The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 November 2021, 10:00 PM   #1
mjm700
"TRF" Member

What kind of watch buyer are you?

1. Are you an impulse buyer? Do you see a reference and focus like a laser until you have it?
  2. Do you research to death, discuss your options on the forum for months (or years), and labor over the decision?
  3. Somewhere in the middle? Have a few watches on your radar and weigh your options, timing and which to move on depending on the right opportunity?
  4. None of the above?
I've realized that I am definitely in the impulse category. I'm easily bored and if I find something that I like I will research it like crazy, and will focus on it until I have it (which is usually within a few weeks at the most). It has definitely led to a couple of mistakes.

I've also realized that on a few occasions, when I couldn't secure a piece, I was able to easily move on and really didn't look back - so probably wasn't that important after all.

mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 10:26 PM   #2
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Old 28 November 2021, 10:38 PM   #3
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Dormant
Old 28 November 2021, 10:54 PM   #4
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am a buy what I want, when I want and under some constraints for as much or little as I want. It has always been about the watches and sometimes I buy a watch because I have always wanted it and know that it will not stick in the collection. I always try to figure out the values so I do not get crushed on a flip out but sometimes I will buy it anyway. I see this watch hobby as just that, fun but not free.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 11:00 PM   #5
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 11:35 PM   #6
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I am a buy what I want, when I want and under some constraints for as much or little as I want. It has always been about the watches and sometimes I buy a watch because I have always wanted it and know that it will not stick in the collection. I always try to figure out the values so I do not get crushed on a flip out but sometimes I will buy it anyway. I see this watch hobby as just that, fun but not free.
Well said. Must agree.

But I too, similar to stated above, am dormant.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 12:51 AM   #7
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

No other way to candy coat this...
I'm a mechanical timepiece slut. Could be a watch, or table clock, wall clock.....
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 02:34 AM   #8
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm normally like this but have been mostly dormant for about a year now.
Old 29 November 2021, 02:36 AM   #9
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
If I see what I like and it's in my price range and if the money is in the bank, I'll buy it then and there. If not, I'll keep saving.

I don't buy grey and I don't pay premiums, because, one, it's a matter of principle, two, the premium almost always puts the watch out of my price range, and three, my hobby is not driven by a sense of desperation.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 04:05 AM   #10
Bladeshot
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:

Yep. Well said. That’s me!
Old 29 November 2021, 04:12 AM   #11
C_sopkovich
"TRF" Member

Completely impulse buyer. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C_sopkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 05:59 AM   #12
rmlovett1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
⬆️⬆️⬆️ Me as well pretty much. I actually am trying to try most everything i think I’ll like in the rolex lineup, as well as PP, AP, Etc….
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 06:53 AM   #13
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I impulsively buy cheap watches and carefully research and buy more expensive ones.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 07:17 AM   #14
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Paul... Paging Paul.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 07:55 AM   #15
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
Old 29 November 2021, 10:56 AM   #16
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Impulse buyer, if my mind is set on one I get it the same day
Old 29 November 2021, 11:51 AM   #17
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date

I tend to fall into each of those depending on the year or whenever an itch occurs. Sometimes I will clear out an entire collection and have no watch at all.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 12:16 PM   #18
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post

I tend to fall into each of those depending on the year or whenever an itch occurs. Sometimes I will clear out an entire collection and have no watch at all.

Wow. Sounds like a lot of movement.

Happy to see i’m not alone with impulse buys. A few weeks ago i was dead set on adding an offshore to my collection. Not long after the AD showed me a PP 5905P. Was never on my radar but convinced myself to add it within a day. I did circulate a short post in the PP forum but if i want to be honest i was probably looking for some justification/support for what i had already decided…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 29 November 2021, 12:18 PM   #19
mjm700
"TRF" Member

For those who are currently dormant, is it a matter of not being too excited about anything right now, current market or wanting to sit out for awhile?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 29 November 2021, 12:53 PM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Definitely #3. Buying a watch is a big decision for me and I don’t enter into it lightly. I always go into owning a watch with the idea I’ll never sell it. It hasn’t always worked out that way, but I definitely put a lot of thought into it.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 08:21 PM   #21
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Bit of a mixed bag for me - I generally only target one at a time and I focus on that one having done my proper research making sure it's the right choice.

I always buy with the intention of keeping that watch forever so it's important for me to get it right.

Having said that, nothing right now is on my radar. I'll probably sit it out for a couple of years until my 40th and go for a much bigger purchase.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 08:49 PM   #22
Andy0331
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm700 View Post
For those who are currently dormant, is it a matter of not being too excited about anything right now, current market or wanting to sit out for awhile?
I'm largely dormant due to the market (although I do have a new watch on order). I just have an issue overpaying for items; at least the ridiculous premiums to get something "now" in the gray market. If boutiques and/or AD's are willing to order the watches I want, I'm willing to wait ~1yr, but most of the ones I've been in contact with are uninterested or can't get stock themselves.

I don't buy watches for investment purposes, but I do see them as a relative store of value and I have no faith that today's $100k+ 5711 won't be back to MSRP in 5 years or so. So while I'm willing to lose money from MSRP for my hobby, I'm unwilling to take a total bath on a current production watch that's been marked up 100+%. I'm patient and don't follow hype and frankly don't want the attention that a "hype" watch would bring to my wrist either.
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 08:54 PM   #23
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm700 View Post
  1. Are you an impulse buyer? Do you see a reference and focus like a laser until you have it?
  2. Do you research to death, discuss your options on the forum for months (or years), and labor over the decision?
  3. Somewhere in the middle? Have a few watches on your radar and weigh your options, timing and which to move on depending on the right opportunity?
  4. None of the above?
I've realized that I am definitely in the impulse category. I'm easily bored and if I find something that I like I will research it like crazy, and will focus on it until I have it (which is usually within a few weeks at the most). It has definitely led to a couple of mistakes.

I've also realized that on a few occasions, when I couldn't secure a piece, I was able to easily move on and really didn't look back - so probably wasn't that important after all.

I think option 1 describes 95% of this forum.

I am 3.
xrole is online now   Reply With Quote