The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 25 June 2019, 05:01 PM   #31
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Of course you don't have to be a watchmaker to understand these readings.

Customers who 'know it all' are the biggest pain in the @ss, just because you can read a timegrapher doesn't mean you understand what is actually going on. Too much of that going on these days, customers that think they know more than the watchmaker.

Ahhh, ok. Makes sense. You’ve had some crappy customer experiences and you think the timegrapher made them that way? Probably not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 06:27 PM   #32
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostack View Post
Ahhh, ok. Makes sense. You’ve had some crappy customer experiences and you think the timegrapher made them that way? Probably not.

It is a certain type of person that buys a timegrapher for their watch hobby. Usually that type is plagued with OCD. I don't like dealing with OCD customers.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 05:20 AM   #33
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
I get that, but for some people, half the enjoyment of toys is learning about them. I personally find it beneficial to see how the watch responds to different positions, and how it may vary over time, as well as comparing it with on wrist performance.

All due respect, you don’t have to be a watchmaker to gain an understanding of timing.

Next thing you know you’ll be telling me to get rid of my eye loupe ;)

In my defence, I did say watchmaking is not rocket science. If you take the time to learn what it all means then there is no harm in buying the timegrapher as a toy.

I think you took my ‘little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing’ comment a bit too literally. But generally speaking, most people don’t bother to do the reading required to understand what’s going on.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 06:42 AM   #34
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
In my defence, I did say watchmaking is not rocket science. If you take the time to learn what it all means then there is no harm in buying the timegrapher as a toy.

I think you took my ‘little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing’ comment a bit too literally. But generally speaking, most people don’t bother to do the reading required to understand what’s going on.

I realize it is a figure of speech, and took it as such. I just think these discouraging suggestions are not helpful for someone that wants to learn.

Old 26 June 2019, 09:27 AM   #35
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
I realize it is a figure of speech, and took it as such. I just think these discouraging suggestions are not helpful for someone that wants to learn.

I’d never stand in the way of someone who wants to learn more about watchmaking. For those people a timegrapher can be an interesting tool to own.

In the context of the OP where all we are looking for is a print out of the positional error so they can rest their watch accordingly, I would suggest going to a watchmaker over buying a machine.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 10:16 AM   #36
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
I’d never stand in the way of someone who wants to learn more about watchmaking. For those people a timegrapher can be an interesting tool to own.

In the context of the OP where all we are looking for is a print out of the positional error so they can rest their watch accordingly, I would suggest going to a watchmaker over buying a machine.

Fair point.

My time is valuable and having a tool like this saves me a trip to a watchmaker to get this kind of information. If I only had one watch, it may not be a big deal.

I do agree that for someone who doesn’t really have an interest in learning about how a watch works, owning a timegrapher doesn’t make practical sense.

Old 1 July 2019, 11:21 AM   #37
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2008 Submariner
I experiment with my watches, diff dial positions and night and note the difference. each watch is different. once u figure out what the watch does in various positions, u can be neurotic like me, check the watch against the atomic clock then place it accordingly each night. 8 or so watches lined up in different positions. i LOVE it

"A man with one watch knows what time it is while a man with two is never sure."
N5XTC is offline   Reply With Quote