Old 21 March 2023, 05:48 PM   #31
Watchsama
"TRF" Member

Sorry OP, you got played
Watchsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 05:49 PM   #32
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

i would change to another AD, however, I also believe 12 month waiting time is still short, compared to others.
If you are interested in Rolex only, try to find any shop selling only Rolex to avoid this hassle.
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 06:05 PM   #33
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohada View Post
Since I live in NC, I thought I'd reach out to the OP via PM. We did connect. Without going into the weeds, I did confirm that we both are dealing with the same AD, albeit different locations. To contrast his original post with my experience and to level set this thread for those engaged, here is my experience with the same company.

I had several professional watches on my list to include any GMT. After a year or so of developing the relationship with someone I genuinely like, I received a call that a Pepsi was in with my name on it. I had zero spend history with my location, much less spent anywhere near $30,000+ in extraneous purchases to earn the right to be considered for a Rolex. So, there's that for those who believe you must have spend history. What does appear to be true (as has been said many times in many ways) is that it clearly varies from one retailer to the next, and even intra-company for multi-location chains, on how watches are disseminated to customers. That's an equation that will also vary by locale, country, sales strategy, etc.

I hope to catch up with the OP this week to share any further insights I can regarding his location and the chain itself. When I first started a relationship with my location, the manager told me the company's philosophy was to expand their retail base by trying to supply watches to more clients versus a core group, since any core group will eventually die off. Expanding the base is certainly not an uncommon component for a sales strategy. Based on my experience with a different storefront, that appears to be what my location is doing. Another friend of mine got a Sub without any prior spend history at my location. A tale of two cities. I hope I can help.
Nice gesture.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 06:37 PM   #34
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
It certainly sounds like you have been played. I'm in NC and I can narrow this down to two AD's just from your post. If it's either of the two, I can give a third that is honest and treats customers, like customers without the games.

Luckily, I control my money. It spends anywhere I choose to on what I want. That is if I deem the AD worthy of MY attention. If not, I put them on my "S" list.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 06:54 PM   #35
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Never buy anything you don't want ... ever!

Drop that SA and AD.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 07:07 PM   #36
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

In such a situation I would take it up with the manager or store owner. I've been in a similar situation with a car dealer. I went in for a 1:1 sit down with the dealer principle. Civilised, factual, and well worth my time for the result it produced.

Or you could just go elsewhere. Your choice. At least you now know who not to approach.

All the best with it.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 07:08 PM   #37
lab rat
"TRF" Member

I’m sorry to hear about such a bad experience with Rolex AD. It really sounds like a scam when you put it that way. But… didn’t you try to play the game? You had your plan to befriend them, to buy some pieces, and to get the watch you want by basically jumping over the others who were on the list before you. Don’t get me wrong, you seem like a proper, straightforward guy who is following the rules, but once you get into that “relationship building” thing, you can expect things like this. They are salesman after all, and they are sizing you up. If they can sell you one million Tudor watches, they will do it. That’s their job.

I believe there are two ways to get a watch from Rolex AD: one is to send them a message it’s good for them to sell to you, and the other is to really befriend someone who works there. Not “build relationship”, but befriend.

The first part is not as easy as it seems. It’s not about buying your way in. Sometimes it’s quite the opposite: I got my first Rolex by stopping by the AD, meeting the salesman and talking with him about watches for one hour. I really had a good time, that guy was knowledgeable and I could talk with him about other brands, too. At the end of conversation I asked to be put on the list for Sub, he said ok but no guarantees or promises. I didn’t call
or stop by the AD for the next few months. Then there was a price hike, so I send SMS telling him I would still be interested, and adding that I don’t want to spam him with messages and visits because I know everyone else is doing exactly that. He said thanks, and few months later he called me to come and pick up my watch. Mind you, this AD is the only one in the surrounding area and has really, really big turnover.

Or, to put it shortly, my choice was not to play games because I am not good at them.
lab rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 07:49 PM   #38
travisb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes..
Pretty ballsy SA. Sorry to hear Mr. Z.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 07:53 PM   #39
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum.

Go gray and save yourself the time, aggravation and money.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 08:50 PM   #40
rmlovett1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Question for the OP…..were all the purchases you’ve made going to be made regardless of trying to build a relationship?
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 09:00 PM   #41
stark1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/ALS/Omega
I would definitely bring this absurd sales tactic to the attention of the manager. Think of it this way:
1. You plan to cut ties with this AD already, so you have very little to lose in trying.
2. If the manager isn't informed about this type of behavior, it's likely going to continue from this SA. You are already so turned off, something has to change.

Everyone's experiences vary, but FWIW, I was able to acquire a BLNR from an AD with much less purchase history than you, though it was tied to a big occasion.
stark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 09:17 PM   #42
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

Long time reader lol. Joined March 2023. Fake story and post.
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
rmwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 09:19 PM   #43
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Bro. DavidSW or Patrick. Stop the games.
Old 21 March 2023, 09:20 PM   #44
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am also in North Carolina and know all of the AD's from years of trying to do business. There is only one that has earned my business and it is Windsor. They only carry Rolex in the Charlotte store but do have a very nice boutique. The others have lost my business for poor customer relations and a game playing mentality. If you want a Submariner then you have the ability to pick one up now through one of our Trusted Sellers for slightly over retail plus tax. You can pay and have the watch on your wrist tomorrow by lunch. If you want the BLNR use the cash you were going to spend on the model from the AD and trade the Trusted Seller the Speedy/Tudor or both. It is about the watches and the relationship game works very well with Trusted Sellers as they appreciate your business and are very straight forward. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 09:29 PM   #45
Hulkhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Does sound a poor move for him to send you a pic of Batman to get you into the store.

However, buying a couple of things and expecting to get a BLNR straight away is also unrealistic. There are many more people in the same position as you, who have likely been a customer for longer. You are pretty fresh in the door.

A GMT as your first Rolex purchase is a tall order, no impossible, but not likely I’m afraid.
ADs operate differently but in general a steel GMT isn’t going to feesable as your first Rolex purchase. You will likely have to build up to it, annoying, yes but that’s how it goes. It takes a few years of loyalty to be a truely established customer.
Buying those other bits definitely helps your case but doesn’t automatically grant you a queue jump pass.

It could also be the sales rep you are dealing with. It makes a big difference. Some have way more sway than others when it comes to allocations.
Hulkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 11:18 PM   #46
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

The bait and switch is absolutely awful. You should be justifiably livid.

That being said, is a year a long time to wait for a Batman? I didn’t think it was.

So if that’s the case, does it make sense to not buy anything else and wait, get the watch you want and then be done with this AD?
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 11:33 PM   #47
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Honestly, it sounds like the typical scam that most of them try to pull.
And apparently it did work. But only up to a point.
Old 21 March 2023, 11:49 PM   #48
Mr. Z
"TRF" Member

Thank you

Everyone, thank you so much for your time and consideration to respond to my post. Honestly, i am taken back by the empathy and encouragement.

a few points of clarification-

1. I do completely agree that a 15k-16k spend may not be enough to expect a GMT Batman. I believed that to be the case for the last 12 months. It was only after coffee with the SA around Christmas time that when he had me try on rolexes to see what i liked (after buying the tudor gmt) that he said, "my friend, for you, a GMT batman and Sub are the same wait. Choose what you like more." That of course surprised me based upon what is often said on these discussion boards. I should also mention, that back in February he texted me out of the blue asking what i preferred of the two (sub-gmt). And, of course, it prompted me to come into the store where he wanted to show me a pelagos and a seamaster (two watches I legitimately may buy in the next year or two) but, then when i asked about the GMT/sub he played it off and said he didn't have it (1st time). As i look back, i am beginning to feel like was in denial that i was in an unhealthy relationship. After he pushed me this far, I can look back and see that over the last 9 months his vague promises and slippery tactics were things i overlooked believing that they were par for the course.

2. I did purchase the Speedmaster, necklace, ring, and Tudor GMT for two purposes. I both liked all the items, and believed I was strengthening a relationship with the AD. My grandfather worked as an engineer for Red bell rocketry in the 1960s and so when my twin daughters were born last year, i was thinking about family and was excited to buy the speedy. And, I have plans to buy several more non-rolex watches. In time, i would like to buy a tank, seamaster, IWC spitfire, etc. I legitimately want to be in the watch enthusiast world. Which is why this whole experience is so much more perplexing. Why would the SA knowingly burn the bridge with a client that is planning to make other purchases in the future? I don't expect a rolex, but i do expect the SA honest when they set expectations.

3. And this is really a question for everyone on the board- How do you trust a gray market dealer? I went to the AD because i didn't want to waste money on a fake rolex. Knowing that I can see the best in people, i realize i can be taken advantage of by fake salespeople. Example- last month i purchased two bottles of "stagg jr" bourbon at a massive over-market surplus only to realize the bottles were real but the bourbon was more akin to basic JB. I completely understand how foolish that makes me look, believe me. But, now, with this guy, i realize i have been taken for another ride even though he flies under the banner of a legit operation. If you purchased a rolex online or through gray market, do you still take it to an AD to authenticate?

Thank you all again for your help! You are the best!
Mr. Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 12:05 AM   #49
Mr. Z
"TRF" Member

I have been searching Rolex questions on google and reading forum responses for 11 months. Long time? I guess it is relative. And compared to your 5 year membership, it is not long. Did not realize I’d be considered fake news for being prompted to actually create an account if I wanted to post looking for advice. Are you the SA at Finks in Durham I have been dealing with rmwill?
Mr. Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 12:18 AM   #50
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwill View Post
Long time reader lol. Joined March 2023. Fake story and post.
People can read posts on the Forum and not join as a member, they just cannot post unless they join as the OP has.

I also believe the OP's story has merit. It isn't far off from many of the AD extortion tactics often reported by other members and my experiences as well.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 12:31 AM   #51
MJZRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060M
We have heard stories like this before and I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this AD. I would go to both the owner and the manager explaining your history, your prior purchasers and the situation with your SA. Hopefully the AD team will be sympathetic, apologize and keep you in mind with your GMT or Sub request, but it may take some time. I hope things work out for you.
MJZRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 12:54 AM   #52
sj24k
"TRF" Member

Reading these type of posts drives me nuts. Don’t put yourself through this stuff for a watch.

Register your interest. Decide how long you’re willing to wait. Don’t buy anything you don’t 100% want. Walk away from any salesperson who even gives a whiff of dishonestly.

If you don’t want to wait any longer, buy the watch from a trusted reseller and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 12:56 AM   #53
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
The sales guy thought he had you hook, line and sinker, that's all. The way you described it, it sounds like he talked you into buying some watches and jewelry that you otherwise wouldn't have needed.

Text or call him back and let him know you are only interested in Rolex and nothing else. Be calm and firm, that always works much better than being angry or upset. You are the one who decides how the money is spent, you are in control.

Think of it this way: what is the worst that can happen if you don't get your Rolex? Nothing. Life goes on, you don't need a Rolex to live a fulfilled life. Once you let that sink in, you will be at peace and the salesperson will no longer have any leverage over you.

Don't waste any more money on watches that do nothing for you.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 01:07 AM   #54
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
Think of it this way: what is the worst that can happen if you don't get your Rolex? Nothing. Life goes on, you don't need a Rolex to live a fulfilled life.
I beg to differ
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 01:13 AM   #55
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

You lost me at "was interviewed by" and receiving a welcome letter to the Rolex wait list...

He thinks you're a mark and whether you actually wanted all the pieces you bought beforehand or not, I would go somewhere else.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 01:16 AM   #56
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Go gray and save yourself the time, aggravation and money.
If this is the kind of AD you are dealing with, the above is the advice you should take. For all you spent on those other items that will probably get far less wrist time once you get a Rolex you've always wanted, you could have gone grey and been done with it.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 01:20 AM   #57
JoeJoeBobo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
This. Plus one. DavidSW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With this route OP would have 1 watch at 2x retail. In AD’s scenario OP would at least have 2 timepieces for less than David SW. While not ideal still better then then buying gray.

I would just suggest patience in finding a different AD that doesn’t play games instead of enriching a gray dealer for any watch over msrp.
JoeJoeBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 01:24 AM   #58
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date 41
I also started my Rolex journey at the start of this year in Chicago. I've visited several ADs and the experience is starkly different.

One AD blatantly said I needed to buy jewelry to be considered for a Rolex. While others directly told me, they get about 4-6 BLNRs a year which makes it hard to get, approximately 6 months to a year.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 01:25 AM   #59
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
It sounds like you think of the other things you bought as means to an end to get the GMT, and the AD thinks they have you hook line and sinker. I personally like Tudors and Omegas but I'd never buy one just to maybe get a Rolex.

Go gray, don't play the AD games anymore. You're in an abusive relationship with a watch store. Tell them they treated you like crap. If they call you later (they might) and offer you a watch you already bought grey, buy it too and move one or the other.
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 01:29 AM   #60
Jim_GMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Seems like you've been misled completely with the GMT picture. I haven't found the need to keep popping to the AD to get friendly so we say in the UK, you've definitely been led up the garden path by this guy.