The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which one should be sold? 124060 or 14060M
Sell 14060M 169 49.27%
Sell 124060 174 50.73%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 November 2021, 01:44 AM   #91
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
The pros of your M series seems to outshine the other, considering it’s already been your daily.

I’ve never magnetized mine. I’m curious how you or others on the thread have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 04:08 AM   #92
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post
1st off DD40s are allocated and cannot be ordered at any AD that is in my area. Secondly with the watches I have I think I know how not to burn my relationship with my AD. Third why don’t you read the thread before posting. Your condescending remarks are unwarranted. Did you just gloss over the part where I was the only person to offer help if he actually wanted to keep both watches? Right… you only post what you fits your narrative.

So you think the best advice is to sell his new watch because he can magically walk in and get another? I’m sorry I didn’t know Rolex ADs are now giving multiple SS sports pieces of the same watch now.

My narrative?

No. Not at all.

It’s not about whether the OP can repurchase his new watch or not. That wasn’t the OP’s narrative. That was yours.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 04:19 AM   #93
Kyle3130
"TRF" Member

Watch: FXD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferyasher View Post
and the answer is......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferyasher View Post
OP, any decision yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Haze~ View Post
Is anyone else dying to know what’s going on here? Lol

Sorry for the suspense. I have been deliberating for awhile but haven’t gotten to the point where I want to just “flip a coin” yet. I’ve been talking to dealers and even my ADs and they have all encouraged me to try and keep both if I can. There are ways to pay for the things I need to take care of like credit cards but I just hate using them. The sale of either watch will cover all necessary expenses. Every time I lean to one side, I go back to the other. I’ve been alternating wrist time to try and help make a decision but it’s no use. I love them both and would love to keep both but I really enjoyed life as a one watch guy with no debt.
Old 17 November 2021, 04:22 AM   #94
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Keep the five digit, you can replace the 124060, and maybe after the hype has died down a little. I think you'll regret getting older one at some point, I know I have when I've felt the financial pinch and have liquidated....

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 06:41 AM   #95
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle3130 View Post
Sorry for the suspense. I have been deliberating for awhile but haven’t gotten to the point where I want to just “flip a coin” yet. I’ve been talking to dealers and even my ADs and they have all encouraged me to try and keep both if I can. There are ways to pay for the things I need to take care of like credit cards but I just hate using them. The sale of either watch will cover all necessary expenses. Every time I lean to one side, I go back to the other. I’ve been alternating wrist time to try and help make a decision but it’s no use. I love them both and would love to keep both but I really enjoyed life as a one watch guy with no debt.

Well, since these expenses are necessary, hopefully.

There are several ways to look at it. The M series you have the least in and you can profit more money if you sell it to do what you need to do.

The 6 digit, though not my preference is technically the better watch, on paper. With more invested when you bought it and the M series fetching a disproportionate amount second hand, maybe keeping the 6 digit is the better move.

If life happens and the alternative is credit debt, I’d move the one that would fetch me the most profit between the two, as they are so similar. But, this is an emotional hobby. It makes little sense.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 07:20 AM   #96
jswing
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060/124270/BB54
I've had multiple 14060Ms, and currently have a 124060, which was my first "new from an AD" Rolex. I personally would keep the 124060, partly because I've had it since new, but mainly because it's objectively a better watch in every way. Especially the bracelet.
jswing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 08:27 AM   #97
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
I don’t own the 124060, but I’ve tried it on and think it’s magnificent. I sold my 14060m and don’t miss it, personally, though I acknowledge it’s an excellent watch.

Between the two, I’d keep the current model.
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 09:23 AM   #98
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
If you want a "better" watch, its hard to beat the 124060. I also own one and I just love it. Best submariner ever made.

However, these are emotional items and it seems you shared quite alot with your 14060. I would probably keep that. Its harder to replace.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 10:03 AM   #99
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
124060 or 14060M (one has to go)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Haze~ View Post
Is anyone else dying to know what’s going on here? Lol

I have a friend who is a well known trusted person in this community. He or I would hold the watch for up to 6 months with a little interest paid. When he pays it off he would get the watch back.

No one wants to sell a watch and never get it back. I personally would back the deal but I’m not as well known as my friend and I don’t buy/sell. That’s why I said he could do it because he is a well known person in the watch/Rolex community and he might feel safer that route. He has thousands of references. If he wanted to go that route I would have given him my friends contact information.

teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 10:04 AM   #100
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
My narrative?

No. Not at all.

It’s not about whether the OP can repurchase his new watch or not. That wasn’t the OP’s narrative. That was yours.

Yes your narrative. You are coming at me sideways. I offered him help. What have you done? I’ll wait…

Old 17 November 2021, 11:09 AM   #101
Kyle3130
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ink3027 View Post
I'd choose to keep the 14060M and sell the 124060 without much hesitation, for a couple of reasons.

First and foremost, the 124060 is still in production and the 14060M isn't -- particularly the one you have that you've owned for almost a decade. There's history with that watch. If you sell the 124060 and want it back, you can always reacquire one. It might require effort or going grey, but it can be had. Your particular 14060M would be gone forever, though.

And secondly, the comfort factor. The 6 digit Rolex models for me are significantly less comfortable for all day wear than their 5-digit counterparts. I can wear a 14060M or 16710 all day without realizing it. But after wearing a 126610 or BLNR all day, by the evening I'm looking forward to taking it off. It's only 25-ish grams heavier, but it sure feels heavier and bulkier on the wrist. Personally, no matter how much I like the look of a watch, if it's uncomfortable after long days, I move it along.

Comfort is a personal preference, but since you've mentioned the weight factor it seems like something that might apply to you as well.

Best of luck in your decision, let us know which way you go.
Thanks for your input. This is my main dilemma in trying to decide which to sell. I really enjoy the comfort of the 14060M and I do have a lot of special memories with it but it is just a watch that was owned by someone else before me. It has lug holes and is basically “the perfect Rolex” but the 124060 is a banger of a watch and also fits into the category of “the perfect Rolex” to me. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to really come to terms with selling either because I know I would probably regret it. My wife chose the 124060 for me to keep but for a lot of reasons listed in this thread, I just don’t want to give up the 14060M. The poll says sell the 124060 at the moment but I would like to get another watch in the future from my friend so yea….
Old 17 November 2021, 02:48 PM   #102
28mm
"TRF" Member

Sell them both, get something really cool for a lot less and move on.

Revisit at a later time. You have a young family and financial responsibilities and pressure.

Been there.

*posted with more than a grain of salt!
Old 17 November 2021, 04:44 PM   #103
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign View Post
Keep the five digit; you have a longer history with it. Those memories, the relationship cannot be replaced.
Agreed
Plus it's a better allround everyday watch
The service on it can wait as it may go many years longer between services and a good independent can service it, where as the new one most likely needs go to Rolex on a more frequent basis going forward, regardless of what Rolex says.
The newer one can be sold for more coin as well seeing as the funds are needed

Everything of note is pointing to keeping the 5 digit
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 04:53 PM   #104
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fania123 View Post
Flip a coin. When it's in the air, you'll know which side you're hoping for.
Excellent point
A honest attempt at flipping a coin and following through sort the emotional wheat from the chaf.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 10:27 PM   #105
RFC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1968 5513 Sub
I own both. Over the past year I’ve happily worn my M twice as much as my 12’. To me this would answer which one to keep or sell.
RFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 10:45 PM   #106
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Yes your narrative. You are coming at me sideways. I offered him help. What have you done? I’ll wait…

"Sigh"

If you can't see that its you, not me, that's been pushing the "you'll not get another one from your AD" narrative then you'll be waiting longer than you will for that DD.....

My advice to the OP (as he's had to resort to asking a bunch of strangers on the internet because he can't decide for himself) would be to sell both, frankly, because they are only just watches, and use the cash to cover his unforeseen expenses and revisit watch buying when he knows where his finances sit.

If he wants to keep both, then rather than entering into some sort of "low interest pawn" arrangement with yet more strangers on the internet then my advice to him would be that he should explore short term borrowing from a mainstream lending institution, ideally starting with his own bank, and borrowing not more than the value (to a grey) of his least valuable watch.

Far less potential for pain down the road that way, and he'll have both watches in his possession at all times.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2021, 12:50 AM   #107
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
"Sigh"

If you can't see that its you, not me, that's been pushing the "you'll not get another one from your AD" narrative then you'll be waiting longer than you will for that DD.....

My advice to the OP (as he's had to resort to asking a bunch of strangers on the internet because he can't decide for himself) would be to sell both, frankly, because they are only just watches, and use the cash to cover his unforeseen expenses and revisit watch buying when he knows where his finances sit.

If he wants to keep both, then rather than entering into some sort of "low interest pawn" arrangement with yet more strangers on the internet then my advice to him would be that he should explore short term borrowing from a mainstream lending institution, ideally starting with his own bank, and borrowing not more than the value (to a grey) of his least valuable watch.

Far less potential for pain down the road that way, and he'll have both watches in his possession at all times.

Haha. Bro your really funny with this DD talk. It’s not that I can’t get a DD from my AD. I got one, it’s that to get one now you need to put a full deposit down and no guarantee for a year as the supply is extremely limited. In fact they tell most people they can no longer take orders. I got my DD 5 months ago and it’s only been harder to get one now. I want a silver dial as well. But you wouldn’t know unless you were in the market for one.

I do agree with you the best solution would be for him to get a loan and keep both but he may end up paying thousands of dollars in interest. For arguments sake he needs to sell one and taking out a loan is not an option.

So yes I would take the advice from someone like me
Who has got all the “hot” watches from my AD. That is if he wanted to buy watches and build a collection. But as he stated he is a one watch guy. So he can do whatever he wants. Best of luck to him.

If he goes to his AD and tells them he needs to sell it for personal reasons they may be sympathetic and get him another watch in the future. But I seriously doubt it in a time when there are no watches in the case and they are all pre sold before they are even delivered. He can sell either watch now and rebuy it on the market for close to what he sold it for. So it’s all relative. But the chances of him getting the same watch at retail at the same AD is slim IMO.
Old 19 November 2021, 11:30 PM   #108
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

One critical difference between the five and six digit pieces that hasn’t been discussed is the ability to have four links on the six o’clock side of the 114060/124060. For my wrist, this was the deciding factor. The 14060M always kicked to the 12 o’clock side of my (flat) 7” wrist because of the five link minimum.

I kept my 114060 bought new from AD and (partially) traded the 14060M towards a BB58 which is a far better watch IMHO and also more legible. I haven’t missed the 14060M at all, quite surprisingly, since it was my grail watch for many years. They just weren’t available new when I was finally able to purchase one, and in the end I realized the six digit was ultimately the better piece for my needs.
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2021, 12:34 AM   #109
FHFinster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I'm not reading any of that but...Wow, the black dial and yellow gold. Holy moly. That looks goood.

Fin
FHFinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2021, 03:26 AM   #110
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHFinster View Post
I'm not reading any of that but...Wow, the black dial and yellow gold. Holy moly. That looks goood.

Fin

Thank you!

Old 29 November 2021, 01:47 PM   #111
CaptNico
"TRF" Member

So... I've been looking for a 14060m, my first real watch. It's what prompted me to join this forum, where I am reading up all I can in this particular watch. I don't want to go the fleabay route.
If you have box and papers I'm willing to pay a fair price, pls PM me.
CaptNico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 02:59 PM   #112
Kyle3130
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNico View Post
So... I've been looking for a 14060m, my first real watch. It's what prompted me to join this forum, where I am reading up all I can in this particular watch. I don't want to go the fleabay route.
If you have box and papers I'm willing to pay a fair price, pls PM me.
Welcome to the forum! I appreciate the offer and sorry to disappoint but my 14060M is watch only. I bought it at a good price way before the crazy market we are in now.

Also, to those of you hanging around eating popcorn, you might want to go get a refill. I still can’t decide what I want to do. I want to make a decision by the end of the year but I’m running out of time. I have considered selling both as some of you have mentioned but there isn’t a watch out there right now that I could see myself wearing other than a Submariner. Thanks for all of your input and I’ll keep y’all posted when a decision is made.
Old 18 December 2021, 06:36 AM   #113
Kyle3130
"TRF" Member

Today I made my decision and sold my 14060M. Ultimately, I chose to sell it because the 124060 is a better long term pick for me. I love the fact that it was brand new from my AD and will serve me well for many years if not decades to come. The 14060M has been a great watch and I’m glad it was my first experience into serious watches. I want to thank all of you for your input and I am very grateful for my watch education provided by the awesome members of this forum.
Old 18 December 2021, 06:45 AM   #114
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Good to hear Kyle. Tough to see the 5 digit go, but I think you made the right decision
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 07:39 AM   #115
Oldfellow
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The right decision for you, well done.
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 07:41 AM   #116
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Bye 14060. No debate IMO.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 08:33 AM   #117
SaintMickey
Banned

5 digit!
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 09:42 PM   #118
Miexpeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sky Dweller,
Keep 124060. Technically the best sub yet. Also keeping it may work to your favour for future purchases with AD.
Miexpeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 11:41 PM   #119
tymonster
"TRF" Member

The 14060 was also my first Rolex. I remember the day it came via fedex and opening the package and feeling extremely underwhelmed. Tuna can, light weight, bezel action meh. At the time I didn’t appreciate it for what it was. $4500 purchase price. Later ended up selling to fund a 116600 (after they’d been discontinued) and I don’t miss it. But the SeaDweller is a special piece, as is the 14060. Something the 124060 is lacking.

If it’s going to be a one watch scenario I personally would stick with the 124060 though. It’s a better watch on every level other than that charm of a 5-digit. Well, and the memories you’ve made wearing it. Plenty of new memories to be made though, and you’ll likely have doubled the value of your 14060 when you sell it.

If a year from now you miss the proportions grab a BB58 to scratch the itch.

tymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2021, 01:15 AM   #120
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

It really comes down to your preference.
If it was my decision to make I would keep new one.
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote