The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 6 November 2021, 07:35 AM   #1
K_L
"TRF" Member

Help please!!

Hi--I`m a new member although I have searched thru the Rolex Forum a few times looking for someone to service my Rolex which I purchased in 1981. In the past 40 years I haven`t worn the watch much but now that I am retired I want to start wearing it more often. However there`s a 2 problems I now have with it:
#1>>The watch that I have been regularly wearing [a Citizen] was too loose on my wrist so 2 months ago I took it to the local jewelry store & they moved a link from it so a few days later I took my Rolex there because it also is too loose on my wrist. They said that it also needed to have a link removed but they were not able to because the screw [or pin] was 'frozen' & would not move. They suggested leaving it with them for 48 hours so they could soak it in a solution that they hoped would loosen the screw. Unfortunately that didn`t work--and they`re wondering if the screw had been 'super glued' by the tech who serviced my watch back in 1997!?
So they then suggested that they send it to their watch repairman who is 'Rolex authorized' so I agreed with that. They called earlier today [2 months later] to tell me that the repairman also could not get the screw loosened which also is disappointing. Do you know if there is a way to get the screw loosened so that a link can be removed?
#2>>And my 2nd problem is that it looks like the clasp seems to now be in the opposite position that it should be. As I said, I haven`t worn the watch in a long time but when I snapped it on my wrist this afternoon at the jewelry store it seemed like the clasp was in the wrong & opposite position--it seems like it is completely facing in the opposite direction. Here is a picture for you to see--is the clasp in the right position, facing correctly or is it in the wrong position & needs to turned 180*??
Well it looks like I am unable to attach pictures [because I am a new member & also because the picture files are too large] so I will try to explain how the clasp on the bracelet is positioned:
With the clasp released/opened & with the watch & bracelet laying flat ona flat surface, & with the watch crown pointing at 3 o`clock [east] just like it sits on your wrist, the clasp on the bracelet is pointing down towards 6 o`clock/pointing 'south'. Shouldn`t the clasp being pointing in the opposite direction--straight up ie: 'north' towards 12 o`clock??
I hope you can help me with these 2 problems--any advice from you will be greatly appreciated! Thank you again for any help & advice you can give to me!
K_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2021, 07:37 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Anybody can attach a photo using the paperclip attachment icon. All it needs is to meet the file size requirements of the file type.

New members cannot post links.
Old 6 November 2021, 08:14 AM   #3
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Sounds as if the bracelet was removed and installed bakcwrads. Heh.
I actually did that with one of my Rolex to get a better fit (VERY small arm here, and I was out of removable links on the bracelet.)

You may be best off sending the watch to Phillip Ridley in AZ. He is a CW21 watchmaker and a well-known expert in older Rolex. He will pre-discuss your service needs with you.
I would not trust my older Rolex service with anyone else.

Phillip@ridleywatchmakers.com
Ridleywatchmakers.com

OH! And Welcome to the Forum !!!!

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2021, 08:31 AM   #4
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
Sounds as if the bracelet was removed and installed bakcwrads. Heh.
I actually did that with one of my Rolex to get a better fit (VERY small arm here, and I was out of removable links on the bracelet.)

You may be best off sending the watch to Phillip Ridley in AZ. He is a CW21 watchmaker and a well-known expert in older Rolex. He will pre-discuss your service needs with you.
I would not trust my older Rolex service with anyone else.

Phillip@ridleywatchmakers.com
Ridleywatchmakers.com

OH! And Welcome to the Forum !!!!
Yes, did that myself the first time I took the bracelet off. And yes, recommend Phillip too. And welcome to the forum!
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2021, 09:09 AM   #5
K_L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Anybody can attach a photo using the paperclip attachment icon. All it needs is to meet the file size requirements of the file type.
New members cannot post links.
Yes thank you! I did try to resize the 2 files as they were too large but I still couldn`t get it small enough! UGH!
Old 6 November 2021, 09:16 AM   #6
K_L
"TRF" Member

Thank you Mr. 214270 Explorer! And yes that is what I was thinking--the bracelet was re-installed backwards! I was beginning to think that I was crazy but I feel certain that the clasp is facing now the opposite/wrong direction--it just felt strange when I first put it back on earlier this afternoon! Thank you again so much--I will contact Phillip Ridley about this.
Old 6 November 2021, 09:18 AM   #7
K_L
"TRF" Member

Thank you also Mr. Time Lord2! This is my 4th post now! 6 more more & maybe I can post pictures of my watch & the way the clasp now sits!

Post #5--I hope that I am not breaking the rules just to increase my 'post count'--I just want to post a picture of my watch so those here can see it.

It is a DateJust with the Jubilee bracelet.

My younger brother [RIP] bought one first--his was fancy w/ the little diamonds for each hour along w/ a 'champagne' colored face.

I used to 'kid' him about his beautiful DateJust, telling him that the 'fake Rolex`s' had the same color face as his Rolex.

I probably shouldn`t have done that ['kid' him about his]. He was very happy when I bought mine [which has a white face].

Mine is #160133--I still have the Rolex catalog that I picked mine from.

Last edited by Tools; 25 November 2021 at 07:19 AM..
Old 6 November 2021, 09:29 AM   #8
K_L
"TRF" Member

OK--maybe now I can post the picture. Can you tell me if the clasp is backwards on it?

Old 6 November 2021, 09:34 AM   #9
K_L
"TRF" Member

I asked the people at the local jewelry store today if the clasp was in the wrong position & they said that it wasn`t but they are just an average 'neighborhood jewelry store' & are not an authorized Rolex retailer--the closest Rolex retailer to me is located about 60 miles away.
Old 25 November 2021, 06:03 AM   #10
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_L View Post
OK--maybe now I can post the picture. Can you tell me if the clasp is backwards on it?

It is backwards. Remove the bracelet from the case and reinstall the entire bracelet in the opposite direction.

When the watch is installed on your arm, the small projecting tab on the clasp should be facing <pointing toward> toward the 6 o'clock end of the watch case.

That way your right thumb/fingernail can easily pop open the clasp, as is 'normal' for watch configuration.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote