The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 May 2018, 02:09 AM   #61
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Many great people here from all walks of life from all around the globe. The diversity and discussions here are great. I love hearing different opinions and thoughts from members in other countries and from different cultures. The common theme that makes us a ‘group’ is that we are mostly WIS. Are there successful people here? Sure. Define success. One persons success may be another persons failure. Not to sound cliche here but can’t we all be friends and get along?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 02:16 AM   #62
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I tend to think of this forum as a place where people who share a passion for watches congregate and share in their love of the brand they wear.

We can all agree to disagree on the rest of the thread
I agree... I Honestly don't think everyone here is a Rocket Scientist
or a graduate from MIT, Harvard, Yale or Georgetown...
We are all different and from all walks of life... A Motley Crew but
a happy passionate watch aficionados crew...
When the watches we want are in stock and available ...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 02:20 AM   #63
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Motley Cru
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarmar View Post
Motley Crue ... now there's a band I can get behind

Well said

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 02:21 AM   #64
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Motley Cru Motley Crue ... now there's a band I can get behind

Well said

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
I actually wrote it that way and changed it before posting...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 02:45 AM   #65
Lark
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
While there are many respectful discussions on this forum I wouldn't be so quick to pat ourselves on the back. I've seen more backhanded insults and condescending remarks here then I have on most motorcycle forums I frequent.
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 03:33 AM   #66
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggsiam View Post
How arrogant. So if someone just happens to love what makes Rolex Rolex, and they come here to learn, they are somehow less than you because they aren't rich enough to own one or graduated from an Ivy League university? Your whole opening post reads of nothing but elitist arrogance.

I would like to think if I wandered into a AP or PP forum and wanted to participate, knowing full well I could never afford one, I wouldn't be judged by my income level. This is the crap that gives Rolex owners a bad name IMHO.

I thought it was a positive post about the TRF community, and inclusion.

Old 27 May 2018, 05:17 AM   #67
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Oh geez what a thread.

I’m scared to write anything, or how I really feel about it!

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 05:20 AM   #68
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMarine View Post
Rolex owners are NOT regular people...
I'm a regular 24yo from a middle class family, worked for the watches myself.
I bet there are tons on here who just appreciate a fine watch but are not 'rich' and had to save a long time to be able to buy one.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 05:24 AM   #69
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Owning a Rolex is not a requirement to be a member of TRF, and niether should it be.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 05:27 AM   #70
Laszlo

Some 40% of Americans live below the poverty level and on average have less than $400 cash in the bank. That statistic is saddening and I couldn’t even fathom living under those kinds of conditions. Today only the privilege survive and the upper tier live in an unreal lifestyle. Personally sums up my thoughts about this tread. Be sensitive.

Old 27 May 2018, 05:30 AM   #71
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Owning a Rolex is not a requirement to be a member of TRF, and niether should it be.
Been a member for 6 years, almost 14k posts and bought my first Rolex a week ago, never felt like I wasn't welcome
TRF is a great community
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 05:33 AM   #72
TudorTuesday
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
That's right. This is a place where people can enjoy learning about, talking about, and debating the virtues of Rolexes, and in my experience, ANY watch.

Members don't need to own a Rolex to enjoy this forum. And Rolex owners don't necessarily:

Quote:
have a clear and distinct financial advantage over the common person.
That's the part of his post that has me wondering whether he is trying to make a joke (in poor taste), or is actually trying to say he thinks wealthy people are better than "normal people" as he calls out later.

I sure hope it's just a bad joke.
TudorTuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 05:34 AM   #73
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I bet there are tons on here who just appreciate a fine watch but are not 'rich' and had to save a long time to be able to buy one.

More than most realize.
Old 27 May 2018, 05:55 AM   #74
TudorTuesday
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turborolex View Post
When I read the OPs post I knew he was going to get some “heat” and certain lines were going to be quoted and taken out of context.

However, the sum and substance is pretty clear to those who look at it as a post from someone who enjoys the forum and is motivated by it; like so many of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I appreciate your willingness to smooth this out and prevent it from becoming sillier than it is, and I respect your intention.

That said, the OP is not being quoted out of context. He's being quoted 100% within the context he set, and the sum and substance has nothing to do with it. I love silly analogies. So lemme see if I can make one that mirrors this thread:

If I go to the store to buy an orange, and I have a conversation with the clerk all about the tastiness, ripeness, and origins of said orange, the "sum and substance" of my conversation is about oranges.

But what if, during that conversation I say, "I only like oranges grown in California, because everything from California is better than everything from anywhere else."

Sum and substance? Still oranges. But in that example, I'd also be making a separate, and unrelated point about how I feel about California, and NOT-California. And depending on your point of view, that point may come across as more than a little offensive.

Now in this silly example, there are a few options for interpretation:

1) Maybe my buddies know that I really don't feel that way, and I joke about it with them - so I think I am being funny.
2) Maybe I think the clerk is a xenophobe, and I am trying to manipulate the conversation to prove that point.
3) Maybe I really DO feel like California is better than everywhere else, and I think I am surrounded by people who feel the same way, so I let my little inner xenophobia out, thinking others will support it.

The only way to know which of those is the case, is if I respond when it's pointed out that i was UNclear in the first place. I hope the OP comes back and clears this up, and it's all just silly.

(Also, I don't even like oranges. )
Old 27 May 2018, 06:04 AM   #75
turborolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TudorTuesday View Post
I appreciate your willingness to smooth this out and prevent it from becoming sillier than it is, and I respect your intention.

That said, the OP is not being quoted out of context. He's being quoted 100% within the context he set, and the sum and substance has nothing to do with it. I love silly analogies. So lemme see if I can make one that mirrors this thread:

If I go to the store to buy an orange, and I have a conversation with the clerk all about the tastiness, ripeness, and origins of said orange, the "sum and substance" of my conversation is about oranges.

But what if, during that conversation I say, "I only like oranges grown in California, because everything from California is better than everything from anywhere else."

Sum and substance? Still oranges. But in that example, I'd also be making a separate, and unrelated point about how I feel about California, and NOT-California. And depending on your point of view, that point may come across as more than a little offensive.

Now in this silly example, there are a few options for interpretation:

1) Maybe my buddies know that I really don't feel that way, and I joke about it with them - so I think I am being funny.
2) Maybe I think the clerk is a xenophobe, and I am trying to manipulate the conversation to prove that point.
3) Maybe I really DO feel like California is better than everywhere else, and I think I am surrounded by people who feel the same way, so I let my little inner xenophobia out, thinking others will support it.

The only way to know which of those is the case, is if I respond when it's pointed out that i was UNclear in the first place. I hope the OP comes back and clears this up, and it's all just silly.

(Also, I don't even like oranges. )

I see what you’re saying and it makes sense.

I guess I was giving the OP the benefit of the doubt....

And you’re right, the OP could respond and be more clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 May 2018, 06:13 AM   #76
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Douglas,
Pay no mind to the negativity.

I have found the members here to be quite diverse and often quite thoughtful in their contributions, perhaps it goes hand in hand with appreciating such things as a mechanical wristwatch?

Old 27 May 2018, 07:53 AM   #77
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggsiam View Post
How arrogant. So if someone just happens to love what makes Rolex Rolex, and they come here to learn, they are somehow less than you because they aren't rich enough to own one or graduated from an Ivy League university? Your whole opening post reads of nothing but elitist arrogance.

I would like to think if I wandered into a AP or PP forum and wanted to participate, knowing full well I could never afford one, I wouldn't be judged by my income level. This is the crap that gives Rolex owners a bad name IMHO.
Irregardless of your income level you would be enabled to within an inch of your life to buy an AP or PP on this forum, that's just how we do things here in fantasy land.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 08:01 AM   #78
TudorTuesday
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Irregardless of your income level you would be enabled to within an inch of your life to buy an AP or PP on this forum, that's just how we do things here in fantasy land.
Ha! Yes. I have started trying to take advantage of that very enablement to help convince me to speed along my next "Incoming..."
Old 27 May 2018, 08:10 AM   #79
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Got laid off from my first job and bought a TT Rolex a week later when I clearly needed every cent I had. Made good $$$ on it since I bought it right, but without the forum I probably wouldn’t have bought it bahaha
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 04:49 PM   #80
TRM
Banned

Quote:
You're missing the point of my post. First of all, in order to afford a Rolex in the first place, one must have achieved a particular financial status as prerequisite. Secondly, if fascination of horology and watches is all one seeks, they needn't come to TRF.

P.S., nice humble brag about yourself, by the way. Well done, lol!
Not necessarily true, now days anyone can finance anything, with or without the means to pay for it.
TRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 04:53 PM   #81
TRM
Banned

Rolex is not the end all, be all of the watch world and the people who wear them are no better than people who wear other brands of watches. Too many people on this forum think their excrement doesn't stink just because they wear a Rolex.
TRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 10:20 PM   #82
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I can say that when I wear my Patek 5522 I smell like a spring breeze.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 10:51 PM   #83
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRM View Post
Too many people on this forum think their excrement doesn't stink just because they wear a Rolex.
let alone their cars show off. Freud would have a ball in this forum. Personally speaking I still have to meet some cool,down to earth guy that wears a Rolex..
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 11:09 PM   #84
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettocard View Post
let alone their cars show off. Freud would have a ball in this forum. Personally speaking I still have to meet some cool,down to earth guy that wears a Rolex..
Not sure how the the quote and your comment have anything to do with one another.

But, speaking personally, I love showing off my car. Not because I’m a show off, but because I love cars. I like to see pictures of other people’s cars too. And I’m so overjoyed looking at my car that I just want to share it.

Curious though, if you think Freud would have a ball with TRF, how would he react to Instagram and Facebook and all the other sites that are literally dedicated to the billions of people in this world “showing off”?

In regard to what you quoted, maybe I always just think the best of people, but I did not and do not see people on this forum thinking they are better than anyone else.

In fact, I actually think it’s the opposite. I think a lot of normal people buy a Rolex because they want the status symbol. BUT, I think that many here on TRF buy them because they actually know about watches and know that Rolex makes an exception al watch.

I do NOT think that TRF people are normal. I think most of us are nuts. After all, what kind of person cares this much about stupid watches???

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 11:11 PM   #85
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

And I do think the OP could have worded it better.

But I do not think he is an elitist.

I just think he was trying to say this site and many of the people on it, motivate him.

Old 28 May 2018, 02:39 AM   #86
SubMarine
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarmar View Post
Georgetown is not in the same league as the other schools you mentioned, sorry.
SubMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 02:43 AM   #87
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
And I stand corrected.

(From post #85).

Old 28 May 2018, 02:45 AM   #88
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Not sure how the the quote and your comment have anything to do with one another.

But, speaking personally, I love showing off my car. Not because I’m a show off, but because I love cars. I like to see pictures of other people’s cars too. And I’m so overjoyed looking at my car that I just want to share it.

Curious though, if you think Freud would have a ball with TRF, how would he react to Instagram and Facebook and all the other sites that are literally dedicated to the billions of people in this world “showing off”?

In regard to what you quoted, maybe I always just think the best of people, but I did not and do not see people on this forum thinking they are better than anyone else.

In fact, I actually think it’s the opposite. I think a lot of normal people buy a Rolex because they want the status symbol. BUT, I think that many here on TRF buy them because they actually know about watches and know that Rolex makes an exception al watch.

I do NOT think that TRF people are normal. I think most of us are nuts. After all, what kind of person cares this much about stupid watches???
Agree! Showing off your car because you’re an enthusiast is awesome.

It’s the ones that cannot help themselves but to include the sticker price and that’s just cringe worthy.

Old 28 May 2018, 03:18 AM   #89
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The more you write the more illuminating you become.

Which I find fascinating.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 05:11 AM   #90
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
The more you write the more illuminating you become.

Which I find fascinating.
Look at his other thread posts, there’s one bashing Pateks because he could get 2 SS submariners for the price of a nautilus and that the nautilus is a far inferior watch.

Or my personal fave which is something along the lines of “do you feel more powerful, authoritative and ambitious when you wear your Rolex.”

Amazing he hasn’t made any friends yet.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote