The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 3 November 2021, 01:44 AM   #1
orangeguy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 16710
Anyone buy a preowned from Shreve Crump & Low?

Hi All,
I was curious if anyone has purchased a preowned watch from Shreve Crump & Low in Boston? In particular, I was wondering if they represent the quality of the watch accurately.

Thanks for your help.
orangeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2021, 09:43 AM   #2
CTech
"TRF" Member

Are you wanting to know about the service in the store in Boston or are you thinking about the certified used watches on their website?

It's a long time since I had anything to do with Shreve, Crump and Low but at the time the salespeople in the store were not really interested in the used watches they had and knew little about them.

I know nothing about their website watches, but it is possible that they contract out that part of the business to somebody else, such as Bob's Watches or Tourneau, and then the accuracy of the grading will be similar to that of the contractor.
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2021, 01:44 PM   #3
orangeguy
2024 Pledge Member

I’m referring to their preowned selection on the website. They characterized a watch I’m interested in as “original condition” and therefore not serviced. They did note the strap was replaced, but somehow the original deployant clasp is missing. It just raises some questions in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 November 2021, 08:31 AM   #4
CTech
"TRF" Member

My opinion is that if you cannot go and see the watch personally then it is not worth getting involved with them.

All on-line watch sales have an element of risk involved, because unless you are dealing with a "trusted seller" you don't know how accurate their grading system is and whether their assessment of condition coincides with your expectations.

There are very few watches that are worth taking that risk (again in my opinion), especially ones where there are some doubts.

Questions about this particular one would be around how do they know it is original condition and not serviced. Have they seen the watch every day? Does it belong to a staff member and is therefore well known to them?

Also, if the strap has been replaced and the original clasp is missing, why does it still warrant a description of “original condition”?

As with most sellers, their description is the one that is most attractive to them and it doesn't necessarily relate to the true condition of the watch.

Ask on the vintage forum about “original condition” and you'll get several different opinions, but most of the posters will say that nothing should have been replaced on the watch if it really is “original condition”.
Old 24 November 2021, 04:36 PM   #5
orangeguy
2024 Pledge Member

So, I did go in and see the watch. In general, the watch was in great shape. However, I never got to see papers, box or any accessories as “they are at the other store.” Huh? I made an appointment with you to see the watch and you don’t have everything there? Overall, just a bad vibe, very pushy sales people and prices that, in my opinion, don’t align to the merchandise, at least in this case. I won’t be buying anything from them, ever.

“It’s a hot watch market, so you need to take that into consideration when you come in,” they tell me. Fine, but it likely will not be forever. When that time rolls around, you are going to be sorry you don’t have customers who budget to make these kinds of purchases.

Two thumbs down, way down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 November 2021, 09:11 AM   #6
CTech
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the update. It seems that little has changed from when I last had dealings with them.