The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 March 2023, 01:12 AM   #1
jadis1096
"TRF" Member

New poster! Question about Tudor GMT

Hi all! Long time browser (like many) and first time poster! I have owned a number of watches over the years, like Omega and Heuer, and currently own an Explorer 2 polar, blue stick datejust 41, and a sub from 2005 (I guess that’s vintage at this point!).

I’m looking at buying a Tudor GMT, and am deciding between the two tone root beer model and the steel pepsi. Also unsure of leather strap or bracelet. Was looking for opinions from people who have owned the watch a little while and their experience? Thanks again, and thank you fro all the posts over the years, they have provided a lot,of enjoyment!
jadis1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 01:34 AM   #2
waxy88
"TRF" Member

I bought the Tudor Pepsi GMT last year and specifically went for it on the leather strap as I felt it really lifted the colours on the bezel. I also got offered the root beer GMT, but declined as I didn’t feel the colour combinations worked well together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waxy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 01:35 AM   #3
waxy88
"TRF" Member

Root beer GMT for comparison

waxy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 01:46 AM   #4
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Bought my BB GMT new from a fellow TB'er [Thanks, Kevin!] in 2019. It instantly became my favorite watch. Mine came / the leather strap, which I've never worn. Bought the rivet bracelet, which I love for the vintage stair step taper.

But the BB GMT, in either stainless or 2 tone, is a strap magnet. Looks amazing on AM jubilees, parachute style, rubber, or leather.
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_P1290308_1024.jpg (143.6 KB, 602 views)
File Type: jpg 1st-TRF.JPG (281.4 KB, 605 views)
File Type: jpg obW4erQIRDytsPiK0ZqjYw_thumb_11641.jpg (83.7 KB, 604 views)
File Type: jpg IY%NvMveS8++andnwB2J7g_thumb_1165b.jpg (185.9 KB, 607 views)
File Type: jpg I%QQf2UUQg6zp4B2hgnsSg_thumb_116d6.jpg (255.5 KB, 604 views)
File Type: jpg 31st TRF.JPG (266.4 KB, 597 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 02:23 AM   #5
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I got mine (red/blue) on the leather strap with deployant. This was at the AD when they were first released and were hard to get. When they called me that they had on strap I was reluctant, but after I tried it on I loved it. I then added the bracelet later. My suggestion is get both strap and bracelet. Great to switch up. Totally changes the personality of the watch.

As far as root beer vs red/blue I would say whichever works better with your current collection. If you are looking to add some two tone to your collection I thing the root beer is a great way to go.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 03:31 AM   #6
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
Outstanding watch - I owned the BB GMT twice. I wasn’t a fan of it on straps because the lug holes are placed very low on the inside of the lugs, so a ton of case shows. I had a hard time getting a comfortable fit on the bracelet, which is why it’s gone.

For me, I wish it worked, because it’s a stunner. I ended up ditching it - and it is not missed one bit - and snagging the BB Pro, which I like a lot. Slightly smaller diameter + adjustability in the bracelet worked for me better, even with the same thickness.

Love the look of the root beer GMT. Color scheme is great in my view.

Good luck picking and I hope you enjoy wearing.
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 03:37 AM   #7
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Can't go wrong with either. But given your collection I'd opt for the TT one. I have a 126610LN and a 126334BLSJ.
Enjoyed the BB GMT in stainless steel for three years before selling it. Will be upgrading to the TT this year myself, unless something groundbreaking in the GMT lineup gets released at W&W. The warmer hues of brown and gold / gilt is what my lineup is currently lacking, besides the GMT complication.
As best practice I'd opt for the bracelet version and order the leather and fabric strap too later on. But since the 1,3K difference isn't negligible, can work either way. It's a fantastic watch, you'll love it

@Dan: LOVE those shots of your BB GMT. Should be on Tudor's website, really

Curiously enough, I feel more excited than ever in the prospect of acquiring the TT, almost the same as my first Rolex. Go figure...
Old 20 March 2023, 04:50 AM   #8
nyyankees
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1216610
I’ve had both the regular GMT on bracelet and the GMT Root Beer on strap. They latter is by far my favorite. I recently traded it and Ponycar350 has it listed on the forum. You should buy it from him. I barley wore it!

nyyankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 05:18 AM   #9
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by minute_man View Post
Can't go wrong with either. But given your collection I'd opt for the TT one. I have a 126610LN and a 126334BLSJ.
Enjoyed the BB GMT in stainless steel for three years before selling it. Will be upgrading to the TT this year myself, unless something groundbreaking in the GMT lineup gets released at W&W. The warmer hues of brown and gold / gilt is what my lineup is currently lacking, besides the GMT complication.
As best practice I'd opt for the bracelet version and order the leather and fabric strap too later on. But since the 1,3K difference isn't negligible, can work either way. It's a fantastic watch, you'll love it

@Dan: LOVE those shots of your BB GMT. Should be on Tudor's website, really

Curiously enough, I feel more excited than ever in the prospect of acquiring the TT, almost the same as my first Rolex. Go figure...
Thanks, Basil!
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 07:09 AM   #10
SMPc
"TRF" Member

I have the Pepsi on bracelet. It’s a great watch and like others already mentioned, a total strap magnet :)
SMPc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 07:19 AM   #11
taybo20
"TRF" Member

I had mine on the rubber strap from above (pic 4). I loved the look! But the watch just felt too big. The case felt massive.
taybo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 07:21 AM   #12
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Dan convinced me of the jubilee addition awhile back… love it

And welcome to TRF Jadi
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F801F1DA-C512-4915-985F-63FF71D11F8E.jpeg (112.5 KB, 452 views)
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 12:13 PM   #13
Holodeck
"TRF" Member

I think the date wheel getting stuck is still an issue that requires trips back to the RSC.
Holodeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 02:19 PM   #14
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holodeck View Post
I think the date wheel getting stuck is still an issue that requires trips back to the RSC.
There are very few accounts, if any, of this problem nowadays. At this point I would consider it (mostly) fixed, especially for new stock.
And, realistically, even if it did occur, Rolex will still fix it free of charge, even out of warranty. I had to send my own in twice for the date and once for a power reserve issue. Granted RSC Athens is a 30 min drive from where I stay, every time was an opportunity for some shopping and a nice stroll downtown so that was hardly an inconvenience
Old 20 March 2023, 09:54 PM   #15
nyyankees
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1216610
Never a date issue with either of my Tudor GMT’s. One was from 2021 and the other 2022.

nyyankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 04:44 AM   #16
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Pepsi on bracelet, then buy a ton of straps!

I love the CHNR but can't afford one, so I was SUPER pumped when the steel and gold Tudor was released. I was at my AD the first day they got one in, and for whatever reason, the yellow gold just didn't sit well with me with that bezel and dial combo.

If you love it though, that's all that counts. I think the red/blue Tudor has a kind of aluminum bezel GMT Master "feel", but I just didn't get the same vibes with the steel and gold though.

Such a great watch though in either iteration. Very accurate, Lots of wrist presence, tremendous value for a flyer GMT. If your Polar fits your wrist well enough, the Tudor will wear splendidly. The BBPRO is another option worthy of a look, though it will seem very small if you are used to your Explorer II.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 12:07 PM   #17
RampageWatch
Banned

I tried both ss gmt and s&g iterations on the weekend. I really like them both, a lot.
But already have ss bb41, so I think the s&g is my way to go. I think, contrary to some, the matt gold works really well with the colours.

I'm also thinking next week they'll launch their new ss jubilee bracelet on the gmt.
And if you have seen the new s&g jubilee bracelet on the bb41, it's very nice.
RampageWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 11:26 PM   #18
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I have both on leather. IMO, it wears much more comfortably than the bracelet, which is not known for its adjustability. (However, having said that, the US half link is a real game changer and is available for a nominal cost.)
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 12:41 AM   #19
MJZRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060M
I bought my Tudor Pepsi GMT on the steel bracelet when it first became available and really like it. In fact, I'm wearing it right now. You can't beat the bracelet for the Tudor Pepsi.
MJZRolex is offline   Reply With Quote