The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 14 September 2012, 10:08 AM   #1
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
Icon6 Would you make the trade?

Hi all, decision making time. My beloved 251 Daylight is on the chopping block. I originally bought the white dial 251 because the watch looks so great on brightly colored straps and it just matched everything.

Looking back I have some regrets since the 7750 movement is fantastic but nothing you can't find on a $500 watch, white dial is not what PAM is known for and the dial is pretty busy although quite beautiful.

In the end I have decided to move on. It should come as no surprise that I have zeroed in on the 233 like so many others. Coveted 8 day in house movement with the fang indicator, sandwich dial, simple GMT hand that is easy to hide when not in use etc. I prefer the simple dot dial vs am/pm although both are fantastic.

I have a line on one locally from a reputable store. I can walk in and work face to face and they offer a 1 year warranty, although who knows what they will cover. I have no reason to seek another PAM model so I feel confident in my choice. It all comes down to the price.

The 233 has a non original, but OEM strap. (its black croc instead of the tunnel) This is not so bad since my 251 doesn't include the brown croc that it came with. When I bought mine I opted for a different color. My plan is to swap heads and keep what I have since I know it is OEM and in good condition. Both sides of the deal include all boxes and papers.

Interestingly enough they are both J series from about 2007.

Hard negotiations from both sides in email. Started at +6500 and it has been several days of back and forth.

Bottom line is $4500 on my end to deal the 251 for a 233 dot.

Example list price of a new 251 is $9500 vs $15900 for a new 233.
Example sales price of used 251 maybe $5500 vs $9500-10500 for a 233.

Minor scratches on the bezel of my 251. Haven't seen the 233 but they have on site watchmakers so I assume it has been cleaned up.

Deal or no deal?
Old 14 September 2012, 10:42 AM   #2
CoachRolexRyan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deep Sea
Yes. I think its a fair deal and you'll have one of the best Pams out there!
CoachRolexRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 10:57 AM   #3
CoachRolexRyan
"TRF" Member

Tony, I would walk in there with $4000 and be prepared to walk out if you have to. I thinks thats a better deal. And tell Albert I said hello
Old 14 September 2012, 12:23 PM   #4
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

Not familiar with the market for the 251, but from your math it seems like the trade-in is within $500 of what you would get if you sold it yourself. After selling 2 watches in the past couple weeks, I am qualified to say that avoiding fraudsters, lowballers, people who make offers then disappear, and random time wasters may easily be worth $500.

Cheers on the 233, mine arrives tomorrow.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 03:18 PM   #5
mrarchiegoodwin
"TRF" Member

Watch: GShock Frogman
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachRolexRyan View Post
Tony, I would walk in there with $4000 and be prepared to walk out if you have to. I thinks thats a better deal. And tell Albert I said hello
It IS a very small watch world. I wondered if Tony was referring to European Watch Company. I like Albert. I also like the 233. Thanks, Tony, for sharing your process. Most enlightening. Good luck with the negotiations.
mrarchiegoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 09:37 PM   #6
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

OK you guys sniffed it out! I don't know Albert, I am working with another fellow also named Tony. I've spent a lot of visits with him in the past looking over the selections in the candy store but never purchased. They are quite knowledgeable and have a vast selection. I was never able to make a deal though. Never the exact piece I wanted or the price was too high.

As stated I think I am within $500 of the best I could hope for when selling the 251 privately and buying a 233 here on TRF.

They won't move to $4000, that was the line in the sand. I can try it though... also sales tax to consider... will be $280 on the difference!
Old 14 September 2012, 11:39 PM   #7
CoachRolexRyan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
OK you guys sniffed it out! I don't know Albert, I am working with another fellow also named Tony. I've spent a lot of visits with him in the past looking over the selections in the candy store but never purchased. They are quite knowledgeable and have a vast selection. I was never able to make a deal though. Never the exact piece I wanted or the price was too high.

As stated I think I am within $500 of the best I could hope for when selling the 251 privately and buying a 233 here on TRF.

They won't move to $4000, that was the line in the sand. I can try it though... also sales tax to consider... will be $280 on the difference!
Ok, $4500, cash in hand no tax. Good luck.
Old 14 September 2012, 11:49 PM   #8
mws222
Banned

Sounds like a fair deal to me, plus I really like the 233
mws222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2012, 12:00 AM   #9
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

My wife is miffed because she loves the 251 and she helped to pick it out. It is true, it is fantastic..... I have a baby blue and a lime green OEM croc straps and it just looks amazing.... But man o man is that 233 a wonder!!!!
Old 15 September 2012, 12:18 AM   #10
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Good luck, the 233 is great.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2012, 03:05 AM   #11
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Just throwing it out there, but, why not consider keeping what you have and picking up a pre-owned zero, 111 or 112 with the cash you'd otherwise spend on the 233?
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2012, 04:00 AM   #12
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Just throwing it out there, but, why not consider keeping what you have and picking up a pre-owned zero, 111 or 112 with the cash you'd otherwise spend on the 233?
A worthy question! I gave it a lot of thought and the 233 embodies all of the things I think of and desire in a Panerai.

Sandwich dial
Mostly clean dial, not so busy as the 251
In house movement
The 8-10 day movements are a technical marvel
The fang power reserve also says PAM to me

Even with 2 different watches I don't think I can get all or most of those features. Maybe try for a 312/320/321 was another option, and keep the 251.
Old 15 September 2012, 04:34 AM   #13
jhcam8
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_mcgee View Post
Not familiar with the market for the 251, but from your math it seems like the trade-in is within $500 of what you would get if you sold it yourself. After selling 2 watches in the past couple weeks, I am qualified to say that avoiding fraudsters, lowballers, people who make offers then disappear, and random time wasters may easily be worth $500.

Cheers on the 233, mine arrives tomorrow.
Agree - saves the nerves. The dealers have to wet their beaks and it costs you a little to wear a watch for a while, then move up.
jhcam8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2012, 07:21 AM   #14
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
My wife is miffed because she loves the 251 and she helped to pick it out. It is true, it is fantastic..... I have a baby blue and a lime green OEM croc straps and it just looks amazing.... But man o man is that 233 a wonder!!!!
ditto.

i have a 196 Daylight my wife insists i keep. its probably my most love-hate watch in my collection BUT when i compare it to my 210 with a simple unitas mov, i always end up agreeing with her. probably the best luminor value out there. imo
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2012, 08:19 AM   #15
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

The 233's a great piece! Good luck!
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2012, 10:13 AM   #16
GBJIV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A worthy question! I gave it a lot of thought and the 233 embodies all of the things I think of and desire in a Panerai.

Sandwich dial
Mostly clean dial, not so busy as the 251
In house movement
The 8-10 day movements are a technical marvel
The fang power reserve also says PAM to me

Even with 2 different watches I don't think I can get all or most of those features. Maybe try for a 312/320/321 was another option, and keep the 251.
233 is a Class Act... Hard to blame you...