The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 1 July 2019, 11:06 AM   #1
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2008 Submariner
Icon20 New 2008 Submariner gaining time????

I purchased a 2008 submariner 10 days ago. I wear the watch ALL day, from morning til 8pm. then, i lay the watch on its back (face up), same each night. the watch went from +2.5 1st day to +4 then +5 a few days now is +6.

the watch seems like it is slowly speeding up. i set by atomic clock, have many many watches so know how to check this very accurately.

the watch was purchased at a local jeweler and had been recently serviced by a respected rolex person.

is the watch just "breaking in" from the service (prob did not run much til i purchased it) OR does it seems like something is wrong because it is slowly speeding up. in other words, it is NOT consistent. i could handle consistent any of those #s.

if this continues, i will get 2 days of +6, then up again from there.

there is a year warranty on the watch. but, i hate to lose her for a few months (i am sure it would take time). so, for now, i am continuing to check her daily and record results.

any help, thoughts, advice appreciated.

"A man with one watch knows what time it is while a man with two is never sure."
N5XTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2019, 12:37 PM   #2
turbineboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Angelus, AP, Breit
If it was recently serviced, give it a couple of weeks of run time.
Try to regulate it. My 2004 sub gains 3.5 secs per day crown up. If I place it in the winder, it looses 1-1.5 sec per day. Dial up it gains and crown down and dial face down it looses. If I wear it regularly (12 hours on), it gains 2-3 secs.

On a time grapher it shows 0.1ms beat error sometimes with a 300+ amplitude (dial up) and shows +2.6-+3.0 seconds.

I am okay with it the way it is as I expect it to tell me when it needs a service when it starts to loose time or in about 4 years... whichever comes first. Going on 2 years since the last service where the watch guy had set it to +4 seconds.

Give it 2-3 weeks. If it is still an issue, a local watch guy should be able to adjust it in 3-5 days. Send it to Rolex and it could be 4-6 weeks.
turbineboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2019, 05:12 PM   #3
bacu
"TRF" Member

I had +5 seconds per day right when i bought a brand new GMT 2. After 2 weeks, I took it to AD and in 15 minutes he corrected this issue saying that it was just a wrong calibration of something (I don't recall what exactly was mentioned) and since then I have an accuracy of less than +- 1 sec per day.
bacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2019, 05:45 PM   #4
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Servicing by a respected Rolex person doesn’t fill me with joy.

The accuracy of my Rolex watches may vary from watch to watch but their individual precision doesn’t vary.

What did your RRP say when you rang them about this issue?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2019, 07:23 PM   #5
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
COSC specs are -4/+6 secs per day so you actually can gain up to 42 secs in a week and be in spec but Rolex’s new standard is +/- 2 secs per day but now sure if your watch falls within this new spec due to how old it might be.

My DJII runs on average gains 3.5 secs a day and have been this way sims its last regulation and I’m ok with that but more than likely will send it back before the warranty expires just to have it regulated under warranty.

And one final note to remember as Padi56 would say is there are 86,400 secs in a day so in the scheme of things only being 4-6 secs fast each day is not bad
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2019, 09:09 PM   #6
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Servicing by a respected Rolex person doesn’t fill me with joy.

The accuracy of my Rolex watches may vary from watch to watch but their individual precision doesn’t vary.

What did your RRP say when you rang them about this issue?
I am going to wait to contact the place where i bought it. hope it steadies off at +6 per day and does not keep going faster and faster with passing days. i could even take +10 a day IF it would stop getting faster at that point. no big deal, pop the crown for 30 secs every 3 days.

"A man with one watch knows what time it is while a man with two is never sure."
Old 1 July 2019, 09:15 PM   #7
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

You might try a few different resting positions to see if that helps, for me regardless of position it does not gain or lose time it only gains the +3.5 a day while wearing, what really surprises me is my Tudor BB only gains a total of 1 sec over an entire week of wearing and it was less than 1/2 the cost of my DJII
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Old 2 July 2019, 10:15 AM   #8
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

called the AD today and they say they demagnetize free. i really do not think it is that, but for free, why not give it a shot. the lady said (not the watchmaker, so who knows) their machine can tell if the watch is magnetized or not. if that is true, that would be interesting.

IF they offer to time the watch, should I go for it? i think it seems to be steadying at +6 per day now, see tomorrow morning. i'd rather have +6 than -1, honestly

Old 3 July 2019, 06:48 PM   #9
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

If they offer to regulate for no charge the the next question is who will be opening up my watch as I would watch a watchmaker who’s certified to work on Rolexes cracking open the case.
Old 3 July 2019, 08:07 PM   #10
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Icon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexoman View Post
If they offer to regulate for no charge the the next question is who will be opening up my watch as I would watch a watchmaker who’s certified to work on Rolexes cracking open the case.
the guy at the AD is rolex certified and you get some certificate bec of this.

it was not FREE, they want around $50 to regulate the watch. they said it takes 4 to 5 days to run all the testing and do it. i have not done it yet as i dont want to be without the watch that long.

they put it on the timer and it was 7.4 secs fast, but i am showing 6 to 6.5 secs on 24 hours wearing 12 hours and resting face up 12 hours per day.

Old 3 July 2019, 09:14 PM   #11
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

If it bothers you then have it regulated and the cost is very reasonable
Old 4 July 2019, 11:18 AM   #12
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Icon20

Quote:
If it bothers you then have it regulated and the cost is very reasonable
like i said, not a REGULATION issue, is slowly getting faster and faster. I called the watch dr. this evening. he has been doing rolex forever and a day. he said the watch will settle at some point and he sees NO mechanical reason it would get faster and faster unless it were magnetized, which it is not (rolex AD checked that for me). he said give her time to settle in, she will at some point, he is sure of that.

SO, i am going to run her and hope she settles in. it has been two weeks tomorrow since i bought her.

Old 4 July 2019, 08:57 PM   #13
OysterBracelet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by N5XTC View Post
like i said, not a REGULATION issue, is slowly getting faster and faster. I called the watch dr. this evening. he has been doing rolex forever and a day. he said the watch will settle at some point and he sees NO mechanical reason it would get faster and faster unless it were magnetized, which it is not (rolex AD checked that for me). he said give her time to settle in, she will at some point, he is sure of that.

SO, i am going to run her and hope she settles in. it has been two weeks tomorrow since i bought her.
You need a new watchmaker.
OysterBracelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2019, 09:26 PM   #14
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterBracelet View Post
You need a new watchmaker.
lol, i am wondering about the settling in idea. we will see. give it a few more weeks.

Old 4 July 2019, 10:06 PM   #15
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
I would like to point out that just because someone has been doing something for "forever and a day" does not in itself mean they know what they are doing...
Old 4 July 2019, 10:08 PM   #16
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Quote:

How much time is the watch gaining now? When you say 'faster and faster' what exactly do you mean?

There are mechanical reasons that a watch could gain time, but it does depend exactly what the issue is.
Old 4 July 2019, 11:34 PM   #17
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would wear the watch and see what happens. I would stop tracking it daily and catch it for the week. It is an easy regulation if you decide to go that route. Enjoy your great watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2019, 02:03 AM   #18
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

It very easy to get caught up in the check your watch 20x a day syndrome, I did it until Peter and several others here finally convinced me enough is enough, my suggestion is set your watch to the exact second at the beginning of the week and you can use a cheap quartz on time.gov or the clock here on TRF then once a day and only once a day check it against the source you set it with and right down how fast then after day 5-6 days look at the daily totals, they should all be close but fast like you said then add them all up and divide by the number of days and see what you get, if say it’s 30 secs fast after 5 days it’s within spec.

I doubt your watch falls under the new standard of +/- 2 SPD so it’ll that’s the case it’s -4/+6 averaged
Old 5 July 2019, 11:34 AM   #19
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Icon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashton_Horologist View Post
How much time is the watch gaining now? When you say 'faster and faster' what exactly do you mean?

There are mechanical reasons that a watch could gain time, but it does depend exactly what the issue is.
Ok, faster and faster means this (I know how to check a watch accurately, so assume this)

i have owned it two weeks today. day 1 it was only 2.5 secs fast, next day 4, then 5, 5 again, then 6, 6 again, now it is 7 or 7.5 per day. checking it in the morning and hope has not gotten faster yet. based on where it is right now, should be around 7 or 7.5 secs when i check it at 6am. IF it is, I am hoping it settles there and does not get faster yet.

so, the watch is speeding up and that shows in the times.

people are saying it will "settle" eventually. hoping 7 or 7.5secs/24hrs is it.

p.s. also, i wear it about the same hours every day, place in the same position each night and at the same time each night (trying to standardize things as best as possible)

Old 5 July 2019, 11:36 AM   #20
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would like to point out that just because someone has been doing something for "forever and a day" does not in itself mean they know what they are doing...
this is correct! and, someone could be doing something 1 year and know what they are doing.

Old 5 July 2019, 11:44 AM   #21
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It very easy to get caught up in the check your watch 20x a day syndrome, I did it until Peter and several others here finally convinced me enough is enough, my suggestion is set your watch to the exact second at the beginning of the week and you can use a cheap quartz on time.gov or the clock here on TRF then once a day and only once a day check it against the source you set it with and right down how fast then after day 5-6 days look at the daily totals, they should all be close but fast like you said then add them all up and divide by the number of days and see what you get, if say it’s 30 secs fast after 5 days it’s within spec.

I doubt your watch falls under the new standard of +/- 2 SPD so it’ll that’s the case it’s -4/+6 averaged
i understand averaging for the week. but, i really do enjoy checking them against the atomic clock often, at least until i know the watch. then, i dont pay near as much attention. its part of the fun of a new watch. well, this new 2008 sub is not fun, as it is getting FASTER and FASTER every two days.

+2.5, +4, +5 +5 +6 +6 +7 +7.5... (been doing this two weeks today, some #s are missing bu you get the point)

NO WAY, this one is within specs, you CANNOT average within -4/+6 when you are OVER +6 every day of the week.

Old 5 July 2019, 12:55 PM   #22
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

So do you reset the watch to a standardized time everyday?
Ashton_Horologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2019, 01:13 PM   #23
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Typically a ham radio geek has the chops to know/understand how to track time on a mechanical watch accurately.

What the OP is describing is absolutely not normal. I would have it checked by a qualified AD or RSC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2019, 08:05 PM   #24
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So do you reset the watch to a standardized time everyday?
NO, i reset it to the atomic clock ONE time per week. ALSO, a that point, i wind about 20 times (i read somewhere where it is recommended to wind once per week EVEN IF you wear each day, so I do that). the rest of the days i simply note where it is relative to the atomic clock. i write down the #s.

GOOD NEWS, at 6am today it was a +7 sec day. it may be stabilizing to +7 which would make me VERY happy (though past the +6/-4), but the main thing is CONSISTENCY. it can be REGULATED.

Old 5 July 2019, 08:08 PM   #25
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Icon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostack View Post
Typically a ham radio geek has the chops to know/understand how to track time on a mechanical watch accurately.

What the OP is describing is absolutely not normal. I would have it checked by a qualified AD or RSC.

AMEN! lol HOWEVER, we are NORMAL people, NON hams are squares. wait, i call non-watch people squares also. i guess non-ham non-watch people are squares.

Old 5 July 2019, 08:26 PM   #26
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
AMEN! lol HOWEVER, we are NORMAL people, NON hams are squares. wait, i call non-watch people squares also. i guess non-ham non-watch people are squares.

Ahh yes, I use the term with affection.

KD8SNE

Old 6 July 2019, 02:34 AM   #27
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

UPDATE,

3 days now of +7 secs. this is GOOD news. seems like the watch is "settling" or whatever you want to call it. i'd be real happy with +7 if it settles there and does not continue to get faster. one more day of +7 and i will be more convinced.

Old 6 July 2019, 06:30 AM   #28
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Gaining +7 a day is what my DJII did when I first got it and after about two months it was still the +7-8 per day so like 45-55 secs per week and I was not happy with that so I sent it off to RSC in Dallas and they cut that in half so I was pleased with that, glad it finally stopped gaining time for and a simple regulation can get it closer if you choose to
Old 6 July 2019, 10:35 AM   #29
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Gaining +7 a day is what my DJII did when I first got it and after about two months it was still the +7-8 per day so like 45-55 secs per week and I was not happy with that so I sent it off to RSC in Dallas and they cut that in half so I was pleased with that, glad it finally stopped gaining time for and a simple regulation can get it closer if you choose to
there is a rolex AD here in this town i am staying in, two certified rolex guys there. i may get it regulated. they said it takes 4 or 5 days and around $50, if that sounds right. i would like +2 or +3, just hate to risk getting a watch that loses time back. lol.

Old 6 July 2019, 12:42 PM   #30
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
there is a rolex AD here in this town i am staying in, two certified rolex guys there. i may get it regulated. they said it takes 4 or 5 days and around $50, if that sounds right. i would like +2 or +3, just hate to risk getting a watch that loses time back. lol.

I would suggest talking with the watchmakers and letting them know your concerns/expectations. See if they are willing to take the extra time it may require to get it as precise as you want it.

Personally, I would be willing to pay double or more to end up with a Rolex that keeps time as well as my Tudor.

Tags
gaining time , submariner