depends on the size of one's collection or wearing pattern. If wearing for only a week the accuracy would be a non-issue (eg. wear a different one each week.) Over a month it would be more interesting.

Quote:
I really am impressed at the 32xx movements. I know early on many complained of so erratic issues that some of the watches were experiencing but for the most part, the movements are almost as accurate quartz or at least the Spring Drive movement in Grand Seiko watches.

I tell people that if you have a 32xx movement watch and you’re getting over 2 seconds a day, then get it regulated or even an overhauled if need be. If you get it back from a RSC and it’s getting right or a little over 2 seconds a day, go to an independent reliable watchmaker to get it regulated.
My experience as well. If the watch is outside the +/-2s spec, get it checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
Just because a 32xx watch runs very accurately it does NOT mean that there isn't a problem with its movement.

It has been shown so many times that the caliber amplitudes, especially in the 3 vertical positions, can drop below specs and the watch still keeps very good time but then, after a little longer, timekeeping goes really bad.<snip>
Is the low amplitude merely a symptom? The watch will certainly fail after such a discovery? If it's still accurate.... then why does it matter? (Just wondering)
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 10:39 PM   #22
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Perhaps this depends on the size of one's collection or wearing pattern. If wearing for only a week the accuracy would be a non-issue (eg. wear a different one each week.) Over a month it would be more interesting.
Interesting idea. When I bought my JC Deep Blue in 2015, I didn’t take it off for weeks, maybe even months. However, I don’t recall noticing any change in accuracy but maybe it’s because I’m not obsessed with that?? You make a good point and I think I will try to wear them longer and watch them a little closer. Thanks
Old 11 February 2023, 10:39 PM   #23
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Is the low amplitude merely a symptom? The watch will certainly fail after such a discovery? If it's still accurate.... then why does it matter? (Just wondering)
Good questions

Low 32xx amplitudes are the key observable to determine if a movement has caught the virus already or not yet.

A 32xx will not fail after such a 'discovery', but the owner will know that his watch will develop serious timekeeping problems in the coming weeks or months.

It does not matter when you discover it but you can be sure that the movement is sick (or not).

Anyhow, I do not want to spoil any accuracy party! But to say "my watch is 0.0 after a month" (or a week) is meaningless because it also depends when exactly you are reading it.

If the OP would have shown a Watch Tracker result then we all would see that his DJ41 (3235) is oscillating around 0.0, which is absolutely normal due to positional rate differences (as he described in post 1).

Look at my graph for two 32xx watches in post 20. They showed this excellent timekeeping but were already sick.

Old 12 February 2023, 02:08 AM   #24
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

What I don't understand is that Rolex states +/-2sec/day after casing under laboratory conditions, but the green seal means it's COSC certified to -4sec to +6sec or up to 10sec per day which in their [Rolex] eyes is an extraordinary requirement. So I just don't understand the issue with if the watch is running within these specifications as stated?
Old 12 February 2023, 11:35 AM   #25
mrmahdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
Glad to hear your DJ 3235 is running great! I personally wouldn’t hesitate to buy a 32xx. Your watch is running even better than my 31xx movements.

I’ve now been wearing my sub for almost ~2 months straight and I’m +5 sec (3130 movement). My 3135 DJ seems to run a bit better than that over the same timespan.

It’s interesting to me that the +2/-2 sec/day rating could mean that after a month you could be running +1min or -1min and still be considered within tolerance but the reality (in my experience) is that these watches run so much more accurate than that if worn daily.
I never had a watch with the 3135 movement but I keep hearing good things about it. But the accuracy of the 3235 movement just amazes me and I suggest you get one. If you do get one and it’s over the superlative chronometer specs, a regulation will do the job. The main issue with regulations that it’s a hit or miss at times and when it is a miss, you gotta go back to the watchmaker to tweak it a bit until it’s right.
Old 12 February 2023, 11:48 AM   #26
mrmahdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good questions

Low 32xx amplitudes are the key observable to determine if a movement has caught the virus already or not yet.

A 32xx will not fail after such a 'discovery', but the owner will know that his watch will develop serious timekeeping problems in the coming weeks or months.

It does not matter when you discover it but you can be sure that the movement is sick (or not).

Anyhow, I do not want to spoil any accuracy party! But to say "my watch is 0.0 after a month" (or a week) is meaningless because it also depends when exactly you are reading it.

If the OP would have shown a Watch Tracker result then we all would see that his DJ41 (3235) is oscillating around 0.0, which is absolutely normal due to positional rate differences (as he described in post 1).

Look at my graph for two 32xx watches in post 20. They showed this excellent timekeeping but were already sick.

Prior to having my watch regulated by a watchmaker, I actually had my watch serviced TWICE by the RSC in Beverly Hills in a year. The watch is from 2019.

Any amplitude issue was apparently resolved by the overhaul and the Watch ended up being around 2 seconds fast a day (other days faster).

I didn’t like that so I went and got it regulated by a watchmaker and it has been consistently close to 0.0 ever since.

Now regarding the known issues of the 3235 movement, I acknowledge that (since I had an overhaul done at the RSC). When my watch was being regulated, I was there with the watchmaker while he was tweaking it to my satisfaction. He ran it on a timegrapher and stated it was running fast (of course) but I asked him if he could make it half as fast (thinking it will be at least around one second a day). He did that but to my fortune, it was closer to less than half a second a day.
Old 12 February 2023, 04:34 PM   #27
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Thanks OP. In another thread you mentioned using Watch Tracker. How does its graph look for the 30 days of your DJ41 which you present in this thread? A simple WT screenshot as in post 20?
Old 12 February 2023, 07:18 PM   #28
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsthetime? View Post
What I don't understand is that Rolex states +/-2sec/day after casing under laboratory conditions, but the green seal means it's COSC certified to -4sec to +6sec or up to 10sec per day which in their [Rolex] eyes is an extraordinary requirement. So I just don't understand the issue with if the watch is running within these specifications as stated?

Source: Rolex.com (12.02.2023)
Old 13 February 2023, 05:30 AM   #29
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Source: Rolex.com (12.02.2023)
I can read, smart ass. Then why the COSC seal, to cover their asses?
Old 13 February 2023, 05:50 AM   #30
swexlin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hopefully the service from the RSC in NYC will be a lot better than the one I had in Beverly Hills. From what I heard, the RSCs in Dallas and NYC are pretty good.

Just some advice: once you get watch back from the RSC, if it’s running 2 seconds or more a day, it can be regulated to be better. Although two seconds a day is “technically within specs” (and for many people that’s perfectly fine), if you want better accuracy, newer movements like the 3235 can attain extreme accuracy. Either you can go back to the RSC or go to a reliable watchmaker to regulate it.
Thank you, good to know.
swexlin is offline   Reply With Quote