The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 April 2021, 12:05 AM   #1
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Ming 17.09 Announcement

MING just announced their latest watch, the final installment of the 17 series, the 17.09 - https://ming.watch/blogs/journal/min...ch-information

And they are attempting to address the availability issue by introducing a "time limited batch", where any order placed within a 10 minute window will be guaranteed. I think this is a great decision, even if the orders will take a while to get fulfilled - https://ming.watch/blogs/journal/time-limited-orders

Heres a teaser of the 17.09:

thesingularity7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2021, 12:53 AM   #2
beefeater21
"TRF" Member

This actually seems like a reasonable system! Just gotta block my calendar for the drop. I like it!
beefeater21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2021, 01:51 AM   #3
madgpol
"TRF" Member

Tempted as well. At least they are trying to look out for potential customers
madgpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2021, 02:36 AM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Love Ming and what they're doing.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2021, 03:25 AM   #5
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefeater21 View Post
This actually seems like a reasonable system! Just gotta block my calendar for the drop. I like it!
Don't worry, I'll be here screaming and shouting leading up to the release. I'm hoping to be able to pick one up too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgpol View Post
Tempted as well. At least they are trying to look out for potential customers
Absolutely. I think this is the first step towards setting up a direct brand to consumer system that is fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Love Ming and what they're doing.
Me too. I really enjoy their designs, and its refreshing to see designs borrowed from the future and not from the past
Old 6 April 2021, 04:24 AM   #6
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
This has my attention - I looking forward to seeing what the release looks like April 12 - definitely keeping an eye on it.
Old 6 April 2021, 06:11 AM   #7
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesingularity7 View Post
Me too. I really enjoy their designs, and its refreshing to see designs borrowed from the future and not from the past

Of course Rolex is classic with smallish variations. Some manufacturers seem to be trying too hard and missing the mark, thus alienating their enthusiasts.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2021, 07:50 AM   #8
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
This has my attention - I looking forward to seeing what the release looks like April 12 - definitely keeping an eye on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post

Of course Rolex is classic with smallish variations. Some manufacturers seem to be trying too hard and missing the mark, thus alienating their enthusiasts.
True. My intention wasn't a jab at Rolex, but a jab at all the new brands that try to buy heritage and regurgitate old design ideas instead of doing any real creative work themselves.
Old 8 April 2021, 12:25 AM   #9
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

In looking on Chrono 24...are people really trying to sell (and are people buying) used Ming watches for 4 times what they cost originally?
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 02:03 AM   #10
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
In looking on Chrono 24...are people really trying to sell (and are people buying) used Ming watches for 4 times what they cost originally?
my guess would be they are trading over retail - limited availability and hype from Hodinkee. At $21XX I'm in - anything beyond that there's too many other options.
Old 8 April 2021, 04:15 AM   #11
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
my guess would be they are trading over retail - limited availability and hype from Hodinkee. At $21XX I'm in - anything beyond that there's too many other options.
if you sell a ming watch you bought from them directly you will be blacklisted by the company if they find out.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 05:49 AM   #12
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

And the prices on Chrono24 are $4950 and up.

Can't wait to see what this new release looks like.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 06:08 AM   #13
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
if you sell a ming watch you bought from them directly you will be blacklisted by the company if they find out.
I think that's fair - I'd imagine they eventually would be ok with a worn piece being sold after some time... I've personally never handled a Ming in person and am very interested in this piece that's coming out - seems like it's attainable within a reasonable process. The teaser is thought provoking-
Old 13 April 2021, 12:18 AM   #14
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
https://ming.watch/products/ming-17-09-burgundy
https://ming.watch/products/ming-17-09-blue
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 12:36 AM   #15
cjwhitey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
I commend Ming for rethinking the release/sales process. The 10 minute window concept is an interesting one, particularly for a newer brand that has seen much success. I have never purchased a Ming before, so I would not be a part of release window 1, and I have a feeling the 150 of each color will sell out shortly in release window 2, so I would need to complete my purchase during that 3rd 10-minute release, but it's pretty cool knowing I can definitely get one if I decide I want it.

What are people's thoughts of the 17.09? I think the laser-etched, lume-filled crystal is a really cool feature, as is the independent hour hand mechanism. I give Ming a lot of credit for continuing to innovate, even on their "entry-level" models.
Old 13 April 2021, 12:50 AM   #16
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Ming 17.09 Announcement

I can’t decide blue or red. What are folks thinking? I have a feeling red will sell quicker (and maybe has a nicer strap).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Topspin14m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 12:54 AM   #17
Watch2019
"TRF" Member

I am more concerned with the logistical aspect, namely, whether their IT system will be robust enough to handle the orders coming in during the 3rd phase. I intend to order the blue one during this phase as I love its look. Also love the independent hour hand mechanism though it’s merely convenient and not close to necessary since the watch does not come with a date. Will see how things turn out this Friday.
Watch2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 12:56 AM   #18
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO;PP5230G
Torn as well, I would be happy with either
Rexplorer214270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 01:14 AM   #19
christianj
Banned

I'm on the fence too about which color I like more. I'm drawn to the blue but think the red/burgundy is less common. Do not like the pics of the red/burgundy that are part of the press release (link above). On IG the color is much more vibrant.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNkScYHrcrW/
christianj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 01:32 AM   #20
Akkis
"TRF" Member

I hope I can get one. Ive been dying to get my hands on a Ming or Kurono watch for a while now but always miss out.

I love the burgandy (I have a blue dial SBGE255) so want some variety. I may get another strap or maybe even the bracelet (550 bucks for it....ouch).

Do you think the burgandy could be used as a dress watch or is it better to go with blue for more neutral.
Akkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 01:49 AM   #21
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkis View Post
I hope I can get one. Ive been dying to get my hands on a Ming or Kurono watch for a while now but always miss out.

I love the burgandy (I have a blue dial SBGE255) so want some variety. I may get another strap or maybe even the bracelet (550 bucks for it....ouch).

Do you think the burgandy could be used as a dress watch or is it better to go with blue for more neutral.

I actually see the burgundy as closer to a dress watch. The blue has a less formal strap and seems like a very bright shade of blue. Red seems like it’ll be brilliant, but perhaps more muted under certain lighting. Based on what I’m seeing online, my current bet is that the red sells more. Just anecdotal though. We shall see!

Old 13 April 2021, 01:54 AM   #22
Akkis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin14m View Post
I actually see the burgundy as closer to a dress watch. The blue has a less formal strap and seems like a very bright shade of blue. Red seems like it’ll be brilliant, but perhaps more muted under certain lighting. Based on what I’m seeing online, my current bet is that the red sells more. Just anecdotal though. We shall see!

Hopefully that still means I can get one. I cant deal with these insane grey market prices for them. Its like 3x the retail cost which is insane. I hope that 10 minute window means everyone gets it no matter what.
Old 13 April 2021, 02:13 AM   #23
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Feels like a swatch watch release hype.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 02:35 AM   #24
christianj
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrpdc View Post
Feels like a swatch watch release hype.
If it's not for you so be it.
christianj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 02:48 AM   #25
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hopefully that still means I can get one. I cant deal with these insane grey market prices for them. Its like 3x the retail cost which is insane. I hope that 10 minute window means everyone gets it no matter what.

Agreed! I worry their payment processor will get slammed though!

Old 13 April 2021, 03:01 AM   #26
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I like to believe that Ming will honor any order that is placed during that 10 minute window, and if things break down, I hope they'll figure out a way to honor the orders that were intended to go through. Eg: Kurono opened up orders again on the Mori because of a technical error and gave folks a second crack at it.

I say this because it looks like Ming is ready to support a massive order of these watches (based on their 10 minute order window idea), so if they're willing to do that, it seems reasonable that they won't let a technical glitch (on their end, or their payment gateway) deter potential orders.

Onto the difficult question - burgundy or blue
Old 13 April 2021, 03:37 AM   #27
Akkis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesingularity7 View Post
I like to believe that Ming will honor any order that is placed during that 10 minute window, and if things break down, I hope they'll figure out a way to honor the orders that were intended to go through. Eg: Kurono opened up orders again on the Mori because of a technical error and gave folks a second crack at it.

I say this because it looks like Ming is ready to support a massive order of these watches (based on their 10 minute order window idea), so if they're willing to do that, it seems reasonable that they won't let a technical glitch (on their end, or their payment gateway) deter potential orders.

Onto the difficult question - burgundy or blue
For me I think I will be going Burgundy, still debating ordering the bracelet as well.
Old 13 April 2021, 04:16 AM   #28
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For me I think I will be going Burgundy, still debating ordering the bracelet as well.

If you order the bracelet today, does that make you a prior customer?

Old 13 April 2021, 04:23 AM   #29
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

I'm leaning towards the Burgundy. Something just different enough. I like what they did here - 38mm - dial the pops - relatively reasonable price point. I'll be tuning in April 15th at 9am to try to secure one. If that doesn't work I'm sure I can get in on the 10 minute window.
Old 13 April 2021, 04:30 AM   #30
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO;PP5230G
is the 10 min window just for April 16 or does that apply to the 15th as well?
Rexplorer214270 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
17.09 , ming , ming 17 , release , watch