The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 4 January 2020, 01:14 PM   #61
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I am sorry to hear this happened.

File the reports, post pictures of the stolen watch, list the serial number and the license plate number. All this will help get the story into the search engines. Report it to Rolex USA - they will help get it on the stolen watch datatbase.

I will let you know how we caught the burglars who took 4 Rolexes plus jewelry/valuables in a $250K heist at my home - TV News.

Get with the detective assigned to your case and try to have them cooperate in a story like “brazen daylight hijack inside bank”. The bank video will be the hook. Call each broadcast news desk yourself and say you have a “crimestoppers” piece that needs a tip from the public. Maybe even consider a reward. If this sounds kitschy, maybe so...but clearly it is a public service if you turn your dismay into action.

In my case, the local police leadership members were reluctant. I was hitting up pawn shops and many resources for the first week after the burglary.

But when an adjacent jurisdiction had an eerily similar incident, they came through and cooperated. Local station ran the piece with surveillance video and within a week the police caught them. I recovered about $50K worth (only 1 Rolex out of the 4 but many sentimental pieces of jewelry).

It took a lot of coordination but I was lucky the detective himself liked the plan. 1 convicted already, the other awaiting trial with no bond (repeat offender).

I wish you much success in a recovery - it has happened here with other members. Yes, it is slim chance but always worth trying if you’re up for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Its kinda sad that you have to run your own campaign through media to get your property back, but that is what it takes to get attention, otherwise it just gets bunched together with other xxxx thefts the police deal with..
Old 4 January 2020, 01:15 PM   #62
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Terrible. Be sure to post your serial as text so google crawlers pick it up.
Old 4 January 2020, 01:20 PM   #63
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Nail the punks. Hopefully the bank is helpful and the police can move quickly. This is like the second or third time something like this has happened at a bank!

Last thread, the police caught the thief but unfortunately not able to recover the watch.
Old 4 January 2020, 01:23 PM   #64
Hotrod297
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Wow, I'm currently in talks to do a FTF in a few weeks. Now I'm reevaluating the transaction.

I'm very sorry about your situation.
Old 4 January 2020, 01:40 PM   #65
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I feel for your loss and it sounds like you took prudent steps to protect your transaction.
Do update us if the thief is caught. Hope the watch is recovered.
I sell my watches to ADs. I get less money than in a private sale, but I have peace of mind. Not rubbing it in, just something to think about for all.
Old 4 January 2020, 01:52 PM   #66
Soul_Cal
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear what happened. Where did you post your watch for sale? Maybe they can trace him through his IP if contacted through a forum.
Old 4 January 2020, 01:58 PM   #67
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Its kinda sad that you have to run your own campaign through media to get your property back, but that is what it takes to get attention, otherwise it just gets bunched together with other xxxx thefts the police deal with..
It's even sadder that property thefts are basically not investigated, at least in LA and other cities in CA. That is why the thief didn't care about being on a bunch of cameras. Even if caught he will not do time.
Old 4 January 2020, 01:58 PM   #68
s_haverford
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO,OP-36 White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I totally think it’s worth running it by local publications and getting traction. I live in the area and know that communities run right in Marina.

Never the less, I do want to send my utmost support and well wishes for getting the watch back. People like that need to be brought to justice, to put it lightly.
Old 4 January 2020, 02:01 PM   #69
PNBLWZD
"TRF" Member

I live in the Marina area and sorry/surprised to hear this happened.

Which bank location was it at? Depending where it happened, most of the Marina law enforcement is handled by LA County sheriffs office at the end of Fiji Way. If it occurred East of Lincoln Blvd you’ll probably be dealing with LAPD Pacific Division.

Just a thought: There is a pawn shop in Santa Monica on 4th St I believe that always has used Rolex on Craigslist. Maybe check with them to keep an eye out for it. Good luck.
Old 4 January 2020, 02:05 PM   #70
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNBLWZD View Post
I live in the Marina area and sorry/surprised to hear this happened.

Which bank location was it at? Depending where it happened, most of the Marina law enforcement is handled by LA County sheriffs office at the end of Fiji Way. If it occurred East of Lincoln Blvd you’ll probably be dealing with LAPD Pacific Division.

Just a thought: There is a pawn shop in Santa Monica on 4th St I believe that always has used Rolex on Craigslist. Maybe check with them to keep an eye out for it. Good luck.
It was at the Chase Bank on mindanao way just east of Lincoln. The cops were very cool.
Old 4 January 2020, 02:13 PM   #71
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Thankfully you're ok! My fingers are crossed that they catch the bastard soon and hopefully recover your watch. Albeit a horrific situation I'm thankful it wasn't worse as it easily could've been.

Please keep us posted and I'll continue to hope they somehow recover your watch.
Old 4 January 2020, 02:15 PM   #72
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Undecided
Very sorry to hear that. I hope you recover your watch.
Old 4 January 2020, 02:17 PM   #73
mrs_LA
2024 Pledge Member

Very crazy. I do a lot of face to face at banks, thinking it's the safe option. One more reason to never let your guard down. Sorry it happened to you and I hope they catch the crook.
Old 4 January 2020, 02:18 PM   #74
sickened1

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
Which bank was it? I live nearby Marina del Rey and always go riding bike there on the weekends. Also if you want, just PM me the make/model of the car and the license plate number in case i ever come across it.
Old 4 January 2020, 02:23 PM   #75
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Sorry that this happened to you, makes me sad and mad. But thank you for sharing the incident. This helps all of us to learn about these types of events so we can improve the way we conduct business out there.
Old 4 January 2020, 02:24 PM   #76
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Crazy. I'm sorry op for the experience... And am very glad you weren't hurt in the process.

I do ftfs regularly at banks and haven't had an issue... But I usually vet the buyers with request for ID. I think what this really discourages is cash transactions. Buyers should wire the funds/transfer the funds first with sellers that have firm reputations. Then it's just a matter of delivery and checking the watch out.

Once again, I'm happy you are unscathed except being a bit mentally shaken up. It's just a watch, not worth your health over.
Old 4 January 2020, 02:27 PM   #77
Atone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Crazy. I'm sorry op for the experience... And am very glad you weren't hurt in the process.

I do ftfs regularly at banks and haven't had an issue... But I usually vet the buyers with request for ID. I think what this really discourages is cash transactions. Buyers should wire the funds/transfer the funds first with sellers that have firm reputations. Then it's just a matter of delivery and checking the watch out.

Once again, I'm happy you are unscathed except being a bit mentally shaken up. It's just a watch, not worth your health over.
Agreed. It’s just a thing. We can always get more things. This could have ended with a much less favorable outcome.
Old 4 January 2020, 02:32 PM   #78
cvo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 117610LN 116610LN
No worries, criminals are dumb, this guys be caught soon. It is just a matter of time. It is not if he will be caught, it is when?
Old 4 January 2020, 02:39 PM   #79
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD, DJ, SubC Date
This is really awful, and I'm sorry you had to go through this. These days, a FTF is a pretty dicey and risky proposition. Was the watch insured? If so, then you may be able to recover from the insurance company. Make sure you file a police report, pronto.
Old 4 January 2020, 02:50 PM   #80
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

I’m so pleased you are ok. Such an awful feeling. I hope the criminal is caught is dealt with by the authorities.
Old 4 January 2020, 02:54 PM   #81
Atone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbly View Post
I’m so pleased you are ok. Such an awful feeling. I hope the criminal is caught is dealt with by the authorities.
Thank you. That’s the important thing. I appreciate the kindness.
Old 4 January 2020, 02:55 PM   #82
Lawrence of Alabama
"TRF" Member

Very sorry for your loss and since so many have asked, im assuming no insurance? Im just trying to give advice (not make you feel worse) If you have other watches insure them asap as in immediately. And do not do it under your homeowners policy. You must do it separately under a new policy. I pay $160 a year for two submariners. Everything is covered including " mysterious disappearance " damage, etc. good luck in getting your watch back. And im glad you didnt get hurt.
Old 4 January 2020, 02:57 PM   #83
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
Many good suggestions in the prior posts, so there's little I can add. I will say that I hope the guys are caught and that you get your watch back. I hope the perps don't get just a slap on the wrist. I am sorry that this happened to you. I have done only 1 FTF deal at a local mall, but I knew the guy.
Old 4 January 2020, 02:58 PM   #84
Andad

Watch: A few.
Now we have to rethink a bank as being a safe place For these type of transactions.

Unbelievable.

Keep us updated and good luck.

Old 4 January 2020, 03:07 PM   #85
pbubsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
I thought I was a little over the top conducting thorough open source research before I meet someone ftf. I guess not. Sorry to hear about how that went down for you.
Old 4 January 2020, 03:15 PM   #86
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duey View Post
Sorry that sucks.
One more reason not to do a FTF.

On the last watch I had up everybody wanted to do a FTF but when I told them that they would have to bring cash with them to the bank, no transfer, and that we would verify the cash before they could see the watch. I said it had to be safe for both parties. All of the potential buyers who wanted the FTF only seemed to vanish ...
I guess that begs the question. What is the safest way to conduct a transaction online and what are the pitfalls? Is there anything that's almost failsafe?

Or if you do a FTF what is the best way to do it?
Old 4 January 2020, 03:23 PM   #87
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
hope you can get back your watch from that stupid robber.
Old 4 January 2020, 03:29 PM   #88
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Oh my what is this world coming to? I already checked out of internet and cable news because of the depressing headlines, not here too!

OP this was really unfortunate I'm sorry to hear about the loss. Scary thing I'm glad you were not hurt the only silver lining hear. Who would have thought F2F isn't even safe in a bank?
Old 4 January 2020, 03:32 PM   #89
Grace
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear this. I hope he gets caught
Old 4 January 2020, 03:32 PM   #90
Ssunnylee24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Man I am pissed that this happened.
Same happened to my friend last summer with his DRSD at a local watch shop in SD, it was a quick grab and run. He was caught and now locked up but the watch is still missing and police cant do much.
What does he look like?
Closed Thread