The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 January 2019, 02:03 AM   #91
ericksakti
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhawli View Post
So wait, they shortened the hour markers a little and remove a 1 liner text and that now makes the 15400 a busy dial?

Funny how now one ever mentioned that about the 15400 before the 15500 came out. You may prefer the 15500 more but to go as far as to claim the 15400 is soo busy you would opt to go for a chrono is plain silly.

Despite a “cleaner” dial of the 15500 the 15400 still looks more elegant. The new 15500 looks more robust and sporty especially with the minute track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
well this is subjective but I always prefer a cleaner dial compared to busy dial, for 3 hands I prefer as clean as possible, whereas for chrono its different story as I'm buying chrono for their complication.

I do have a 114060 and I do prefer the old 2 liners dial, as I prefer my dial as clean as possible, and I do feel like the word automatic is not important (hence why they removed it I guess), I do like patek 5711 as well and one of the reason I like it is the clean dial.

But I agree that the minute marker looks better on the 15400 compared to 15500, the new minute marker make the watch becomes more sportier than what I would like.

for date windows I do prefer bigger one, since its more legible.

again this is all personal choice but I do prefer 15500 personally, and the bigger movement suits the case much better in my opinion.
ericksakti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 02:11 AM   #92
Sho-nuff
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP │ ALS
For me, the 15500 is a good improvement over the 15400. The bigger movement fits the case properly and has a smoother sweep and better power reserve.

Minute track looks good to me. AP have used it on the Grande Complication and other high end models for many years.

Date window is now much better in size and placement. Maybe they could have added a tiny hour marker to separate it from the minute track, however when I saw the videos, I think the date window looks better than in the pictures.

The shorter, wider hour markers nicely complement the placement of the date window.

I am indifferent on the removal of the "Automatic" wording. Since this is a 3-hander, there will always be activity in the bottom half.
Sho-nuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 02:30 AM   #93
dmb359
2024 Pledge Member

both look great. I think I slightly prefer the look of the 15500, but probably not at a 10+% price increase.
Old 18 January 2019, 03:01 AM   #94
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
With all pros and cons and after a few days of looking at pics and thinking about it ... if I had to pick one today assuming both available, it would be a 15500 (I have a 15400 so it not an emotional "my watch is better" statement). I just like the sporty vibe. The biggest trade-off would be accepting the minute track, but I'd happily do that in exchange for the bigger movement visible in the back (I assume, I haven't seen pics).

PS ... as mentioned by RolexZen below, the shade and vibrancy of the blue on my 15400 is amazing. That would be a very hard trade off if the 500 is indeed darker.
Old 18 January 2019, 03:24 AM   #95
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
If I were to buy either at retail at this time, I would choose the 15500, even though it’s approx. 8% more expensive. That price difference is to be expected, with a new, larger movement running at a faster rate and with a longer power reserve.

I don’t think that the new minute tracker looks cheap, but I guess I would wait to see it in person. Personally, I do think that they can look cheap (see Pelagos), but I do not think this was changed for cost savings (that’s a real stretch). It simply looks sportier.

The larger date is nice. A smidge too close to the edge, but better than floating so close to the center.

Indifferent about the removal of Automatic. And disagree that everybody loves four lines of text on the Submariner. Probably better on the RO without the text, but we are used to Automatic so it looks a bit empty.

Small thing that has gone unmentioned, but I like that the AP logo is a bit larger and skeletonized. Was never crazy about the white in between the A and the P on the 15400 (though it looks fine on my Jumbo).

I like the new blue more, if it’s truly closer to the blue on my Jumbo, but would have preferred if they had stuck with the 15400 blue. I think the 15500 has in subtle ways differentiated itself a bit more from just being seen as the next size up from the 15202. It’s the mainstream sports watch in the Royal Oak line up. So I liked that the blue was a bit more vibrant on the 41mm offering.

But all in all, both are great watches. If I had a 15400, I would probably see things differently. And I certainly wouldn’t feel any remorse, and would love what I have.
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 03:40 AM   #96
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
If I were to buy either at retail at this time, I would choose the 15500, even though it’s approx. 8% more expensive. That price difference is to be expected, with a new, larger movement running at a faster rate and with a longer power reserve.

I don’t think that the new minute tracker looks cheap, but I guess I would wait to see it in person. Personally, I do think that they can look cheap (see Pelagos), but I do not think this was changed for cost savings (that’s a real stretch). It simply looks sportier.

The larger date is nice. A smidge too close to the edge, but better than floating so close to the center.

Indifferent about the removal of Automatic. And disagree that everybody loves four lines of text on the Submariner. Probably better on the RO without the text, but we are used to Automatic so it looks a bit empty.

Small thing that has gone unmentioned, but I like that the AP logo is a bit larger and skeletonized. Was never crazy about the white in between the A and the P on the 15400 (though it looks fine on my Jumbo).

I like the new blue more, if it’s truly closer to the blue on my Jumbo, but would have preferred if they had stuck with the 15400 blue. I think the 15500 has in subtle ways differentiated itself a bit more from just being seen as the next size up from the 15202. It’s the mainstream sports watch in the Royal Oak line up. So I liked that the blue was a bit more vibrant on the 41mm offering.

But all in all, both are great watches. If I had a 15400, I would probably see things differently. And I certainly wouldn’t feel any remorse, and would love what I have.
Excellent post. I haven't been overly vocal about why I actually like the 15500 more than the 15400 in a variety of ways, and that's probably because I am not currently an owner of one -- just someone stubborn enough to wait it out for a blue dial. At this level, the price increase is negligible (is it warranted for the newer, bigger movement, I don't know) and is small enough for me not to blink twice about whether or not I am still interested in buying one. Point is, it's a little different than the 5711A and 5712A getting a 20% price increase last year.

I personally don't mind the thicker hour markers. I think it gives the watch a more sporty look. I might take that one step further and say they look a bit more similar to the Nautilus hour markers now.

I like that they removed the "Automatic" text on the bottom half of the dial. Even if it creates an argument for dial imbalance, I'd rather have that than the lone word "Automatic" in the center of the bottom half of the dial.

I can't speak much to the subtle dial color change for the blue model. I understand why some are saying it looks like a step much closer to the 15202 dial color rather than what was an option on the 15400 (a brighter, truer blue).
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 04:00 AM   #97
edyu
2024 Pledge Member

I like 15500 better for sure. The thicker markers make it much more sporty. And of course it has a more modern movement. Not sure how much difference 0.6mm makes tbh. I feel whether a person prefers 15400 vs 15500 depends a lot on whether such person already has vested interest in 15400.
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 04:04 AM   #98
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edyu View Post
I like 15500 better for sure. The thicker markers make it much more sporty. And of course it has a more modern movement. Not sure how much difference 0.6mm makes tbh. I feel whether a person prefers 15400 vs 15500 depends a lot on whether such person already has vested interest in 15400.
Not necessarily. See my post two or three above.
Old 18 January 2019, 04:15 AM   #99
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

Agree. I own a 15400 and still prefer the 15500. Hope to get one soon.
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 04:17 AM   #100
sdh1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 LN
Added my name to the list for the 15500 (second in the queue). Apparently my AD has only been allocated 3 for the year and they don't expect to see any until Q4
Old 18 January 2019, 04:21 AM   #101
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
EAt this level, the price increase is negligible (is it warranted for the newer, bigger movement, I don't know) and is small enough for me not to blink twice about whether or not I am still interested in buying one. Point is, it's a little different than the 5711A and 5712A getting a 20% price increase last year.
Yes, I meant to mention that the 8% price increase is justified, not just for the technical improvements, but also just due to inflation and demand--the 41mm SS RO is clearly underpriced in today's market conditions, and 8% is a fair and safe increase (not just milking a possibly over-exuberant market).

Quote:
Not sure how much difference 0.6mm makes tbh.
Yep, meant to mention that as well--0.6 mm is negligible, and I would still consider it a thin sports watch at 41mm.
Old 18 January 2019, 05:01 AM   #102
edyu
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
Not necessarily. See my post two or three above.
Nod. You are right, it's not everyone. I'm not saying anyone who has 15400 dislikes 15500. I'm saying someone who has a vested interest which means someone who adores the 15400 and hates any changes except only the movement or someone who collects 15400 and hates any downside financially if 15500 makes 15400 less desirable (unlikely but you get my point).
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 05:09 AM   #103
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nod. You are right, it's not everyone. I'm not saying anyone who has 15400 dislikes 15500. I'm saying someone who has a vested interest which means someone who adores the 15400 and hates any changes except only the movement or someone who collects 15400 and hates any downside financially if 15500 makes 15400 less desirable (unlikely but you get my point).
Yeah, I agree. I do love the 15400 ... it's close to perfection but there are a couple very small details on the 15500 that work very well for me.
Old 18 January 2019, 05:35 AM   #104
Tschyvon
"TRF" Member

Watch: RO41, BLNR, LV,...
I was at the SIHH today and saw 15500 in the flesh. Well, I remain on the “15400 team” as I do not like the sportier look. Definitely not fan of the minute marker but it is everyone choice.
Still an amazing piece though.
Tschyvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 05:44 AM   #105
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tschyvon View Post
I was at the SIHH today and saw 15500 in the flesh. Well, I remain on the “15400 team” as I do not like the sportier look. Definitely not fan of the minute marker but it is everyone choice.
Still an amazing piece though.
Did u see the case back? Any pics?
Old 18 January 2019, 06:14 AM   #106
Tschyvon
"TRF" Member

Watch: RO41, BLNR, LV,...
Quote:
No I did not but let’s be honest we can imagine that the opening will be bigger. Probably to the same extend as the mouvement (5mm). I am not sure it will be a really game changer but will fill better the back.
I met the CEO, really nice guy.
Tschyvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 06:17 AM   #107
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

AP 15400 vs 15500

Quote:
Found some photos on a Korean website. The blue actually looks pretty vibrant, so maybe it's not the same as the 15202 blue?

https://www.timeforum.co.kr/SIHH/17094310

And finally a peek at the back-side on a Chinese website:

http://bbs.xbiao.com/850/750320.html

And a video, which shows the backside even better. So it is a skeletonized rotor after all:

http://geneva.xbiao.com/20190117/52362.html
Old 18 January 2019, 06:18 AM   #108
YoungMoneyAssassin
"TRF" Member

I'll take the 15400 over the 15500 any day of the week!

https://ibb.co/S3CYb6c
YoungMoneyAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 06:19 AM   #109
Phaedrus29
"TRF" Member

Own a 15400, but I like both 15400 and the new version. They are both really nice and I think it's really a toss up. New movement will be a big win, if reliable. The larger display back looks amazing.

One minor detail I haven't seen mentioned is that with the new minute track the minute hand no longer reaches the minute markers. Not a big deal but a small negative to me.
Phaedrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 06:19 AM   #110
YoungMoneyAssassin
"TRF" Member

YoungMoneyAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 06:31 AM   #111
Phaedrus29
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So it is a skeletonized rotor after all:
Discussed this a bit in the SIHH 2019 thread, but I'm not sure that rotor is a correct final version. The website shows one with the Audemars and Piguet crests, and they are displaying a movement at SIHH with them as well:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0907.jpg (139.3 KB, 509 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0911.jpg (132.9 KB, 505 views)
Phaedrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 06:36 AM   #112
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus29 View Post
Discussed this a bit in the SIHH 2019 thread, but I'm not sure that rotor is a correct final version. The website shows one with the Audemars and Piguet crests, and they are displaying a movement at SIHH with them as well:
Okay, fair enough. It's possible the rotor we see in the Chinese video may not be the production rotor, if the display model at SIHH is a non-finalized prototype.
Old 18 January 2019, 07:25 AM   #113
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Found some photos on a Korean website. The blue actually looks pretty vibrant, so maybe it's not the same as the 15202 blue?

It actually looks really good there. Sporty, but classic. Still not sure about the date font, though.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 07:37 AM   #114
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Looking at those pics and video I have to say that, at least until I see in real life, I prefer my 15400.
The movement might be bigger but I find the 3120 more aesthetically pleasing. Won't talk about the rotor until we know for sure. I also dislike the new date window placement, size and font ... and the minute hand is indeed a little on the short side.
Old 18 January 2019, 08:02 AM   #115
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Wow, the blue color on that Chinese website looks stunning!
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 08:16 AM   #116
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
Wow, the blue color on that Chinese website looks stunning!
Agreed! Thanks for posting, RolexZen!
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 10:17 AM   #117
lhawli
"TRF" Member

Quote:

And a video, which shows the backside even better. So it is a skeletonized rotor after all:

It is NOT a skeleton rotor as you show in the Chinese links.

Go to the AP website and take a look as the movement of the 15500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 10:20 AM   #118
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Looking at those pics and video I have to say that, at least until I see in real life, I prefer my 15400.
The movement might be bigger but I find the 3120 more aesthetically pleasing. Won't talk about the rotor until we know for sure. I also dislike the new date window placement, size and font ... and the minute hand is indeed a little on the short side.
The minute hand may explain why I like the 15500 so much. My only Rolex is a 214270 Mk1 after all
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 10:32 AM   #119
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Blue dial looks interesting, probably a different shade to the 400 but the Chinese pics make it look a bit petrol too. Minute track and thicker markers def make it look smaller and less bloated, reminds me of the 300, but that was a bit bezel heavy and squished for me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 10:49 AM   #120
ericksakti
"TRF" Member

Quote:

after looking at the video the watch looks even better, if given the choice, would you guys prefer the grey or black? I guess blue is out of the question since demand is too high
ericksakti is offline   Reply With Quote