The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 August 2020, 03:10 PM   #1
kans86
"TRF" Member

Daytona 116518 OF Paul Newman dial opinions?

Several times I almost got one but then stopped as I couldn't get pass the rubber strap. Want to know if there are many owners here and how would you like this watch so far. Maybe you can help me make up my mind. Pictures would be nice. Thanks (picture not mine).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kans86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 03:36 PM   #2
Snake Plissken
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Not an owner but this is my favorite Daytona reference. Glad it's not so popular so maybe I can pick one up someday :)

If you're not into the OF you can get the dial on full YG, too.
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 04:22 PM   #3
kans86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Not an owner but this is my favorite Daytona reference. Glad it's not so popular so maybe I can pick one up someday :)

If you're not into the OF you can get the dial on full YG, too.
Thank you. The dial is the same on the full YG, but I think the case has some differences aside from the ceramic bezel, such as lug width, etc. I prefer the later case.
Old 16 August 2020, 04:41 PM   #4
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Great piece. Can anyone fill me in on what makes this dial part of the Paul Newman lineage?

EtherBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 05:05 PM   #5
Snake Plissken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherBrown View Post
Great piece. Can anyone fill me in on what makes this dial part of the Paul Newman lineage?

I believe because it recalls the old matte black and gold reverse panda dials like this

Old 16 August 2020, 05:25 PM   #6
kans86
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback. Anyone know if it is possible to put a YG bracelet on this one? Such as using the bracelet of the 16508.

Old 16 August 2020, 07:18 PM   #7
mray2686
"TRF" Member

Watch: Kermit
I enjoy mine. The rubber strap makes it a sportier version of the Daytona. The dial looks incredible in person. Overall a great watching my collection.

Tudor Pelagos 39 // Tudor Black Bay Pro
mray2686 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 08:18 PM   #8
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
bought, and sold. had the same thoughts as you about the rubber strap. whilst the watch is absolutley fantastic it just didnt fit in for me with rubber, ultimatley moved it on.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 08:47 PM   #9
kans86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mray2686 View Post
I enjoy mine. The rubber strap makes it a sportier version of the Daytona. The dial looks incredible in person. Overall a great watching my collection.

Look greats. Go well with the Porsche.
Old 16 August 2020, 08:50 PM   #10
kans86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
bought, and sold. had the same thoughts as you about the rubber strap. whilst the watch is absolutley fantastic it just didnt fit in for me with rubber, ultimatley moved it on.
Agree. That's why I thought putting it on a YG bracelet of the 16508.
Old 16 August 2020, 09:26 PM   #11
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I believe because it recalls the old matte black and gold reverse panda dials like this

Terrific! Thanks for the lesson!

EtherBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 10:23 PM   #12
Alan111
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I don't think this is a considered a Paul Newman dial. This is the John Player model I believe.
Alan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 10:30 PM   #13
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I love this watch. I think it might just be the best looking modern Daytona. Maybe second behind Platona. Yet I'm more interested in GT3. Would be even better as a manual IMO.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 11:21 PM   #14
Snake Plissken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan111 View Post
I don't think this is a considered a Paul Newman dial. This is the John Player model I believe.
Yeah don't take my word for it, I'm definitely not an expert on vintage. I do recall seeing a dial very similar on a vintage model to the watch discussed in the OP but a google search turned up nothing.

This is the article I sourced the pic from: https://amsterdamvintagewatches.com/...ul-newman-14k/
If you believe what's written here they say that the JPS is a subset of PNs

Maybe someone could chime in on why the watch in the OP is known as "Paul Newman". I know that it isn't really a true PN since it doesn't have the crosshair squares in the subdials.
Old 17 August 2020, 12:00 AM   #15
GreatCircle
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Love the red second hand , very nice watch!
GreatCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 01:25 AM   #16
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
One just sold for over $1.5 million
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 01:31 AM   #17
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kans86 View Post
Several times I almost got one but then stopped as I couldn't get pass the rubber strap. Want to know if there are many owners here and how would you like this watch so far. Maybe you can help me make up my mind. Pictures would be nice. Thanks (picture not mine).

Does carbon fiber give you pause when looking at a car? Serious question.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 01:41 AM   #18
giruto
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT, Hulk, TOG
Quote:

Astonishing

giruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 04:20 AM   #19
Masteryacht
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622,BLNR,116500
I love it!
Masteryacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 04:46 AM   #20
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Love the dial, own it with full bracelet.

jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 04:54 AM   #21
prnceofpersia23
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:

Perfect pairing of car and watch!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
prnceofpersia23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 04:57 AM   #22
spersky
"TRF" Member

Its my favorite Daytona Dial except maybe the Green Dial Daytona.
spersky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 05:45 AM   #23
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
I have it on the bracelet. I like the gold bezel with the bracelet and ceramic with the oysterflex

Old 17 August 2020, 06:48 AM   #24
spare
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
I believe it's both... It's indeed the John Player Special, referencing the livery of the Lotus F1 cars from the 70s.
However, the dial also features the typical Paul Newman hashmarks on the chrono dials and the difference in color on the outer ring.
I believe all JPS are Paul Newman variants.
Old 17 August 2020, 11:17 AM   #25
rollrex
"TRF" Member

If it came with a gold bracelet and ceramic bezel, I'd risk the 'household' blowback and wave it in.
rollrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 11:23 AM   #26
aknajera
"TRF" Member

Would love to see one in person. I think the ceramic pairs nicely with the OF bracelet.
aknajera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 12:22 PM   #27
Famz_01
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and Rolex
my next watch is a rose gold daytona oyster flex. I am so excited to get a watch on a rubber, haven't worn once since I used to own Panerai watches
Famz_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 02:42 PM   #28
michael23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleP View Post
I have it on the bracelet. I like the gold bezel with the bracelet and ceramic with the oysterflex

Beautiful. This exact Daytona with the full gold bracelet along with the Platinum Daytona (with baguettes) are my two favourite watches from Rolex.
michael23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 03:36 PM   #29
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
Quote:

Maybe someone could chime in on why the watch in the OP is known as "Paul Newman". I know that it isn't really a true PN since it doesn't have the crosshair squares in the subdials.
The watch in the OP isn't known as a Paul Newman. Simply, the OP is calling it that and has probably heard other people say it because they are just using a lazy stereotype that if a Daytona has three colours on the dial and solid contrasting subdials (panda style regardless of colour), that's a bit like the old Paul Newmans...

On the old models, the more 'exotic' dials which differentiated the ones that became known as Paul Newman from the normal dials of the time (even where the normal dials had solid (panda / reverse panda) subdials, had the following features:

- subdials have a different art deco style font and the dashes have squares on the end; the minutes subdial has 4 quadrants ie 15,30,45,60 rather than 20 40 60.

- the seconds are marked on a separate track around the edge of the dial with a different background colour to the main dial

- the 5 minute markers are small square blocks rather than rectangles / longer baton markers

- the seconds on the track and the 'daytona' text (if there is any daytona text) may be in a third colour e.g. red (but not always)

The current model in YG doesn't have the art deco font or the square dashes on subdials or the 4 quadrants, the separate background colour for the seconds track, the small blocks for 5-min markers. It doesn't have any of that stuff that Paul Newman's watch had.

Stylistically, apart from having red on the daytona text and seconds markers, it's like the non PN one on the left on the image below, rather than the PN one on the right (image borrowed from hodinkee, originally from antiquorum.com):

I suppose the OP is saying that if you look at old Daytonas, the colour scheme of the current yellow gold OF is a bit like this one below, which is considered a 'PN'-type exotic dial with champagne subdials on black, and a black bezel, and a gold case.

But 'similar colour scheme to one of the PNs' doesn't mean you should call it a PN.

Anyway, back to the OP's question:
Quote:
lmost got one but then stopped as I couldn't get pass the rubber strap. Want to know if there are many owners here and how would you like this watch so far.
I don't have this one (116518), instead I have the 116519LN (white gold model, grey / steel dial on oysterflex). I'm not much of a fan of yellow gold.

But for me it was very easy to 'get past the rubber strap'. It's a great strap which is comfortable and stays in place, the strap and ceramic bezel won't scratch and scuff the same way a soft PM would, and the contrast of the black strap against the precious metal case looks very nice, and you still get a proper PM clasp. I preferred it to a full precious metal bracelet .

While a precious metal bracelet is more 'traditional', some would describe that as 'timeless' while others would say 'old fashioned'. I'm not a YG guy although I think perhaps the oysterflex suits the white gold better than the yellow gold because the rubber strap in black is a good contrast against the silvery steel dial, while a yellow gold bracelet might be a better contrast against the black dial of the yellow gold model.

I've had my 116519LN less than a couple of months but it's my favourite watch. If you prefer the colour scheme of the 518LN, go for it.

I posted a few thoughts on mine (and a bit more detail about the strap) on this thread last month: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=751003
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 10:35 PM   #30
kans86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountank2000 View Post
The watch in the OP isn't known as a Paul Newman. Simply, the OP is calling it that and has probably heard other people say it because they are just using a lazy stereotype that if a Daytona has three colours on the dial and solid contrasting subdials (panda style regardless of colour), that's a bit like the old Paul Newmans...

On the old models, the more 'exotic' dials which differentiated the ones that became known as Paul Newman from the normal dials of the time (even where the normal dials had solid (panda / reverse panda) subdials, had the following features:

- subdials have a different art deco style font and the dashes have squares on the end; the minutes subdial has 4 quadrants ie 15,30,45,60 rather than 20 40 60.

- the seconds are marked on a separate track around the edge of the dial with a different background colour to the main dial

- the 5 minute markers are small square blocks rather than rectangles / longer baton markers

- the seconds on the track and the 'daytona' text (if there is any daytona text) may be in a third colour e.g. red (but not always)

The current model in YG doesn't have the art deco font or the square dashes on subdials or the 4 quadrants, the separate background colour for the seconds track, the small blocks for 5-min markers. It doesn't have any of that stuff that Paul Newman's watch had.

Stylistically, apart from having red on the daytona text and seconds markers, it's like the non PN one on the left on the image below, rather than the PN one on the right (image borrowed from hodinkee, originally from antiquorum.com):

I suppose the OP is saying that if you look at old Daytonas, the colour scheme of the current yellow gold OF is a bit like this one below, which is considered a 'PN'-type exotic dial with champagne subdials on black, and a black bezel, and a gold case.

But 'similar colour scheme to one of the PNs' doesn't mean you should call it a PN.

Anyway, back to the OP's question:

I don't have this one (116518), instead I have the 116519LN (white gold model, grey / steel dial on oysterflex). I'm not much of a fan of yellow gold.

But for me it was very easy to 'get past the rubber strap'. It's a great strap which is comfortable and stays in place, the strap and ceramic bezel won't scratch and scuff the same way a soft PM would, and the contrast of the black strap against the precious metal case looks very nice, and you still get a proper PM clasp. I preferred it to a full precious metal bracelet .

While a precious metal bracelet is more 'traditional', some would describe that as 'timeless' while others would say 'old fashioned'. I'm not a YG guy although I think perhaps the oysterflex suits the white gold better than the yellow gold because the rubber strap in black is a good contrast against the silvery steel dial, while a yellow gold bracelet might be a better contrast against the black dial of the yellow gold model.

I've had my 116519LN less than a couple of months but it's my favourite watch. If you prefer the colour scheme of the 518LN, go for it.

I posted a few thoughts on mine (and a bit more detail about the strap) on this thread last month: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=751003
Thanks. I have many white dial watches now otherwise the 116519LN could be a choice as well. Curious if the OF strap easily gets dirty with dusts or oily substances?