The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 5 April 2020, 03:27 AM   #1
wilsonpepper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
What is the best way to open the back on a 16700 ?

If you don't have the Rolex tool ? Is there a technique to do so ?

Thanks
wilsonpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 03:37 AM   #2
antrolexsub
"TRF" Member

A rolled up ball of duct tape or a soft rubber ball around the size of a tennis ball will do the job although not ideal.
antrolexsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 09:56 AM   #3
Mbalce
"TRF" Member

This is the best shot.
https://www.amazon.com/Bergeon-Rubbe...6044439&sr=8-2

But depends how tight it is if it will work. I also found a used L-G Case opener with Rolex dies on Ebay for under $100. Seemed pretty reasonable.

I have also heard you can JB Weld a socket onto the back and then heat gun it clean but that ones up to you. Not sure even I would try that and I have been known to McGyver quite a lot.
Mbalce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 02:28 PM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
pipewrench2.jpg
Old 5 April 2020, 04:53 PM   #5
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Old 6 April 2020, 12:06 AM   #6
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
In my experience, occasionally a rubber ball pressed into the back and rotated counterclockwise will work, but often not. An inexpensive set of back removal tools can be found on eBay or elsewhere. They are made in China, and the metal is a little bit on the soft side so you wouldn’t want to use them very extensively. A good question is why you want to open up the back? Most of the things inside a Rolex should be left alone except by a highly trained watchmaker.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 03:07 AM   #7
Mbalce
"TRF" Member

I would not try the cheap Chinese die sets. You have a high chance of scratching your watch which will undoubtably make you sad.

Better to get a higher quality unit either new or used. The L-G seems to be regarded as decent and can be found online for around $100 plus or minus. I wouldn't put any metal die to my case that's below that in quality.

The rubber ball is absolutely a great attempt in that even if it all goes wrong and doesn't work you will have at least followed the "do no harm" credo. I have the Bergeon ball (one of the least expensive Bergeon tools you can get!) and it works surprisingly well as long as both the ball and the watch are absolutely clean and dry.

Same with the workspace you are planning on opening it up in. Have you vacuumed and dusted today? Kept your dogs or other pets away? Do you have a little bulb blower handy just to puff out anything that will probably drop in but you can't see with your eyes? We are all washing our hands 20 times a day so you are probably good on that. These are all good best practices to follow even if you are just popping it open to ogle the mechanism.

But if that's all you want to do, buy a vintage Omega or an old pocket watch. The movements are actually much prettier than a Rolex, which in my opinion is a very utilitarian looking movement. Built like a tank, but they don't have a lot of the cool detail work they used to put into high end movements to make them true works of art.

There is nothing special or magic about a Rolex to prevent one from opening it. Its just relatively expensive and parts follow that economics. Just accept that if you break it, get dirt in it, or sneeze in it you will probably be looking at a trip to a real watchmaker and will be parting ways with at least several Benjamins.

I look at it almost the same as my cars. There are lots of parallels to buying luxury watches and owning collector cars. There are some that acquire a real 1965 Shelby AC and absolutely wrench on it all day long. Even though its worth more than most watch collections much less a single Rolex. But there are some that will buy a 2020 Aston Martin and probably will never figure out how to check its oil.

For me, if somethings under warranty, I generally don't mess with it as I don't want to risk any fingerpointing if things do go wrong. But that's why I love vintage so much - in cars, motorcycles and watches. Mechanical things are not magical or even rocket science. I think most of us believe mechanical things are cool. If we didn't, we would all be wearing atomic clock, solar powered Citizens. Pretty much the epitome of the highest accuracy and lowest maintenance timepiece out there.

If you are like me, and inclined to tinker and work on your own things, in my experience the joy, satisfaction and appreciation you have for them rises exponentially. I drive my 35 year old Jaguar Vanden Plas as a daily driver. While I have had plenty done to it by a mechanic, its always been a time/money equation. I have the ability and have done extensive work on it myself (sometimes I surprise myself when it works). Less often, I make it worse and I end up towing it into the experts. Part of the price for playing the game. But if I am busy, and the car needs fixing, I take it in.

But yea - if you have no understanding of how a mechanical watch actually keeps time and no desire to figure it out, then I agree, you should stay out of it. But if that's the case, why would one be interested the Watch Tech sub forum to begin with then?

Sorry for the long post - as with many others I have way too much time on my hands. Maybe I will go de-case one of my 50s Omega's and put it into a different case, just to have something to do today.
Mbalce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 04:53 AM   #8
SearChart
TechXpert

Having seen enough DIY work (and that of hobbyist watchmakers...) on Rolex watches and having spent hours and hours fixing the sh#t they messed up I'd highly recommend to just keep it shut.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 05:46 AM   #9
wilsonpepper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Found a Watchmaker

On the Big Island, there is only ONE watch maker with the official Rolex caseback opening tools. Wally's Watches, is located about 20 miles south of Kona.

He replace my 16700 case back with this one:

http://www.customwatchconcepts.com/p...=7&language=en

Got new gaskets from a gent in Texas.

Entire process took only a few minutes, the water pressure test took longer.

$65 bucks.

Looks great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sapphire.jpg (84.7 KB, 114 views)
wilsonpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 06:39 AM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Blowtorch and pliers ;-)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 08:57 AM   #11
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Having seen enough DIY work (and that of hobbyist watchmakers...) on Rolex watches and having spent hours and hours fixing the sh#t they messed up I'd highly recommend to just keep it shut.
...and this is why I don't even want to change/modify/customise the bracelets.
I read that Rolex spends several hours just to design, test and refine these bracelets. Even the older the older jingly jangly bracelets.
cheers
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 01:50 AM   #12
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

I've used the LG for around 20 years, no problems as yet.

I like glass backs. :)

Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 02:52 AM   #13
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonpepper View Post
On the Big Island, there is only ONE watch maker with the official Rolex caseback opening tools. Wally's Watches, is located about 20 miles south of Kona.

He replace my 16700 case back with this one:

http://www.customwatchconcepts.com/p...=7&language=en

Got new gaskets from a gent in Texas.

Entire process took only a few minutes, the water pressure test took longer.

$65 bucks.

Looks great.

That is explains the first question back in April. Good for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote