The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 May 2018, 05:49 AM   #181
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Max is still a perfect 6 for 6 now in incidents. At least last GP's incident didn't cost him anything but the crash in FP3 basically ruined his Monaco race.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 06:57 AM   #182
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Yeah, Max is really showing why he's worth $20m per season. I'm sure there'll be some kind of shenanigans from the back of the grid tomorrow.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 08:16 AM   #183
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
He’ll take out the back of the pack instead of the front. $5 says he blasts through the first lap at 110% trying to force a few extra spots at the start. Risking it all to maybe steal a point or two.
What a mess. Locking out the front row would have been fantastic for RB.
Looking forward to tomorrow. Maybe he’ll drag his feet and take them out when they lap him?

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 09:37 AM   #184
Latrodectus
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
[QUOTE=jatco;One of the best circuits of the series imo...[/QUOTE]

Completely agree!

Member # 16057
4-Hands Club
Tosser Club Member
TRF Skypers Group
Latrodectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 11:12 PM   #185
SearChart
TechXpert

Watching F1 with the boys

SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 12:40 AM   #186
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Watching F1 with the boys

Me too! Next Indy...I love race day!

I have to admit it's odd seeing Tag Heuer signs everywhere.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 01:48 AM   #187
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Boring race
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 12:05 PM   #188
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Boring race
Yeah, it kind of sucked. Just no way to pass without forcing something like Max did.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 01:57 PM   #189
bellvederecar
"TRF" Member

Watch: all
Beautiful track but also the most boring track for race day.
bellvederecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 08:10 PM   #190
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Yeah, boring just like when Lewis wins from the front.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 09:06 PM   #191
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellvederecar View Post
Beautiful track but also the most boring track for race day.
Yes, it's more like a parade than a race.
Better change Monaco for Assen in the NL.
Old 29 May 2018, 08:00 AM   #192
goin camping
"TRF" Member

Only boring thing about the race were the announcers.

Usually the race is spiced by things going wrong. Not this time.

Monaco is its own oddity as to what you may see. Kimi sitting on a yacht drinking after his crash. The buildings, ocean, vistas are all just a treat to see. Yes, passing is hard but it does happen.

However Canada is coming with its "Wall of Champions." Little furry mammals crossing the track. A high speed track and very nice views of the water.

Any race not run on a Tilke (sp) track is fun.
goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 08:03 AM   #193
Colin G
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Boring race
My thoughts also.
Colin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 11:18 AM   #194
lightguy
"TRF" Member

Street races are usually boring with Monaco at the top of the list.
However its one of my favorite F1 events because of the history, locality and precision needed to win.

F1 needs to change the aero rules to PROMOTE drafting not penalise it. Watching a train of "lowly" FVees pass each other is much more interesting.
lightguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 11:20 AM   #195
lightguy
"TRF" Member

I have a couple of Ferraris but Ferrari is my least favorite top team.
Years of M Schumacher dominance / sandbagging killed my love for Ferrari F1.
Actually rooting for McLaren to make a comeback.
I like underdogs
lightguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 11:29 AM   #196
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Canada was even more boring than Monaco. The only excitement was in the first 30 seconds. I actually fell asleep and missed the last 10 laps. Or was it 9 because that model waved the checkered flag one lap early? The drivers all have handlers, maybe the local invited flag person should have one as well. They talked up the long straights and 3 DRS zones incessantly, but nobody was passing anyone. When the race comes down to engineers computing tire and fuel conservation strategies the sport is broken. Indy oval driving is more exciting and unpredictable. They need to make some changes. Maybe more tire choices or spec engines for everyone? Formula E might be more exciting. They should make faux engine noises and it would increase viewership 50%. �� Maybe I’ll see them in NY this year. Austin is going to be a pass I think.

十人十色
Old 11 June 2018, 12:46 PM   #197
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Agree the race was boring. Other than Dani overtaking through pit stop strategy not much happened.

One thing is for sure is that Mercedes just doesn’t have it this year. Ferrari really stepped up their game after last year’s failure. If Ferrari had a more competitive 2nd driver, they’d win the WCC. Vettel is going to win the WDC while Mercedes will win the WCC.
Old 11 June 2018, 09:56 PM   #198
1st amg
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
I was there, Ferrari dominated much of the weekend. You can feel they were the car to beat.

Here is a pic of Vettel on his last lap of the race! Not the most exciting for sure, but for my 10 yr old son’s first live race it was a dream to see his favorite team win and hear the Italian national anthem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 10:15 PM   #199
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
Canada was even more boring than Monaco. The only excitement was in the first 30 seconds. I actually fell asleep and missed the last 10 laps. Or was it 9 because that model waved the checkered flag one lap early? The drivers all have handlers, maybe the local invited flag person should have one as well. They talked up the long straights and 3 DRS zones incessantly, but nobody was passing anyone. When the race comes down to engineers computing tire and fuel conservation strategies the sport is broken. Indy oval driving is more exciting and unpredictable. They need to make some changes. Maybe more tire choices or spec engines for everyone? Formula E might be more exciting. They should make faux engine noises and it would increase viewership 50%. �� Maybe I’ll see them in NY this year. Austin is going to be a pass I think.
The problems with the spectacle of F1 can be distilled into two words: aerodynamic grip.

Aerodynamic grip is a function of the downforce produced by the bodywork of the car - all the wings, winglets and curved surfaces you see. This is in contrast to mechanical grip - that which is produced by friction between the tyres and the tarmac. The increase in aerodynamic grip over the years has a visual analogue in the way the cars’ appearances have become more and more complex as more and more little bits have been added to them. Aerodynamic grip requires a smooth flow of air over the car, which is why the current generation of cars are struggling to perform overtakes because they lose so much performance following in the turbulent air of the car in front.

Amazingly, the radical changes to the cars implemented at the start of last season, intended to improve overtaking, had the exact opposite effect, precisely because they didn’t reduce the influence of aero (and this was predicted by people like Martin Brundle). Furthermore, mechanical grip - more of which would help the spectacle - is compromised by tyre compounds that, again despite being changed by Pirelli, continue to require management rather than allowing drivers to push hard on them through a whole stint.

The solution is pretty simple: reduce aero grip by amending the rules to outlaw complex front wing designs with multiple winglets and reduce the total number of allowable downforce producing surfaces on the car. Think the appearance of Senna’s iconic McLaren MP4/5 from the 1990 season. Cars would then be reliant on mechanical grip which isn’t compromised by following other cars. Add tyres that can be pushed to the limit but only last 20 laps or so before falling off a cliff, thereby producing 2-3 stop races adding tactical variety to increased overtaking and you have compelling, wheel-to-wheel F1.

I really have no idea why these types of change weren’t implemented years ago. Presumably lobbying from the top teams for one reason or other.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 11:19 PM   #200
77T
2024 Pledge Member

If you’re a team, or a driver, Canadian GP was a very rewarding race except for the Lap 1 incident. Some spectators find it boring when there aren’t incidents. Road racing is harder to appreciate live at the track unless you have access to all the info in race control. That’s why jumbo screens proliferate at the track - and attendance is struggling.

Here in US, the switch to ESPN has given us much more insight since Sky Sports provides the venue programming. While I didn’t mind the old NBC SN crew, I now see more info. If you hate Sky’s race coverage in your area, you can just imagine how poorly our’s was before the switch.

On throwing an early Checkered - I’ve had experts make the error both ways - Early and Late. It is unusual. But think about this: the rule books for all types of motorsports cover that possibility in detail for both cases. Ask yourself why - - because it’s happened enough in the past that you need a rule.

I can just imagine the convo on Charlie Whiting’s race control net. “Checkered is out” - “What?”

F1 spokesman Matteo Bonciani said there was confusion getting the message to Winnie Harlow on the platform.

I’ve seen worse - at Nashville back in 2008 the command to throw the Checkered was followed to the letter. It was done at the right time, and properly to the leader, but it was literally “thrown” from the platform down 50’ to the track surface. Which meant only a couple of cars saw it and we had to finally use Black Flag All (same as Red Flag in FIA) to stop the other cars from racing.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 12:14 AM   #201
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

I love F1 but it has one flaw and that is only about a 2% chance of the pack being bunched up after an incident. The races are won in qualifying most of the time because other than the first lap, once the pack gets spread out, there is nothing that reels them back up together to encourage good racing and passing.
Boring races, narrow tracks and ugly cars IMHO
Old 12 June 2018, 12:58 AM   #202
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
I love F1 but it has one flaw and that is only about a 2% chance of the pack being bunched up after an incident. The races are won in qualifying most of the time because other than the first lap, once the pack gets spread out, there is nothing that reels them back up together to encourage good racing and passing.
Boring races, narrow tracks and ugly cars IMHO

Yes the VSC neutralizes the field without bunching up the pack. This did have the impact you mentioned. But on the other hand, it balanced the gains a driver made during many green flag laps.

When a SC FCY is needed it does bunch them up - but “Yellows beget Yellows” as we know.

Some tracks in US have now mandated VSC’s to pull stricken cars from the circuit. It works that well for drivers. VIR has done this for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 09:50 AM   #203
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

According to the latest F1 tech release they are making some of the changes noted above to deal with the turbulence problem which will allow them to follow closer and pass better.
Changes to front and rear wing, changes to DRS, and a review of DRS zones at each track to promote overtraining.
Can’t hurt.

十人十色
Old 17 June 2018, 11:52 PM   #204
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Well, as a massive F1 fan I’m nothing but impressed with Le Mans!!!!

Huge congratulations to Alonso, a faultless drive.

Also massive congratulations to Patrick Dempsey for his maiden win as a team boss

What an event!

Sent from my iPhone
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 01:26 AM   #205
jatco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
Well, as a massive F1 fan I’m nothing but impressed with Le Mans!!!!

Huge congratulations to Alonso, a faultless drive.

Also massive congratulations to Patrick Dempsey for his maiden win as a team boss

What an event!

Sent from my iPhone
Same here ...on all accounts.
Kudos to Toyota and Alonso. ..( now if he could do that in 2hrs... )

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 01:33 AM   #206
Gentleman8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatco View Post
Kudos to Toyota and Alonso. ..( now if he could do that in 2hrs... )
He can.. but not in a McLaren car.
Old 18 June 2018, 02:16 AM   #207
jatco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman8 View Post
He can.. but not in a McLaren car.
True.. Good point.

Old 20 June 2018, 08:51 AM   #208
texasmade
"TRF" Member

RB officially switching to Honda!
Old 20 June 2018, 11:24 AM   #209
Gentleman8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
RB officially switching to Honda!
Methinks they will regret it.
Old 20 June 2018, 12:44 PM   #210
jatco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman8 View Post
Methinks they will regret it.
Maybe...maybe not...
"Lawrence Barretto [Senior Writer, F1.com] says…
This deal has been a possibility for years, but talks only became serious this season when Honda started to prove they had what it took to compete again at the highest level.

It is a risk for both sides. Red Bull want to win and switching to what is currently the fourth out of four engine manufacturers might not look like the best call on paper.

Meanwhile, Honda have worked with a big team before in McLaren and we all know how well that went. Linking up with a team that is tough on their suppliers could be a disaster.

But the partnership also makes sense for a lot of reasons. Red Bull have grown tired of Renault’s consistent failure to get on par with Mercedes and Ferrari.

They have been on the lookout for a new engine supplier to take them up the end of 2020, when it is hoped new manufacturers will be enticed to join F1 by the new engine rules.

In Honda, they get a company who are desperate to succeed after being burnt by their relationship with McLaren. They have the most to gain because of the law of diminishing returns.

They have also shown this season that they are capable of getting on top of their reliability problems and subsequently improving performance if they have the right conditions.

Red Bull will also be Honda’s main focus, whereas with Renault they were simply a customer. Honda can now focus on working with two teams who are under the same umbrella, making everything easier.

For Honda, they have the chance to prove they can win again in F1. Red Bull have shown time and time again they can deliver a leading chassis. There will be pressure, but Honda have gone through the growing pains and now have a better foundation on which to build.

It may not work out, but there are more positives than negatives to taking the plunge. And if it works out, this will almost certainly go down in history as one of F1’s greatest comeback stories."
Only time will tell.........!!