The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 26 February 2021, 07:18 AM   #1
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Cartier Santos WSSA0039, ADLC, black

I normally do not write a review but I did not see one of these watches and have been a Rolex buyer in the past. So this review is first impressions and wearing watch for a few hours.

Short Back Story: I normally buy Rolex, but I refuse to pay grey prices for hard to get SS Sport models. I do not have a relationship with a Rolex AD, so my chances are slim. I decided to look elsewhere for my next luxury piece. Just by chance I ran across this from a dealer on TRF

This review will be mostly first impressions because I have had the watch on my wrist for just a few hours.

The watch is light, sleek, and very stealthy looking. The all black on the bezel and case make it like no other Santos model I have ever seen or liked in the past. It comes with 2 straps, a rubber and black alligator. The straps are easy to remove at the lugs and clasp with just a push of a button. The rubber strap which is on the watch now is thicker at the top near the lugs and thinner as you move towards the deployment clasp. The small screws on each side of the strap are very interesting. I suspect the rubber strap will stretch over time because of the thinness of it. Cartier has you locked into one of their straps because of the way the strap slides in at the lugs. The rubber strap is very comfortable, have not tried the alligator strap, it is also thin and beautifully appointed. The watch is thin so it slides easily under a long sleeve shirt and I think looks very cool with a short sleeve shirt on. Cartier boxes are beautifully made and fit so nicely together.

Cartier states the material on the bezel and case is ADLC (Amorphous Diamond-Like Carbon). They say it is highly elastic, hard and extraordinary smooth. They say it is scratch free (we shall see) and finger print proof. So far so good on the latter. The 0039 is all black (bezel and case). Another version is the 0037 which has the black bezel but more of a SS look on the clasp. I think the all black is the way to go. If you want the other version (0037) it comes with the rubber strap and metal bracelet. You would not buy that bracelet for the 0039 because the colors don't work.

The Cartier warranty is 2 years on the movement, but you can go online and extend it to 8 years, who does not like that?

As stated above the watch comes with 2 bracelets and 1 deployment clasp. Each bracelet, the rubber or alligator has small holes in it for the clasp to catch and it does not need to be cut, it slides under the strap very neatly. Here are some pictures I previously posted on an Incoming thread. My pictures are just fair, especially the black alligator strap, it is really a nice dainty piece, well stitched. There is a small metal tool that comes with the watch. I do not know what it is there for, perhaps it is for the metal bracelet version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4009.jpg (87.4 KB, 1796 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4010.jpg (70.9 KB, 1766 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4011.jpg (82.4 KB, 1763 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4015.jpg (38.8 KB, 1753 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4016.jpg (77.5 KB, 1752 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4017.jpg (79.9 KB, 1752 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4021.jpg (90.8 KB, 1744 views)
BillA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 12:26 PM   #2
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Great looking piece, and Cartier makes great watches, across several model lines. I've been eyeing the Santos and the Tank for a couple of years, even their sporty lines have an elegance to them.

What drew you to the Santos over other models ? And this version, seems to be more casual than a bracelet. Had you tried out several models?

My issue with the Tank is narrowing down the specific model among the four or so sub categories. I have a Cartier boutique near me, go there from time to time to browse. I haven't become disillusioned or frustrated with Rolex, just that I have several, all that I really want at this point. Rolex offerings the last two years or so haven't really interested me. I have been diversifying my collection for a while, and a Cartier is an excellent addition.
Old 26 February 2021, 12:40 PM   #3
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
Great looking piece, and Cartier makes great watches, across several model lines. I've been eyeing the Santos and the Tank for a couple of years, even their sporty lines have an elegance to them.

What drew you to the Santos over other models ? And this version, seems to be more casual than a bracelet. Had you tried out several models?

My issue with the Tank is narrowing down the specific model among the four or so sub categories. I have a Cartier boutique near me, go there from time to time to browse. I haven't become disillusioned or frustrated with Rolex, just that I have several, all that I really want at this point. Rolex offerings the last two years or so haven't really interested me. I have been diversifying my collection for a while, and a Cartier is an excellent addition.
Hello Jack,
I was not looking for Cartier especially, was just surfing on the FS forum for non-Rolex and came across this watch a dealer was selling.

I consider myself an enthusiast not a collector. I do not have a lot of watches, but basically one good piece at a time and when I get sick of it, sell it on the FS forums. I have seen this Cartier line for years and it never turned me on, but when I saw this stealthy guy, I was intrigued. I went to Tourneau near me to see both the 0039 and 0037, it was an easy decision for me. I don’t care that much about the metal bracelet. This rubber guy is very sporty. Next time you go to the Cartier Boutique take a look at it.
Old 26 February 2021, 12:43 PM   #4
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post

Hello Jack,
I was not looking for Cartier especially, was just surfing on the FS forum for non-Rolex and came across this watch a dealer was selling.

I still do like Rolex but refuse to pay crazy prices for a SS sport watch.

I consider myself an enthusiast not a collector. I do not have a lot of watches, but basically one good piece at a time and when I get sick of it, sell it on the FS forums. I have seen this Cartier line for years and it never turned me on, but when I saw this stealthy guy, I was intrigued. I went to Tourneau near me to see both the 0039 and 0037, it was an easy decision for me. I don’t that much about the metal bracelet. This rubber guy is very shortly. Next time you go to the Cartier Boutique take a look at it.

Sorry for duplicate post....
Old 8 March 2021, 01:05 AM   #5
squall1
"TRF" Member

Congrats, nice watch and review. Wear it in good health!
squall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2021, 01:51 AM   #6
alonsowwss
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41
Amazing watch , wear in good health.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Old 11 July 2021, 12:19 AM   #7
WatchLuxe
"TRF" Member

Great review, thanks!
WatchLuxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 01:40 AM   #8
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

So now about 5 months later, some additional thoughts.

- wear the watch all the time.
- get lots of compliments.
- I have never used the alligator strap, only the rubber one, it has kept it shape don’t see any stretch.
- Lume is minimal. But you don’t buy a watch to tell time in the dark.
- Very comfy to wear as the first day I bought it.
- Keeping real good time, I set it occasionally to time.gov and seems to be fine.
- The all black looks really goes with everything. I can wear it as a dress piece and short sleeve sporty piece.
- When you compare to Rolex, the watch is well priced. Then again you cannot buy a sports SS Rolex piece easily at an AD. This is one of the reasons I looked into Cartier because of availability at AD’s and discounts from dealers.
Old 12 July 2021, 02:16 AM   #9
WatchtraderNY
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Great watch. Enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WatchtraderNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 04:28 PM   #10
discoramia
"TRF" Member

Very nice watch! I made an account just to see the pictures. Are you still loving it? I was considering a sub but may just get this. Do you use the leather strap much? i was told the rubber starts to look worn after a few months.
discoramia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 08:05 PM   #11
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoramia View Post
Very nice watch! I made an account just to see the pictures. Are you still loving it? I was considering a sub but may just get this. Do you use the leather strap much? i was told the rubber starts to look worn after a few months.
Still loving it.
Have never used the leather strap.
The rubber strap does not fade or look worn.

It is a different watch than a Submariner. If you can buy one at msrp then OK, but I do not pay premiums to gray dealers for a watch, but that is me.

Good luck.
Old 25 July 2021, 01:43 AM   #12
gilluminati204
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexRolexRolex
Thanks for the review. I accidentally came across this model last week and it blew me away. It's very hard to photograph due to the concave case.

I have gone through a lot of watches over the years and this one is by far the most comfortable piece I've ever tried on. I couldn't take it off the wrist and was blown away at how the overall watch looked in a mirror.

I did not expect to like it but fell in love lol. I'm certain it will be my next piece.

Happy Collecting !

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
gilluminati204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 02:00 AM   #13
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Great pics and review of an amazing piece. One of my partners at the firm has the skeleton version, which I'm always admiring.

How is the black finishing holding up after 6 months of daily wear? Any wear marks or has the black coating worn off at any of the edges?

Enjoy that beauty!

KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 07:29 AM   #14
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBM View Post
Great pics and review of an amazing piece. One of my partners at the firm has the skeleton version, which I'm always admiring.

How is the black finishing holding up after 6 months of daily wear? Any wear marks or has the black coating worn off at any of the edges?

Enjoy that beauty!

the ADLC coating is holding up great. I just looked at watch and it could pass for brand new. I do not see any scrapes or nicks. Nothing worn off.

Going to take the wife out to dinner tonight and will wear it.
Old 25 July 2021, 08:56 AM   #15
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
the ADLC coating is holding up great. I just looked at watch and it could pass for brand new. I do not see any scrapes or nicks. Nothing worn off.

Going to take the wife out to dinner tonight and will wear it.
That's great to hear, especially for a daily wear piece!

Congrats again and enjoy it in the best of health!
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 10:46 AM   #16
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Beautiful! Really like the ADLC.

I bought the ADLC strap and put it on my steel version. I think it looks great and it is crazy comfortable!!

IMG_5282.jpeg
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 12:01 PM   #17
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GST15 View Post

I bought the ADLC strap and put it on my steel version. I think it looks great and it is crazy comfortable!!

Attachment 1256289
Looks good
Old 1 December 2021, 02:50 PM   #18
PhillipK729
"TRF" Member

It looks really good.
PhillipK729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 03:40 AM   #19
PaulRP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Cartier
Great review. Thanks!
PaulRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 03:00 PM   #20
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Great watch. Thanks for the review!

Would be interested to see how the finish looks after a couple of years of use. For it to stay scratch free over time seems too good to be true… but you never know what a company like Cartier is able to pull off these days.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 12:32 PM   #21
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GST15 View Post

I love that. Wish they made the rubber bracelet for the medium size.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2022, 05:56 AM   #22
Jgives
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15500, Santos
I recently bought and love this watch. Great aesthetics with amazing history. IMO it’s a screaming deal in today’s watch environment.
Jgives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 03:38 AM   #23
bdg5593
"TRF" Member

What is your wrist size?
bdg5593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 06:39 AM   #24
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

So an update on this watch…

I sent the watch back to Cartier in Texas because it was running fast. They sent me fantastic packaging and a FEDEX label. Watch was shipped FEDEX 2nd-day air on 6/3, returned to me today, 6/28. I think that is fast turnaround. The only issue I have with Cartier CS is that they are silent along the way. Had I not called them, they never sent any message to me that the watch was received, in for service, and not until I received a FEDEX text, did I know the watch was on its way back to me. They package the watch beautifully in their red box and foam cushion.
I expected a quick regulation, in fact they did a complete service according to the paperwork, all under warranty. I just put it on and set the time, seems to be running well. Love the piece, the all black with the screws is unusual. Don’t think anyone will be disappointed with this watch. It is a great size.
Old 14 July 2022, 09:27 AM   #25
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

A further update:

It has been a few weeks since I got the watch back. I was concerned it was not holding regulation for 42 hours, I think it is really close, so no problems there. It is also keeping excellent time.

I think for the price, and from a luxo jewelry maker, this watch is well priced, especially when you compare to Rolex, which are hard to get.
Old 17 July 2022, 12:00 AM   #26
Jgives
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the updates, I’ll add one of my own:

Since purchasing in February this has become my daily. I also have the full ADLC version and like that it flies under the radar but still has a very nice wrist presence and some really beautiful details. It’s has a very stealthy look.

I’ve taken it swimming and I’ve knocked it a few times accidentally. The ADLC coating is impressive and my watch is still entirely scratch free and keeping great time. I don’t have a timegrapher, but after fully winding it may gain 2 or 3 seconds within 24 hrs. I don’t watch that closely and let mine wind down fairly often after a couple days of not wearing.

Overall I am very happy with my decision. My only wish is that a ADLC steel bracelet is released. I think that would complete the package. I do really like both the gator and rubber straps. I lean toward the rubber but the black gator is a very close second.
Old 17 July 2022, 12:05 AM   #27
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgives View Post
Thanks for the updates, I’ll add one of my own:

Since purchasing in February this has become my daily. I also have the full ADLC version and like that it flies under the radar but still has a very nice wrist presence and some really beautiful details. It’s has a very stealthy look.

I’ve taken it swimming and I’ve knocked it a few times accidentally. The ADLC coating is impressive and my watch is still entirely scratch free and keeping great time. I don’t have a timegrapher, but after fully winding it may gain 2 or 3 seconds within 24 hrs. I don’t watch that closely and let mine wind down fairly often after a couple days of not wearing.

Overall I am very happy with my decision. My only wish is that a ADLC steel bracelet is released. I think that would complete the package. I do really like both the gator and rubber straps. I lean toward the rubber but the black gator is a very close second.

Which model do you have? I have never worn the black gator strap, just the rubber, which I love.

If they came out with a black ADLC bracelet that would be interesting.
Old 17 July 2022, 02:20 AM   #28
Jgives
"TRF" Member

Same model as you. Give the gator a whirl. I used some leather conditioner on mine, worked it in pretty good, and it softened up really nicely. It picks up the look from casual to business casual :)

It looks like you have a cream or khaki gator bracelet as well. You haven’t tried that one either? I was intrigued by what that may look like. Love to see some pics if you wouldn’t mind…
Old 17 July 2022, 04:25 AM   #29
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgives View Post
Same model as you. Give the gator a whirl. I used some leather conditioner on mine, worked it in pretty good, and it softened up really nicely. It picks up the look from casual to business casual :)

It looks like you have a cream or khaki gator bracelet as well. You haven’t tried that one either? I was intrigued by what that may look like. Love to see some pics if you wouldn’t mind…
It is the black alligator strap but a lousy picture!
Old 17 July 2022, 05:51 AM   #30
Jgives
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
It is the black alligator strap but a lousy picture!
This is black? Is it like the optical illusion dress that was going around?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E168B063-17D5-4D99-9445-D00F8058A564.jpeg (49.4 KB, 724 views)