The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 18 June 2020, 04:40 PM   #1
Aumkar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600/Z-Blue/OP39W
Question about Rolex in-house movements

Hello,

I have been curious about this observation when it comes to Rolex in-house movements. I'll try my best to explain what I'm trying to understand.

Just a disclaimer - I would like to know the exact technical reason for this phenomena, not a vague explanation.

I have noticed that when Rolex movements are wound down, it takes quite a lot of hand winding to restart the movement. Again, I'm specifically asking in-regard to hand winding using the crown, ignoring the use of the rotor just for this example.

I have experienced this personally with my watches and have also noticed it in many videos.

Any idea what could be causing it? High torque required by the gear train which is only enough once the mainspring has enough power?

We all know Rolex Calibers are exceptionally well Manufactured and the components have very little tolerances. I'm trying to understand why the above phenomena is synonymous with Rolex movements?

Any technical insight would be appreciated or please do let me know if I'm crazy and if my observations have no base.

Thanks!
Aumkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 12:26 AM   #2
tom1969
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 114270
My experience is the opposite (3130 movement from 2008). When the watch is run down after (pretty exactly) 48h and I shake it a bit (not enough to activate the automatic winding), the second hand advances one or two seconds and stops again. So the spring is really wound down completely. As soon as I start using automatic or manual winding, the movement starts up.
tom1969 is offline   Reply With Quote